• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(08-08-2017, 04:42 PM)
So these details come from the newest Famitsu issue via both Shinki Mikami and the game's director, John Johanas, talking about the direction of The Evil Within 2. There's a bit of a summary of some of the key points here in Japanese, but I'm going to extend on them in English here.

There's some very interesting information here, I'm going to breakdown the bullet points.

-Development for The Evil Within 2 began in Summer of 2015.

-Instead of dictating the way to play like the original game did (and clarifying the original game sort of had a certain style you had to play in chapter by chapter, often with limited options in what you could and couldn't do), they want players to be able to play The Evil Within 2 anyway they like. They restrained forced stealth and combat sections to instead rather have multiple options in about any scenario, allowing players to choose whether to fight, sneak, flee, or use traps/the environment to kill. There will be scenarios where certain methods will certainly be much tougher to pull off, but they designed TEW2 so all options should almost always at least be possible.

-The game has three difficulty levels at the start, "Casual," "Normal," and "Nightmare." They mention that there are some severe differences between the three difficulties, anyone who wants to be challenged and aching for supplies should play Nightmare, but Mikami recommends actually to start with Casual difficulty as while it's certainly much easier it still isn't exactly a cakewalk either, and for the next point.

-The narrative was a big focus for The Evil Within 2, they don't want to reveal too much but they think The Evil Within 2 actually has an amazing story, which was never a focus for the original but they think the story in the sequel will surprise a lot of people. Especially in the second half of the game when it really begins to kick into gear. Mikami recommends Casual difficulty because he wants people to be able to experience the story even if they are somewhat new to the genre and doesn't want to frustrate gamers with blockades in difficulty if they're here to enjoy the story, and warns that with this decision to make Casual Mode more accessible they cracked down to make Nightmare Mode truly nightmarish.

-The story for TEW2 is connected to the original game, but there will be something in the sequel that gives the information needed from the original game for those who hadn't played it. They want The Evil Within 2 to have things for fans of the original, but also be accessible for people who never played the original game.

-For horror, this time around they focused on 'fear' rather than grotesqueness. The original game had a grotesque theme to fit with Ruvik's mental state, but the sequel while still having that morbidness has a much stronger root in the fears humans have, what people are afraid of in the back of their minds coming into existence.

-They mention the focus for The Evil Within 2 was not just to increase the horror aspects, the leading focus of The Evil Within 2 this time around actually was story but they want to keep most of that a surprise. They've also made various improvements to play style choice, and to accomplish this have made great improvements in the game's combat, stealth, movement, and trap areas.

-They confirm the game still has unlockables like the original game did, as well as ways to customize yourself with upgrades and skills (this retreads over some recent info you can read here, so I won't list it here).

-The game is still split into chapters, but in a much different way than the original game was. They say there's far fewer chapters but a lot more that happens in each chapter, and it sounds like most everything they've shown so far for the game is from Chapter 1. They hint that each chapter has a big 'open' hub world at the center of it and various stages to each one. They also say there won't be many loading screens in The Evil Within 2.

-The game will start the player off in a much wider stage, and the game more than the original will let players play the game at their own pace. There are various missions you can take on in each bigger area, some are main missions while others are completely optional.

---

Apparently we also will certainly see more before the game's release in two months, but they've opted to keep most of it a surprise this time around but believe they've made something that will stick with people.

---

UPDATE:

New interview with the French site Jeux Video.

One of the key things Mikami says in the interview is if the original The Evil Within was closer to Resident Evil 4 than RE1, The Evil Within 2 is much closer to Resident Evil 1 than RE4. He wouldn't go too full into detail here, but touched a bit on this, commenting that The Evil Within 2 features more downtime, exploration, and unlocking new areas than the previous one did, but there's more to that comparison but he wants to keep it more of a secret for now.

Some other key bits from the interview:

-They mention a big emphasis for them this time is atmosphere, they think what hook people over a longer period is good characters, atmosphere, over action set-pieces and they're exploring that in TEW.

-They mention they made the casual difficulty much easier to be more accessible to casual audiences.

-They mention The Evil With 2 is somewhere between a psychological thriller and survival-horror.

-Mikami talks about how he's open for Tango to try other things, and even other horror games since many on the team are passionate about horror and they had before TEW2 tossed around a very different sort of horror game, but they got an idea for TEW2 they all decided they had to make, and so they're going through with bringing that to reality.

-They basically confirm that they don't want The Evil Within 2 to be the last TEW game, they're planning it as a long-lasting franchise and hope to prove it's ability to be that with this game.

-Mikami actually really liked Resident Evil 7.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 08-11-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Erevador
(08-08-2017, 04:46 PM)
This really does sound like the Silent Hill 2 of this franchise. A focus on subtler and more psychological fear over the purely grotesque, and a much stronger emphasis on story and character, along with more open hub environments.

I am predicting that this game will be something truly special. The survival horror we've been waiting for.
-MD-
(08-08-2017, 04:50 PM)
Nightmare unlocked from the start? Now I need to decide if I wanna start on Nightmare or save it for my 2nd playthrough, that was my favorite difficulty in the first one.

Wish it was October already.
I3rand0
(08-08-2017, 04:53 PM)
Was Akumu difficulty confirmed yet?
heckmanimation
(08-08-2017, 04:53 PM)
scare me mikami!

so excited for this. albeit very apprehensive still.
Apdiddy
(08-08-2017, 04:54 PM)
I wonder if Akumu Mode will make a return and allowing different ways to play will make it slightly easier. I dread/look forward to trying it but I already know how difficult Akumu Mode was on TEW1.
strafer
(08-08-2017, 04:55 PM)
I'm still sad that none of the original actors are returning.
Orb
Literally everything im hearing is making me so goddamn excited. Im legit shivering.

Im excited to try out the new stealth, and im glad theyre pandering to me with pushing casual difficulty :p i say as ive beaten bloodborne and ds3 multiple times
TheBigG753
Everything about this sounds like what I wanted from the first game. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Zeneric
(08-08-2017, 04:56 PM)
Oct is so close yet so far away.
Rarius
(08-08-2017, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Erevador

This really does sound like the Silent Hill 2 of this franchise. A focus on subtler and more psychological fear over the purely grotesque, and a much stronger emphasis on story and character, along with more open hub environments.

I am predicting that this game will be something truly special. The survival horror we've been waiting for.

This is really what I wanted from the first game. I felt like they went back on a lot of choices that would have made the game way more interesting.

Character design was one of them for sure. A lot of the character's original outfits in the first game looked more surreal and sorta not of our reality in the first place, sorta time displaced. Hell, the Antagonist of the new game looks like the original design for Ruvik
Orb
(08-08-2017, 04:59 PM)

Id agree if Silent Hill 1 wasnt the superior game 👌
BadWolf
(08-08-2017, 04:59 PM)
Good stuff.

I'll mostly be on media black out moving forward, especially now that they seem to be really focusing on story.

Psychological horror over gore is a welcome direction change.

RE7 failed me, hope this delivers.
Pilgrimzero
(08-08-2017, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Orb

Id agree if Silent Hill 1 wasnt the superior game 👌

I'd agree if SH didn't shit on this series from a great height.

Was not a fan of TEW 1, but keeping an eye on 2 and hoping to be surprised. Always on the look out for a good horror game.
Ray Down
(08-08-2017, 05:08 PM)
Friday 13th can't come any sooner.
BadWolf
(08-08-2017, 05:13 PM)
The hub world/mission thing is actually pretty interesting in that they are mixing up on the kind of progression people have become used to in the genre.

Feels like they are taking some inspiration from Siren and their old timeline/mission structure.

This could go either really wrong or allow for a lot of replay value.

Oh and on the story front, here's hoping they aren't dumb this time and don't put most of it in DLC.
Last edited by BadWolf; 08-08-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Rap2thaMoon
(08-08-2017, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by strafer

I see you're point, that it makes the sequel feel more like a continuation than a direct to dvd one instead, that has none of the same actors yet play the same characters or maybe you have an other reason for wanting too keep the original cast, the thing is Sebastian and Kidman voice actors were bad or average if you want to be kind. I didn't feel anything for them, they sounded bored, disinterested especially Jennifer Carpenter, voice actress for Juli Kidman. So the new most likely cast will be an improvement.
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!
(08-08-2017, 05:20 PM)
Thanks for keeping us posted, Dusk! So excited for this game.

Though I wonder if Lord Mikami is directing his own project since he's only producing here. Would be amazing.
Voliko
(08-08-2017, 05:20 PM)
On one hand I am wary of having "'many options" and the game sounding much more open, but on the other hand I think it's good that they are doing something new. Very glad to hear Nightmare is unlocked from the start.
BadWolf
(08-08-2017, 05:24 PM)

Originally Posted by BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!

Though I wonder if Lord Mikami is directing his own project since he's only producing here. Would be amazing.

On the one hand yeah, I was kinda hoping that he was working on something else but then again the more he is involved with TEW2 the better its chances of being great.
wild wild rice
(08-08-2017, 05:29 PM)
Thank you for info, Dusk!

I am going to wait for reviews/community feedback before buying, but I like most of what I am hearing.
kodecraft
(08-08-2017, 05:43 PM)
Looking forward to it, we'll see what they got in store for this one.
Fisty
(08-08-2017, 06:13 PM)
More story focus, more "open" structure and not being shackled to 7th gen make me really excited about this.

Hoping they dropped Akumu and just make Nightmare balls hard. I love a challenge, but Akumu being just one-hit kill was kind of a cop out imo
Aesnath
(08-08-2017, 06:21 PM)
I really wanted to like the first one, so I'm viewing this as a chance at redemption. I still suspect that there was a good game in TEW, but I wasn't willing to chew through the crap to get there. Hopefully streamlining and a more cohesive narrative will help this realize its potential.
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(08-08-2017, 06:22 PM)

Honestly I've been getting some loose SH2 vibes, though I do think this game will be quite different than SH2. But I know what you mean, in the sense it's refined and more honed-in narrative experience to the original Evil Within, improving and re-contextualizing various aspects of the original game to make it a similar but very different beast. And with a focus on telling a story rather than strictly being a scary game, more thought put into it as a whole.

Originally Posted by -MD-

Nightmare unlocked from the start? Now I need to decide if I wanna start on Nightmare or save it for my 2nd playthrough, that was my favorite difficulty in the first one.

Wish it was October already.

Seems like it, being an avid horror lover I'm going to go with Nightmare first I've decided but I'm curious if there may be some drastic differences like the original. Also hope there's an unlockable difficulty.

I'll probably sit and think on this a bit more, but something to think about.

Originally Posted by I3rand0

Was Akumu difficulty confirmed yet?

Not yet, though this one does touch on difficulties and says there's unlockables in TEW2 like the original, so something akin to it I wouldn't be too surprised of.

A big part of this is probably the actor strike, but alas. In the end I'll judge how I feel on this once I've heard more of the current actors. I remember Sebastian's and Ruvik's voice well enough, but I wasn't super attached to either I'd be upset they were replaced, but of course that greatly depends on who they're replaced by.

Originally Posted by Orb

Literally everything im hearing is making me so goddamn excited. Im legit shivering.

Im excited to try out the new stealth, and im glad theyre pandering to me with pushing casual difficulty :p i say as ive beaten bloodborne and ds3 multiple times

I think it's good they emphasized a bit more to let casual audiences play. I want a challenge personally, but I appreciate accessibility (especially if this has a stronger narrative focus like they claim). The original game I hear from many was still pretty tough on casual (I can't say as I haven't played it on that difficulty personally).

Originally Posted by BadWolf

The hub world/mission thing is actually pretty interesting in that they are mixing up on the kind of progression people have become used to in the genre.

Feels like they are taking some inspiration from Siren and their old timeline/mission structure.

This could go either really wrong or allow for a lot of replay value.

Oh and on the story front, here's hoping they aren't dumb this time and don't put most of it in DLC.

I'm curious how they handle it fully too. Depending on how it goes down, it could either be an awesome new thing or could be a real hindrance to the overall experience. I have faith though, it's certainly different from the usual horror game structure though. Honestly it reminds me most of Silent Hill/Siren in some of the ways it's described, though a bit more modern. I hope it keeps those horror focuses on it rather than being more of modern empty open-world set-up, but again I have faith in the team on this.

Originally Posted by BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!

I talked about this with a friend recently, but I have my sneaking suspicion that Tango wants to be a bigger Japanese game studio like Platinum currently is, they recently have been greatly expanding their team and apparently are doing some pretty mass big hires next April (but sent out the want for such a few months ago). I think they will continue to make The Evil Within games if they do well due to things both them and Bethesda have said, but I think they may also be expanding the team so they can work on more than one game at a time so they can make other things rather than just Evil Within games. Also there's some hires they made which don't seem like they're related to TEW at all in the past few years, such as hires related to online network multiplayer coding.

Originally Posted by Voliko

On one hand I am wary of having "'many options" and the game sounding much more open, but on the other hand I think it's good that they are doing something new. Very glad to hear Nightmare is unlocked from the start.

I can understand the weariness, but it'll be seen how it goes down soon enough. I tend to have faith for a few reasons I could go into, but I have a good feeling for TEW2 from what I've seen and read.
Samurai G0SU
(08-08-2017, 06:25 PM)
i cant wait
Fancy Clown
(08-08-2017, 06:30 PM)
This all sounds very promising, but I have two concerns:
1) making both stealth and action playstyles viable in every encounter. I'm hoping this won't homegenize the encounters into sort of samey combat bowls with lame enemy patrol routes rather than the string of super creative, but more restrictive, encounters of the first game, especially if a lot of the gameplay takes place in more multipurpose hub areas. I'm less worried about this one tbh just based on what we've seen from the trailers and that they said some sections it will be harder to do one playstyle versus another.

2) the emphasis on story. I definitely hope the story is better this time around, but not if it means more forced walking narrative moments or unskippable cutscenes or something.

But other than those, neither of which I'm super concerned about right now, this sounds like it's gonna be a fanstastic evolution of the first game.

Originally Posted by BadWolf

Almost all that stuff was in the main game, you just had to figure it out for yourself instead of having periodic expository dumps that spell it all out.
SilentRob
(08-08-2017, 06:30 PM)
Knowing that the director of the DLCs is the director here is giving me confidence, I loved those. Everything they are talking about regarding the story is great, too, that was one of my biggest gripes: THe game just never went anywhere with its great premise.
UrbanRats
(08-08-2017, 06:34 PM)
I thought the story in EW was pretty cool tbh, despite the bland characters and general corny-ness (Resident Evil style).
Especially with the twists in the Kidman DLC.
For being the first entry in the franchise, it got me hooked into the lore, in a way no RE ever did.

I'm interested in seeing how they play with that.

EDIT: But yeah it was a dick move to put 90% of the story in the DLC.
SomTervo
(08-08-2017, 06:38 PM)
My god this sounds phenomenal. Think it's day one for me.

Playing the original's DLC right now and it is awesome.
Neff
(08-08-2017, 06:43 PM)
Buying day one, no question, since I loved the original, but I'm still not sold on the choice of director. I'd be much, much happier if Mikami himself was steering the ship.

This really does sound like the Silent Hill 2 of this franchise.

yuck
Ac3kas
(08-08-2017, 06:44 PM)
Replaying the 1st one for the 3rd time, while I really like gameplay it definitely lacks a story, until late chapters it's mostly running around shooting muertos and thinking "is it for real or I'm going nuts". If they will improve story telling like they claim then we will have damn good survival-horror game and one of the 2017 highlights.
AgentOtaku
(08-08-2017, 06:45 PM)

Really!?

:(

I mean, i understand them not really being able to get Jackie or Mount, but still

I REALLY did love Mount's detached, depan delivery
Waddle Dee
(08-08-2017, 06:45 PM)
Not really a fan of all the "play the game your own way" talk in interviews since one of my favorite aspects of TEW was how focused it was.

I've beaten TEW on Akuma a few times in the past so I think I'll ignore the warnings and start it up on Nightmare. :)
Neiteio
(08-08-2017, 06:49 PM)
This sounds SO GOOD
Fancy Clown
(08-08-2017, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Neff

Buying day one, no question, since I loved the original, but I'm still not sold on the choice of director. I'd be much, much happier if Mikami himself was steering the ship.

I dunno, given that he only had those barebones stealth mechanics to work with (and limited team and time) I thought he did a remarkable job bringing the variety of encounter design and pacing of the main games over. Stuff like the glow stick segment and Joseph boss fight were hella intense.

I think with the full breadth of mechanics and development team and timetable, with Mikami right there along side to help steer the ship, this will turn out just fine. I don't know if it will be able to top the first game on every respect yet, but I think it will definitely be a worthy sequel.
Ac3kas
(08-08-2017, 06:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Waddle Dee

Not really a fan of all the "play the game your own way" talk in interviews since one of my favorite aspects of TEW was how focused it was.

I've beaten TEW on Akuma a few times in the past so I think I'll ignore the warnings and start it up on Nightmare. :)

My guess it's for those people that are more like a casual gamers if I may express myself that way and so they simply don't abandon the game due to picking up difficulty too high for them.
tesqui
(08-08-2017, 06:52 PM)
The fact that it's structured like a Mario game with chapters representing worlds and a bunch of levels within is really amusing to me. Pleasantly surprised how different this seems to be from the first.
Neiteio
(08-08-2017, 06:53 PM)
Main thing I want out of TEW2 is more amazing iconic monsters you encounter multiple times. The first game's trifecta of Sadist/Keeper/Laura was so good, especially the latter two. So far it looks like Obscura (I believe that's what the camera-headed creature is called) and what fans are calling "Sawblade Laura" are among the recurring baddies we'll encounter. Really looking forward to them, because the first game's stalker monsters were memorable to the point they could carry their own horror film franchises. I hope the monsters in TEW2 make an equally strong impression. :-)
Anung
Un Rama
Very pleased with everything I'm hearing about this. Sounds like they are really trying to up their game. I just hope they do the same with the technical aspects.

I'll probably be going into black out mood as I want everything else to be a surprise.
Last edited by Anung; 08-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Wanderer5
One of these days, I am going to get around to the first game, or just skip to this one! (Nah probably not)

The whole whatever playstyle you want thing is going to be a bit interesting.
Ac3kas
(08-08-2017, 06:56 PM)
Hoping that black bars are not a thing this time around or at least it's optional.
ST2K

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

-Instead of dictating the way to play like the original game did (and clarifying the original game sort of had a certain style you had to play in chapter by chapter, often with limited options in what you could and couldn't do), they want players to be able to play The Evil Within 2 anyway they like. They restrained forced stealth and combat sections to instead rather have multiple options in about any scenario, allowing players to choose whether to fight, sneak, flee, or use traps/the environment to kill. There will be scenarios where certain methods will certainly be much tougher to pull off, but they designed TEW2 so all options should almost always at least be possible.

...Dammit.

I had written this series off completely based on how frustrating and inconsistent the first one was, but this bit makes me wonder if they've actually addressed it.

Now I have to put another game on my watch list this year. *sigh*
UrbanRats

Originally Posted by Ac3kas

My guess it's for those people that are more like a casual gamers if I may express myself that way and so they simply don't abandon the game due to picking up difficulty too high for them.

That was actually one of the reasons i skipped this when it came out.
It just sounded very intimidating, difficulty-wise, and the people playing it also blew that aspect out of proportion, i think (bit like the "prepare to die" bullshit with Dark Souls).

So it's good that they're trying to get more people in that way.
Fancy Clown

Originally Posted by Neiteio

Main thing I want out of TEW2 is more amazing iconic monsters you encounter multiple times. The first game's trifecta of Sadist/Keeper/Laura was so good, especially the latter two. So far it looks like Obscura (I believe that's what the camera-headed creature is called) and what fans are calling "Sawblade Laura" are among the recurring baddies we'll encounter. Really looking forward to them, because the first game's stalker monsters were memorable to the point they could carry their own horror film franchises. I hope the monsters in TEW2 make an equally strong impression. :-)

There's also that flamethrower wielding dude that looks like a boss character that was briefly seen in the first gameplay trailer. The monster design looks incredibly on point so far (although I think I like the more gruesome designs for the haunted in the first game with gaping wounds and torture implements sticking out of them).

Originally Posted by Ac3kas

Hoping that black bars are not a thing this time around or at least it's optional.

Not a thing this time
dlauv
(08-08-2017, 06:57 PM)
Sounds like they're really aiming to make this game less of a mess. I might enjoy it this go around.

Altho I hope the "fears humans have" doesn't mean mannequins.
kunonabi
(08-08-2017, 06:58 PM)
Its certainly sounding way better than the first one so far.
Sir Ilpalazzo
(08-08-2017, 06:58 PM)
The first game had pretty phenomenal (and yeah, focused) combat encounters, so I definitely hope that the sequel doesn't feel too open and watered down. I felt like the first game did a decent job of making stealth just another part of your toolbox (once you got past the first few chapters, anyway).

Glad that Nightmare will be available from the start this time.
Crimsonclaw111
(08-08-2017, 06:59 PM)
The only complaint I had with the original was the FOV. Please allow me to adjust this time.
Fancy Clown
(08-08-2017, 07:02 PM)

Yeah there even seem to be some more overt nods to Silent Hill 2. We've seen some scenes where it looks like Sebastian is wearing the same jacket as the SH2 protagonist, the ballerina-like Obscura monster looks like one of the monsters in SH2, and trying to find a loved one in an American small town gone wrong all feel like they were inspired by SH2 to me.