• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unseen64 publishes the history and footage of Factor 5's cancelled Pilotwings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVM5NVqQpM&list=PLE51D8DC24EBCBFA5&index=1

-Factor 5 pitched a Pilotwings Wii game to Nintendo. Nintendo was interested but eventually passed on it because they wanted to do Pilotwings in Wii Sports Resort. Nintendo still encouraged Factor 5 to make the game, however.

-Factor 5 goes to this weird, tiny publisher "Green Screen Interactive" who agrees to publish the game and they start to make the Pilotwings game under the name "WeFly."

-Factor 5 built an open world Pilotwings game where you could go all around a condensed version of Earth in real time. You could visit the Big Ben and the Golden Gate Bridge. If it was raining in New York while you were in New York in the game, it would be raining in the game (via syncing up with the Wii Weather Channel)

-Nintendo was building a head tracking peripheral for Factor 5 that would have been released alongside the game.

-Green Screen Interactive went bankrupt after the 2008 recession and this caused Pilotwings to get cancelled.

The video has a fuckton of footage of the game so please watch.

Since I've gotten more interested on Pilotwings lately, I quite want to play this.

That footage looks like a quite impressive game for the Wii.
Though I don't really get Factor 5's tendency for making Nintendo games more mature and darker with the first pitch for Pilotwings on GameCube and Kid Icarus...

At least with WeFly it was on the right track to me.

Nanashrew

Banned
Fly around an entire planet without load times, accurate weather taken from the Wii Weather channel and accurate day and night cycles. Maaaaaan. They were really pushing the hardware and the footage shown looked incredible.

Garraboa

There's no justice in the world where the Wii wa deprived of promising stuff like this instead of the umpteenth Imagine Babiez Tigerz that it got flooded with.

tauroxd

Fly around an entire planet without load times, accurate weather taken from the Wii Weather channel and accurate day and night cycles. Maaaaaan. They were really pushing the hardware and the footage shown looked incredible.

Nintendo should have funded the game :(

Ridley327

This seemed really, really, really ambitious for a game targeting a more casual crowd. A shame that Factor 5's bad luck happened all at once.

OmegaFax

It'd be neat to see it revived as a VR or Switch title since it isn't really tied to a licensed property like the Rogue Squadron Wii port they were working on.

120v

i never knew this was a thing. looks more like a direct sequel to pilotwings 64 which i didn't care much for, but interesting either way

hopefully whenever nintendo gets around to VR they'll do pilotwings proper

bomblord1

Banned
So this many years later we finally get real footage of the revised Lair engine that they were getting more out of on the Wii than the PS3.

Jeez Factor 5 is just insane it still tears me up they went under. Only tech wizard studio we have left is Shinen.

Not sure I'd take flying around a condensed-scale Earth, doing missions here and there, over well-designed islands (and something like Little State from Pilotwings 64) with missions and easter eggs.

What I want is not another Pilotwings stuck on Wuhu or with just a few islands. Nintendo and Monster Games did a great job designing Resort and its missions and vehicles, but it was always a low-end, low budget game used to show the 3DS off at launch. I want a larger, more ambitious Pilotwings game at some point which signals the end of a console cycle instead.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Damn that looked fantastic.
Even sadder than not getting the game, complete with head tracking, is that a tremendously talented developer with strong ties to Nintendo was lost...

eso76

Shame about this. Shame about the cancellation of Xbox port of the star wars games and utter shame about that kind of head tracking never happening.
Better than 3d and not as hard to implement as VR.
Could have been a good half step while waiting for VR maturity.

conpfreak

That head tracking tech looked seriously impressive and cheap to produce. Had they developed a few Nintendo properties with that or if Nintendo implemented that into the Wii U instead of the tablet, things could have been different for the end of the Wii's lifespan and Wii U.

It's really unfortunate that Factor 5 as we knew it is no more, as there was surely some outstanding talent there.

Afrikan

OMG I have neen asking for a PilotWings clone for my PlayStation for a while now, since Nintendo didn't release a new one back then... if F5 did use their Lair engine to create this, man there could've been a small chance at a PlayStation port :(

That being said, I would've bought a Wii for this just one game.

I love PilotWings SNES,N64... I still listen to the music. I want a next gen version dammit. :/

jett

D-Member
People here like their Star Wars games, but personally I've always thought Factor 5's flight controls are absolutely awful, feels like you're flying a weightless paper airplane. Better that they didn't end up making a Pilotwings game as far as I'm concerned.

Very cool! One has to wonder if Pilotwings Resort would have ever come to be on 3DS if this had been released, given how similar they are in many ways.

MarkusRJR

Wow that looks so good for a Wii game. I wish Nintendo backed this back during the Wii days, especially considering the insane game droughts they had then. Shame to see it just disappear.

Makes me so sad to see interesting games get cancelled.

Rayis

Please get together and make this game again for the Switch complete with the head tracking technology!

jdstorm

Banned
Nintendo is like the Anti EA.

They just let great studios die by refusing to buy them vs buying great studios and then killing them.

jackal27

Banned
Such a sad video... the games looks excellent the added hardware they discuss sounds amazing. The Wii had so many useless peripherals. This actually sounds like one that would have added a lot to the console.

Factor 5 was such a class act that left a huge hole in the industry. I miss them a lot...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
A lot of the OP info isn't accurate. F5 and Nintendo were prototyping the Pilotwings concept on the GameCube. Supposedly the game didn't shape up fast enough to Nintendo's liking and they bailed. Factor 5 kept working on the game and retooled it several times under a new IP for potential publishers.

Wii Sports Resort was waaaay after. Nintendo actually developed their own Wii airplane prototype on the Wii that they never fully used.

jackal27

Banned
That looked fantastic. Third party publishers who passed on it can go eat shit.
To be fair, after the mess that was Lair, I can't really blame publishers for being wary of working with Factor 5, no matter how great their projects looked. That game was a huge embarrassment for Sony and basically became a meme for a season back in the day. I think that was the result of a lot of outside factors, but their name was still front and center on the project.

A lot of the OP info isn't accurate. F5 and Nintendo were prototyping the Pilotwings concept on the GameCube. Supposedly the game didn't shape up fast enough to Nintendo's liking and they bailed. Factor 5 kept working on the game and retooled it several times under a new IP for potential publishers.

Wii Sports Resort was waaaay after. Nintendo actually developed their own Wii airplane prototype on the Wii that they never fully used.

Uhh, no, the info in the OP is correct.

This Pilotwings game from Factor 5 has no connection with the Pilotwings game that Factor 5 tried to make on GameCube. The Wii game was a casual open world game. The GameCube game was a dark, edgy reboot set during the Cold War.

Factor 5 started making this Pilotwings Wii game back in like 2007-2008, long after they had cancelled the GameCube Pilotwings but around the same time Nintendo started making WiiSportsResort.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Factor 5 had one of the most impressive tech teams in the industry. I miss them :(

DLaicH

It's great to finally see footage of this game. I remember reading articles back then about how Factor 5 was about to push the Wii's hardware to its limits, and I was really eager to see what they were working on. At the time, the Wii was the only current gen console I owned, so I was hungry for games that could really push the technical envelope and overcome the Wii's limitations. When Factor 5 went under, I thought I would never get to see or hear anything more about it, so even though it's sad that this never came out, I feel a sense of closure after watching this video.

XandBosch

Man, they were an insanely talented development studio and Nintendo should regret every day that they didn't acquire them as a first party developer.

bomma_man

F5 seem like the kinda developer that needed strict guidelines set for them (ie Star Wars) because their own art design was... not great.

The people at Factor 5 were legends. Totally gonna watch this video. I hope the Rogue Squadron Trilogy on Wii gets leaked one day.

Kevtones

Really like the ideas in this game. Should've been a Nintendo 2nd party studio :(

Lunar landers on the moon?!
You can find Santa!?
Magic carpets!?

Top Bottom