• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian woman calls 911, shot dead by responding police in Minneapolis

Well on the bright side, maybe now that this victim is a white woman, and a citizen of another country at that, maybe it's a good time for some sweeping legislation to be enacted to stop cops from killing people.

Don't white people get killed by cops in this country more than any other race? I wouldn't hold my breath for any change just because she was white and foreign.

rjinaz

This one is directly related to the news story at least:

then it points out the REAL problem for some reason I guess?

I had never looked at Fox news comments before but my goodness it makes Youtube sound like the debate room at King's College.

Lol it really pisses them off that Black man is earning a lot money, or more so that his appearances are worth so much to other people I suppose. Trump can take money from the campaign, and make money from his position in unethical ways, but he's the right color, he deserves it.

He's not the President anymore! He should go back to living in his normal means where his type belongs, you know.

Camwi

Don't white people get killed by cops in this country more than any other race? I wouldn't hold my breath for any change just because she was white and foreign.

I'm not sure, all I know is I don't see all the horseshit smear campaigns on social media that I see when it's a black person who is killed.

In this case it's an attractive white woman who was shot, so maybe this fucked-up country will start caring about cops murdering civilians.

Lev

What's the point of body cameras if an officer has the option to turn it off or on. If they are going to use it, it should always stay on.

F34R

What's the point of body cameras if an officer has the option to turn it off or on. If they are going to use it, it should always stay on.

I don't think you want to hear/see me taking a bathroom break; what I'm talking to my wife about, etc.

I posted a link and a detailed list a little bit back on the responsibilities their officers have when it comes to body cams. Take a look.

When we wore them, we had to turn them on whenever we had any public interaction. We weren't required to have it on during private time unless something came up; i.e. eating lunch and someone walks up to us.

Always on is a bit ridiculous. Always on while performing your job is fine. They don't have infinite battery life. The ones we used 5+ years ago didn't last long at all. Our car cameras used VHS and we had to change the tapes out every six hours (they lasted 8) for our 12 hours shifts. Eventually, we backed it down to only having the car/body cams on when we had interactions with others. I always had my car cam on.

Lev

Always on is a bit ridiculous. Always on while performing your job is fine. They don't have infinite battery life. The ones we used 5+ years ago didn't last long at all. Our car cameras used VHS and we had to change the tapes out every six hours (they lasted 8) for our 12 hours shifts. Eventually, we backed it down to only having the car/body cams on when we had interactions with others. I always had my car cam on.

The cops knew there was a disturbance in the alley way, so why didn't they have it turned on? I know that someone has to actually sift through the footage, so it's a pain in the ass when someone actually has to edit the footage, but at least you won't miss footage when something like this actually happens.

F34R

The cops knew there was a disturbance in the alley way, so why didn't they have it turned on? I know that someone has to actually sift through the footage, so it's a pain in the ass when someone actually has to edit the footage, but at least you won't miss footage when something like this actually happens.

Going by their policy alone, their cameras should have been recording. Sifting through the footage isn't bad at all. Time stamps, etc., make if fairly easy to find something you're looking for.

They have a lot to answer for this for sure.

If your policy is to record when going to an event, why were the cameras off?
If their cameras weren't working; why were they even in service? Per your policy they shouldn't have been.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh shit.

Well there's Fox's headline for you.

Mohammed Noor ?

God-freaking-dammit .. I can already see the Fox headlines.

Why the fuck would Mr. Noor shoot from the car window when the woman was already talking to the other officer though ? That makes no sense.

Mohammed? I change my previous prediction, Fox will now talk about this constantly.

Literally went from a ray of hope born from a tragedy to an alt-right wet dream.

Blue lives matter, unless also brown. Open and shut case Johnson. Throw away the key. Probably too late to sprinkle some crack on himself.

I don't understand the story, why would he shoot across the seat like that while his partner was having a conversation. Something is off or missing from this story.

Feel so bad for the family she was just doing the right thing.

shandy706

You don't just randomly shoot someone while they're talking to you/your partner.

What in world?

Now I want to know what their story is. Did he draw his gun as a precaution and accidentally fire? Did she lunge into the car?

Man....if it's just an "oops"...unbelievable...well..I guess I'm not surprised actually.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don't just randomly shoot someone while they're talking to you/your partner.

What in world?

Now I want to know what their story is. Did he draw his gun as a precaution and accidentally fire? Did she lunge into the car?

Man....if it's just an "oops"...unbelievable...well..I guess I'm not surprised actually.

Yeah, something is missing. Extremely tragic for the innocent person to get shot but we know she was already talking to one of the officers through the window when the other one shot her through the driver side window.

Did the officer just snap ? did he have history of ourbursts ?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Not an accidental discharge, there are multiple reports stating that she died of multiple gunshot wounds.

This was a murder, period, she recognised the officer from something/somewhere she should not have done and was killed for it.

All in my fevered imaginations opinion.

Minnesota newspaper The Star Tribune reports Ms Damond was dressed in her pajamas when she went to the driver’s side door of the police vehicle that responded to the emergency call.

She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

I wonder what kind of story the police will make up to make it look like it was just an accident?

Not an accidental discharge, there are multiple reports stating that she died of multiple gunshot wounds.

This was a murder, period, she recognised the officer from something/somewhere she should not have done and was killed for it.

All in my fevered imaginations opinion.

There were multiple gunshots? I haven't heard that in any of the news stories I've seen about this. This story gets weirder and weirder.

American police training very obviously isn't fit for purpose. Even if you take every one of these officers who "felt threatened" at face value, and forget other factors, it's very obvious that they are woefully ill equipped and not fit to serve.

I have to agree with the son here. American policing does suck, and I'd be looking to get myself out of there too if I was him.

I wonder what kind of story the police will make up to make it look like it was just an accident?
I get the feeling there gonna throw him under the bus
mohamed-noor.jpg

This cop is done. A Somalian cop murdering a blonde white woman? I don't see a Minnesota jury letting this slide, they will probably recognize that a human life was prematurely taken.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
What's with the 'throw him under a bus' type comments? It's not like he is a scapegoat here. The guy murdered a woman, so hopefully he gets a proper punishment.

R0ckman

What's with the 'throw him under a bus' type comments? It's not like he is a scapegoat here. The guy murdered a woman, so hopefully he gets a proper punishment.

What's hard to understand? The issue is that if you screw up as an officer when you are white or pass for white, your fellow bros in blue will move heaven and earth to save you. If you are anything else, you are sacraficed to make it look like the system is just when really it just makes them look even worse.

blakep267

I don't think anybody is saying he should'nt be punished, but it's not going to result in any meaningful change because given who the officer is, the dept likely will turn their back on him and the jury will somehow finally convict a cop.

Then this will be used as the 1 excuse for when cops continue to kill people. "Well they do get convicted". Yeah, the 1 time a brown cop kills a white blonde woman. So yes, he's going to be used as the sacrifice to show that cops "do get convicted"

You are correct. he does deserve his punishment but cases like this don't help when the justice system will speed to convict brown and black cops properly but can't lift a finger to do the same for a white cop.

Top Bottom