• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Also, I gave Race07 a go with a wheel for the first time, but man, I cant just be arsed. Cant figure out how to get my H-gate to work properly. Cant get the steering 1:1 in-game without changing the global setting for the specific car. And I'm just generally feeling very little useful feedback(lots of force, but no detail about grip).
Yeah, I too am experiencing some ffb issues with Race07. I get no ffb at all, which is odd for such a bulletproof game.
First sim game: IndyCar Racing (Mac)
Wow, never knew there was a Mac version.

I haven't had a chance to reinstall Race07 yet to see for myself what the deal is. Maybe we should quickly switch to something else for the time being before the whole idea goes stillborn. Whatcha' think?

Zeknurn

I'm actually making one right now. Gimme a few minutes to get it situated.

EDIT: Here we go. I'll fancy it up a bit later, or if someone else with more of a clue than I wants to do something with it, I'll admin you.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFSimRacing

Join if you'd like. If nothing else, it helps with remembering who's who.

Joined. I have been wanting to upgrade my wheel for a while now and get back into sim racing.

Arucardo

I haven't had a chance to reinstall Race07 yet to see for myself what the deal is. Maybe we should quickly switch to something else for the time being before the whole idea goes stillborn. Whatcha' think?

I'm ok with that, was just about to ask about the whole hotlap thing actually.

I need a goal to get me back in to some serious driving instead of whatever car/track combo I feel like at the time. Even better if it's a track I'm not familiar with (which there are many).

Juicy Bob

Well, I did ask for people to voice their opinion on what theme we should do for a first time trial challenge, but I haven't had anything yet... :p

Well, I did ask for people to voice their opinion on what theme we should do for a first time trial challenge, but I haven't had anything yet... :p

Ooooh, I thought you were just throwing them out there, and that you were just going to pick one of them yourself to be the first one. Hell, I would have sent threatening PMs to people telling them to choose mine if that was the case!

Does everyone have AC? I think just about every person listed it except for Tchetil (I hate to exclude you straight away). Maybe we start there for simplicity sake. If you're turning laps and having a good time, maybe it'll loosen up those wallets when we get to something you don't have.

Just a stab. If there's something similarly popular, of course that'd be fine too.

Juicy, do you think you could come up with a nicely worded frame for a car track combo?

Seanspeed

Banned
Please don't go making any changes on account of me. I can still break out my 360 controller for Race07, which works well.

Not sure what's causing harvey's problems, though.

All right, well let me get Race07 installed first. I want to know where it stands. If it's unfixable for me too it gets thrown to the wolves.

EDIT: Ok, yeah. It needs some serious lovin' to get it up and controlling well. Typical gMotor stuff, but it's a tough ask to slog through it all. We'll get to it at some point once I know how to guide people better.

Akomix

Hey guys, I'm fairly new and am just getting into sim racing. I joined the steam group. I hope I'm able to jump in with some of you sometime soon!

Does everyone have AC? I think just about every person listed it except for Tchetil (I hate to exclude you straight away). Maybe we start there for simplicity sake. If you're turning laps and having a good time, maybe it'll loosen up those wallets when we get to something you don't have.
My suggestion would be to not only change the track/car per time trial, but the sim too. So perhaps begin with Race07, then AC, Game Stock Car, pCARS, RRRE, rFactor2, LFS, GPL or whatever. At least that way, everyone will get a chance to lap in their preferred sim. Or is that too much of a hassle?

Risgroo

Ooooh, I thought you were just throwing them out there, and that you were just going to pick one of them yourself to be the first one. Hell, I would have sent threatening PMs to people telling them to choose mine if that was the case!

Just a stab. If there's something similarly popular, of course that'd be fine too.

Juicy, do you think you could come up with a nicely worded frame for a car track combo?

I won't be able to play anything until mid-December, so don't worry about me!

Juicy Bob

I don't have Assetto Corsa because I'm poor and have old hardware, but I'm more than happy to organise a TT for you guys to do with it just to get something going!

Also, maybe I should fill this in as well...

Hardware: G27, four-year old laptop...
First sim game: Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 3 (which I couldn't play on the family PC at the time...)
Main sims: Race 07 and all the expansions, Game Stock Car Extreme, Codemasters F1 series (PS3)
Occasional sims: GPL, GTR2, F1C, GP4, Gran Turismo 5,
Favourite circuit type: Street circuits
Favourite car type: Single seaters
Real life experience: Track day around Silverstone GP circuit in a Radical SR4
Are you a good driver?: I'm not the fastest, but I'm a good driver who doesn't cause incidents often.

Arucardo

Just wanted to give a heads up on a drawing for an awesome buttonbox from Derek Speare Designs, all you need to do is enter through here (winner will be drawn TOMORROW):

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/dsdftw.html

I bought the circuit (saved some time instead of making one from scratch lol) for my own button box from him, very happy with it.

My suggestion would be to not only change the track/car per time trial, but the sim too. So perhaps begin with Race07, then AC, Game Stock Car, pCARS, RRRE, rFactor2, LFS, GPL or whatever. At least that way, everyone will get a chance to lap in their preferred sim. Or is that too much of a hassle?

I'm okay with this, only one I'm missing is LFS.

That's what I had envisioned, yeah.

I'm okay with this, only one I'm missing is LFS.

OK, if folks are cool with getting your RACE07 setup working properly then that's what we'll do. We can do AC or whatever the next week.

Thanks for the DSD heads up. I want one, but don't want to pay for it, so this is perfect :p

Juicy, you want to take the reins on this? Just pick a combo that you'd like to do. We'll follow suit.

Seanspeed

Banned
First two races getting back into iRacing have been awful! lol

First race, I was supposed to start 3rd, but then during the 5 min warmup, I got kicked from the session for some weird reason. Said I cut a corner(I did no such thing) and that I had to slow down and give back any advantage I got. I slowed down, even to a stop, but it did nothing - then I seemed to have gotten a black flag symbol? Anyways, it dropped me from the session(guessing it was a network problem), so I exit and by the time I get back it makes me start from the pitlane. So by half a lap I was already up on the backmarkers, who seemed to be absolutely insistent that I not get by even though I was seconds faster than they were, crashing me out twice in pretty short succession.

Second race, I started from 2nd place, and the pole guy didn't get a great start so I was into the lead right away. Halfway through the first lap, the pole guy ends up spinning me out out of impatience, then I rejoin in like 6th, get through a couple corners and there's a melee ahead where I crash into a car parked in the middle of the track. iRacing considers that my fault, of course, but I was mostly able to continue on without needing to pit thankfully(still damaged, though).

Urgh. I don't mind dealing with this shit so much usually except that this all hurts my driver and safety rating(which I cant help but care about) and I then have to wait another hour before I can get another go!

Sorry for the whine(I know I whine!), just had to get that off my chest. Feels good to feel some pressure again, though. Absolutely nothing like that racing against yourself or AI.

bee

First two races getting back into iRacing have been awful! lol

First race, I was supposed to start 3rd, but then during the 5 min warmup, I got kicked from the session for some weird reason. Said I cut a corner(I did no such thing) and that I had to slow down and give back any advantage I got. I slowed down, even to a stop, but it did nothing - then I seemed to have gotten a black flag symbol? Anyways, it dropped me from the session(guessing it was a network problem), so I exit and by the time I get back it makes me start from the pitlane. So by half a lap I was already up on the backmarkers, who seemed to be absolutely insistent that I not get by even though I was seconds faster than they were, crashing me out twice in pretty short succession.

Second race, I started from 2nd place, and the pole guy didn't get a great start so I was into the lead right away. Halfway through the first lap, the pole guy ends up spinning me out out of impatience, then I rejoin in like 6th, get through a couple corners and there's a melee ahead where I crash into a car parked in the middle of the track. iRacing considers that my fault, of course, but I was mostly able to continue on without needing to pit thankfully(still damaged, though).

Urgh. I don't mind dealing with this shit so much usually except that this all hurts my driver and safety rating(which I cant help but care about) and I then have to wait another hour before I can get another go!

Sorry for the whine(I know I whine!), just had to get that off my chest. Feels good to feel some pressure again, though. Absolutely nothing like that racing against yourself or AI.

very annoying when it happens but 20mins of time trials can help get ratings back, you can pretty much get to A licence with just a few races and all time trials

Seanspeed

Banned
very annoying when it happens but 20mins of time trials can help get ratings back, you can pretty much get to A licence with just a few races and all time trials
I want to race, not time trial.

So THIRD race, same fucking thing. Start 2nd, get away ok, still 2nd, but AGAIN, get fucking spun out by some motherfucker on the 1st lap. Rejoin in like 9th. Car is damaged, but not so much that it'd be worth pitting for. Great. So couple laps later a guy goes off in front of me and then comes on right in the middle of a corner. Smash into them, iRacing blames me and then I have to pit. Quit.

I don't know if I can do this. Its really getting to me. Usually I can rattle off a few swear words and then shrug it off but I cant just rejoin some other race right afterwards. And each docking of safety points is *painful* feeling. I spent a significant part of today getting back into the iRacing groove and its been nothing but shit. I haven't had fun and I'm now sitting here angry after this whole thing. I feel like I wasted my free day.

EDIT: I'll do some time trials tomorrow I guess. I had been *so* good about having absolutely minimal incident points in my first stint with iRacing and I now I cant get through a damn race without having a whole bunch every race. Fuck people who don't know how to god damn race cleanly. I want to do iRacing to get AWAY from people like that! lol

EDIT2: Time to drink a beer. Haven't felt this worked up over a video game in a while.

EDIT3: In my first little stint with the game, the most incident points I had in a race was 6 and I had that only *once*. The three races I've had back I haven't had *less* than 6 incident points in a race. Absolutely ridiculous. Oh, and not a single apology from anybody!

I'm done bitching now, sorry.

I want to race, not time trial.

So THIRD race, same fucking thing. Start 2nd, get away ok, still 2nd, but AGAIN, get fucking spun out by some motherfucker on the 1st lap. Rejoin in like 9th. Car is damaged, but not so much that it'd be worth pitting for. Great. So couple laps later a guy goes off in front of me and then comes on right in the middle of a corner. Smash into them, iRacing blames me and then I have to pit. Quit.

I don't know if I can do this. Its really getting to me. Usually I can rattle off a few swear words and then shrug it off but I cant just rejoin some other race right afterwards. And each docking of safety points is *painful* feeling. I spent a significant part of today getting back into the iRacing groove and its been nothing but shit. I haven't had fun and I'm now sitting here angry after this whole thing. I feel like I wasted my free day.

EDIT: I'll do some time trials tomorrow I guess. I had been *so* good about having absolutely minimal incident points in my first stint with iRacing and I now I cant get through a damn race without having a whole bunch every race. Fuck people who don't know how to god damn race cleanly. I want to do iRacing to get AWAY from people like that! lol

EDIT2: Time to drink a beer. Haven't felt this worked up over a video game in a while.

EDIT3: In my first little stint with the game, the most incident points I had in a race was 6 and I had that only *once*. The three races I've had back I haven't had *less* than 6 incident points in a race. Absolutely ridiculous.
Sorry to hear that, but you've just got to keep plugging away. Chances are your first time with the sim was cleaner than the norm, a lucky streak. Now you're getting an unlucky streak. It'll average out eventually. Your iRating will naturally increase over time and you'll be up against more and more reliable/consistent drivers. You will also become better at anticipating wrecks. If someone comes from behind and wipes you out, there's not a lot you can do, but incidents like the one you describe of a car coming back in front of your path after going off/a spin is the kind of thing that is possible to anticipate and avoid (I'm not suggesting that particular one was avoidable, having not seen it, I'm just speaking in general terms). Also, don't quit early unless you're so damaged that the tow and repair leaves you many laps down. Keep going and if there's more than half the race to go you'll likely regain a few places as others quit early - damage limitation for your iRating. Also the more laps you complete cleanly, the smaller the hit on your safety rating too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sorry to hear that, but you've just got to keep plugging away. Chances are your first time with the sim was cleaner than the norm, a lucky streak. Now you're getting an unlucky streak. It'll average out eventually. Your iRating will naturally increase over time and you'll be up against more and more reliable/consistent drivers. You will also become better at anticipating wrecks. If someone comes from behind and wipes you out, there's not a lot you can do, but incidents like the one you describe of a car coming back in front of your path after going off/a spin is the kind of thing that is possible to anticipate and avoid (I'm not suggesting that particular one was avoidable, having not seen it, I'm just speaking in general terms). Also, don't quit early unless you're so damaged that the tow and repair leaves you many laps down. Keep going and if there's more than half the race to go you'll likely regain a few places as others quit early - damage limitation for your iRating. Also the more laps you complete cleanly, the smaller the hit on your safety rating too.
Yea, I know its just a bad streak, its just a really painful time to have it when I'm all renewed and ready to get back into things.

As for avoiding wrecks, yea, its sometimes possible, but sometimes not. I'm usually pretty good at avoiding stuff, but when there's mayhem and you're already heading into it, sometimes all you can do is cross your fingers.

I don't mind continuing if there's a chance of doing something still. Like my 2nd race, I still finished 4th. But if I'm more than a lap or two down, I really have very little will to continue. I'll be on my own the entire time and the only reason to do it is because of my concern about my ratings, not because its great fun. Not as much of an issue with long races, but for a 10-15 lap race, its just a total buzzkill.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
anyone else not able to get the black friday promotional code to kick in properly on your iracing renewal order page? still reverts back to $99 for me.

markao

anyone else not able to get the black friday promotional code to kick in properly on your iracing renewal order page? still reverts back to $99 for me.
You have an active (with time left) IR account --> if not you might need some other cheap code ( 3 months for 5$ ) first, then add the BF code.

Juicy Bob

OK, here's the deal.

I've just bought myself a new laptop on Cyber Monday that is a little bit better than my old one, but nothing amazing. I'm busy trying to get everything working on it properly (rFactor2 still runs like shit on it...) but when I'm up to speed, I'll sort out some time trials.

In the meantime, does anyone know how one would go about building a track for a game like GSC:E from scratch? I've always wanted to design and build myself my own little test track and don't really know how I'd go about it...

OK, here's the deal.

I've just bought myself a new laptop on Cyber Monday that is a little bit better than my old one, but nothing amazing. I'm busy trying to get everything working on it properly (rFactor2 still runs like shit on it...) but when I'm up to speed, I'll sort out some time trials.

In the meantime, does anyone know how one would go about building a track for a game like GSC:E from scratch? I've always wanted to design and build myself my own little test track and don't really know how I'd go about it...

GSC:E is just a gussied up rFactor, and I know there are plenty of rF track building tutorials out there. GSC doesn't have it's own editor, so you'll have it covert it over at the end using the converter tool.

DD

ipw5MECHho6qY.jpg

Shaneus

I have no problem with this.

I can only imagine that with Rubinho's Brazilian Stock Car win, that might push sales a little. Do we know if it'll be some weird early-access title or just the whole thing all in one go? And how would mods work?

Top Bottom