• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

UnrealEck

That footage is a complete generation gap over what we got. The level of detail is insane compared to what we actually got.

Considering the PS3 versions runs at an average 23-25 FPS, there's no fucking way that was running on the PS3 hardware at that framerate.

Right. I've still to see this proof you have to reach such a firm conclusion that there's some nefarious and devious situation going on here.

The point is that it was. People played it at TGS running perfectly on a PS3.

Tell him that, not me.

pa22word

And still no words at all from From or Namco.

They promoted this new engine, and still the game has serious framerate problem.

That's because the engine was designed with next gen in mind and backported to 7th gen. That's why the PC was the lead platform.

Right. I've still to see this proof you have to reach such a firm conclusion.

What part of, "you can't decrease level of detail that drastically and have the game actually run worse" is hard for you to get?

Go into any pc game and turn up AA to 8X. Now turn it off. Notice a difference? What you're implying is that from did exactly that and ended up with worse performance. It's a literal impossibility.

Servbot24

Banned
Well you could check this thread for the wealth of photos comparing the two. Or you might realize that a linear, 12 hour third person shooter has much more leeway in the graphics department vs a 60 hour open-world RPG.

But I thought that was self explanatory...

Your claim was that the difference in graphics constituted a full generational leap.

Here's what a generational leap looks like:

153658-King's_Field_IV_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-3.jpg

to

Dark-Souls-Mod-Revamped-Stat-Buff-Icons_1.jpg

I have the 1080p 60fps video of the aching bones trailer, if you think anything besides the 1080p 60 fps difference is next gen. I don't know what to say to you.
Should I screen shot things?

That's because the engine was designed with next gen in mind and backported to 7th gen. That's why the PC was the lead platform.

And this was the real issue. They were thinking of the future when they made this engine and probably had to dial more things back than they planned too.

Giantbomb said many times the game ran better now then it did in the previews. Do people think they removed a lighting engine just too fuck over gamers or something? Jesus people the consoles couldn't handle it. Just cause one game looks better than the other doesn't mean it was possible to make this work. This is From and they have always struggled to get their games running smoothly on current gen hardware.

Perhaps he was referring to the network test which indeed had framerate issues. Looking at the PlayStation Access footage the game seemed to run fine so something is amiss here.

Now this is hyperbole.

Not at all, despite it's horrible art direction Kameo's graphics are certainly far more advanced than DS2.

dan2026

There is nothing in Dark Souls 2 that shouldn't run well on last gen consoles.

Its just a poorly optimised game.

Although it seems to run a lot better on 360, assuming the tearing doesn't bother you.

fade_

As someone who was in the beta. The final products looks MUCH better than what I played. The beta was dark and bland, way less colorful and didn't have any sort of AA whatsoever. It also looked nothing like the E3 footage.

As someone who was in the beta. The final products looks MUCH better than what I played. The beta was dark and bland, way less colorful and didn't have any sort of AA whatsoever. It also looked nothing like the E3 footage.

Different areas. The network test level looks just as bland in the retail game.

This is so fucking weird. I was kind of upset when I couldn't find any record of pre-ordering the PS3 version like I thought I did, but now I'm kinda glad the money didn't leave my pocket as I had thought.

FromSoft needs to explain this.

Well, than they could just use the old engine because Dark Souls is better then it's sequel.

No thanks. Reddit, Darksouls forums, internet in general is actually enjoying the game as is. This is the only place where there is an outrage and it's mostly because of misdirection and what could have been. Maybe they should have done what many companies do and scrapped the current gen Dark Souls 2 and released it only for PC and next gen systems? I don't think people liked that either. It is what it is.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone, I am thinking of starting a petition on change.org, asking for re-implementation of the cut dynamic lighting feature into the Dark Souls 2 console versions by FROM Software, possibly via patch.

I don't know if they'll even acknowledge it, or if re-implementation is even possible (I don't see why not, considering proof of it working as recent as less than two months ago) but something is better than nothing. If you care about this downgrade, please sign it. I will post again once it's ready. I'll be linking to this thread as evidence of the downgrade.

This is the only thing I can think of doing right now. Please keep messaging FROM/Namco-Bandai for statements regarding the downgrade. We shouldn't settle for this.

That got escalated pretty quickly towards an unrealistic postulation. Also about repeatedly trying to send the message and forcefully expecting a reply from either the developer or a publisher, it isn't an ideal way to communicate with a proper explanation. And then its not only about dynamic lighting in certain locations, there are lots of other visual discrepancies between the demonstration versions of the game and the retail version.

But everyone already suspects something on these lines;
.demonstration versions possible had a different development branch which probably had more liberty with resources/time/effort towards commitment, hence the quality in visuals were high
.retail version probably progressed through the main development branch and had priorities towards making an overall better game, compared against making a better game with lesser element/progression to show in the demonstration build
..possibly some where down the line the differentiation between the builds broadened and game elements present in the demonstration versions weren't committed to the final retail version
...also note that retail version probably required (by the developers/publisher) to be packaged for deployment prior, so that could have also attributed towards some difference between intermediate demonstration versions(recently) against retail version

dan2026

People who want the advanced lighting back in are literally mad.

The PS3 version already runs sub 30fps most of the time.

What on earth would it run at with that back in? 10fps?

ZenTzen

All this just seems like it boils down to FROMs ability to optimise a game, theres nothing on the april or january builds that coouldnt be done on ps3 or 360 at a stable 30fps, especially when there are other games open-world or otherwise that do it

Gbraga

Yeah, I don't think there's any chance of it coming back on consoles.

I just want to know what happened, more about the PS3 demos and if the PC version will have the torch use back to the way they originally planned. I don't even expect the game to look like the demo on PC, I just wnat the torch back.

Arkanius

No thanks. Reddit, Darksouls forums, internet in general is actually enjoying the game as is. This is the only place where there is an outrage and it's mostly because of misdirection and what could have been. Maybe they should have done what many companies do and scrapped the current gen Dark Souls 2 and released it only for PC and next gen systems? I don't think people liked that either. It is what it is.

Because we were the only ones to notice it / or make a fuss about it doesn't mean we are wrong.

Garcia

This is so fucking weird. I was kind of upset when I couldn't find any record of pre-ordering the PS3 version like I thought I did, but now I'm kinda glad the money didn't leave my pocket as I had thought.

FromSoft needs to explain this.

They probably won't. . . I think it is more important to get the message out there to the people who were completely oblivious to this, especially when "professional reviewers" mislead their readers by not speaking of the game's most obvious problems, especially those that are directly linked to gameplay.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

While I understand the PS3/X360 version owners crying "bullshit!", for me and I think a fair few others now the real question is the PC version. What happens when that comes out without the lighting engine and is just as shit looking as the PS3 one but with a resolution boost?

Really, what then?

dan2026

All this just seems like it boils down to FROMs ability to optimise a game, theres nothing on april and january builds that coouldnt be done on ps3 at a stable 30fps, especially when there are other games open-world or otherwise that do it

Exactly.

Thats what I think to.

These are the people who let Blight Town and some other areas literally run at a slide show in Dark Souls 1.

What does that tell you?

While I understand the PS3/X360 version owners crying "bullshit!", for me and I think a fair few others now the real question is the PC version. What happens when that comes out without the lighting engine and is just as shit looking as the PS3 one but with a resolution boost?

Really, what then?

Then suck it up or don't buy it.

Vote with your freaking wallet.

epmode

Last-gen consoles are a lost cause. Save the PC port!

Misrepresenting the game in a promotional video not even two months old is super-shit, BTW.

Servbot24

Banned
Graphic and framerate side, not gameplay.I have not DS2 , I cancelled my preorder when I saw this topic.

Very sad that people care more about the graphics than the gameplay. Souls is supposed to be a beacon in the industry for placing gameplay above all. But nope, it's missing a few extra shafts of light, fuck great gameplay!

Arkanius

Really, what then?

We also know it's getting 60 FPS support.
And I bet that's everything we get.

(I REALLY REALLY HOPE NOT)

Very sad that people care more about the graphics than the gameplay. Souls is supposed to be a beacon in the industry for placing gameplay above all. But nope, it's missing a few extra shafts of light, fuck great gameplay!

It's not caring more about the graphics. It's caring about not being lied to. It's also tied very tightly to one gameplay mechanic (torches) that was completely scrapped.

Gbraga

For some of the skeptics out there saying that the early footage was a PC build of DS2.

Then explain the TGS hands on, with the game running on actual PS3 hardware. With all the lighting effects intact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-xM2tzljA

It's not about being skeptic. The reveal footage was running on PC, From said so.

This video though is part of the puzzle, definitely.

Does this exact same area run fine in the retail PS3 version? If so, maybe they could afford it there but not so much in most of the game, so they cut it, if it doesn't, then it makes no sense.

Havel

Wrong.

pa22word

For some of the skeptics out there saying that the early footage was a PC build of DS2.

Then explain the TGS hands on, with the game running on actual PS3 hardware. With all the lighting effects intact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-xM2tzljA

Booth shenanigans are neither uncommon nor unprecedented in this industry. So no, unless I see someone take a disc and put it in a retail PS3, and start the game, then I'm going to call bs on it ever running on 256MBs of VRM on the RSX at a stable 30FPS.

Just wondering: did anyone saw a physical PS3 when they tested the game at whatever event? Button prompts don't count as evidence.

I'm beginning to think that the game was always demoed on a PC, judging from the beta feedback (the game looked bland too, as far as I've read) the version that some of you guys swear that existed on consoles, never did.

Hypron

All this just seems like it boils down to FROMs ability to optimise a game, theres nothing on the april or january builds that coouldnt be done on ps3 or 360 at a stable 30fps, especially when there are other games open-world or otherwise that do it

What other open world games manage to do it? All the ones I can think of also have framerate issues.

Servbot24

Banned
It's not caring more about the graphics. It's caring about not being lied to. It's also tied very tightly to one gameplay mechanic (torches) that was completely scrapped.

Suddenly games are no longer fun unless they have torches?

Anyways I'm playing DkSII right now, it's fantastic. FROM can lie all they bloody want if they keep making games this good.

Gameplay is not really up to par either compared to DS1, but this isn't the thread for that.

Because we were the only ones to notice it / or make a fuss about it doesn't mean we are wrong.

I didn't say you were wrong. In fact I agree that the true console version should have been shown more prior to release to highlight the difference. However I do disagree that they should have kept the same engine because of the consoles. My point is the game isn't exactly ruined because of this.

lol They all lead back to this thread. Of course the press is going to run with it.

Persona7

Banned
Just wondering: did anyone saw a physical PS3 when they tested the game at whatever event? Button prompts don't count as evidence.

I'm beginning to think that the game was always demoed on a PC, judging from the beta feedback (the game looked bland too, as far as I've read) the version that some of you guys swear that existed on consoles, never did.

Is the XMB accessible on units they use to demo games at events?

They probably won't. . .

You are probably right, which is not just disappointing, but also really sad. Dark Souls became a household name because of the it's fans and to not address your fans concerns is really disheartening.

I think it is more important to get the message out there to the people who were completely oblivious to this, especially when "professional reviewers" mislead their readers by not speaking of the game's most obvious problems, especially those that are directly linked to gameplay.

It's the least we can do.

pa22word

What other open world games manage to do it? All the ones I can think of also have framerate issues.

None of them. There's nothing open world on consoles that has lighting as advanced as what was shown in that reveal trailer. The only thing that comes close that I can think of are the Cryengine 3 games and maybe the frostbite games, but I couldn't tell you as I never played those on consoles only saw the off and on screen shots.

Servbot24

Banned
Because that's exactly what he said, right? C'mon dude.

Yes it is. He wanted to play the game. He found out the torches aren't useful. He no longer wanted to play the game.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the previous games didn't give a shit about torches and were still the best games of the gen, but that's his tastes.

Stet

Banned
Suddenly games are no longer fun unless they have torches?

Anyways I'm playing DkSII right now, it's fantastic. FROM can lie all they bloody want if they keep making games this good.

What an odd sentiment. It has been nobody's argument that graphics are more important than gameplay, nor has it been anybody's argument that the game cannot be good without what was advertised.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't know about Brad, but Vinny came around on this week's podcast saying he thought there was definitely something to the criticism (paraphrasing). Either way, disappointing the issue isn't getting more attention.

Patrick and Brad
ES5CUH3.png

lchEExf.jpg

Pretty damn shameful. liking the game is one thing but ignoring a false advertising case and calling people crazy or "happens all the time" like it is nothing because you like the series is just sad.

Gaming journalism is a complete joke nowadays because of this.

Servbot24

Banned
What an odd sentiment. It has been nobody's argument that graphics are more important than gameplay, nor has it been anybody's argument that the game cannot be good without what was advertised.

That post was in response to a person who is no longer buying the game due to graphics.

Patrick and Brad

Pretty damn shameful. liking the game is one thing but ignoring a false advertising case and calling people crazy or "happens all the time" like it is nothing because you like the series is just sad.

Gaming journalism is a complete joke nowadays because of this.

Game Journalists aren't the only ones who think you people are crazy.

There were people in this thread who said that they saw it on ps3. NO smoke and mirrors. Someone even said the game crashed and went to the menu.

Top Bottom