• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

I saw this in 3D and I so regretted it but I didn't know there's a 2D screening this Saturday. If I knew, I'd have waited. Now I have to see it again in 2D so I can fully enjoy the film. Maybe I'll see if there's a 2D Imax. Also, was I the only one who saw the film with a rather strange aspect ratio? It's like the film wasn't widescreen enough. Maybe it was just the projectionist but I felt like watching a TV cropped copy of the film or something. Anyway, here in Sydney, we got Dark Knight Rises trailer (still looks meh and messy to me), Men In Black trailer (looks okay I guess), Prometheus International trailer (gimme this billion-dollar-looking film now!).

Favorite parts of the movie:

* The action. Thank Joss the action delivered. I hated the action in Captain America and while Thor had one or two scenes that were okay, they didn't impress me much. But in here, everything is big-scale and soo much fun. Best of all? You can see practically everything that's going on. None of those shaky-cam or close-up bullshit that other movies tend to employed. If there's one thing Joss knows, that'd be directing action scenes. I should have known because even with Buffy's low-budget nature, the TV series was fun when it comes to the action scenes. CG was pretty good IMO, definitely looks like money well-spent. Especially the ones involving Ironman. Could do a better job with the
portal thingy though. But portal scenes always look stupid in most movies I've seen.

* Captain America. Shame about the mask but once that wretched thing was taken off, Chris Evans looks soo much like Steve Rogers in the comic illustrations that I've seen. His blonde hair and blue eyes look so striking in some of the scenes and his acrobatic scenes were just cool that I wish I was him. He's also my favorite part of the film partly because he plays the part with a hint of sadness/loneliness (dat forever alone look) unlike the other characters. Also, he's the only character that properly conveys how out of league he seems to be in comparison to the other 3 major characters. I mean, sure he's super-human but some of the things that he has to do in this movie is quite taxing and it showed on his character.

* The Hulk, or rather, one particular scene involving him. I don't actually like the Hulk that much as a character but this is probably the best-looking live action version of the character. His face is expressive and his existence is actually fun. I am particularly a fan of the scene where he
slams Loki back and forth like the trash that he is. After all the muscle-twirling, shit-eating grin that he's shown so many times in this film, it felt so satisfying to see Loki got his just dessert

* Oh wait, there's another scene involving Hulk that I like. It's the one where he
Falcon-punched Thor off-screen after they tag-team to defeat the enemies. His expression was like "Bitch, please. Sure we're a team but I haven't forgotten how you punched me hard earlier
. Priceless!!

* The climax involving
Ironman. I mean I somehow doubt that he's going to die but the whole thing was so tense and well in that there was a few seconds of doubt whether or not he'll make it

* Some of the jokes are fun. For example,
Captain America losing a bet against Fury about him is in for more surprise, Agent Coulson's mancrush on Captain America, etc

What I don't understand:

* The post-credit ending. I don't read comics that much and I have absolutely no idea what that scene was about.

* In the same item as the one before this, I don't know if it's the same in the comics but do these people
butt-head against each other this often? I understand that there are a lot of big egos there but wow, was it always this nasty when they traded blows with each other? It made me wonder for a moment if they'll ever work effectively with each other

What I don't like:

* Some of the dialogues, especially those of Loki's are too poetic for my taste. I'm not really into villains who twirl their mustache and talking about how awesome their motivation. I actually prefer the treatment of Loki's character back in "Thor" than what we got here. The good news is, some of the seemingly cheese-tastic dialogues we've heard in the trailer actually sound better in context, or rather, it seems they have been somewhat re-worked so that they sound less cheesy.

* The enemies. Who the hell are they? I didn't get their names and I think I missed why they're doing this invasion thing apart from the fact that they
want the tesseract and Loki promised them if they help him out
. Is that all their motivation?

* The beginning seems a bit abrupt and scattered but I guess it's inevitable since they have to set up the characters and their motivations.

sharbhund

Wanda is a mutant, so we probably wont get her until Marvel gets the mutants back from Fox. And honestly, Wanda would be completely broken in a movie. And you can't have her without Quicksilver.
Kevin Feige recently clarified that the Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and the Skrulls have unusual rights, in that both Fox and Marvel Studios can use those characters in their movies.

They aren't doing another Hulk movie.

In this interview, Feige and Ruffalo say that due to the reaction they're getting from audiences to the Hulk in the Avengers, they're now starting to have discussions about doing another Hulk movie.

Jintor

I maintain that real life human beings simply don't look good in non-iron superhero costumes

Hawkeye and Natascha got away with it by not bothering. Iron man looks sweet as hell and you get the in-camera shots with Rob. Bruce is Bruce. Steve looks like a full-on moron.

Extending this out, Spidey was probably the closest I've seen to looking decent. Bats looks awkard as hell when he's fully visible. Let's not talk about Supes. Green Lantern looked okay, I guess.

Slayven

* In the same item as the one before this, I don't know if it's the same in the comics but do these people
butt-head against each other this often? I understand that there are a lot of big egos there but wow, was it always this nasty when they traded blows with each other? It made me wonder for a moment if they'll ever work effectively with each other
Yes it is a time honored tradition. Usually involving egos or misunderstandings or pre teamup rituals.

Banner Hulk is puny. Merged Hulk, Mr. Fixit, or Green Scar is the only options.
Just give me anything remotely resembling the Hulk tearing stuff up for a large portion of the movie and I'm happy.

In this interview, Feige and Ruffalo say that due to the reaction they're getting from audiences to the Hulk in the Avengers, they're now starting to have discussions about doing another Hulk movie.
0179_7uc3.gif

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Awesome movie! Extremely tempted to watch it again, standout has to be the Hulk. Whedon did an amazing job with intertwining everything; loved the humor. Just went to the top of my list of best superhero movies in the last few years :D

Because the two movies they've done already have bombed, they're working on a Hulk tv series (which, unlike the movies, has proven to work before), and they've got a shit ton of other films on their plate.
Well, they've already stated that their discussing making another Hulk film thanks to audience reactions.

Tobor

Most importantly, the relationship between Marvel and Ruffalo looks good, so we'll get more RuffaHulk in Avengers 2.

They should also resign Whedon immediately.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm guessing the reason Marvel was hesitant about making another Hulk film was because they felt burned by critical reaction to Ang Lee's Hulk and Norton's antics in Incredible Hulk. Good to hear they're reconsidering.

* The action. Thank Joss the action delivered. I hated the action in Captain America and while Thor had one or two scenes that were okay, they didn't impress me much. But in here, everything is big-scale and soo much fun. Best of all? You can see practically everything that's going on. None of those shaky-cam or close-up bullshit that other movies tend to employed. If there's one thing Joss knows, that'd be directing action scenes.

See that right there is why I had faith in Joss knowing that he was making this movie.

In Buffy and Angel they had really good fight scenes.
No shaky cam or close up shots and the action would go on for a while too.

Replicant

Thor help me, I just got another ticket to see it again this Saturday, but in 2D. Wish I can see The Cabin In The Woods too but I'd have to wait until July for that.

I really wish I could buy advance tickets to a 2D screening. Everything around me is 3D, ugh. :/

Hopefully by this time next week I'll be able to secure some seats.

Shaneus

I don't think this is news, but is it still relevant? It's regarding
Coulson's death
:
Director Joss Whedon is known for "killing off beloved characters", but Gregg stated that Whedon confirmed Coulson will survive the events of the film.
From the actor's Wikipedia who played that spoilered character in The Avengers. A 6-month old quote, so we'll have to see what happens I guess.

Vee_One

Just got back from seeing this and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Whedon did a good job and I'm not really a major fan of most of the things he has done previously.

All the characters got a good amount of screen time, Iron Man probably got the most but he is the most popular (IMO). Probably would have enjoyed it more without Black Widow / Hawkeye but that's just me - nothing offensive or overly annoying.

Some good, well done, humorous scenes. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable film.

I hope people don't go comparing this to TDK as I expect they will be totally different films that are both good.

Blader

Well, they've already stated that their discussing making another Hulk film thanks to audience reactions.

Yeah, that's not happening. They might be talking and spitballing ideas, but this is a studio that announces and dates their films years in advance. "We're talking about it" means it's way too far off to even consider it as something actually happening.

Ruffalo in Avengers 2 seems like a sure thing, but Hulk 2 is an extremely slim possibility. The best chance you have of seeing another solo Hulk film is if the tv series never happens.

Yeah, that's not happening. They might be talking and spitballing ideas, but this is a studio that announces and dates their films years in advance. "We're talking about it" means it's way too far off to even consider it as something actually happening.

Ruffalo in Avengers 2 seems like a sure thing, but Hulk 2 is an extremely slim possibility. The best chance you have of seeing another solo Hulk film is if the tv series never happens.

I think it would be dangerous to fastball another Marvel film with one of these characters into production beyond the ones they've already announced. The last thing Marvel wants to do is make people sick of these characters by putting them on screen every other year. I could see that happening.

Marvel should start focusing on Dr. Strange, Luke Cage/Iron Fist and maybe reviving that Ant Man film. I like the idea of a few lower budget Marvel films as well.

Tobor

Any scuttlebutt yet on whether Whedon will get another go? Too early?

Blader

Marvel should start focusing on Dr. Strange, Luke Cage/Iron Fist and maybe reviving that Ant Man film. I like the idea of a few lower budget Marvel films as well.

Yeah, I think Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy are next on tap. Probably not in that order though.

Any scuttlebutt yet on whether Whedon will get another go? Too early?

Whedon and Feige both want him to do the sequel, and he has an option for it.

Yeah, I think Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy are next on tap. Probably not in that order though.

Don't know if I want Rocket Raccoon on the big screen. He could end up being the greatest thing ever or completely kill the comic book movie genre.

Tobor

Whedon and Feige both want him to do the sequel, and he has an option for it.

Excellent.

I can't believe they're trying a Guardians movie. That's crazy.

JGS

Banned
Cloak & Dagger or bust.

I can see Dr. Strange too.

The Ant Man one would have to include Wasp and show him as a wife beater (Or is that Hornet?)

Khezu

From the actor's Wikipedia who played that spoilered character in The Avengers. A 6-month old quote, so we'll have to see what happens I guess.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can speculate based on my knowledge of marvel.

Huge spoilers obviously.

I could see coulson faking his death on the order of fury so he could use it as a way to make the avengers work. Fury is a huge douchebag and putting the entire world in danger just to achieve his goal is something he has done several times in the past. Coulson could have been a life model decoy, or something else silly.

It was good. I don't feel the need to go into comparison wars, but I will say how odd it is to see Whedon direct a true blockbuster action film. It really is 2012. (And, yes, I liked Serenity.)

Noteworthy thing that must be stated: They finally nailed The Hulk. However,
it wasn't explained how he suddenly became part of the team after his earlier mindless rage where he tried to tear apart that airship. But the moment where he thrashes Loki around like a rag-doll was worth any small leap in narrative-logic.

Otherwise, Marvel deserve kudos for getting to this point. It's definitely an achievement. If they stay vigilant about their franchises and keep trusting in talent, this run could last for a long time. And, in a number of ways, this felt like a decent emulation of what a Shane Black superhero movie would be like, so it'll be great to see the real thing with IM3.

The good news is that I have IMAX tickets reserved for the 5th. The bad news is that it's in 3D. Oh well. My next viewing will be in 2D for sure. I intend on seeing this twice in theaters, which will be the first time I have done that since Fight Club.

noah111

Still Alive
I could see coulson faking his death on the order of fury so he could use it as a way to make the avengers work. Fury is a huge douchebag and putting the entire world in danger just to achieve his goal is something he has done several times in the past. Coulson could have been a life model decoy, or something else silly.
YES.
This could definitely be a possibility and at the same time expose Fury's manipulative ass-wholeish tendencies for the first time, in way we've yet to really see on the big screen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alllllright. Bought tickets for a 3D IMAX (Regal IMAX that is
LLShC.gif
) midnight showing at the Sawgrass theater. Anybody gonna be there?

I would've preferred 2D, true IMAX at the museum downtown but they're not doing a midnight showing, nor is the Sawgrass for the regular version. I saw Inception on their IMAX screen in 2D; if nothing else, the theater is awesome for the incredible surround sound setup that none of their other rooms have.

Holy overpriced, but what the fuck ever. Unstoppably pumped.

edit: SWEET JESUS IT'S A WEEK FROM TOMORROW.

edit again: I forgot to mention. I began my recap of all the Marvel Universe movies last night with Thor. Weird order, I know, but it was the one I'd only seen once besides Captain America which I'll be watching last.

And... it was good :O It was much better than I remembered when watching it in the context of a lead-up to the Avengers. Obviously this isn't really a point in the movie's favor, but it works much better as the explanation of one character in an ensemble than a standalone film. I think this is because the story, despite spanning multiple planets and various non-human characters, is extremely small in scope. Thor is reckless, gets cast to Earth,
Loki is traitorous but not wholly evil, Thor gets his hammer back and defeats the Destroyer, foils Loki's ambitions, and becomes a wiser man
. Not an awful lot happens, but as a character introduction it's a solid flick. It's tied way, way more closely into the Avengers than I realized on my first watch:
- Holy shit,
Hawkeye is in this movie. How the hell did I miss this!? It's Jeremy Renner and everything, but uncredited. Nice little scene too- despite the fact that he doesn't actually shoot, you get the impression he is equipped with something that could actually subdue Thor if necessary.
- I remembered liking Coulson in this movie but I couldn't put my finger on why. It's the same scene as above, when Thor's trying to get his hammer back, and he tells his dudes to stand down and let him try to lift it. He just exudes this "I understand exactly what is going on and we have this shit on lock" vibe in almost every moment he's on screen.
- The post-credits scene is basically more compelling than the entirety of the film. Tell me it's taken advantage of to the fullest extent in the Avengers?

Good stuff. I hope to notice more little things in the remaining films.

Vega

I wish Fantastic 4's rights would revert back to Marvel so bad. Not just because of them but it would mean Silver Surfer's rights would return to to Marvel also.

I want to see Thor vs. Surfer IMAX!!!!!

Somewhere there is a browncoat posting how this could mean the return of Firefly.

And when the movie becomes a big success and Whedon does another, they will proclaim him a sell out and how all his work was garbage. And also how he was great before he got popular.

As for early impressions, I am more jazzed for HULK SMASH!: Guest Starring The Avengers.

I wish Fantastic 4's rights would revert back to Marvel so bad. Not just because of them but it would mean Silver Surfer's rights would return to to Marvel also.

I want to see Thor vs. Surfer IMAX!!!!!

That would not be much of a fight.

Slayven

Oh I don't know, I think Thor could hold his own against the Power Cosmic Silver Surfer. For awhile anyway, enough to make it entertaining.

A while? They had a mini that had Surfer and Thor throwing down for 2 issues. Thor dented Surfer's head literally. Then they stepped aside and let Odin and Galactus throw down.

Regarding bigtime spoilers...

I saw someone mention a post-credit scene showing a dead Coulson being turned into The Vision on another board, but this hasn't been talked about anywhere else. Totally fake, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom