• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Atari's new console, "Ataribox"

didnt see a thread soo.........

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/07/the-first-look-at-the-ataribox-ataris-new-console

http://mailchi.mp/fe72ea5be6f5/first-look-ataribox-design?e=a93e75dbcb

734fc959-fa48-4ccf-94ce-feef427ac5531.jpeg
74ec6e13-ed8d-4ce5-8aae-6718e9f5ad94.jpeg

Our objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari.

Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition..
As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.

Quasar

That does look like an alright physical design. Shocked by the lack of wood, but we're getting a wood edition so thats OK.

retroman

Not enough info yet about this device, but it looks pretty cool. Would be great if 2600, 5200, 7800, ST, Lynx, Jaguar and arcade games are going to be released for it. Also, I wonder what the controller will look like. No number pad please :)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Looks nice enough.

Sega really really needs to re-release a digital only Dreamcast with wireless controllers, broadband capability with access to a digital storefront for the entire catalogthacan also use the original accessories wired.

Quasar

I do wonder what the options for 'modern games' are. Just Android or Windows. Its not like SteamOS is viable.

OuterLimits

Ah yes. The Return of the King. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft had a nice run. In a few years E3 threads will be dominated by Ataribox 2 reveal hype.

Surprisingly I kind of like the design.

EoinOL

I saw that but I'm guessing it will be another android system.

It could be, but then why would it be so big?

Based on the USB ports it looks like it's ~30cm wide. That's similar to the original PS4, and the height looks like it's probably comparable to current consoles as well, though it's difficult to tell from those images.

That doesn't tell us anything for sure but does point towards a PC-like machine, rather than an Android box.

Bazry

No idea who the target audience is for this, no doubt its just a publicity stunt to get some media courage. At the least the Coleco Chameleon had the novelty of trying to bring games back on cartridges, if they had gone that route i'm sure they'd get more interest

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I like the look of the hardware, but I'm not sure what kind of third party support we can expect. I wonder what the controller looks like?

Because of that ribbed lines, it looks like the cheapest, unaesthetic piece of plastic (even if it's not) I've seen in a long time.

retroman

Sega really really needs to re-release a digital only Dreamcast with wireless controllers, broadband capability with access to a digital storefront for the entire catalogthacan also use the original accessories wired.
I've been hoping for something like that for AGES.

Takao

Banned
Chesnais' already confirmed this is built on PC hardware, so unless that's a lie, you can probably drop the Android box comments.

My cynical guess is a low-mid range PC that boots into an Atari Store launcher. Included is the Atari Vault compilation and some recent Atari "classics" (ignore Wild Guns, that's Natsume-Atari) that you can already find on Steam. I know they've been fielding interest from indie devs for SDKs, so expect some games slightly optimized for it.

ISee

I wonder if this is going to be a x64 (modern consoles, PC) or a risk architecture (android, ipad). There were some rumours in 2016/2015 about AMD securing another APU (cpu and gpu on one die, just like xbox and PS4) deal with an unkown console manufacturer. Today we know that it wasn't a deal with nintendo. A third x64 based console could be interesting, imo.

sinxtanx

that's just a 3D render

I don't doubt that they can develop their own hardware

so they could do THAT, they could at least build one

Atari said:
"there are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead"

no shit

Four USB ports? all on the rear side? why?
Atari VR. Finally, we can play Dactyl Nightmare at home. Kidding. I may look forward to the inevitable fire sale and pick one up as an oddity for my collection, but probably will never play it unless maybe there is a Raspberry Pl shoved in there.

nubbe

I wonder if this is going to be a x64 (modern consoles, PC) or a risk architecture (android, ipad). There were some rumours in 2016/2015 about AMD securing another APU (cpu and gpu on one die, just like xbox and PS4) deal with an unkown console manufacturer. Today we know that it wasn't a deal with nintendo. A third x64 based console could be interesting, imo.

Nothing interesting about it
The markets won't give two shits about it since Atari has no games to drive sales

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And we all thought the Atari logo in Blade Runner was a relic of the 80s.....

giphy.0.gif

Atari will rise again.

ISee

Nothing interesting about it
The markets won't give two shits about it since Atari has no games to drive sales

Not to you maybe. But if they are able to go for a good performance/price ratio + AAA third party support + one or two good exclusives they could build a good foundation for a new Atari console brand, just like Microsoft did with the original xbox. Nothing that would be able to challenge Sony or Microsoft now, but maybe next gen. Of course it needs to be x64 based for that to happen and that's not very likely.

Top Bottom