• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Atari's new console, "Ataribox"

Not to you maybe. But if they are able to go for a good performance/price ratio + AAA third party support + one or two good exclusives they could build a good foundation for a new Atari console brand, just like Microsoft did with the original xbox. Nothing that would be able to challenge Sony or Microsoft now, but maybe next gen. Of course it needs to be x64 based for that to happen and that's not very likely.

With sd cards as its gamedata input?

CryptiK

Got excited thinking fuck yeah new console. Then saw there was no disc slot or tray, which just tells me its android console No. 142

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Got excited thinking fuck yeah new console. Then saw there was no disc slot or tray, which just tells me its android console No. 142

It would be amazing to actually witness a new company enter the real big boy console race again. Haven't seen that in 15+ years.

I don't think it necessarily needs to have a disc slot to be a player... but I agree that it's unlikely some Android box would ever "hit" like the big three.

GeekyDad

First, immediate red flag for me is that they're talking first (and only) about the system's form factor. I could really give a shit less that the design harks back to the original 2600. And it's my guess, that's what they're gearing everything toward: nostalgia.

Expectations set to very low.

nubbe

Not to you maybe. But if they are able to go for a good performance/price ratio + AAA third party support + one or two good exclusives they could build a good foundation for a new Atari console brand, just like Microsoft did with the original xbox. Nothing that would be able to challenge Sony or Microsoft now, but maybe next gen. Of course it needs to be x64 based for that to happen and that's not very likely.

Atari is a company that just recently exited chapter 11, has a few millions in revenue and a dozen of people employed.
Atari don't have the financial muscle to do anything

The only thing this looks like is a scam to get money from investors.

So... The Phantom?

TCkSA9j.gif

ISee

Atari is a company that just recently exited chapter 11, has a few millions in revenue and a dozen of people employed.
Atari don't have the financial muscle to do anything

The only thing this looks like is a scam to get money from investors.

What exavtlly are you trying to convince me of? I stated that I would be interested in another x64 based console on the market with AAA support and that the Microsoft strategy of establishing a console brand before attacking the leading pack could work out. But I also said that the Atari box will most probably just be another android box that is designed to do nothing of value. And now you try to convince me that it will be a useless scheme.
Thx for your wisdom, but...?

big_z

And we all thought the Atari logo in Blade Runner was a relic of the 80s.....

giphy.0.gif

Atari will rise again.

nah it will stay a relic. if any games company is to stand the test of time it will be Nintendo but their logo doesn't look as cool in sci-fi movies.

it's surprising Atari is even around anymore, they have very little in terms of worth while ip and a lot of their stuff was licensed.

CryptiK

It would be amazing to actually witness a new company enter the real big boy console race again. Haven't seen that in 15+ years.

I don't think it necessarily needs to have a disc slot to be a player... but I agree that it's unlikely some Android box would ever "hit" like the big three.
And Android box never will. There are no games simply worth playing on a TV screen. Thats why they are constantly failing. Atari if they have enough money should be making offshoots or new IPs for this thing. But they wont its just going to be a lonely dust box in a store forever and suffer the same fate as all other android "consoles"

PSFan

Atari games have not aged well.

Then don't play them? There's a lot of true classics in the 2600 library, and yes, they look very primitive graphically by today's standards. I still like playing them to this day, especially Adventure.

You probably weren't even born yet when the 2600 came out.

IrishNinja

Atari games have not aged well.

says you

I'm sold.

yeah, every system not offered in woodgrain is a missed opportunity

You forgot to include an image of the good color, OP:

That orange is some gaudy ass shit.

see how baller that looks?

Looks nice enough.

Sega really really needs to re-release a digital only Dreamcast with wireless controllers, broadband capability with access to a digital storefront for the entire catalogthacan also use the original accessories wired.

i used to want this as a steambox, now i'd just take an android based shell of a system with a sega forever subscription at this point

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
nah it will stay a relic. if any games company is to stand the test of time it will be Nintendo but their logo doesn't look as cool in sci-fi movies.

it's surprising Atari is even around anymore, they have very little in terms of worth while ip and a lot of their stuff was licensed.

That's the joke.

Nessus

Love the design, but I just don't see how this can be successful beyond simply appealing to nostalgia.

If it comes with Combat and Yar's Revenge, and maybe some of the handful of good Jaguar games, and is reasonably priced and they don't pull a Nintendo and actually make more than 3 of them, I might get one, though half the reason I want one is that design.

daevv

Should of been called the Atari 2018 or what year it actually comes out. That way it stays true to the numbers after the name (2600, 7800) and when a newer upgraded edition is released just stick the year on it. The Atari 2020 has a better ring to it then the Ataribox 2.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I am interested! The market needs more competition and I'm all for Atari getting back into the game. Please don't be an Android Port machine though.

singhr1

It'll probably be a Steam Box, no?

I can't imagine anyone jumping on Android in 2018 to compete with NVIDIA in what is already a small market but without NVIDIA's PC/streaming tech.

EctoPrime

If the machine is a Windows based laptop hardware with 8GB of ram and the Nvidia MX 150 it could handle current gen games, not amazingly well but they could run. Probably not though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Atari ISN'T around anymore. It's just Infogrames wearing Atari's skin.

singhr1

That's what I was thinking. Would be too expensive though. But hey a year or two from now and the Arm version of windows will be out running on snapdragons.

Ugh yeah, I just don't know who the target audience for this thing is if it's not out here trying to be just a retro-console by having a relatively expensive hardware design and loftier goals than emulating old Atari games.

Quasar

Ugh yeah, I just don't know who the target audience for this thing is if it's not out here trying to be just a retro-console by having a relatively expensive hardware design and loftier goals than emulating old Atari games.

With Ethernet and multiple USB it is hard to imagine anything other than steam. That's more io than even the ShieldTV has.

big_z

It'll probably be a Steam Box, no?

I can't imagine anyone jumping on Android in 2018 to compete with NVIDIA in what is already a small market but without NVIDIA's PC/streaming tech.

i think they mean modern as in this is their nes mini but you can connect it to the internet to purchase additional software. also wireless controllers. there's no intake or exhaust in the design so I wouldn't expect anything with much power.

Atari ISN'T around anymore. It's just Infogrames wearing Atari's skin.

so like dressing a corpse up as a zombie.

faint.

I was just thinking about when they'd reveal this system in the shower this morning. I'm not sure how I feel.

Celine

The original Atari isn't around anymore (it died in the '80s).
The brand name still has value that is why the company which bought the rights renamed the company with that brand name.

120v

i have to admit that is a very sexy design. modern yet subtle with its 70s/early 80s sensibility. one of the big 3 should hire whoever's responsible for that

as for a "modern take" on "atari"... um i'm good, thanks

Top Bottom