• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Why would Retro need to collaborate with SK on ED2? They are 2 separate developers capable of working on 2 separate games (with supervision from Kensuke Tennabe of SPD 3, of course.) I doubt Nintendo is going to tie up 2 developers, including one of their most talented, working on what will be a niche game.

SK is a lot smaller than it used to be. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to partner them up with Retro, but they are going to need assistance on whatever their next big title will be.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
More than likely.
It's been two years since we first saw DKCR.

But only a year and a half since it came out.

It was technically five years after we first saw Metroid Prime 3 that we saw DKCR.

Personally, I'm not expecting to see Retro's new project until E3 2013.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hope its not Metroid.

eRZ1i.png

"Metroid's going away for a long, long time."

I feel like I am the only one on this board to respect Retro enough to feel that they have enough talented people that is worth giving them a chance at an original IP of their own creation?

Retro working on an IP created by Silicon Knights?

you guys do not deserve a Retro Studios SMH

I feel like I am the only one on this board to respect Retro enough to feel that they have enough talented people that is worth giving them a chance at an original IP of their own creation?

It's nice to want things, but we all know that it's Metroid Prime 4.

GameIndustry.biz is dubious these days?

That wasn't the source. Check your facts next time.

MisterHero

I still don't know what the hell Ravenblade is but it looked interesting

As long as it's an action-adventure game it will be awesome

I would take a Metroid Prime 4 on WiiU. Nintendo needs those first party games, or else that console is dead on arrival. There's no way third-party publishers are going to give a damn about it when both the PS4 and the next xbox are going to be on the market.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I know about that quote, and it is a different quote. That doesn't say "everyone wants us". That says "our most requested". Unless you're agreeing with me? The line was in quotation marks, it's absolutely unambiguous.

Oh my bad, I thought the topic you linked to was something else. Yeah I guess that's what he's talking about.

Personally, I hope to see a new scifi IP from Retro studios.

That would be my wish as well. Retro Studios has earned their right to be one of the premiere studios within Nintendo. In Fact, they're probably the best studio to show off what we can expect from WiiU in terms of tech, texture quality and gameplay interactions.

Replaying Prime Trilogy, the thing that allways gets me is how Retro manages to combine makro and microdetail in not just architecture, but texturework as well. They are insanely talented and I would love to see this talent culminate in a new IP, that is their creation.

If that doesn't happen, I hope it's Metroid Prime 4. Or, Metroid 5. Enough with that prequel, side story garbage, let's get on with the narrative, as after Fusion the series could have actual potential for story telling and character development unlike that shoehorned baby baby baby baby crap.

That would be my wish as well. Retro Studios has earned their right to be one of the premiere studios within Nintendo. In Fact, they're probably the best studio to show off what we can expect from WiiU in terms of tech, texture quality and gameplay interactions.

The thing is, even the premier studios within Nintendo generally work with established IPs. EAD Tokyo is the elite of the elite and they've never done an original IP as far as I know; right now they're The House of Mario. Iwata basically gives Sakurai whatever he wants and even when handing out a blank check for what would eventually become Kid Icarus Uprising, Sakurai said that he was told to use an existing Nintendo IP of his choice.

The library of titles at Nintendo's disposal is so massive that they have no reason to bet anything on new ventures. The only one who seems to have that freedom is Miyamoto himself.

Instro

The thing is, even the premier studios within Nintendo generally work with established IPs. EAD Tokyo is the elite of the elite and they've never done an original IP as far as I know; right now they're The House of Mario. Iwata basically gives Sakurai whatever he wants and even when handing out a blank check for what would eventually become Kid Icarus Uprising, Sakurai said that he was told to use an existing Nintendo IP of his choice.

The library of titles at Nintendo's disposal is so massive that they have no reason to bet anything on new ventures. The only one who seems to have that freedom is Miyamoto himself.

It seems like Monolith is pretty autonomous as well.

It seems like Monolith is pretty autonomous as well.

Well Monolith is kind of a special case, they're like a brand in and of themselves. Their games don't actually sell well but they are quality so I think their continued support is more of a prestige or niche filling thing. Also they're a relatively new acquisition so I assume that Nintendo doesn't want to upend too much over there for fear of losing key staff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I will be very disappointed if they're working on Zelda.

Is it a known thing that they're working on two titles at once? I'd love it, but I just find it hard to believe.

The popular theory/wishful thinking is that they're doing a 3DS game and a WiiU game. We don't know it for sure but they're big enough and have some experience from Mario Kart 7. I think that if they are doing a 3DS game, it's DKCR2.

Tovarisch

These thoughts (about the two projects) because of Mario Kart 7.
Some insider has hinted at a summer release of Mario...
Plus one more thing that I can't speak(((

giggas

Very cool, would be nuts if they were working on Mario.

Also, what exactly did they do for Kart 7? I remember hearing conflicting things. Some people were saying they only handled the DKCR assets and others said they did a lot of the track designs. Was anything ever officially figured out as far as that goes as well? Just curious.

I would absolutely love to see a new Starfox from Retro. Amazing HD visuals, a stirring soundtrack, at least twice as many levels as Starfox 64, intense (but fair) difficulty, and online leaderboards. Ooooh, yes.

I'd be happy with a Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel on the Wii U, too.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I wouldnt mind a new Metroid as long as it strays a bit from the Prime mold (for the sake of novelty) A retro world in HD will be glorious.

I also wouldnt mind a new IP, as long as it is in the action adventure genre.

As much as I liked DKCR, I think retro can work on something more sophisticated.

Shion

Iwata basically gives Sakurai whatever he wants and even when handing out a blank check for what would eventually become Kid Icarus Uprising

They should follow the same approach with EAD Tokyo too, especially since Koizumi is there. Give them a blank check and let them go nuts with whatever they want.

thefro

Needs to be a new IP... Metroid and Star Fox aren't going to sell billions of copies, nor appeal to the dudebros.

I suppose you could do a Metroid spin-off or a Star Fox game where they weren't animals and it'd work.

This game needs to be like Halo on XBox, Gears on 360, or Uncharted on PS3. The reason for a core gamer to buy a Wii U even if they aren't a big Mario/Zelda fan.

Needs to be a new IP... Metroid and Star Fox aren't going to sell billions of copies, nor appeal to the dudebros.

I suppose you could do a Metroid spin-off or a Star Fox game where they weren't animals and it'd work.

This game needs to be like Halo on XBox, Gears on 360, or Uncharted on PS3. The reason for a core gamer to buy a Wii U even if they aren't a big Mario/Zelda fan.

I have a feeling it's going to be a focused Ravenblade with an older Nintendo property attached. Maybe old enough that they have pretty much free reign.

I just don't really know of a game series that would be fitting for a Nintendo WRPG.

If that doesn't happen, I hope it's Metroid Prime 4. Or, Metroid 5. Enough with that prequel, side story garbage, let's get on with the narrative, as after Fusion the series could have actual potential for story telling and character development unlike that shoehorned baby baby baby baby crap.

The thing there, is that even after dropping the turd that was Other M, Sakamoto likely still has the juice to veto or sabotage any efforts for Retro to officially take over Metroid.

A 2d Mario game would be neat. Perhaps Retro could make Mario cool again, give him back some grit and personality. NSMBWii and DS were fine games, but they really stripped down much of the character of the Mario world. There's all ages and approachable material, and there is bland and boring. Mario has fallen far into the latter.

Like Mickey Mouse, the mainline 2d Mario games have scrubbed up and down and sanitized to their modern, bland state. It would be fun to see something like the wild and inventive settings and stages of Mario 3 placed back into 2d Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom