• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

Tizoc

I'd kind of like GT featured more...

2011_3_18_23_52_46.jpg

Hah, what FG is that from? I've been thinking of having Hornet in a 2D fighter for some time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Also, I wasn't trying to incite some pissing match, just making the claim that Sony has some core franchises that can stand on similar ground to the likes of Zelda w/r/t appeal and popularity.

Besides Gran Turismo, they have no franchises that are anywhere near Zelda in terms of popularity. And I'm saying this as a Sony fan that doesn't even like Zelda.

Hah, what FG is that from? I've been thinking of having Hornet in a 2D fighter for some time.

Fighters Megamix

So, at one time Zelda was 8 million units popular, and now it is 3.42 million units popular. Again, times change.

Crash Bandicoot at one time sold like 7 million units, but alas those days are long gone. The strength of a brand is only as good as its most current entry, not to say Zelda can't recover to what it once was.

Also, I wasn't trying to incite some pissing match, just making the claim that Sony has some core franchises that can stand on similar ground to the likes of Zelda w/r/t appeal and popularity.
Twice. Twilight Princess is around 8m total too.

And no, Sony doesn't have anything currently that stands up to Zelda when Link was included in SSB. Even GT's fallen off.

Besides Gran Turismo, they have no franchises that are anywhere near in terms of popularity. And I'm saying this as a Sony fan that doesn't even like Zelda.

Again, I'm not sure what you're basing this on given that sales data for the most current games seemingly proves otherwise.

Uncharted 2 sold close to 5 million units, and Uncharted 3 is probably close to selling a similar amount in a shorter time frame. Skyward Sword has shipped something like 3.42 million world wide to date, which is less than Uncharted 3's 3.8 million day one shipment figures.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I'd go with PlayStation Crossover Chaos

Just so it could be spelled like this
bhOBs.jpg

Again, I'm not sure what you're basing this on given that sales data for the most current games seemingly proves otherwise.

Uncharted 2 sold close to 5 million units, and Uncharted 3 is probably close to selling a similar amount in a shorter time frame. Skyward Sword has shipped something like 3.42 million world wide to date, which is less than Uncharted 3's 3.8 million day one shipment figures.
Skyward Sword was 3.42m in 2011, not to date. SS was also a Motion Plus only game.

How did Golden Abyss sell compared to Ocarina of Time 3D?

Mr Swine

Banned
Won't it cost a pretty penny to have many third party characters? Think they are going to have Leon, Chris or Megaman from Capcom or Sonic from Sega?

Combichristoffersen

Gran Turismo is their best selling IP, and by December last year GT5 had sold about 7.4 million copies according to Wikipedia. Going by Wikipedia again, Skyward Sword sold 3.42 million copies within one month of its release (December last year), and Nintendo games have long legs, so it should handily outsell UC2 and 3 within this year. By March last year Twilight Princess had sold 5.82 million copies on the Wii, and about 1.32 on GCN. I can't find any more recent sales numbers, but I'd be very surprised if TP hadn't outsold GT5 by now.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Even comparing games is stupid though. I'm sorry, but more people recognize Link than Nathan Drake. I have zero evidence to back this up...but come on

I seriously don't give a crap about half the guys in Smash Bros. But they make excellent characters.

Well, my point is that ugly, generic, boring designs like the Chimera aliens do neither: they're not recognizable and they don't make good characters on their own.

I'm totally fine with using characters whose abilities make them fit well (Cole) or cool but obscure characters (Jennifer Tate, Sir Daniel Fortesque -- to pick just Cambridge characters for the moment) if they otherwise gel with the concept.

Pranay

Gran Turismo is their best selling IP, and by December last year GT5 had sold about 7.4 million copies according to Wikipedia. Going by Wikipedia again, Skyward Sword sold 3.42 million copies within one month of its release (December last year), and Nintendo games have long legs, so it should handily outsell UC2 and 3 within this year. By March last year Twilight Princess had sold 5.82 million copies on the Wii, and about 1.32 on GCN. I can't find any more recent sales numbers, but I'd be very surprised if TP hadn't outsold GT5 by now.

UC 3 does seems to have long legs as well, just saying =).

It is selling well in europe and did top a few charts even after months of releasing.

Combichristoffersen

UC 3 does seems to have long legs as well, just saying =).

It is selling well in europe and did top a few charts even after months of releasing.

Sure, but I honestly don't think UC3 will top Skyward Sword in sales when all is said and done. UC is a 5 year old franchise with a fanbase consisting mainly of PS3 owners, while Zelda is a 26 year old franchise that has spanned every Nintendo home console and handheld to date (plus those shitty CD-i games), with a fanbase that is most likely a fair bit larger than the UC fanbase due to the legacy of the Zelda franchise.

Acrylic7

Well, my point is that ugly, generic, boring designs like the Chimera aliens do neither: they're not recognizable and they don't make good characters on their own.

I'm totally fine with using characters whose abilities make them fit well (Cole) or cool but obscure characters (Jennifer Tate, Sir Daniel Fortesque -- to pick just Cambridge characters for the moment) if they otherwise gel with the concept.

chimera aliens are considered ugly, genric (everything is these day), boring,bad designs? News to me.
Also they are recognizable, if you have a ps3 (what this game if for) then odds are you know what a Chimera is.

and why don't they make good characters? I can think of plenty of moves and levels and whatnot for them in this game.
I don't see how variety is a bad thing in this situation.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I actually like the name. The "allstars" bit could be dropped, but still. It's a step closer to the Playstation Battle Opera we all want.

Anyone have the potential character list from one of the older threads? I'm wondering if Sony is able to create some variety in terms of the fighters.
Hell, let them add the two main characters from TLOU as well.

Sponge

Banned
Woah! I come back to find my post in the Title fight thread was taken out and made it's very own thread. Cannot say I was expecting that, but I am hoping we hear more about this game soon.

Mario007

Sure, but I honestly don't think UC3 will top Skyward Sword in sales when all is said and done. UC is a 5 year old franchise with a fanbase consisting mainly of PS3 owners, while Zelda is a 26 year old franchise that has spanned every Nintendo home console and handheld to date (plus those shitty CD-i games), with a fanbase that is most likely a fair bit larger than the UC fanbase due to the legacy of the Zelda franchise.

I'm sorry man but you're basing this simply on your feeling alone and you're not looking at the facts. SS did good numbers only in America. It dropped off very quickly in Japan and quick enough in Europe. Now compare this to U3 which is still selling incredibly well in Europe (in fact it topped the chart in Germany quite recently). U3 seems to be having much better legs than SS. U3 shipped 3.8 million copies on day one, launching between B3 and MW3 and still stood its ground. SS has not been able to do so, while launching close to Black Friday.

And this is down to the way Sony handled U3. For the first time ever, they actually made a campaign for their game, got people talking about it and now is applying smart price cuts here and there to keep it in the charts while still making a hefty profit on it. If Sony learns to do the same for other games that they have, then they can finally nurture great franchises.

Acrylic7

Yes? Fang aliens with four eyes. There is literally nothing distinctive or notable about them whatsoever.

then 99% of all the characters ever created are bland.
Zelda is a elf that wears green
Master Chief is a guy in Armour.
Kratos is a mad warrior.
Commander Shepard is Space Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
Okami is a wolf with paint

So it going to be a four player Smash clone or will they try something new I dont think i will care for two player only this type you need four, but then it just be a smash bros clone

Let's face it. The time of strong company brands like we had in the 90s is gone. Pretty much the only ones who do something meta with their library are Nintendo, Namco, Capcom and Squeenix. I consider these to have the most strong character libraries out there, however most of them are legacy.

Sony did a good job this and last gen of building a strong character library compared to the other big companies (yes even Nintendo). I don't need to repeat them because they are well known by most enthusiasts.

Something like this could work out for Sony and be a nice culmination of their character library, if handled properly. Maybe if they put SSM on it or something. Of course they pale next to the big three mentioned above in status, but that's not the point. People need to stop comparing BS sales data, this is more about brand building and fan service. Whether you like it or not, the Sony brand is still strong in people's minds.

People are invested in these characters and buy stuff that features them in it. Let's be happy that Sony actually has something to work with here.

Not dissing on Microsoft or anything, but I'm guessing we'll be seeing these kinds of ventures less often in the future. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Personally I can't wait. I think I remember Radec being touted on the initial character roster, that'd be pretty cool.

If the gameplay is up to scratch I think Playstation fans will enjoy it, especially those who grew up in the PS1 era.

EDIT: ^^^Well said

Jamie OD

If Sony puts in even half the care and effort into this that Nintendo did for the Smash Bros series then this will be a great game.

99% of characters ARE bland, yes. The generic aliens of the PS3's least successful first-party character shooter franchise certainly do not clear the bar.

I don't know man. That Olly Moss cover for R3 was pretty defined. If you left out the title I'm sure most gamers would know it was Resistance.

I can agree that you could call the Helghast generic, but that worked in the setting that was proposed.

Even Nintendo has generic characters and are NOT shy of palatte swapping.

Sony has goofy enough characters. Parappa, Vib Ribbon, you name it. The library stretches further than 2006.

Acrylic7

99% of characters ARE bland, yes. The generic aliens of the PS3's least successful first-party character shooter franchise certainly do not clear the bar.

I hope they put the Chimera in the game. Along with the Hellghast. This Game is all about their franchise characters and non popular characters punching one another.
Fan service.
FOM is one of the best fps's I'v played period. Still one of my and many others favorites to date.
A Alien with a crazy wardrobe of weapons only rivaled by Ratchets isn't going to hurt a thing.
FOM helped define the ps3 when it Launched. Millions of people know what a Chimera is, and majority of those people think that they are cool.

If Sony puts in even half the care and effort into this that Nintendo did for the Smash Bros series then this will be a great game.

ehh, the first and Melee are great. But Brawl is half-assed. Just like Mkart wii.
gonna need Sony to see them put in their full effort.

Metal B

ehh, the first and Melee are great. But Brawl is half-assed. Just like Mkart wii. gonna need Sony to see them put in their full effort.

No, Smash 64 was half-assed. You can question the direction Nintendo was going with Brawl's playstyle (much slower then Melee) and the horrible online-mode, but besides that its a really big love letter to all of there franchises with one-player-modes (Story-Mode, Arcade-Mode, All-Star-Mode, Events, Home-Run-Contest, Break the Target) that puts most of other fighting games to shame (especially Capcom), a lot of content to collect (Trophies, Demos, Music, Stickers, Achievement) and still one of the best local multiplayer-games, thanks to all the different options.

The one think, Sony has to look out for, is to create an artstyle, which connects all the diffrent characters. Nintendo was aware of this, which is why simple characters like Mario, Yoshi and Donkey Kong became much more details, so that they could better co-exist besides Samus, Link and Marth. In Jump Superstar they reversed it, by giving all characters a simple pixel-sytle look. But if you just throw them together, many characters will look out of place (like Sonic All-Star Racing or the Hudson/Konami/Bandai Crossover).

Playstation Battle Opera sounds much better.
Sony doesn't have nearly as iconic characters as Nintendo, but then again no one does, so they should just use what they have, and if they can get some third party characters from franchises that are mostly associated with the Playstation brand (e.g Tekken, FF, Metal Gear) they could make this work I think.

I'm sorry man but you're basing this simply on your feeling alone and you're not looking at the facts. SS did good numbers only in America. It dropped off very quickly in Japan and quick enough in Europe. Now compare this to U3 which is still selling incredibly well in Europe (in fact it topped the chart in Germany quite recently). U3 seems to be having much better legs than SS. U3 shipped 3.8 million copies on day one, launching between B3 and MW3 and still stood its ground. SS has not been able to do so, while launching close to Black Friday.

And this is down to the way Sony handled U3. For the first time ever, they actually made a campaign for their game, got people talking about it and now is applying smart price cuts here and there to keep it in the charts while still making a hefty profit on it. If Sony learns to do the same for other games that they have, then they can finally nurture great franchises.

So you think that one single game potentially selling a little less makes a franchise as old as Zelda less popular than Uncharted, really? Link, Mario and co. have been around for 25 years and in dozens of games on every Nintendo console ever made, that alone and their distinct designs make them much more popular and recognizable than Nathan Drake, who has only been on one console and looks like a generic video game hero.
Look at all the Zelda centric fansites, forums and fan art on the net, then do the same for Uncharted and tell me with a straight face that Nathan Drake is more popular than Link.

I hope they put the Chimera in the game. Along with the Hellghast. This Game is all about their franchise characters and non popular characters punching one another.
Fan service.
FOM is one of the best fps's I'v played period. Still one of my and many others favorites to date.
A Alien with a crazy wardrobe of weapons only rivaled by Ratchets isn't going to hurt a thing.
FOM helped define the ps3 when it Launched. Millions of people know what a Chimera is, and majority of those people think that they are cool.

ehh, the first and Melee are great. But Brawl is half-assed. Just like Mkart wii.
gonna need Sony to see them put in their full effort.

I imagine if they did, they wouldn't include designs that were meant to be apart of a swarm but more along the lines of actual named characters.

Take for instance, why have a regular chimera when you could fight daedalus, or instead of a generic helghan trooper we end up fighting radec, cobar, metrac or stratson.

If people were really fans of the series they would identify more with the unique characters.

Sony doesn't have nearly as iconic characters as Nintendo, but then again no one does, so they should just use what they have, and if they can get some third party characters from franchises that are mostly associated with the Playstation brand (e.g Tekken, FF, Metal Gear) they could make this work I think.

Beg to differ on that one. Sonic, master chief, kratos and many more characters can be considered iconic. Considering any game like this would be released on each respective console, chances are the potential purchasers know exactly who these characters are.

Mario007

So you think that one single game potentially selling a little less makes a franchise as old as Zelda less popular than Uncharted, really? Link, Mario and co. have been around for 25 years and in dozens of games on every Nintendo console ever made, that alone and their distinct designs make them much more popular and recognizable than Nathan Drake, who has only been on one console and looks like a generic video game hero.
Look at all the Zelda centric fansites, forums and fan art on the net, then do the same for Uncharted and tell me with a straight face that Nathan Drake is more popular than Link.

Right now he certainly is. Why? Because more people bought a game featuring him as the protagonist as opposed to those who bought SS with Link as the protagonist. This is despite the fact that PS3 has smaller install base than Wii or that Zelda fans didn't receive any mainline Zelda game since Twilight Princess years ago, while Sony released Uncharted games every 2 years this gen.

EDIT: Re Nathan Drake being your generic hero...it's actually quite the opposite in the current gen and that's what's making him more relateable and likeable than most of today's video game heroes.

Also Link's elf with yellow hair and dressed in green isn't exactly the most inspiring design ever.

Right now he certainly is. Why? Because more people bought a game featuring him as the protagonist as opposed to those who bought SS with Link as the protagonist. This is despite the fact that PS3 has smaller install base than Wii or that Zelda fans didn't receive any mainline Zelda game since Twilight Princess years ago, while Sony released Uncharted games every 2 years this gen.

So are you saying everyone who didn't buy SS forgot what Zelda is? There are millions of gamers who don't buy Mario games, yet they most certainly know who Mario is because of the legacy of the franchise. It's not about popularity in terms of recent sales numbers, it's about popular and iconic characters.

EDIT: Re Nathan Drake being your generic hero...it's actually quite the opposite in the current gen and that's what's making him more relateable and likeable than most of today's video game heroes.

Also Link's elf with yellow hair and dressed in green isn't exactly the most inspiring design ever.

It doesn't matter if Link's design is especially inspiring, it's recognizable. Long green hat, green tunic, pointy ears with blue earrings, blond hair, sword and shield, if you have any interest in video games you probably know it's a Nintendo character from a game called Zelda, wether you like or buy the games or not.

Card Boy

Banned
I think Radec is enough for the KZ franchise, I certainly don't want any of the other generic characters from that series. Cole from inFamous is a must.

Well if the Long Live Play video is any indication of what characters are going to be in the rooster we should add.
- Lightning
- Paul from Tekken.
- The girl from Mirror's Edge.

Top Bottom