• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

That Damnation art is pretty sweet, wish it wasn't an Invocation though. Such good art has been wasted on these.

Hour of Revelation looks pretty good. Will for sure see play in EDH, might be a decent sideboard card in some Modern deck. Wonder if there is some kind of creature land deck that can play it in Standard before BFZ rotates.

I knew we wouldn't get Birds with Exert, but man, four drop for mana acceleration?

Eternalize is kind of whatever. Looks like a limited ability.

Edit:
For the most part the art is kind of whatever, some of the good art is stuck to cards that suck and are worthless, and the art actually looks smaller than even normal cards. Invocations suck.
Daze, Wrath of God, Damnation, Spell Pierce, Mind Twist. All of those would be awesome full art cards, instead they made the art smaller.

Will be getting one of those SCG Daze playmats though. At least you can see the art on it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Updated the OP, including with an additional Scorpion King GIF. Speaking of which, spaces between the cards, good? Bad?

And new Invocation.
bloodmoon.jpg

Jonah-says-Cyrus-is-gnarly-fairyambassador-40456042-500-238.gif

DrArchon

Scorpion God looks sick for EDH. Chance to use all of the RB Wither creatures from Shadowmoor in a more synergistic deck.

Hyped to see what the other two gods can do.

Violet_0

Banned
the set looks kind of low-powered right now? So far Ramunap Excavator, Abrade and maybe Bolas and the Bontu sweeper have potential. I like the Scorpion god flavor-wise even with the awful name, he ain't that bad but not even in the right colors (which should be BG). Planeswalker Samut is still LOL

not sure if Hour of Revelation is really anything more than an EDH card

Zocano

Hour of Revelation seems like it can fit well in modern with the right sorta deck

---

FNM time:

Went 3-1 with affinity beating ad nauseam, grixis control, and some mono green jank. Lost to jund. Liking the deck a lot but I'm skiddish on trying the glint nest cranes. Don't like the idea of running no instant/sorceries.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the set looks kind of low-powered right now? So far Ramunap Excavator, Abrade and maybe Bolas and the Bontu sweeper have potential. I like the Scorpion god flavor-wise even with the awful name, he ain't that bad but not even in the right colors (which should be BG). Planeswalker Samut is still LOL

Planar Cleansing saw some play. It's better in a format with Vehicles and Planeswalkers that actively kill you on their own.

The casting reduction is an EDH rider only.

Santiako

Amonkhet wad very low on the power scale as well. Happens after every big overpowered artifact set (Masques, Kamigawa, Amonkhet) - Innistrad being the exception.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What are they suppose to call a scorpion god whose name everyone has forgotten? This isn't that complicated.

Yeef

Open Fire is a very good card. Between that and Inferno Jet both being common, I expect a lot of games to end with burn to the face.

red13th

I guess they took the Jacetice League criticism to heart but merely replaced Jace-everywhere with Nissa-everywhere.

Metamorphosis 2.0 can't come soon enough. I actually miss Jace. haha

OnPoint

Remember when we used to be able to say "Planeswalker X.0" and we all remembered which version was which? I know I can't anymore

Like...

I know this was all set in stone before they learned their lesson, but... come on

en_VlI3HOtQc3.png

This makes what? Five Nissas in standard?

I mean, it's not like you're actually having to worry much about people playing a 7 CMC PW Deck 'walker. They should honestly just be whatever they think will be most attractive and easiest to learn for new players.

If I had an honest complaint, it's that using ludicrous CMCs for these PW Deck 'walkers isn't terribly constructive in teaching players how the card type actually works, considering that 7-mana PWs that can't kill creatures the moment they hit the board aren't really a thing in any format.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope in Return to Amonkhet there's a new cycle:

Gideon's Victory
Liliana's Victory
Chandra's Victory
Nissa's Victory
Jace's Defeat

When is kicker coming back anyway?

It might be a good one for Dominaria if it wasn't last used for Zendikar.
Kicker itself hasn't been around since Zendikar, but it shows up every other block or so as a variant. Escalate in Eldritch Moon is just Kicker, and it was also in Journey into Nyx as Strive. Hell, Entwine is just Kicker also.

I don't mean that to say I don't like Kicker, but more that I don't particularly miss Kicker because they practically always have some variant of Spell or Spell + more mana for better effect.

kirblar

Cool of having a "deserts matter" kinda theme but 3 life as your bonus seems pretty weaksauce. Especially considering these new deserts that tap for colored mana come in tapped.
There's a card called Faith's Fetters that would like to make your acquaintance.

I hope in Return to Amonkhet there's a new cycle:

Gideon's Victory
Liliana's Victory
Chandra's Victory
Nissa's Victory
Jace's Defeat

Kicker itself hasn't been around since Zendikar, but it shows up every other block or so as a variant. Escalate in Eldritch Moon is just Kicker, and it was also in Journey into Nyx as Strive. Hell, Entwine is just Kicker also.

I don't mean that to say I don't like Kicker, but more that I don't particularly miss Kicker because they practically always have some variant of Spell or Spell + more mana for better effect.

Jace's Defeat would be better as a cycle of everyone else beating up Jace. Jace's Defeat: Black, Jace's Defeat: Green...

Dominaria might be the one set where kicker being so generic works in its favor! They'll need a spell mechanic and it's not like any of those other kickers came from Dominaria in the first place.

They should reprint plow under. What a fun card.

Plow Under and Crop Rotation are my favorite cards for enabling excessively literal art interpretations.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Jace's Defeat would be better as a cycle of everyone else beating up Jace. Jace's Defeat: Black, Jace's Defeat: Green...

Dominaria might be the one set where kicker being so generic works in its favor! They'll need a spell mechanic and it's not like any of those other kickers came from Dominaria in the first place.

I kind of like Entwine. Tooth and Nail back for business

(that shit would totally be a fucken Mythic wouldn't)

The card was so good that it was played in constructed. The point is that the +3 life is really valuable in a deck that wants this card and isn't a minor bonus at all.

Lifegain is great when its incidentally on something you want anyways.

Yeef

Cool of having a "deserts matter" kinda theme but 3 life as your bonus seems pretty weaksauce. Especially considering these new deserts that tap for colored mana come in tapped.
It's just Arrest with a bonus. Arrest is already a super-playable card in limited.

Angry Grimace

I don't think it's very likely that this is the payoff for Deserts.

Santiako

The card was so good that it was played in constructed. The point is that the +3 life is really valuable in a deck that wants this card and isn't a minor bonus at all.

I know FF is great, and this card is obviously great in limited like all arrests. I'm just agreeing with him that 3 extra life is a bit crummy for a conditional effect.

Yeef

If this set leans more toward the aggressive side, like Amonkhet, then 3 extra life could be pretty big. With so many deserts at common, it shouldn't be hard to hit the bonus. It reminds me of the Implements in Aether Revolt. They read pretty awful during spoiler season, but ended up being solidly playable (for the most part) in that format.

Ok so I went to my local shop for FNM tonight and they had one random pack of revised for $80. Im super tempted to buy it for a chaos draft Im probably gonna do. Would it be worth the $80?

Santiako

Ok so I went to my local shop for FNM tonight and they had one random pack of revised for $80. Im super tempted to buy it for a chaos draft Im probably gonna do. Would it be worth the $80?

Revised packs are waxy plastic, so it's really easy to see the contents before you open it. It's guaranteed that it doesn't have anything worthwhile inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom