• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

Bergerac

A work colleague came up to me this morning. He asked where he could find an official DS4 for the lowest price.

Despite re-dislocating his shoulder last week, he smashed his DS4 last night writhing around in rage at Crash. XD

Liamc723

What a damn shame, these collision issues are obvious and need looking into.

Sounds like they think their vision is perfect and we are wrong about everything.

Yup, they're way too far up their own arse. This has only put me off the collection even more after giving up on it mid-way through Crash 2.

AlanOC91

Are the relics required for 100% in Crash 3?

I did 100% in Crash 2 and really enjoyed it but I've done it before in the past. Never with Crash 3.

If they are, I might just complete the game normally and pick up Final Fantasy XII next.

Tsunamo

Will be interesting to see if a patch drops with the DLC when it releases. (feel like it'll be a avaliable now/tomorrow announcement considering how small it seems to be)

Are the relics required for 100% in Crash 3?

I did 100% in Crash 2 and really enjoyed it but I've done it before in the past. Never with Crash 3.

If they are, I might just complete the game normally and pick up Final Fantasy XII next.

well it's 105% is crash 3 and yeah they are needed

crash 3 was made with time trails in mind unlike 1 and 2 which were just added for this version

*Splinter

The tricky thing about the DLC is how tiny it is, how much can you charge for 1 or 2 levels that didn't make the cut for the original? $1 dlc? Free dlc from Activision? I wonder if there is more to it, either some levels from later games (with no trophies?) or a brand new level.

We should be thanking them for including an entire three games remade from the ground up and only charging $40 bucks for them. It's a total steal as it is, and you want whatever new stages they bothered to remake as extra to be free too? Christ some people won't be happy until games cost $1 and comes with free DLC for life. They're a business and they don't owe us shit as a "thank you". If you don't want it, you don't have to spend a dime on it.
I'm sure Activision will accept donations if you're worried about them.

Was going to pick this up soon so I figured I'd hop in and see what the current buzz is... Does this suck now or something?
Nothing has changed since release. Some people suck at vehicle levels and VV just said they aren't changing them.

What a damn shame, these collision issues are obvious and need looking into.

Sounds like they think their vision is perfect and we are wrong about everything.
I suspect they just haven't been allowed to spend more time these games now that they're out and most of the sales are done. To be fair I would rather they get to work on Spyro than spend time tweaking a game that most people are finished with.

Liamc723

Why should the DLC be free?

Because it's a remaster of 2 levels that didn't even make the cut in the original game, and the whole collection came out less than a month ago. They were clearly working on these 2 levels before the game released, it's not post release DLC.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Was going to pick this up soon so I figured I'd hop in and see what the current buzz is... Does this suck now or something?

No. Crash 1 is somewhat harder due to the new hitbox, Crash 2 is pretty damn great overall (probably the best of the three), and Crash 3 is very good, just a tad too many dull vehicle levels. Overall it's a great package.

Also:

crash-bandicoot-was-the-hardest-game-of-childhood_o_6926567.jpg

I beat the original Crash Bandicoot ^^

It wasn't too bad, especially since I'm not going for 100% right now. Not too hard, not too easy. Just about right!

It was my first time seriously playing the game, so after playing it a bit more to see how much I can chew off of it, I'm moving onto Crash 2 and then Warped, some of my favorite games of all time ahhhhh

i'm in the the DLC should be free-camp.
It's 2 levels, that they also got the geomotry from naughty dog.

I'd prefer it to be free, but none of the source code from the originals was available for this remake iirc. Those two levels would have to be remade from scratch and also finished. That's a non-trivial amount of work.

Something like adding a replay function to normal level runs should be free, but I can't say even just those two levels should be. If the game sold enough that they could easily afford to make it free, it'd be a nice gesture

*Splinter

I'd prefer it to be free, but none of the source code from the originals was available for this remake iirc. Those two levels would have to be remade from scratch and also finished. That's a non-trivial amount of work.

Something like adding a replay function to normal level runs should be free, but I can't say even just those two levels should be. If the game sold enough that they could easily afford to make it free, it'd be a nice gesture
How much would people even pay for two levels though? Its a tiny amount of gameplay, and the backlash they'd get for overpricing it would erase any goodwill they've built with the trilogy.

How much would people even pay for two levels though? Its a tiny amount of gameplay, and the backlash they'd get for overpricing it would erase any goodwill they've built with the trilogy.

I don't know. Without knowing what the cost behind building and testing a level fully, especially one that wasn't ever completed originally, I can't say for sure. I'd pay ~$4 for the both of them, $2 per level.

Because it's a remaster of 2 levels that didn't even make the cut in the original game, and the whole collection came out less than a month ago. They were clearly working on these 2 levels before the game released, it's not post release DLC.

Oh I see. Yeah that should be free.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Some of the all box runs in Crash 2 are weird, like when you have to get all the boxes in both branching paths of Diggin' it. Having to reverse through that path with the camera as it is, feels kinda off.

Demoskinos

In a world where Nintendo charges full price for a 3 year old port, £50 for Splatoon 2 and £20 for an abysmal season pass? Nah, I don't think so.

I mean it would be nice but let's not get ahead of ourselves. They have every right to charge for an expansion, if they ever so wish too.

A full on expansion? Sure. A few levels that were on the cutting room floor? Yeah, not going to pay for that. Sure they have the right to charge if they want. I just don't see where the value in that DLC is at all outside of it being free. Like especially if the wheels are turning over at VV and the long term plan is to bring out more crash or spyro now that they've seen this remaster be a success throwing two free levels at the community does a lot more for you in the long term to garner more good will than you'd make for the handful of people willing to purchase this DLC.

As a thank you for making the game successful??

This is extremely naive thinking to say the least

There are plenty of developers out there who have made stuff free as a thank you to the fans. Its not like this is some far fetched dream.

I suspect they just haven't been allowed to spend more time these games now that they're out and most of the sales are done. To be fair I would rather they get to work on Spyro than spend time tweaking a game that most people are finished with.

They really should do something about it, these collections will be looked back at years from now and the main feedback loop will be "wonky collision boxes, not as good as the original"

It's the long term that's important and not just the sales month IMO.

A full on expansion? Sure. A few levels that were on the cutting room floor? Yeah, not going to pay for that. Sure they have the right to charge if they want. I just don't see where the value in that DLC is at all outside of it being free. Like especially if the wheels are turning over at VV and the long term plan is to bring out more crash or spyro now that they've seen this remaster be a success throwing two free levels at the community does a lot more for you in the long term to garner more good will than you'd make for the handful of people willing to purchase this DLC.

Yeah my bad, I actually agree with you on that.

I thought you guys were talking a possible expansion.

despire

Oh for fuck sake. I was playing Native Fortress and had managed to spend a ton of lives in the last part. Was down to 7 lives from 22 or something. Then when I finally almost had gotten throught the game crashed. After booting up I was back at the beginning of the stage with 9 lives left..

ghibli99

Man, even with the dash boots, I can't even sapphire Snow Go, the SECOND LEVEL in Crash 2. LOL I got mostly plats in Crash 1, and now I feel like a n00b again.

Edit: OMG Vaga, that GIF. That sucks!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
[/IMG]
Up next Slippery Climb.
giphy.webp

Slippery Climb was probably the gem that took me the most time in the entire game. Mostly due to me fumbling some easy jumps and getting cocky, but the hit detection can really fuck you on some of the vertical sections. Fortunately, the first half of the stage is the only major hurdle, the back half doesn't present too much challenge.

Demoskinos

Man, even with the dash boots, I can't even sapphire Snow Go, the SECOND LEVEL in Crash 2. LOL I got mostly plats in Crash 1, and now I feel like a n00b again.

Edit: OMG Vaga, that GIF. That sucks!

If you're trying to speed run you almost have to wait until you beat cortex and get the Speed Shoe upgrade. Its really essential for being able to make gold times.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

lmao...reminds me of how twice in Crash 1 (can't remember the level exactly) but when they stupidly put a pillar in front of the portal to the bonus area which already was right at the edge of a ledge. Pillar made it so i couldnt see where i was in relation to the bonus portal and i walked right off the ledge twice trying to get in there.

The idea that we should be thanking a business who have already made a ton of money of this product is absolutely embarrassing.

The DLC should be free. So come on, let's have another shitty sassy response.

If sass is what it takes for your brain to creak out an actual argument instead of petty insults, so be it. That's you're problem not mine. Maybe think posts through before posting and giving into the temptation of an edgy remark.

As it stands, no one can deny that this remade trilogy is an incredible value for a very low price already. This could have easily been three separate releases for $30 each. Or a trilogy at $60 even. That they combined such a massive undertaking all into one package at a budget price DOES deserve our gratitude because MORE publishers and developers should follow suit. Positive reception and sales from our end encourages these pro-consumer decisions to continue, so it's important to make that abundantly clear at every turn.

Speaking to the DLC, we don't actually know what it is. It could simply be two stages. It could be much more. We have nothing to go on besides vague trophies. If it's simply two cut stages from the original Crash priced at $10, yeah that's overboard and warrants some outrage. Now if it's $2 bucks a stage, that's fair. Free, even better. But let's wait and see what it actually is before declaring ALL DLC SHOULD BE FREE NO MATTER WHAT, THEY OWE IT TO US. Nothing reeks more of 'entitled gamers' than these kind of statements. They owed us a complete and polished product as fans, and they delivered at an outstanding price.

It's not like there are glaring omissions in the remakes that they are selling as DLC. They delivered each remake as faithfully as possible to the shipped products 20 years ago, with extra features to boot. If this DLC turns out to be something that is not worth your time or money, guess what, you can ignore it and go about your day. Some reactions here are like they're selling the last 5 crystals in Warped as additional content or something.
I'm sure Activision will accept donations if you're worried about them.
Can you elaborate as to where I imply I'm worried about them? Or is it wrong that I'm happy that this collection was an extremely generous package in terms of cost and production value, and want to encourage more like it, when it could have easily been split into pieces and milked dry?

I aged 10 years when this almost happened to me.

Man do I hate the Jetski stages. They absolutely need to refine these controls in a patch. The Jet Pack stages too...

Roo

lmao...reminds me of how twice in Crash 1 (can't remember the level exactly) but when they stupidly put a pillar in front of the portal to the bonus area which already was right at the edge of a ledge. Pillar made it so i couldnt see where i was in relation to the bonus portal and i walked right off the ledge twice trying to get in there.
Pretty sure that's Road to Nowhere haha
The Tawna bonus platform is placed behind a pillar in one of the "rest" areas in the level.
The pillar would make you believe the Tawna bonus platform is right next to the main one but nope, there's a small gap between the two where Crash can fall off if you simply walk lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Only need 2 more crystals in C2. One is all boxes for Piston it away. That one is so annoying. First you need to make it all the way to the last box in the regular stage, doing the special stage on the way, then you need to make it all the way back to the 'no death' platform. You have to make some precise jumps along the way and the final one before the platform is tough as hell: slide jumping on an enemy to make it onto the other end. To make matters worse: you can't see the other side. So you're doing a leap of faith and you have only shot at it too, because if the enemy's dead... that's it.

Most annoying part is that it takes incredibly long to make it to the hardest part of that entire challenge... which is right before the death platform. This is the jump I'm talking about.

Tried so many times already, it's the hardest gem to get by far. The other gem is the one Cold Hard Crash, will be tough as nails too.

Tapejara

I'm against the idea of it being paid DLC mostly because I'm sick of piece meal DLC practices. They don't have to give it out for free, and they're well in their rights to charge for it, but paying $2 for one level isn't something I'm interested in (based on the trophy list this is likely just Stormy Ascent, but of course I'll reevaluate my position if it turns out to be something more substantial).

I don't agree with the argument that we should be rewarding VV/Acti for putting out a complete package though. I certainly appreciate the work VV put into the N.Sane Trilogy, there was a lot of love there and a desire to keep it as faithful as possible, but I don't feel like rewarding them beyond my purchase of the main game when they've made it clear they won't address the collision/handling issues.

Tsunamo

Finally platinumed them all. Was a fun trip down memory lane and nice to conquer my childhood.

Good timing too because i'm itching for a little more and the DLC should do just that (even if it's only one/a couple of levels)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wait, reading some of the yt comments on the Piston vid and apparently you can spin after slide jumping to get more distance? Had no idea, will have to try that out. I thought you needed that enemy to make the gap.

HardRojo

Wait, reading some of the yt comments on the Piston vid and apparently you can spin after slide jumping to get more distance? Had no idea, will have to try that out. I thought you needed that enemy to make the gap.

Yep, spinning after the slide jump gives you a bit more height on that jump, pretty useful stuff.

*Splinter

If sass is what it takes for your brain to creak out an actual argument instead of petty insults, so be it. That's you're problem not mine. Maybe think posts through before posting and giving into the temptation of an edgy remark.

As it stands, no one can deny that this remade trilogy is an incredible value for a very low price already. This could have easily been three separate releases for $30 each. Or a trilogy at $60 even. That they combined such a massive undertaking all into one package at a budget price DOES deserve our gratitude because MORE publishers and developers should follow suit. Positive reception and sales from our end encourages these pro-consumer decisions to continue, so it's important to make that abundantly clear at every turn.

Speaking to the DLC, we don't actually know what it is. It could simply be two stages. It could be much more. We have nothing to go on besides vague trophies. If it's simply two cut stages from the original Crash priced at $10, yeah that's overboard and warrants some outrage. Now if it's $2 bucks a stage, that's fair. Free, even better. But let's wait and see what it actually is before declaring ALL DLC SHOULD BE FREE NO MATTER WHAT, THEY OWE IT TO US. Nothing reeks more of 'entitled gamers' than these kind of statements. They owed us a complete and polished product as fans, and they delivered at an outstanding price.

It's not like there are glaring omissions in the remakes that they are selling as DLC. They delivered each remake as faithfully as possible to the shipped products 20 years ago, with extra features to boot. If this DLC turns out to be something that is not worth your time or money, guess what, you can ignore it and go about your day. Some reactions here are like they're selling the last 5 crystals in Warped as additional content or something.

Can you elaborate as to where I imply I'm worried about them? Or is it wrong that I'm happy that this collection was an extremely generous package in terms of cost and production value, and want to encourage more like it, when it could have easily been split into pieces and milked dry?
tumblr_njiienOWUa1qeablwo2_r1_250.gif

Only need 2 more crystals in C2. One is all boxes for Piston it away. That one is so annoying. First you need to make it all the way to the last box in the regular stage, doing the special stage on the way, then you need to make it all the way back to the 'no death' platform. You have to make some precise jumps along the way and the final one before the platform is tough as hell: slide jumping on an enemy to make it onto the other end. To make matters worse: you can't see the other side. So you're doing a leap of faith and you have only shot at it too, because if the enemy's dead... that's it.

Most annoying part is that it takes incredibly long to make it to the hardest part of that entire challenge... which is right before the death platform. This is the jump I'm talking about.

Tried so many times already, it's the hardest gem to get by far. The other gem is the one Cold Hard Crash, will be tough as nails too.
That gem is hard just because of that one jump. The bonus stage nitro dodge is hard too, but since you can retry it without having to start the level over completely, it doesn't have the same gravitas

wouldn't be so bad without those load times

Liamc723

You're a publisher's wet dream.

I guarantee you they've made more money selling this at $40 than they would have at $60.

No, could not have been 3 separate releases totalling $90, that would have been an absolute rip-off. This isn't a "pro-consumer" product, it's here to make fucking money. Activision aren't here thinking "Oh that PeakPointMatrix and his sassy retorts deserve this collection at a cheap price". No, it's about money and nothing much more.

The DLC is two stages, it is absolutely obvious. Those stages were cut from the original game, and they have been working on them before the game even released. You think we should be paying for them a month after the collection's release? Lol. It's not "entitled gamers", it's having a tiny bit of respect for your fanbase by not charging for it.

Croash

Woah!

After getting Crash 3's Platinum trophy and grabbing a gold relic in Crash 2 with Spaced Out yesterday, I got gold relics for Piston it Away, Bee-Having, Cold Hard Crash and Hangin' Out (thank you, Youtube, for that last one).

Can I breathe, now? Were those the toughest, most unpredicatable levels?

As for Crash 1, shall I expect its top 5 toughest to be Road to Nowhere, The High Road, Slippery Climb, Sunset Vista and Fumbling in the Dark?

Now that I've survived all of this I feel way more confident about eventually getting all Platinum trophies. I just wish VV would eventually patch in some gameplay tweaks because a couple of issues turn the Crash games into more frustrating experiences than before.

Edit: About DLC, I think it's fine to sell more levels just like map packs for multiplayer games. It wasn't part of the trilogy remaking deal, this is content that required extra work that the publisher/developer shouldn't be ashamed of selling. It's not a Prince of Persia Epilogue situation where DLC is just here to mock you as a day one buyer.

Besides, if it also sells well, it might encourage original levels to be added to any of the 3 games. People jokingly compared Crash to Dark Souls. Well, why wouldn't we have Dark Souls like expansions with additional Warp Rooms containing 5 levels with their own Bonus/Death/Gem path challenges, Time Trials, maybe new gameplay mechanics, etc.

But it has to start somewhere and old canceled levels is probably the safest choice.

farisr

As for Crash 1, shall I expect its top 5 toughest to be Road to Nowhere, The High Road, Slippery Climb, Sunset Vista and Fumbling in the Dark?
I found Native Fortress to be harder than Sunset Vista and Slippery Climb as I was finding it hard to make the gold relic time (and restarted a bunch due to that). Got it eventually after some time and did do it by a good margin. It wasn't until I was doing my gem run on it that I realized that I had totally forgotten about the hidden path that would've saved me more than enough time to even get the platinum relic.

High Road and Fumbling In The Dark were undoubtedly the hardest for me though. Road To Nowhere I did after High Road so I found it relatively easy.

Slippery Climb and Sunset Vista I found pretty easy as they are sidescrollers and everything is generally timed according to when you first get there so very easy to memorize the patterns/judge jumps etc.

Sullichin

I found Native Fortress to be harder than Sunset Vista and Slippery Climb as I was finding it hard to make the gold relic time (and restarted a bunch due to that). Got it eventually after some time and did do it by a good margin. It wasn't until I was doing my gem run on it that I realized that I had totally forgotten about the hidden path that would've saved me more than enough time to even get the platinum relic.

High Road and Fumbling In The Dark were undoubtedly the hardest for me though. Road To Nowhere I did after High Road so I found it relatively easy.

Slippery Climb and Sunset Vista I found pretty easy as they are sidescrollers and everything is generally timed according to when you first get there so very easy to memorize the patterns/judge jumps etc.

I agree. I was kind of surprised at the time for sunset vista, once I realized I did not need to be approaching it with the suicidal speed I had been trying, it was a *relatively* easy platinum compared to some other levels.

The Lab was also insanely hard, it will be really tough to get platinum there. After getting the plat trophy I have been going back getting platinum relics where I only have gold. Currently at 10 plat/16 gold so I got a ways to go.

I saved my Road to Nowhere platinum for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWiXVYLqh3I&feature=youtu.be

Is anyone else unable to see the leaderboards? Been broken for 2 days for me

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Man, you guys weren't kidding about Crash 2. Much harder than I remember, especially anything to do with ice. Sucks, 'cause the game itself is pretty good.

Top Bottom