• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

newjeruse

MLB has amended Official Baseball Rule 3.05 regarding such shenanigans. The change will "prohibit a manager from sending his current pitcher out to warm up with no intention of having him pitch because a relief pitcher is not ready to enter the game."
MLB to Joe Girardi: Fuck off

h3ro

MLB to Joe Girardi: Fuck off

L5O3V.jpg

They've nerfed retardi-factor.

Sharp

LaRoche hasn't even started to long-toss from more than 90 feet away... yeah, he's totally gonna be ready for the start of the season.

jman2050

The combination of a winnable division and a high variance roster gives the Mariners a legitimate chance at winning the World Series this year, even with a roster that has plenty of warts. They’re not the favorites, certainly, but if you ran the 2010 season 1,000 times, the Mariners would end up champions in a non-trivial amount of them. They’d also finish last a bunch of times, which is part of the risk they’ve had to accept. But we cannot ignore the fact that among the 30 MLB clubs, Seattle is more likely to win the title in 2010 than most of their competitors.

This paragraph comes so sooooo close to being reasonable, but it just doesn't get there. I mean, "Seattle is more likely to win the title in 2010 than most of their competitors" is just a baffling line even without the benefit of hindsight.

That's Dave Cameron for you I guess.

Macattk15

This paragraph comes so sooooo close to being reasonable, but it just doesn't get there. I mean, "Seattle is more likely to win the title in 2010 than most of their competitors" is just a baffling line even without the benefit of hindsight.

That's Dave Cameron for you I guess.

Even most Mariner fans do not agree / like Dave Cameron. I don't. He has some good ideas ... but he certainly is a homer.

jman2050

Even most Mariner fans do not agree / like Dave Cameron. I don't. He has some good ideas ... but he certainly is a homer.

He's a good statistician and an excellent advocate of sabermetrics. The problem is he's a backend worker who's been shoved into the forefront, and the results have been questionable.

David Aardsma signs a Major League contract for 500K with the Yanks. This could work out to be a steal for the Yanks. David won't be ready until maybe after the all-star break.

tc farks

It's a strange deal to begin with. I don't think the Red Sox wanted to completely piss off the Cubs in terms of future dealings. We clearly could have gotten more if we hung on to him. I'm not saying this Carpenter kid is going to be the next Bard, just better than a bag o' balls.

Not 100% sure what you're saying here. But Carpenter was agreed upon months ago and Larry the douche Lucchino threw a fit and demanded more.

Well, you see where that got him. Procedural PTBNL's involved going in both directions. Cherington will bolt when he gets the chance, just like Theo.

Not to mention the deal was approved BEFORE Selig made his decision. Was Ben worried what Bud would have given? The inane ramblings of Red Sox fans who demanded "significant compensation," was fun to listen to, but there was never a chance of it happening. Looks like Cher-bear saw Carp not walk everyone in sight in the AFL and ran with it.

Sanjuro

Not 100% sure what you're saying here. But Carpenter was agreed upon months ago and Larry the douche Lucchino threw a fit and demanded more.

Well, you see where that got him. Procedural PTBNL's involved going in both directions. Cherington will bolt when he gets the chance, just like Theo.

The Land of Make-Believe must be a wonderful place to live.

Not to mention the deal was approved BEFORE Selig made his decision. Was Ben worried what Bud would have given? The inane ramblings of Red Sox fans who demanded "significant compensation," was fun to listen to, but there was never a chance of it happening. Looks like Cher-bear saw Carp not walk everyone in sight in the AFL and ran with it.

Does that make you a Red Sox fan?

tc farks

The Land of Make-Believe must be a wonderful place to live.

Well that's certainly a worthless post. Months ago people like Bruce Miles reported Carp as the compensation, then talks stalled and the rumblings of Selig stepping in came about. Cherington and Theo acted like adults while Lucchino stomped around throwing a tantrum.

Sanjuro

Well that's certainly a worthless post. Months ago people like Bruce Miles reported Carp as the compensation, then talks stalled and the rumblings of Selig stepping in came about. Cherington and Theo acted like adults while Lucchino stomped around throwing a tantrum.

...if you're holding all the cards, why would you not ask for the moon?

McNei1y

LaRoche hasn't even started to long-toss from more than 90 feet away... yeah, he's totally gonna be ready for the start of the season.

lol amazing. Imagine if we went into the season (or a few weeks in) and we had to move Morse to first base. I like that but who the hell would be in our outfield, especially if we don't start Harper up here or trade for a decent outfielder.

tc farks

...if you're holding all the cards, why would you not ask for the moon?

Because he wasn't holding all the cards. Why would you still think this, especially after the compensation result that has come out? That would have been true BEFORE HE GAVE PERMISSION for the Cubs to talk to Theo. But once Theo talked to Ricketts and he agreed to move to a better job (obviously not a better team), there was already a precedent out there (Andy MacPhail for an A baller).

Ricketts also could have simply waited a year and let Randy Bush fill in for the meantime as an absolute worse case scenario.

This is a good quote, from a Cubs exec.
"Larry Lucchino is one of the most unreasonable people I have ever dealt with and because of his frayed relationship with Theo Epstein he is looking to make a point at the expense of Theo's happiness and his desire to go to Chicago. I didn't believe that ownership group for one second when they said that they wouldn't stand in Theo's way if he wanted out of Boston. They are furious that he wants out and they are trying to make a point. Theo helped bring them two World Series titles and they have no loyalty to him and his happiness. They messed with Terry Francona and that was just an incredibly pathetic move and now they are trying to make life very tough for Theo," he said.

Lucchino was just dragging his feet kicking and screaming the whole time. It was pathetic. And the 1st time I ever looked at the Red Sox organization in a negative light. I had no idea this douche resided there. This is why the agreed upon compensation between Theo and Cherington has taken so long to be finalized. Larry the douche Lucchino. Simple.

Sanjuro

Theo was under contract. How is that not holding the cards? They could have made him wait out his contract. Simple as that.

There is still no precedent set for a general manager's value.

Do you have a link to an article where Cherington is unhappy with his position and is wanting to leave?

hemtae

This is why the agreed upon compensation between Theo and Cherington has taken so long to be finalized. Larry the douche Lucchino. Simple.

If you say so. Because this:

Our 40-man was full. We received a player on the 40-man. Today just happens to be first day you can transfer players to the 60-man DL to free up a roster spot. Today is the day that compensation went through. None of this stuff is coincedence; they weren't just hemming and hawing for 3 months.

makes much more sense.

tc farks

Theo was under contract. How is that not holding the cards? They could have made him wait out his contract. Simple as that.

He was being promoted. They didn't hold the cards so much as they could be a douche to Theo and his happiness for a year, while forcing a toxic environment to develop in the Red Sox front office. Hey Theo, I know you wanted to leave and all, but come back for a year, it will be fun.

No, they NEVER held all the cards. You're impossible.

There is still no precedent set for a general manager's value.

Andy MacPhail went from the Twins to the Cubs back in 1994. The Twins received the 30th best prospect in the Cubs organization.

Do you have a link to an article where Cherington is unhappy with his position and is wanting to leave?

No. This is my prediction. I don't know how that couldn't be painfully obvious it was just my opinion.

Sanjuro

He was being promoted. They didn't hold the cards so much as they could be a douche to Theo and his happiness for a year, while forcing a toxic environment to develop in the Red Sox front office. Hey Theo, I know you wanted to leave and all, but come back for a year, it will be fun.

No, they NEVER held all the cards. You're impossible.

Theo could have stuffed into a cubicle or given a plane ticket to the Bahamas. The fact that the Red Sox owned his contract makes me impossible?

Andy MacPhail went from the Twins to the Cubs back in 1994. The Twins received the 30th best prospect in the Cubs organization.

I stopped at 1994.

No. This is my prediction. I don't know how that couldn't be painfully obvious it was just my opinion.

Hence, The Land of Make-Believe.

tc farks

I already argued at length (on a different forum), about what proper compensation for this whole ordeal was. And I was right. Doesn't make me feel any better, it just always seemed painfully obvious. Everyone who argued for the Red Sox getting more was arguing from the fallacy of holding all the cards. Which they didn't.

Just seeing that comment earlier brought back how disgusted I was by the actions of Lucchino. And I look forward to the Cubs and Red Sox not having to deal with each other.

tc farks

It's not make-believe. If you see an employee get screwed over when leaving to a better position. It certainly makes you think what your future holds.

Please stop trying to sound clever.

Oh also, it's funny that you "stopped at 94." Like that should have no effect on negotiations. It's funny, as Theo Epstein was sure lawyering that shit up.

Sanjuro

It's not make-believe. If you see an employee get screwed over when leaving to a better position. It certainly makes you think what your future holds.

Please stop trying to sound clever.

How is this not make-believe?

I'm not going out of my way to "sound clever", but you are making me seem it. Your entire purpose of this discussion was on the "insane ramblings" of Red sox fans. To this point all you have done is ramble.

tc farks

The land of make believe is a sad attempt to be clever when responding to a perfectly legitimate chance of something happening.

The way an employer treats his employees can have possible negative side-effects down the road. With the way Lucchino treated Theo, I would not be surprised to see Cherington bolt to a better situation. One where he can act directly with the owner, instead of having another person above him such as Lucchino. Who obviously is familiar with power struggle.

This is not the Land of Make-Believe.

And trust me, you don't seem clever at all. If you want to take me presenting facts that absolutely crush your argument about "holding all the cards" as rambling, I have no qualms with that. It's what I expect based on what I've read from you so far.

Sanjuro

Oh also, it's funny that you "stopped at 94." Like that should have no effect on negotiations. It's funny, as Theo Epstein was sure lawyering that shit up.

Sigh. Alright, you honestly believe that a deal made back in 1994 holds up identically to a new scenario in 2012?

Apparently Ryan Howard's rehab is progressing well.

Hopefully they can rehab his swing too.

Yeah it is crazy to hear that he will only miss a few weeks. I was really hoping he would be out for a while. The last few years he has peaked around the middle of the season and then worn down by the end. I was hoping he could hit his peak around when the playoffs start this year. Oh well, Phils are not winning anything with jimmy leading off anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom