• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Just chiming in here regarding two games mentioned in the past few posts:

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Demo | Full Version
This game is crazy fun. Take a look at the GiantBomb quick look... if you aren't sold after watching that video, you must hate fun! Even though the game is suggested for tablets or large phones, I've had almost no issues playing on my Nexus 4.

Pixel Defenders Puzzle
Excellent Match-3 game with a few tactical RPG-like twists. This game has no ads, no IAPs, and no intrusive permissions. The developer has also hinted at Google Play Games support in the future.

I really want Theatrhythm Final Fantasy to be in the Play Store someday, even with the high price that Square's games usually cost.

IIRC it's made by the same people that did Aralon and I am loving Aralon. Ravensword and Bard's Tale are two adventure/RPG games I'm planning to purchase once I get bored of my current round of games.

Thanks for recommendation.

I picked up Bards Tale since it was on sale at $2.99 - wow I am amazed at the quality of it. I like my 3DS but Nintendo have a tough future if games this nice looking and playing, and this cheap (full price would be $6 with past 3 original bards tales games included) become common place.

Bards Tale let me download the high definition graphics despite not being tegra (new n7 owner - loving it), seemed to work without error.

reKon

Banned
Download any adult swim games (Monsters ate my condo, Major Mayhem, Super robot unicorn attack ²}. Those are pretty good.

I need to post a screen shot of my games folder to give good list of great games. I don't know if anyone mentioned Ski safari, but that game is great too and had some of the best developer support I've ever seen..

Still though, my top game right now is Kingdom Rush. If it had Google cloud save between devices, the game would be perfect. Android is great for gaming because there is still a great variety and you have strong emulator and rom support.

Limit

How is puzzle and dragons not listed in the OP? This game is the definition of what mobile gaming ought to be like. Simplistic gameplay that is manageable on mobile and yet laden with interesting enough RPG elements that you keep coming back to it.

As for other android game recommendations, I thought Chaos Rings 2 was a solid traditional turn based rpg experience. Plus, it had one of the better stories to come out of Square this gen.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thanks everyone, glad you're enjoying the game! :D

I see you already support it with achievements! Wonder why the store page doesn't say anything...

Google has some weird requirements- you have to sell enough copies of a game for them to check it out, and if they find the achievements/leaderboards are functional and not just "thrown in," then the developer "earns" the achievement/leaderboards badge in the store.

It's climbin' the Top Paid charts nicely so hopefully I'll earn my badge soon. Woo!

Groof

Thanks everyone, glad you're enjoying the game! :D

Google has some weird requirements- you have to sell enough copies of a game for them to check it out, and if they find the achievements/leaderboards are functional and not just "thrown in," then the developer "earns" the achievement/leaderboards badge in the store.

It's climbin' the Top Paid charts nicely so hopefully I'll earn my badge soon. Woo!

Oh man, that's weird. Hope you do well mate, been playing it non-stop for almost an hour now haha.

Which brings me to a question, I got the second Crazy Dave's Bet e-mail (the one with salad+ice cream & 20 perfects), but I didn't accept it because I wanted to make sure I had enough to buy ice cream as well. Going back to my e-mail list I can't find it anymore. Is it gone forever now?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh man, that's weird. Hope you do well mate, been playing it non-stop for almost an hour now haha.

Which brings me to a question, I got the second Crazy Dave's Bet e-mail (the one with salad+ice cream & 20 perfects), but I didn't accept it because I wanted to make sure I had enough to buy ice cream as well. Going back to my e-mail list I can't find it anymore. Is it gone forever now?

As long as you haven't started/completed a new day, you can go into your "read" email messages and still accept the challenge.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Any Android pros in here that know if the games will look like shit/not very good on the new Nexus 7? (1920x1200). Or is that an already supported resolution?

I'm really tempted!

Nasreddin

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is amazing. The first game looked horrible on tablets. But this one has nice grafics. Bought the Song pack for 3 bucks. Every song fits well. Gameplay is more endless runner fun. Loving it.

Any Android pros in here that know if the games will look like shit/not very good on the new Nexus 7? (1920x1200). Or is that an already supported resolution?

I'm really tempted!

They will scale. Whether or not they will look good...well that is up to the developer.

Groof

Really? That's strange. Maybe check the favorites folder? It shouldn't have just disappeared like that.

Completely gone. I even tried to favourite a few e-mails to see if it would pop up, but no dice. Even tried restarting the game!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Completely gone. I even tried to favourite a few e-mails to see if it would pop up, but no dice. Even tried restarting the game!

Hmm, checking the code now and did some experiments, and I don't see any problems on that end. The good news is that those bets will come up again later. You should get another one in a few days. :)

Sorry about that though, maybe favorite that email next time? I'll recheck the code again to make sure.

ILoveBish

My fav android game so far is Puzzle Quest. I was sad i finished it, i wanted to play it more. I heard the ios version has more content to play =(

Groof

Hmm, checking the code now and did some experiments, and I don't see any problems on that end. The good news is that those bets will come up again later. You should get another one in a few days. :)

Sorry about that though, maybe favorite that email next time? I'll recheck the code again to make sure.

Oh that's great to hear! Was really stoked to kick Dave's ass haha.
I'll deffo fave it immediately next time if I need to do something before accepting it. Thank you very much for all your kind help! Now I'ma go back to serve some hungry peeps. ;)

It's settled. When my Nexus 7 arrives on Tuesday, the first game I'm downloading and playing is Cook, Serve, Delicious.

Are the mobile versions selling well, chubigans?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's settled. When my Nexus 7 arrives on Tuesday, the first game I'm downloading and playing is Cook, Serve, Delicious.

Are the mobile versions selling well, chubigans?

Wow, thanks! Mobile sales are really solid so far. It's interesting- the PC version has made more money to date with big intial sales (thanks to Giantbomb) and iOS had a smaller start, but more consistent over the months. In fact, I'd wager that mobile sales have surpassed PC/Mac/Linux sales by now. (I have a detailed article about my experiences actually.)

Android so far is really promising. I will say the developer tools to deploy the game onto the store is miles beyond iOS. Way, way, WAY better. It's really great.

(not-so-fun fact: total I've made on the Linux version via the Ubuntu store and my own site? Less than $30. $7 from the Ubuntu store. Glad I didn't have to spend much time on that port, hah.)

I really want Theatrhythm Final Fantasy to be in the Play Store someday, even with the high price that Square's games usually cost.

Yeah, the only game I play on my Nexus 10 is Pinball Arcade, but I'd jump on Theatrhythm in a heartbeat regardless of price. I wish I knew what the holdup was.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Post number two has games that support Google Play Games features. List isn't done yet, but wanted to put it up. Those games are the ones that Groof helped put together. Big thanks to him. Still compiling my half of the list. I will also organize it a bit better when I'm done.

Post number two has games that support Google Play Games features. List isn't done yet, but wanted to put it up. Those games are the ones that Groof helped put together. Big thanks to him. Still compiling my half of the list. I will also organize it a bit better when I'm done.

I'm looking for a Chess game that supports Google Play Games features but I haven't found one other than Korean Chess.

Groof

Great stuff!
And everyone keep in mind, there are probably a lot of games that are probably missing. Especially now that I know how the badge system works thanks to chubigans.

Wow, thanks! Mobile sales are really solid so far. It's interesting- the PC version has made more money to date with big intial sales (thanks to Giantbomb) and iOS had a smaller start, but more consistent over the months. In fact, I'd wager that mobile sales have surpassed PC/Mac/Linux sales by now. (I have a detailed article about my experiences actually.)

Android so far is really promising. I will say the developer tools to deploy the game onto the store is miles beyond iOS. Way, way, WAY better. It's really great.

(not-so-fun fact: total I've made on the Linux version via the Ubuntu store and my own site? Less than $30. $7 from the Ubuntu store. Glad I didn't have to spend much time on that port, hah.)

Now that you mention that Gamasutra article, I think there was a thread of GAF about it. Glad to see the mobile versions have legs. I was so upset when Cook, Serve, Delicious didn't make it onto Steam through Greenlight. I tried the demo through Desura back then, but I wasn't that good at playing the game. From the video on the Play Store, I think I'll enjoy the mobile version more.

Is $7 two copies?

You lucky, lucky bastard :p

;)

reKon

Banned
Just want to say that Minion Rush is an excellent Temple Run clone. Is very well done.

for some reason this game has terrible frame rate drops and performance on my HTC One...

In addition, I wouldn't compare this more to Subway surfers rather than Temple Run.

reKon

Banned
Do games that have Google Play Games achievements have cloud saves? Or is that still a feature that is yet to come?

No. I think it shows an icon if the game support cloud saving. I know that the developers of Rip Tide have cloud saving on their games and it works flawlessly in my experience. I was really hoping for other developers to implement this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Now that you mention that Gamasutra article, I think there was a thread of GAF about it. Glad to see the mobile versions have legs. I was so upset when Cook, Serve, Delicious didn't make it onto Steam through Greenlight. I tried the demo through Desura back then, but I wasn't that good at playing the game. From the video on the Play Store, I think I'll enjoy the mobile version more.

Is $7 two copies?

One copy. :(

Yeah, not getting through Greenlight was kind of gutting, but ah well. I'll just join the hundreds of other indies who got rejected too. I'm not really all that upset anymore since making it onto the Humble Store platform.

Groof

No. I think it shows an icon if the game support cloud saving. I know that the developers of Rip Tide have cloud saving on their games and it works flawlessly in my experience. I was really hoping for other developers to implement this.

None of the Riptide games have an icon for cloud saving. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's a feature the dev has to support for it to work. Every single game should support it imho!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do games that have Google Play Games achievements have cloud saves? Or is that still a feature that is yet to come?
It's my understanding cloud data sync has existed for quite some time now. Devs just don't implement it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So I wanted to see what the word was on Pixel Defenders Puzzle on Twitter (my new mobile game love) and all I found was a few good words from iOS users and apk links. Sad.

It's my understanding cloud data sync has existed for quite some time now. Devs just don't implement it.
Wish Google would just bypass dev laziness and just let users do a full app backup. Don't really want to root my Nexus but I feel like I'll need to in order to use ROM toolbox again.

Wish Google would just bypass dev laziness and just let users do a full app backup. Don't really want to root my Nexus but I feel like I'll need to in order to use ROM toolbox again.

I think you can do app data backups with Helium and it doesn't require root. Not sure though because I use Titanium so never felt the need to buy it.

Amon37

Why do they call it Galaxy on Fire 2 when it isn't a sequel?
It's the same GoF I played on the Atrix almost 2 years ago

deim0s

Here's what I'm playing currently:

5XYeiTV.jpg

Aces of the Luftwaffe
Shmup and has IAPs - you won't need to buy anything at all.

Massa

Try contacting the people behind blogs like OMG Ubuntu and webupd8 with press copies or something.

Blitzzz

After trying and dumping numerous pixel art and bejewel clone games I've finally settled on something that isn't too boring and decent to look at

Monster Blade is the only game I play now

if only a mobile Civ or FTL would come out

Is there any news of Final Fantasy Tactics (hopefully the same upgraded IOS version) coming to Android?

It's already out on Android in Japan via SE's Market, and it already had the features that were later included in the iOS update. No news on a Western release though.

And on that note, no news, not even in Japan AFAIK, on the Android ports of TWEWY, Theatrhythm, or FFV. :(

Daigoro

huh that game Triple Town game mentioned in the op under the Google games post is surprisingly good.

dunno what made me download it, didn't seem like my kind of game at all, but I'm kind of hooked on it right now.

took a few games to figure out what I was doing, and I'm terrible at puzzle games, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Ifrit

It's already out on Android in Japan via SE's Market, and it already had the features that were later included in the iOS update. No news on a Western release though.

And on that note, no news, not even in Japan AFAIK, on the Android ports of TWEWY, Theatrhythm, or FFV. :(

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to it. Seems to be the definitive version

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Supposedly Hero Forge could get out of beta anytime now. Definitely one of my most played Android games as of late. I can't wait to see the full version with more options.

Still not entirely certain the balance is great yet though. All of the top players seem to be majority Ogres.

Top Bottom