• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Arcade Archives Series for Nintendo Switch |OT|

lol what did any of you expect
WARNING: rhetorical question, I know you wanted 99 cents

How many people actually cared about "mario bros" though enough to pay $8. Super mario bros yes that I get but the original? Nah. Kinda like street fighter....no one cares about the 1st one...it's all about sf2

duckroll

It's the standard Arcade Archive pricing.

Yeah, but I guess when the first game in your new Arcade Archive series is VS Mario Bros, it's a bit of a bad look. It's not a particularly high value title unfortunately. Punch Out would make a much more compelling case for leading the pack.

jaypah

How many people actually cared about "mario bros" though enough to pay $8. Super mario bros yes that I get but the original? Nah. Kinda like street fighter....no one cares about the 1st one...it's all about sf2

I'd buy SF1 for 8 bucks. It's a shit game but I love the sounds. Plus the Dragon Punch is so OP it's hilarious. Given the choice I'd rather have SF2 though, so I see your point.

Mario Bros. is a classic game and I'm sure plenty would care about it more if there weren't already a bunch of other ways to play a version of it.

duckroll

Mario Bros. is a classic game and I'm sure plenty would care about it more if there weren't already a bunch of other ways to play a version of it.

I don't really think this is completely true. Maybe I'm off, but my impression has always been that Super Mario Bros is a classic game that everyone cares about, but Mario Bros is a far less known arcade title with limited gameplay and the only interest it in being historical curiosity since it features beloved characters in a strange oddity of a bygone era.

I don't really think this is completely true. Maybe I'm off, but my impression has always been that Super Mario Bros is a classic game that everyone cares about, but Mario Bros is a far less known arcade title with limited gameplay and the only interest it in being historical curiosity since it features beloved characters in a strange oddity of a bygone era.

Well yeah, it's not even close to the status of something like Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros, but it's still generally considered a high point in Nintendo's early arcade days. Maybe "classic" is a bit too strong though.

Yukinari

I forgot this game was coming out and i saw the price and i was like haha no.

I managed to get KF2 Deluxe for 12 bucks or even buying a Nintendo Select for 20 is a better deal.

styl3s

I assume by the title "vs" they are all games that require 2 people to play? Can you play against computer?

Yeah, but I guess when the first game in your new Arcade Archive series is VS Mario Bros, it's a bit of a bad look. It's not a particularly high value title unfortunately. Punch Out would make a much more compelling case for leading the pack.

VS. Mario Bros doesn't exist. Perhaps you mean: Mario Bros.

Longtime GAFers saying Mario Bros. isn't a classic?

What the actual fuck is going on here?

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't a classic or a bad game (it's neither) but rather many associate Super Mario Bros as where the series was defined? And (me personally) I can't see many people wanting to pay $8 for the original Mario Bros(SMB yes IMO). I grew up on this in the 80s btw. SMB was the game changer IMO.

Theorymon

Do we know if these are going to have a consistent release schedule like Hamster's Neogeo stuff? Would be nice to know if I can get my grubby mitts on Punch-Out and Vs Super Mario Bros Soon :D

Not sure if I'll be getting Mario Bros (that heavily depends on how much my college buddies want to play that), since 8 bucks for that is prettty steep, but I might be able to stomach it.

You couldn't even get me to pay 99 cents for Vs Urban Champion though, let alone 8 dollars! I don't get why Nintendo keeps insisting on re-releasing that piece of garbage, and now Hamster is too...

Ninja Dom

Longtime GAFers saying Mario Bros. isn't a classic?

What the actual fuck is going on here?

Hey, your username is a classic Nintendo arcade game.

I think Mario Bros is a classic. I think it’s one of the first cooperative 2 player arcade games. It definitely paved the way for the Bubble Bobble series.

Yes, it’s not as iconic as Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros though.

EDIT: Game isn’t up on the UK eShop yet. Anybody know what time it goes live?

While we're talking about classic Nintendo arcade games...

Dk3_arcade.jpg

Ok, not really, but I love it and hope it's a part of Arcade Archives in the future.

andymcc

Banned
Do we know if these are going to have a consistent release schedule like Hamster's Neogeo stuff? Would be nice to know if I can get my grubby mitts on Punch-Out and Vs Super Mario Bros Soon :D

Not sure if I'll be getting Mario Bros (that heavily depends on how much my college buddies want to play that), since 8 bucks for that is prettty steep, but I might be able to stomach it.

You couldn't even get me to pay 99 cents for Vs Urban Champion though, let alone 8 dollars! I don't get why Nintendo keeps insisting on re-releasing that piece of garbage, and now Hamster is too...

Hamster has charged more for even worse arcade “classics” before.

Dk3_arcade.jpg

Ok, not really, but I love it and hope it's a part of Arcade Archives in the future.

Underrated AF.

Excitebike sure was something back in the day. Was it the first game with a track editor? I'm not sure but I feel like it was the first one I played.

Theorymon

Hamster has charged more for even worse arcade “classics” before.

Underrated AF.

Worse than Urban Championship? Damn that's impressive, because even as a Nintendo fan, that game is up there with the worst imo!

Agreed on Donkey Kong 3 though, I know it isn't that popular but its a fun, strange little shooter.

it's a game i've mostly ignored when it was included free in other things. it's a historical curiosity for my friends and I as people born after it came out. i don't think there was ever a point where I'd have paid this price for it.

Ninja Dom

Dk3_arcade.jpg

Great game actually. But ‘Stanley the Bug Man’? Where’s my Mario. And despite the presentation the game is actually a shooter.

StanleyTheBugman.jpg

Ninja Dom

It's up.

Downloading now!!

EDIT: So exact same presentation as Hamster's Neo Geo Arcade Archive games. There is an Online Rankings table.

Joqu

Yeah, it's up here too. Really a bit too pricey for me though, and I like Mario Bros. I hope they put these on sale down the line.

I think Mario Bros is a classic. I think it’s one of the first cooperative 2 player arcade games.
Co-operative? I spent my time trying to kill the other player. ;) "Hey, you're wasting my money! We're on the same side!".

I consider it a classic, too. It was especially awesome at the time when there wasn't much like it. Donkey Kong 3 is underrated, too.

Sakwoff

Co-operative? I spent my time trying to kill the other player. ;) "Hey, you're wasting my money! We're on the same side!".

I consider it a classic, too. It was especially awesome at the time when there wasn't much like it. Donkey Kong 3 is underrated, too.

Yea. 2 player Mario Bros turns delightfully vicious fast. Definitely recommended if you have someone to play locally. So good. :D

Really happy about this release. I've only ever played the NES Mario Bros Classic version. Just downloaded.

Ninja Dom

The game’s hard and most of us are spoiled by Mario’s modern movements.

You can’t jump up vertically and then move left or right in the air, which was possible even in Super Mario Bros.

But playing it almost every feature reappears in Super Mario Bros, 2 years later. Except the POW block.

The game’s hard and most of us are spoiled by Mario’s modern movements.

You can’t jump up vertically and then move left or right in the air, which was possible even in Super Mario Bros.

But playing it almost every feature reappears in Super Mario Bros, 2 years later. Except the POW block.
Yeah, it might be hard for people that didn't grow up with the original to deal with those controls. Nintendo even updated the game with air left/right movement in later 8-bit releases (Kaettekita Mario Bros. and PAL Mario Bros. Classic).

Piccoro

I wonder if Nintendo will get the rights to the original Donkey Kong arcade.
They did manage to secure the Super FX license to Star Fox 2, after all...

I wonder if Nintendo will get the rights to the original Donkey Kong arcade.
They did manage to secure the Super FX license to Star Fox 2, after all...

This is an absolute must. I'm shocked they still haven't as of 2017, but maybe this will light a fire under their ass to get it done.

Feffe

Mario Bros. has a good concept but a very aged execution, it's not a classic like Super Mario Bros., the early Zeldas or Kirbys and so on. It's not Bubble Bobble.

This is pretty awesome. I grew up playing this game along with a bunch of the other Nintendo Arcade Classics in the 80’s and early 90’s in my family’s Arcade on the Seaside Heights Boardwalk. I’m in for every and any Nintendo Arcade game Hamster wants to bring to the Arcade Archives like.

kc44135

Um, so is it $8 for all of the games listed in the OP, or is that the price for each of them. Because LOL @ $8 for Mario Bros...

Simbabbad

Dk3_arcade.jpg

It's the best Donkey Kong arcade game IMO.

A lot of classic Nintendo arcade games have a bad reputation because of the inferior NES ports, but many of them are excellent.

Raitaro

8 bucks in my opinion is not too much to ask for an arcade perfect version of a timeless classic that was never ported before.

Sometimes I struggle to understand why people are able to easily spend similar amounts of money on twitch donations, snacks or simply on coffee at Starbucks but not on a re-release of an old game that deserves to be preserved. To each their own I guess.

Great game actually. But ‘Stanley the Bug Man’? Where’s my Mario. And despite the presentation the game is actually a shooter.

StanleyTheBugman.jpg

#Stanley4Smash

(I'm dead serious! I actually voted for him in that poll they held!)

Top Bottom