• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

How do you adhere your rub? I use yellow mustard but I don't use a mop sauce.

Am I the only one who uses molasses in my BBQ sauce?
I don't add anything to make it adhere. I have never had an issue with the rub not sticking. I've used both mustard and oil in the past but I cannot tell a difference in the finished product so I no longer use either.

HiResDes

Made Onkelc Spaghetti and turned out phenomenal, used a Portuguese Red Wine this time and it gave the pork beef mix this lovely peppery oaky flavor.

sYNHcCv.jpg

zbarron

I don't add anything to make it adhere. I have never had an issue with the rub not sticking. I've used both mustard and oil in the past but I cannot tell a difference in the finished product so I no longer use either.
There was really no difference in the bark? Interesting.

Tonight I did a sous vide pork loin at 139*F and finished it off with a sear on the grill with about two minutes on each side. It was tasty and very tender but a little dry. There was a ton of juice in the bag after I removed it. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep it juicer? A lower temperature isn't really an option as long as my wife is pregnant. Would salting it an hour before I cook it, like I do with steak, help, or is the meat too thick for it to penetrate deep enough. Any advice would be appreciated.

zbarron

I tried to smoke a pork tenderloin. I rubbed it with mustard and a BBQ spice rub and threw it on my grill with less charcoal than usual and the lid to my dutch oven over the coals to act as a heat diffuser. I added chunks of a maple that fell in my yard. Even with that it was around 300-350*F. That's a little hot to consider it smoking. It hit 140*F in about 40 minutes which was fast, but it was just a little one pound loin.
19985865401_261dc801a5_h.jpg

It came out juicy and flavorful. This was fantastic. The smoke was subtle but present.

Zyzyxxz

There was really no difference in the bark? Interesting.

Tonight I did a sous vide pork loin at 139*F and finished it off with a sear on the grill with about two minutes on each side. It was tasty and very tender but a little dry. There was a ton of juice in the bag after I removed it. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep it juicer? A lower temperature isn't really an option as long as my wife is pregnant. Would salting it an hour before I cook it, like I do with steak, help, or is the meat too thick for it to penetrate deep enough. Any advice would be appreciated.

There are several factors that would determine the juiciness.

First of all if there is a lot of liquid in the bag it means its coming from your pork. At 139F most of it should stay in the meat but if you are cooking it for a long time then that would still cause juices to run from the meat. Make sure you are only cooking it for as long as it takes to get the center to 139F any longer doesn't help it get more tender since its loin is already tender when cooked properly. If you are cooking it with a sauce stay away from vinegar and citrus, I would cook those sauces separately from the pork.

Then there is brining. While some people don't want to "add" liquid via brining because it may water down the taste dry brining works as well but you must allow it time to work. One hour may only be enough to draw out the lidquid but you need to give it time to reabsorb it's own juices. Best thing to do is overnight 12-24 hours (preferably closer to 12 if its a smaller piece of meat). Also after searing you should be resting it a few minutes if you aren't already.

Doing all of this should help your pork loin stay juicy at this point the only other thing you can do to up your game is to buy really good quality pork, some with really nice marbling in the loin as that is the easiest to way to guarantee juicy loin.

zbarron

There are several factors that would determine the juiciness.
Thanks. It has to be the time I had it in the machine given how much juicier the next tenderloin that I smoked came out. It is just weird to me since all my other Sous Vide meat could be left in there an extra hour if someone was running late with little difference. I can try dry brining overnight but I think next time I get one of these I will be cooking it on the grill again.

This was a cheap prepackaged cryovac one but it's good enough, we try to stick to a tight budget which is why you don't see steak and fish or other expensive ingredients in my posts.

Zyzyxxz

Thanks. It has to be the time I had it in the machine given how much juicier the next tenderloin that I smoked came out. It is just weird to me since all my other Sous Vide meat could be left in there an extra hour if someone was running late with little difference. I can try dry brining overnight but I think next time I get one of these I will be cooking it on the grill again.

This was a cheap prepackaged cryovac one but it's good enough, we try to stick to a tight budget which is why you don't see steak and fish or other expensive ingredients in my posts.

Well while yes your meat won't overcook no matter how long you keep it in there (within reason) lean pieces of meat don't do well if they aren't brined during long sous vide cooking.

Zyzyxxz

Made Japanese curry with beech mushrooms, potatoes, and beef rib finger meat. For those of you not in the know, rib finger is the meat that is located inbetween the bones of beef ribs. Lots of fat and connective tissue but when braised they will turn tender and it actually cooks very fast. It's cheap but you get that short rib taste without the price.

-4ay17zMSpbMNUlqTGrPCq5A0Pj4Q5duJRdbBwKbIxc=s800

zbarron

20004611705_bddb9863ce_h.jpg

Today I picked up an El Cheapo Brinkmann Smoker used off craigslist for $20. It is already modded to run much better than stock which is convenient and the price is right. It's no looker but it should function well. I've been doing some dry runs today.

It sits at about 215*F no matter what I do to it. I am going to test the minion method tomorrow.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tried to do exactly what you said any secret to keeping the meet moist?
you mean like more sauce? If the ragu gets too thick, you can add a ladle of the pasta water to it before serving. Best would be to add less pasta into the skillet or serve the Ragu separate from the pasta.

jwk94

Made Japanese curry with beech mushrooms, potatoes, and beef rib finger meat. For those of you not in the know, rib finger is the meat that is located inbetween the bones of beef ribs. Lots of fat and connective tissue but when braised they will turn tender and it actually cooks very fast. It's cheap but you get that short rib taste without the price.

-4ay17zMSpbMNUlqTGrPCq5A0Pj4Q5duJRdbBwKbIxc=s800
Recipe?

HiResDes

you mean like more sauce? If the ragu gets too thick, you can add a ladle of the pasta water to it before serving. Best would be to add less pasta into the skillet or serve the Ragu separate from the pasta.

Yeah it seemed like I had a whole bunch, but the pasta absorbed a lot more than I had anticipated.

Have some tacos al pastor working in the crock pot right now, if they turn out ok ill post some pics!

Whelp that was a fail, pork was dry and way too watery. I should know better when one of the united states best Al Pastor places is right down the street from me to even try and compare.

House sitting my Mom's place this week nets me the use of a legit grill.

Roasted some fingerling taters with dill and garlic.

Super simple rub of just smoked Hawaiian sea salt and and coarsely ground black pepper on the steak.

zbarron

What's the red sauce? It reminds me of Harissa but I doubt it is. Anyway looks tasty.
I always wanted to buy this exact smoker...and paint it with high-temp paint it look like R2D2, lol. The shape is perfect!
I told my wife it looks like a rusty Doctor Who villain. R2D2 is a more apt description. There are people who have done it.

I was going to do Mini WSM conversion with my grill to turn it into a smoker. I priced the parts and even without a paint job it was $53 so this for $20 was the better deal.

I brought it up to 400*F today and cooked a frozen pizza on it instead of heating up the kitchen. It worked well.
This.
ikr

Made some Japanese curry (store bought roux cubes) and makizushi with tuna (the left piece is the endpiece, which is why it looks a bit messed up) the other day:
Very nice. Looks awesome. I miss good sushi.
Simple pleasures tonight, AKA Sammich!

Trying to beat the heat?
House sitting my Mom's place this week nets me the use of a legit grill.

Roasted some fingerling taters with dill and garlic.

Super simple rub of just smoked Hawaiian sea salt and and coarsely ground black pepper on the steak.
Very nice looking. Reverse sear?

zbarron

The sous-vide adventure begins!
Very nice. I just got two dry aged T-Bones that'll be going in one of those some time this week. Have you used it yet?

19590164784_7086321846_h.jpg

I finally am doing my first real smoke on my smoker. It's a four pound bone in pork shoulder rubbed with Mojo seasoning and smoked with apple wood chunks. I started it around 10:30. I just took it off the smoker 10 hours later. It's at 185*F and my smoker was down to 190*F. I just finished a bag of charcoal and don't want to open another so it's finishing the last 10 degrees in the oven wrapped in foil. Once it hits 195*F or when the bone pulls clean out I am going to rest it for an hour and then I get to shred it at 10:00 or 11:00 tonight. When they say low and slow they mean it.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the rest of the ingredients and have a week's worth of Cubanos.

Steak donburi up. Wagyu chuck tail, wasabi, soy sauce, onions, some store bought pickles for fun all over rice.

6R2CgosA1dSxIkNXa8hfhyUEh_S39UdPAhgcKxmJ4p8=w1009-h670-no
Good stuff bro. You got the actual root for it?

Also, I'd like to make a public service announcement that everyone should check out he Munchies (by way of Vice) miniseries The Sushi Chef. It's really, really fucking good, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a chef who specializes in Japanese cooking. It's just good documentary in general.

Zyzyxxz

Good stuff bro. You got the actual root for it?

Also, I'd like to make a public service announcement that everyone should check out he Munchies (by way of Vice) miniseries The Sushi Chef. It's really, really fucking good, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a chef who specializes in Japanese cooking. It's just good documentary in general.

Sadly it was a frozen root mince. The real stuff in California can run anywhere from $60-100 per lb and its not always guaranteed to be fragrant unfortunately. I only buy it if preparing for a special event.

I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask this question. What is a really good panini press? Should I go for something simple just to keep it cheap, or are the bigger, multi use ones worth the higher price?

zbarron

I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask this question. What is a really good panini press? Should I go for something simple just to keep it cheap, or are the bigger, multi use ones worth the higher price?

I don't own one and haven't done the research so I may not be the best one to ask but I like these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WTSCXBA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039UU9TU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am a huge cast iron fan and also not a fan of single use large items in my kitchen.

Zyzyxxz

George foreman grill? lol I dunno never felt the urge to buy one but a lodge cast iron pan and a cast iron burger press should work.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Depends on what you will do with it. a good hi temperature panini press doubles as a great contact grill for steaks and burgers as well.
I started with a George Foreman model,
smallCIMG1468.jpg

but wasn't too convinced of it tbh. My wife bought me one of these (the small "Firenze") as a christmas gift a couple years ago, and it works great:
http://www.milantoast.com/en/home.html

HiResDes

Have some tacos al pastor working in the crock pot right now, if they turn out ok ill post some pics!
I just made some tomatillo tacos my self out of slow cooked chicken and a tomatillo based sauce. It was probably my most successful meal yet. I just slightly modified a recipe I found online.

zbarron

I just made some tomatillo tacos my self out of slow cooked chicken and a tomatillo based sauce. It was probably my most successful meal yet. I just slightly modified a recipe I found online.

Very nice. It sounds delicious. Creating and improvising is very fun once you have the basics down.

19676352194_d001ce4766_h.jpg

I cooked the dry aged T-Bones today. Sous Vide at 135*F for an hour and then seared on my tiny grill with an entire chimney filled with charcoal and 4 chunks of apple wood. Suffice it to say the grill was hot. I topped one with slices of compound butter made with fresh chives from the garden and the other with a pan sauce made from a mix of the compound butter, the drippings in the sous vide bags and a splash of lemon juice. Both were fantastic. Ridiculously tender and flavorful. I am not sure if I am cooking steaks any other way again.

On the side we have some hassleback potatoes and some steamed haricot verts from my garden.

We were having a mini celebration.

thespot84

Guess I can put this here:

Baked red snapper with a sourcream/lemon/horseradish/balsamic glaze over white bean puree with garlic roasted broccolini.

I think next time I'll do less to the snapper since it's such a delicious fish on it's own, and the florets on the broccolini didn't like the heat in the oven and burned a little bit.

Zyzyxxz

Made soba and tempura (shrimp, fish cake, shishito pepper, and onion) today
7lRBP2OOvlmw1gden8XOCe3HAH_0jz7LXyOL7axQh-I=s893-no

... and the florets on the broccolini didn't like the heat in the oven and burned a little bit.

Don't worry, in restaurants we'll just put it on the menu as wood fired oven charred broccolini LOL.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Had a seafood long weekend!

We bought seven dozen fresh oysters from our fish monger for an oyster party.

Took a while to shuck them myself, but it was well worth the effort

We also got a bunch of mussels for the day after, and I cooked them with leeks, bacon and white wine. My friend also made some clam chowder

The mussels were the plumpest I've ever had, the size of small eggs

I've also been fermenting my own Chinese sauerkraut (made with Napa Cabbage) It was finally ready and I made some delicious Suan Cai Tang, which is Chinese sauerkraut soup with pork bones and pork belly.

Top Bottom