• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Pixieking

Banned
Oh come on. Saying "they're nothing alike" is as reductive and silly as saying "Nioh is just a Soulsborne clone". Nioh obviously draws significant influence from Soulsborne games, while doing its own thing.

Well, let's see...

To me, Nioh lacks the exploration, level design, enemy design and environmental storytelling of SoulsBorne games. I read Nioh was very SoulsBorne, and, honestly, I don't think it is. It's more DMC or Ninja Gaiden than SoulsBorne, which is fine, totally - it does its own thing, and if you go into it expecting its own thing, then you won't be disappointed. But my word of warning was meant as a "If you go into Nioh expecting SoulsBorne, you will be disappointed... because I did, and I was."

*shrugs* :)

Donos

I will never take Amygdala down :(

Edit: Fuck it. I will save a Savegame from before Gehrmann and just finish the game. I guess I will never take down Amgydala when leave the game now but I dont want to spend more time on this game.
Thuesday I am going to kill the Moon Presence and that will it be.

Often it works after you get some distance from the game...

Finally got the Yharnam trophy! It's a shame that such a unique (and ridiculously gross) boss fight was placed behind a dozen chalice dungeons. It wasn't even a hard fight, the way there is much more difficult.

Also managed to kill Orphan of Kos but needed a co-op partner for that. He died close to the end, but it was enough to get me there. There's no way I could have done this alone, the fight is too crazy.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can someone explain the chalice dungeons to me? i have played through the game twice now and never bothered with them. next playthrough i want to give them a go.

Kinsei

Banned
can someone explain the chalice dungeons to me? i have played through the game twice now and never bothered with them. next playthrough i want to give them a go.

All of the ones with the word root in the name are randomly generated and you don;t need to do them. The rest are all scripted with set layouts, enemies, and bosses. The main goal of the chalice dungeons is to make it to the final Pthumeru chalice and fight
Queen Yharnam (That woman in the white dress you see after Rom and before Mergo's Wet Nurse).

Teeth

To add to the above, there seems to be a set order that you have to go through to get the items necessary to do higher level ones. From what I've done so far:

1) Pthumeru 1
2) Pthumeru 2 (you get Hintertomb chalice here)
3) Pthumeru 3
4) Hintertomb 2
5) Hintertomb 3
6) Loran 4
7) Loran 5
8) Pthumeru 4 <- where I'm at
And then, I'm assuming
9) Isz 5
10) Pthumeru 5

I don't do any of the Root Chalices because procedural generation isn't my style and the cost of making the chalice dungeon (in items) seems high. I'm not into grinding for rare drops just to make it through the standard (non-root) chalice dungeons.

The structure for each dungeon is generally -
Enter -> go through the first section to find the big purple switch -> find the main treasure -> exit through the green door that the switch opened (usually right near the entrance lantern) -> fight boss -> go down to next level.

By the time you get to the second or third layer of a Chalice dungeon, you will often find orange doors off to the right or left in the transition hallways between lanterns or before bosses. Those are always Treasure Areas. They will always have a main treasure (which is often a rare material you will need to make the next Chalice dungeon in the above list) or, more rarely, weapons or shops you can buy root chalices.

Again, in my experience, it seems you HAVE to do the side treasure areas to get enough materials for generating future Chalice dungeons (unless you like grinding), so I don't really consider them optional.

As you go further down the Chalice list, enemies get more health and do more damage. Lots of unique bosses await you too, so it's not just all repeats of the main game (though there are some). Generally, I've found that stock grunts go up in health by about 1 Saw Cleaver +10 slash per Chalice level. So an enemy that takes 1 swipe to kill on Pthumeru 1, takes 2 on Pthumeru 2, 3 on Pthumeru or Loran 3, and so on.

Trust me, by the time you do two or three Chalice dungeons, you'll know the pattern like the back of your hand. Just make sure you do all the side treasure rooms (and find the treasure in the main section) and you'll have enough crafting stuff to keep making the next Dungeon.

Side Note - I beat the Loran Darkbeast finally. Turns out the trick was to focus on stun locking him by targeting individual legs. I got lucky on dodging his AoE attack and he didn't do it as many times. Feels good man.

Donos

Although the repetive nature of them is a bit a con, they are worth alone for the new bosses and to suffer through the defiled chalices which is "the true Bloodborne start here". Use a guide to get through them in the right order.

Have fun and don't give up :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, let's see...

To me, Nioh lacks the exploration, level design, enemy design and environmental storytelling of SoulsBorne games. I read Nioh was very SoulsBorne, and, honestly, I don't think it is. It's more DMC or Ninja Gaiden than SoulsBorne, which is fine, totally - it does its own thing, and if you go into it expecting its own thing, then you won't be disappointed. But my word of warning was meant as a "If you go into Nioh expecting SoulsBorne, you will be disappointed... because I did, and I was."

*shrugs* :)
I went into Nioh expecting something Soulsborne-like, and I was happy and satisfied too. So *shrugs* indeed.

zoodoo

I just finished forbidden woods, my least favorite area so far. I could not wait to get through it. Thank god the boss was not that hard.

I played a little bit after and got to byrgenwerth and right away another boss fight, why so close?

I died twice on rom and give up for tonight, too tired to concentrate. But from what I can see he does not seem too hard. Ignore the small spiders and beat the crap out of him. Am i right?

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished forbidden woods, my least favorite area so far. I could not wait to get through it. Thank god the boss was not that hard.

I played a little bit after and got to byrgenwerth and right away another boss fight, why so close?

I died twice on rom and give up for tonight, too tired to concentrate. But from what I can see he does not seem too hard. Ignore the small spiders and beat the crap out of him. Am i right?

That's one strategy but there's a chance that the small spiders will one shot you with their jump attack while you focus on Rom.

jviggy43

Ive never died to rom in like 10 plus playthroughs because I exclusively ignore the spiders and just go to town on rom. 3 hits and move so you don't get torpedoed but yeah that has worked like a charm for me.

Melchiah

Word of warning for people - I like Bloodborne, and hated Nioh. They're nothing alike, except in the most basic ways. Just saying. :)

Yeah. I tried the beta, and it just didn't appeal to me combat-wise and visually. Even Dark Souls 3 was a disappointment after Bloodborne.

Fuck Lady Maria, I just can't predict her bullshit attacks that reach me from miles away.
I get her down safely to about 15% of her health and then she just has no chill anymore and I just don't have any opportunities to heal and her hits cost me like half of my health.

Edit: Scrap that, equipped fire and blood def and she became a piece of cake. I was also still running around with 3 moon runes equipped because I thought the previous area was nice for farming on the side, only for me to lose 250k echos because I died for some reason when I rolled in the elevator and the little blood puddle where I can get my echos back was no where to be found-.-

zoodoo

I am totally confused.

i beat Rom then woke up in from of the big door with the creepy creature hanging. I moved forward and realized i am in unseen village. There are bell maiden spawning enemies.

I ran past the enemies and killed some of the bell maiden until i reached an area with a laser shooting monster (wtf?). i ran past it and ended where I woke up earlier after being snatched by the creature with the body bag except the lamp to bring me to hunters dream is broken.

I have already explored this area but this time the enemies are very different. 3 hunters are waiting for me down the stairs. I am confused, what am I supposed to do here? explore unseen village again? Am i closed to end game? Was I supposed to let the hanging creature grab me?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am totally confused.

i beat Rom then woke up in from of the big door with the creepy creature hanging. I moved forward and realized i am in unseen village. There are bell maiden spawning enemies.

I ran past the enemies and killed some of the bell maiden until i reached an area with a laser shooting monster (wtf?). i ran past it and ended where I woke up earlier after being snatched by the creature with the body bag except the lamp to bring me to hunters dream is broken.

I have already explored this area but this time the enemies are very different. 3 hunters are waiting for me down the stairs. I am confused, what am I supposed to do here? explore unseen village again? Am i closed to end game? Was I supposed to let the hanging creature grab me?
You are in the right place, story-wise. Remember the first time you went there when you were snatched, there was a big door that was locked? Well, it'll be open now. So keep exploring Unseen Village. Visiting it prior to that with the kidnapping was just an optional side-trip/secret.

zoodoo

You are in the right place, story-wise. Remember the first time you went there when you were snatched, there was a big door that was locked? Well, it'll be open now. So keep exploring Unseen Village. Visiting it prior to that with the kidnapping was just an optional side-trip/secret.

ok Thanks!

more questions:

Getting grabbed by the creature in front of the door, is that a optional quest? I have the tonsil stone.

If I kill all bell maidens, do they respawn if I go to the hunters dream and back? If that's the case, it is super annoying

Kinsei

Banned
ok Thanks!

more questions:

Getting grabbed by the creature in front of the door, is that a optional quest? I have the tonsil stone.

If I kill all bell maidens, do they respawn if I go to the hunters dream and back? If that's the case, it is super annoying

Yes, getting grabbed by that creature leads to an optional area. It's a pretty cool one too.

Bell maidens in the unseen village respawn. If they didn't then it would just encourage dull death runs to each of them like the toxic blow dart guys in Blighttown in Dark Souls.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ok Thanks!

more questions:

Yeah, if you have the Tonsil Stone, you can get grabbed by the creature in that large circular area before the entrance of Unseen Village and taken to a secret side-quest. Though, you can also access that area if you beat Unseen Village now, so it's just a way to get there early.

Note that the Tonsil Stone won't work with the other Amygdalas you see in Unseen Village! If they grab you, you just get frenzied and take tons of damage, and that's it. Also, the one in the Cathedral Ward courtyard at the beginning
can grab you if you have the DLC, if you picked up the Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter in the Hunter's Dream. It will take you to the DLC area.

As for the Bell Maidens, I believe they do respawn, sorry. The ones that don't are those who ring the Sinister Bells (in the "Nightmare" levels). You will see a message about sinister bells in those cases, but when you take them out they won't respawn.

Went back to BB after being burnt out by DS3 - I can't believe how much better this game feels than DS3. The combat is so significantly more fun here than the Dark Souls series. Even using a starting BB character in Central Yharnam with a Saw Cleaver/Hunter Pistol feels more powerful than a level 125 quality build in DS3.

Playing DS3 so much probably made me alot better in BB too once I re-adjusted to the aggressive combat - I was able to run through all main game bosses + all of the DLC ending at BL68 in a few hours, beating Ludwig and Orphan on first tries when they would take a ton of tries before.

Sarcasm

So I have both
nurses at the cathedral
, is this an issue?

Accidentally used one blood from Arriana which is the red chick on that sits up on the raised platform at the ward. Other chick is Adella which came from that sackman place before Parl.
Am I screwed?

myco666

So I have both
nurses at the cathedral
, is this an issue?

Accidentally used one blood from Arriana which is the red chick on that sits up on the raised platform at the ward. Other chick is Adella which came from that sackman place before Parl.
Am I screwed?

I don't think you are screwed yet.
Just take Adellas blood bunch of times and you should be fine. It is better anyways.

Hesemonni

Banned
Ok. After about a month hiatus with the game I continued and managed to beat Micolash. I had huge problems with his spell attack during his 2nd phase. Anyway, made it to Mergo's Wet Nurse...Fuck you From Software?

Ok. After about a month hiatus with the game I continued and managed to beat Micolash. I had huge problems with his spell attack during his 2nd phase. Anyway, made it to Mergo's Wet Nurse...Fuck you From Software?

Mergo is easy...just stay behind and once in a while hit her.

Wtf is the weapon Orphan of Kos is using? Is that a placenta?

But after the darkness attack thingy there's a second Nurse attacking me and things get hairy?

Just run around and dodge like crazy. Thats only a phase and the additional nurses disappear.

Edit: I just finished the DLC and the main game. What a great game. I'll start NG+ right away.
Although I think I would've had some problems without looking at the progression guide on the bloodborne wiki. And if I hadn't ran through the game so streamlined I guess I would've been pretty overleved. I already felt like I was overleveled.

Sarcasm

I don't think you are screwed yet.
Just take Adellas blood bunch of times and you should be fine. It is better anyways.

To be clear,
Adella the Nun is the one in the corner standing right? Her blood does HP & HP regen over 20 seconds.

Kinsei

Banned
Wtf is the weapon Orphan of Kos is using? Is that a placenta?

Just run around and dodge like crazy. Thats only a phase and the additional nurses disappear.

Edit: I just finished the DLC and the main game. What a great game. I'll start NG+ right away.
Although I think I would've had some problems without looking at the progression guide on the bloodborne wiki. And if I hadn't ran through the game so streamlined I guess I would've been pretty overleved. I already felt like I was overleveled.

Did you fight the secret boss in the DLC?
Laurence.

zoodoo

I just beat Amigdala in nightmare frontier, as boring as rom.

Am I supposed to find anything special in nightmare frontier? Besides lore, i dont see the point of this area.

Kinsei

Banned
I just beat Amigdala in nightmare frontier, as boring as rom.

Am I supposed to find anything special in nightmare frontier? Besides lore, i dont see the point of this area.

The chalice you got from Amygdala contains an awesome weapon you can't get anywhere else.

zoodoo

The chalice you got from Amygdala contains an awesome weapon you can't get anywhere else.

Oh thanks!

Also while exploring the acid lake, i stumbled upon a frenzy creature guarding a loot. I rolled and got the loot then died right after. I did not have time to read the description of what I got and cant figure out what it is. Any idea?

Edit: got it, messengers gift. Done with nightmare frontier. Im never gonna come back here anymore.

The God

Ludwig
might've been the toughest boss for me so far. Even more than Blood Starved Beast. Holy Moonlight Sword is amazing.

Sarcasm

I got back to where I was before save corruption. Staring (facing) at
Vicar

Should I kill him?

Or go left into some forest?

Or right down to a well?

Top Bottom