• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Got a new toy at work today. First time using a WP7 device, but so far it is really nice....

2V6cC.jpg

Megaton

Sordid

Install any new apps recently?

When I installed the Skype beta, my battery literally died in 3 hours without using the phone. I uninstalled it, charged the phone, and it went back to lasting about 2 days with pretty significant use.

I had the Skype app installed, I've deleted it now so here's hoping! Cheers :)

For the deleted bookmarks, make sure you dont have a 3rd party app (maybe a browser app) that's causing issues. For the battery, my old Samsung phone would randomly report erroneous battery percentages, so you can try a reboot. Another issue was that the power port was poorly designed, and although it initially made contact, it would then disconnect by the faintest touch or movement, so you can check the phone after a bit of plugging in to ensure that the battery indicator at the top is flashing that you are charging.

I've checked through my apps but I can't see anything that might interfere, I don't have any third party browsers or anything like that. I've noticed the power connection can be iffy but both times the phone said it was still charging in the morning :/

hwalker84

HA, I'm probably the wrong person to ask that. I'm currently an Android user, with a Galaxy Nexus and a Galaxy Note as my primary two devices. Compared to those, it feels fine. It is almost exactly the same size as the Galaxy SII Skyrocket that I use as my work phone, but is a bit heavier. It isn't bulky heavy, it actually feels really solid and nice in the hand. Overall, I'd say it's just a nice sized, solid feeling handset.

I'm hearing first week-ish in April (9th, maybe?) for release. I believe we are getting a white and the cyan (maybe black too?). It has 7.5 on it (7.10.8112.7).

Damn you lucky son of a gun. Figures someone would finally get their hands on it and doesn't know much about the platform :(

Send it to me and I'll give detailed impressions vs's the HTC Titan and Mango 7720 vs Tango 8112

derFeef

Damn you lucky son of a gun. Figures someone would finally get their hands on it and doesn't know much about the platform :(

Send it to me and I'll give detailed impressions vs's the HTC Titan and Mango 7720 vs Tango 8112

I like it when people who do not know the platform are getting the chance to try it out. Gives honest opinions.

Circle T

So, I was a little premature with my claiming of the 900. We got an email later saying that these are specifically for the managers at the store where I work. So, I'm not using it any more. I still have access to them, if anyone has questions, but I'm just not going to be personally using it.

Side note while I'm thinking of it. The 900 takes a Micro SIM. I haven't really been following this phone closely, so I don't know if that was already known. It was a surprise to me when I opened the box.

hwalker84

So, I was a little premature with my claiming of the 900. We got an email later saying that these are specifically for the managers at the store where I work. So, I'm not using it any more. I still have access to them, if anyone has questions, but I'm just not going to be personally using it.

Side note while I'm thinking of it. The 900 takes a Micro SIM. I haven't really been following this phone closely, so I don't know if that was already known. It was a surprise to me when I opened the box.

That was unknown to me.

please confirm this BIGGIE FOR US.

Visual Voicemail? Please test this.

Is anyone else having Zune Pass issues? I have songs downloaded to my phone but I keep getting freezing and stuttering. Sometimes it will buffer for like 20 seconds in the middle of a song and then like 4 times today it's frozen when switching songs. It actually froze the whole phone and I had to pull the battery. I assume it's a Zune Pass issue (possibly checking license?) because songs that I have on my phone that aren't from Zune have no issues.

hwalker84

Is anyone else having Zune Pass issues? I have songs downloaded to my phone but I keep getting freezing and stuttering. Sometimes it will buffer for like 20 seconds in the middle of a song and then like 4 times today it's frozen when switching songs. It actually froze the whole phone and I had to pull the battery. I assume it's a Zune Pass issue (possibly checking license?) because songs that I have on my phone that aren't from Zune have no issues.

HTC?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

doesn't the 800 also take micro SIM? i thought the 900 also toke micro SIM =/

Circle T

That was unknown to me.

please confirm this BIGGIE FOR US.

Visual Voicemail? Please test this.

Just got it fired up, with a SIM and all. There is no Visual VM on the phone.

doesn't the 800 also take micro SIM? i thought the 900 also toke micro SIM =/

Yea, I don't know anything about the 800. Other than the iPhone, we only have 1 other device that uses Micro, so it was just unusual to see.

Troll

Banned
Hey Circle T, do you mind posting some samples of pictures from the Camera? I think there are a few of us that are curious to see if Nokia has fixed the issues from the 800.

Circle T

Hey Circle T, do you mind posting some samples of pictures from the Camera? I think there are a few of us that are curious to see if Nokia has fixed the issues from the 800.

Sure, here are a few....

http://i.imgur.com/GQYxY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HKozC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O2JcH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P96LA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ShN0m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EP7WN.jpg

I'm about to leave work in a few, so any more questions I'll have to answer tomorrow when I get back here, since I'm not using the phone personally now.

Troll

Banned

dpatel304

How does the HTC surround hold up today?

I'm dying to upgrade from my Blackberry Bold and I've just recently decided on some sort of Windows Phone. Can't renew contract until the end of the year, so I'm stuck buying an unlocked phone or waiting it out. I definitely don't want to drop $300+ for an unlocked phone, even though I really want the Lumia 900 (or even the 800 would be fine).

I'm thinking this will be good enough to hold me off until the end of the year. Then when I renew, I can do a proper upgrade and get a Windows 8 Phone, renew my contract and get a decent price. Even if the HTC surround is an old phone, it'll be an upgrade from my Blackberry, which, IMO, is just a waste of a data plan since the web browser isn't good enough for my to want to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502082
Coupon code: EMCNGJD79 makes the phone $170. Not bad at all. Although I've seen a few first generation Windows Phones on sale lately. Wonder if they'll all be like this if I keep a look out.

Firestorm

I'd personally look for a used Samsung Focus somewhere. They're pretty cheap and probably the best first gen Windows Phone. Also unless you're on the 9900, you can upgrade your BlackBerry Bold to OS6 to make the browser usable.

AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 set for April 9th release with demo units in stores now

We first told you that AT&T was planning on an April 8th (online) and 9th (stores) release for the Lumia 900 and sure enough, it's accurate. Since that report we've had numerous tips from store employees on the matter all stating the same dates, so we think it's safe to call it now.

Reader David just returned from an AT&T store where an employee had both phones (black and cyan, see above) to toy with. Here are his thoughts:

"Also, the matte finish on the back cover makes the phone feel SUPER nice in hand and you only notice the 4.3" screen with one-handed use. Also, with its' rectangular corners and flat front/back panels, the pocket is a really nice place for it to go about the day with you. Nokia did a really awesome job with this one and I can't wait for April 9 to get here!"

Indeed. From our hands on experience (see here), the Lumia 900 is set to impress and with the April 9th launch date confirmed, it should be an exciting Easter for many of you, so long as you start saving your pennies now.

The Nokia Lumia 900 features a 4.3" AMOLED screen, 1.4GHz CPU, 1830mAh battery (non-replacable), 16GB of storage, 8MP rear and 1.3MP front cameras with 4G LTE support. It is expected to sell for $99 on contract. Online orders should start Sunday, April 8th with in-store availability April 9th. No word on full-price yet.

Troll

Banned
How does the HTC surround hold up today?

I'm dying to upgrade from my Blackberry Bold and I've just recently decided on some sort of Windows Phone. Can't renew contract until the end of the year, so I'm stuck buying an unlocked phone or waiting it out. I definitely don't want to drop $300+ for an unlocked phone, even though I really want the Lumia 900 (or even the 800 would be fine).

I'm thinking this will be good enough to hold me off until the end of the year. Then when I renew, I can do a proper upgrade and get a Windows 8 Phone, renew my contract and get a decent price. Even if the HTC surround is an old phone, it'll be an upgrade from my Blackberry, which, IMO, is just a waste of a data plan since the web browser isn't good enough for my to want to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875502082
Coupon code: EMCNGJD79 makes the phone $170. Not bad at all. Although I've seen a few first generation Windows Phones on sale lately. Wonder if they'll all be like this if I keep a look out.

170 is actually not bad at all for that phone off contract. It's an average phone, but solid. Totally worth the price.

Circle T

Also is VVM active on that line? Just covering all bases before I rage.

It's a fully unlimited company use line, so yes, it has everything. I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find anything.

Those pics look pretty good. Thanks.

What phone are you usingas your main?

Yea, the camera seems very nice. The I can try and get some better/outdoor pics tomorrow if you want.

My two personal devices are a Galaxy Nexus (VZW LTE) and an international/unlocked Galaxy Note (AT&T HSPA+), and my work phone (seen in those pics) is a Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Of those, my go-to is the Nexus.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
so i am just making sure. ATT is gonna launch white, blue, and black. all at once right? cuz it doesn't show white on their site. also white is gonna be released internationally on the same day right?

Troll

Banned
so i am just making sure. ATT is gonna launch white, blue, and black. all at once right? cuz it doesn't show white on their site. also white is gonna be released internationally on the same day right?

I am pretty sure it will just be black and cyan at launch. Sorry man.

The coming soon page for the Lumia 900 is up!! Soon my friends.. soon.

Circle T

I'll research that tomorrow, but I was under the impression that white WAS going to be available at launch. One of the reps showed me the "Color Dot Kit" today, that goes on the display info card to show available colors, and white was shown. We were laughing about it, because the box said "Lumia 9000" on it :p

Troll

Banned
When I look at my upgrade eligibility (day one focus) it says:

As a valued AT&T customer, you're eligible for a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year service commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on an iPhone upgrade on 4/08/2012.

Does that mean that my full upgrade for all phones starts on 04/08? If so that makes the 04/09 launch of the Lumia make sense.

hwalker84

Visual Voice Mail is something that has to be enabled on AT&T's back end, there isn't any reason we should have expected it to come with this phone unfortunately.

There most certainly is reason considering all LTE phone to date have supported this feature. The feature could've certainly been enabled for this release and all LTE windows phones after it.

Circle T

When I look at my upgrade eligibility (day one focus) it says:

As a valued AT&T customer, you're eligible for a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year service commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on an iPhone upgrade on 4/08/2012.

Does that mean that my full upgrade for all phones starts on 04/08? If so that makes the 04/09 launch of the Lumia make sense.

Dial *639# and see what it says in the text it will send you. If you last upgraded in late 2010 (Focus launch) then you are likely coming up on your full upgrade eligibility date. Either way, though, if you are that close, you should have very little problem getting a rep to approve you for that.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'll research that tomorrow, but I was under the impression that white WAS going to be available at launch. One of the reps showed me the "Color Dot Kit" today, that goes on the display info card to show available colors, and white was shown. We were laughing about it, because the box said "Lumia 9000" on it :p
thanks =D

also i don't get the joke. =/

The coming soon page for the Lumia 900 is up!! Soon my friends.. soon.
=( well. we'll see tomorrow.

dpatel304

I bit the bullet and bought the HTC surround for $170. Been eager to give Windows Phone a real try, and I think this would be a great way. Once I'm able to renew my contract I can buy a proper Windows 8 phone. I'll have enough hands on experience with Windows Phone that I will know for sure if that's the next phone I want.

From what I've read, pretty sure I'll be a Windows guy from here on out. I used to be all about Android, but now that Windows is getting some good app support, I don't see a reason to switch back to Android.

By the way, I'm switching from a Blackberry Bold. I love the keyboard on it, but the OS just feels dated. Even though the HTC surround is an old phone, it'll still feel like a nice upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom