• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's watch/rewatch Game Of Thrones together from the start

Altazor

It's more about what Cersei is willing to do to consolidate her family's power - basically a running theme through the series. That, and the fact that she believes in ruling through fear.

It's more about what Cersei is willing to do to consolidate her family's power - basically a running theme through the series. That, and the fact that she believes in ruling through fear.
Makes sense. I feel like I'm running out of stuff to be shocked by pretty quickly with this show though!

Season 2 Episode 2

Pyke looks an awful lot like a place I've been to in Northern Ireland. I know a lot of the show is filmed there but that looked really familiar. I'll have to look it up once the season is over.

What is going on with Yara Greyjoy that she knowingly let her brother creep all over her without telling him? That scene was really weird. I mean its one thing if they reveal it years later or something but its an immediate reveal.

Could Samwell actually do something heroic or will he just fuck it up like the oaf he is portrayed to be?

If only we would be so lucky for Daenerys to die of starvation/thirst.

I'm not sure when I first noticed but its a cool little detail in the opening credits where they put the appropriate sigil next to the actors name.

Pachimari

I started up my own LTTP thread last year, but I might as well just participate in here instead since all of you are doing a rewatch. That said, I've only seen up until halfway of Season 2 and is thinking of just starting up S02E01 to get back into it. I hear that Season 8 of 6 episodes next year is the last season though, so might as well also just wait for the whole thing to be over.

[edit]

Oh no, now I'm worried. Because in order to enjoy the show, I would read up on an episode, check out the map and pick up on little details on the official HBO Viewer's Guide but now it says that the page is not available anymore? So there's literally no information there. Has they come out and said if they'll fix this problem?

I started up my own LTTP thread last year, but I might as well just participate in here instead since all of you are doing a rewatch. That said, I've only seen up until halfway of Season 2 and is thinking of just starting up S02E01 to get back into it. I hear that Season 8 of 6 episodes next year is the last season though, so might as well also just wait for the whole thing to be over.

[edit]

Oh no, now I'm worried. Because in order to enjoy the show, I would read up on an episode, check out the map and pick up on little details on the official HBO Viewer's Guide but now it says that the page is not available anymore? So there's literally no information there. Has they come out and said if they'll fix this problem?

What page are you having the issue on?

Pachimari

What page are you having the issue on?
Season 2 Episode 1 or just any episode page really.

In Chrome it says "Conflicting..." -something cause I can't read it, and in Edge you can't scroll.

You also get this message:
"Seven hells! Whispers of Westeros is unavailable to visitors outside the United States. For the latest Game of Thrones updates, please visit MakingGameofThrones.com."

[edit] Oh the fuck, so they've made it unavailable outside the US? That's so unfair!

Season 2 Episode 1 or just any episode page really.

In Chrome it says "Conflicting..." -something cause I can't read it, and in Edge you can't scroll.

You also get this message:

[edit] Oh the fuck, so they've made it unavailable outside the US? That's so unfair!
Ah that sucks, you could always use VPN :/

Season 2 Episode 3

The scenes beyond the wall seem to be moving slower than I expected. Not very tense yet.

Man what a beast Gwendoline Christie is. In a good way. Makes Captain Phasma all that much more disappointing.

So Bran has some sort of magical powers with animals or seeing the future? Hard to get my head wrapped around what he is doing.

I like the idea of Tyrion feeding the separate plans to the Small Council and see who betrays him. Not surprised its Pycelle, the beard is terrible.

Too bad Arya loses Needle. I liked that sword a lot. The prisoner who talks weird seems ominous, I wonder if there is more to him or just a throw away character.

Unless I fell asleep there was no Daenerys in this one. Feels good.

Pachimari

Ah that sucks, you could always use VPN :/
Hmm, I'm not sure, but I might have used a vpn back then too, just that I forgot about it. Seems like I have to pay up for a vpn subscription just so I can read up on these episodes on the viewer guide. I guess it'll be worth it so I'll have an easier time going through the seasons.

Season 2 Episode 4

The prostitute beating scene was pretty brutal. Joffrey is pretty twisted.

Arya and Tywin together? This has potential

So Daenerys finally made it somewhere, hopefully Qarth is more interesting than the previous stops she has made.

The um.. shadow baby was certainly an interesting choice.

Travo

I'm loving these impressions of first time viewers. I can't wait to read season three impressions. Book three is the shit.

Aurongel

It's honestly very entertaining reading others catching up on the show for the first time. It makes me retroactively appreciate some of the smaller overlooked scenes more.

I think I'll jump in with you guys next week (after I finally finish Westworld).

I had just finished reading all the books when last season started and I bailed, really frustrated that the show was going to finish before the books, and also with some of the departures from the books that the show was making. I think enough time has passed now, and I have come to terms with the reality of the books' releases, that I'm willing to give the show a chance. So I plan on jumping back in, good thread idea!

Just started watching this recently. I'd read the first book back in the day but never ended up sticking with the series even though I enjoyed it. My girlfriend is a huge fan of the show, so I'm in the interesting position of both watching newer episodes with her as they air (and having knowledge of future key plot points) while also starting from the very beginning.

Currently on Season 1 Episode 9, so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Season 2 Episode 5

Ok so the shadow baby is like a one time insta kill for your enemy. Makes sense...

Stannis' army is on beast mode now with the combination of all the forces.

I'm tempted to think this wildfire stuff is going to make it an easy with for the Lannisters but thats a little too obvious. The inevitable battle should be fun.

I don't know if I've said it before but the winter wasteland/beyond the wall wide shots are really beautiful.

Lots of nothing with Daenerys, at least the change of scenery is nice.

The back and forth between Tywin and Arya is fun to watch. Hard to tell if Tywin is buying her lies.

The blood debt idea with Jaqen is cool. Not sure why Arya doesn't just say kill the main guys but I guess she's not thinking big picture. I wonder who she'll use the rest on.

Altazor

oh man, you're in
Qarth

prepare for a lot of
I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN QARTH I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN QARTH I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN QARTH

Ros8105

Damn, looks like you are a big fan of Daenerys. You are yelling "SLAY QUEEN" whenever she's on screen, right?

Damn, looks like you are a big fan of Daenerys. You are yelling "SLAY QUEEN" whenever she's on screen, right?

Yeah something like that lol

oh man, you're in
Qarth

prepare for a lot of
I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN QARTH I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN QARTH I AM THE RICHEST MAN IN QARTH

I obviously haven't read the book but it seems like an awful lot of effort for a ton of throwaway characters

Season 2 Episode 6

Theon taking Winterfell is a really dumb move on his part. There is no way this plays out well for him.

So Talisa is a real character? I almost forgot about her, wasn't expecting her to amount to anything.

Not sure what the motivation for the Hound to prevent Sansa's rape is. He seems like an asshole who doesn't care about anyone.

Liked the scene with Arya, Tywin, and Littlefinger. Tense and you leave not know if he really spotted her or not.

Jaqen killing the second guy was a classic campy gag. I was kind of expecting it TBH.

Love that accent on Ygritte. Seems like a real bad ass woman. Nothing like a real red head!

Daenerys gets her dragons stolen SMH. You might want to keep an eye on those.

Altazor

Season 2 Episode 6

Theon taking Winterfell is a really dumb move on his part. There is no way this plays out well for him.

So Talisa is a real character? I almost forgot about her, wasn't expecting her to amount to anything.

Not sure what the motivation for the Hound to prevent Sansa's rape is. He seems like an asshole who doesn't care about anyone.

1- Was gonna say something about it but it could've been somewhat spoilerish, so I'll just say: "wait and see".

2- Yeah, she is.. Also, see above.

3- He cares for her, in his own way. Yet again, see point number 1 ;)
Daenerys gets her dragons stolen SMH. You might want to keep an eye on those.

oh, but it gave us
WHEEEEEERE AAAAARE MY DRAAAAGONS

Season 2 Episode 7

Interesting moment between Tyrion and Cersei where he tries to comfort her telling her that her younger kids are normal. Didn't expect that kind of compassion for her existed. Or maybe its just more political maneuvering.

I was almost thinking Jamie Lannister had changed/been broken by his imprisonment but nope.

Jon Snow seemed pretty interested in Ygritte's offer at the end there. Potential romance brewing?

So the warlock just takes out 11(?) of the 13 in Qarth with ease. Why didn't this happen a long time ago if it was that easy for him? Not sure what his end game is telling Daenerys he stole them and exactly where they are.

I don't believe that Theon killed the Stark boys. Doesn't make any sense based on the way things are portrayed.

Rookhelm

fascinating reading your impressions. You're rather observant ;)

Remember what you have typed here and go back to it occasionally.

Stwrtd a while ago. Just finished Garden of Bones. Wow. Just seeing where everyone starts and where they are in season 7. Damn. Talk about Arcs.

Also at this point I can just rename the show.

I See Dead People.

It's so strange, I loved the first 3 seasons and couldn't wait for the 4th, but in the meantime I just completely lost all interest in the show and never watched another episode again. Is it worth getting back into at all or is it just more of the same?

I think the show has dipped as soon as
Tyrion kill his old man and left on the boat.

The Daenerys side of the story is incredibly boring. The Lannister side of the story is slightly boring. The Arya stark side of the story is fucking sleep inducing. The Jon Snow side is OK I guess.

It lost the whole 'anyone can cop it' schtick which kept me interested but not having read the books, I'm not sure what to expect going forward either.

Season 2 Episode 8

Lord of Bones is a pretty sweet name. I wonder if Jon Snow will be able to go through what it takes to be a spy in the wildling ranks.

So all Daenerys does this episode is walk closer to where her dragons are held. The book can't be this absurd with how slow her story moves.

Looks like the Stark boys are alive. That's good as killing that many Starks this early would leave the cupboard a little bare.

Arya sure tricked Jaqen. 3 lives for what 20 now?

Did Tyrion give Ros that necklace? I remember him being in the brothel in Winterfell but I don't recall that happening.

I'm not sure I get what Catelyn's motivation for secretly sending Brienne off with Jamie back to King's Landing is? Trying to end the war without as much bloodshed? Hoping to calm things within the camp?

Robb and Talisa are gonna get it on.

Looks like the battle at King's Landing is imminent. I don't see any way Stannis is going to win this even though he appears to have overwhelming numbers.

Altazor

Season 2 Episode 8

So all Daenerys does this episode is walk closer to where her dragons are held. The book can't be this absurd with how slow her story moves.

her storyline in A Clash of Kings is boring until the last couple of (her) chapters, in which something really cool happens - then again, she has fewer chapters in ACoK compared to AGoT. So the show kinda invented stuff to happen to her as "filler" while ignoring/changing things that did happen to her in the books. It's a bit strange.

EDIT: Oh, and S02E09 is awesome. Enjoy it!

Lulubop

I'm blowing through this show much faster, already on 3-7.

I won't say much, but I will say that the more fragmented focus starting in s2 really effects the pacing and that's my biggest take away. S1 was perfect aside from the Dany stuff.

Imo of course

Pachimari

Decided to just start over with Season 2, so I've just watched through episode 1 and I enjoyed it very much. It's the first time I do it without using the Viewer's Guide and interactive map on HBO's website though so I'm afraid if I'll get lost somewhere along the trip. Is there a website where I can look up the map, houses and people with great detail?

Altazor

Decided to just start over with Season 2, so I've just watched through episode 1 and I enjoyed it very much. It's the first time I do it without using the Viewer's Guide and interactive map on HBO's website though so I'm afraid if I'll get lost somewhere along the trip. Is there a website where I can look up the map, houses and people with great detail?

Tower of the Hand is a nice resource. It has a "scope" selector that means the actual content shown changes if you've read some/all/none of the books and/or seen the show until X season. Go to the right-hand menu and under the "Game of Thrones" header select episode guide or characters to explore more. And use that "scope" selector - it will shield you from events/characters that you haven't seen yet.

Altazor

I'd say you should read them after, and if you're confused about who's who or what/where a certain place is.

Also, this map is useful. I used it when reading the books, and considering it shows the boundaries at the start of ASOIAF, you don't have to worry about spoilers.

Pachimari

Tower of the Hand is a nice resource. It has a "scope" selector that means the actual content shown changes if you've read some/all/none of the books and/or seen the show until X season. Go to the right-hand menu and under the "Game of Thrones" header select episode guide or characters to explore more. And use that "scope" selector - it will shield you from events/characters that you haven't seen yet.

Thanks, I'm gonna check it out.

I got one question about Season 2 Episode 1 where by the end King Joffrey Baratheon
sends the city watch to slaughter people in Kings Landing (?) and Littlefinger's brothel, but why does he do it? Does he want to find Gendry because he is Robert's bastard son? So they want him dead so that the secret about Cersei and Jaime won't get out
?

Just finished "The Night Lands."

I'd say you should read them after, and if you're confused about who's who or what/where a certain place is.

Also, this map is useful. I used it when reading the books, and considering it shows the boundaries at the start of ASOIAF, you don't have to worry about spoilers.

This map looks so different from the interactive map on the viewer guide? With the whole West and East missing on this one.

Does this HBO Viewer Guide not work for anyone else? I can load the page, but I cannot scroll. It's just stuck.

Ah ok, that makes sense.
Thanks, I'm gonna check it out.

I got one question about Season 2 Episode 1 where by the end King Joffrey Baratheon
sends the city watch to slaughter people in Kings Landing (?) and Littlefinger's brothel, but why does he do it? Does he want to find Gendry because he is Robert's bastard son? So they want him dead so that the secret about Cersei and Jaime won't get out
?

Just finished "The Night Lands."
It's to kill all others with any claim to the throne. The secret is already out due to Ned Starks letter. It's just a matter if people want to believe it or not.

Altazor

This map looks so different from the interactive map on the viewer guide? With the whole West and East missing on this one.

Does this HBO Viewer Guide not work for anyone else? I can load the page, but I cannot scroll. It's just stuck.

Yeah the map I linked is just Westeros. This Essos map can come in handy, though the small font there doesn't help - but the names of the big subdivisions are clear enough.

EDIT: And no, HBO's viewer guide isn't working for me either, as I am outside the US.

Lulubop

Late Season 3 spoilers:
Just finished the "Red Wedding" episode and I really wasn't ready. I remember it being a big talk when it had aired and I had always assumed it involved Joffrey and his wedding, so I like really wasn't ready.

Man, the Starks family seems like such jobbers. I hope that changes.

I guess I'll give my thoughts for S2/3 after I'm done with this episode.

Altazor

Late Season 3 spoilers:
Just finished the "Red Wedding" episode and I really wasn't ready. I remember it being a big talk when it had aired and I had always assumed it involved Joffrey and his wedding, so I like really wasn't ready.

Man, the Starks family seems like such jobbers. I hope that changes.
I guess I'll give my thoughts for S2/3 after I'm done with this episode.

you gotta watch
the reaction videos. Oh man, that was glorious: those who had read the books (hence, knew what was coming) secretly recording show-only viewers when that happened. So good.

On the other hand (LATE S3 BIG SPOILERS)
Talisa getting stabbed in her belly was incredibly fucked up. I mean, in the book there's a girl that gets axe'd in the stomach at that part but... fuck, it's one thing to read about and another thing is to actually watch it

The show pulled that moment off, though.

EDIT: decided to add some spoiler tags because some of my comments could easily betray which scene I was referring to. Just being cautious.

jfkgoblue

you gotta watch
the reaction videos. Oh man, that was glorious: those who had read the books (hence, knew what was coming) secretly recording show-only viewers when that happened. So good.

On the other hand (LATE S3 BIG SPOILERS)
Talisa getting stabbed in her belly was incredibly fucked up. I mean, in the book there's a girl that gets axe'd in the stomach at that part but... fuck, it's one thing to read about and another thing is to actually watch it

The show pulled that moment off, though.

EDIT: decided to add some spoiler tags because some of my comments could easily betray which scene I was referring to. Just being cautious.

In the books, Jeyne wasn't even there, so no violent pregnant woman murder

Altazor

In the books, Jeyne wasn't even there, so no violent pregnant woman murder

yeah, IIRC (BOOKS SPOILERS)
she's still alive by the time A Dance With Dragons ends
isn't she? And I don't think
Jeyne was ever pregnant
, unless I'm totally misremembering.

jfkgoblue

yeah, IIRC (BOOKS SPOILERS)
she's still alive by the time A Dance With Dragons ends
isn't she? And I don't think
Jeyne was ever pregnant
, unless I'm totally misremembering.

No, she never got pregnant as her mother was a Lannister spy and was sneaking moon tea into her drinks to prevent it. Also yeah, she just went home after the Red Wedding.

NandoGip

3 episodes in. Its funny how the big complaint nowadays is about how fast things are moving yet these episodes have been zipping along.

Lulubop

3 episodes in. Its funny how the big complaint nowadays is about how fast things are moving yet these episodes have been zipping along.

Things get faster? That's great to here, that said I think S1 was perfectly paced and mentioned it before.

Edit: Ayra is the best and my favorite character, pretty much through the whole thing so far.

Top Bottom