• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your milkshake duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfbeast

Banned
"every woman in games'" = every woman in the games industry
"DM" = direct message, Twitter's version of PMs

oh boy, I feel so fucking stupid. for me DM stands for Dungeon Master, so in my head I was picturing some weird strip DnD game, I never knew existed.

My brother :/

He's a really smart guy, but one day I caught him with an InfoWars "9-11 was an inside job" sticker on his laptop and he was singing the praises of Alex Jones.

He's a huge Trump supporter.

Seventy70

H3H3 for me, they were the only group I've ever really cared about that truly soured me on them. Admittedly their case came mostly from ignorance rather than genuine hatred, but the quick succession of defending Pewdiepie, not saying anything about JonTron, and that blatantly false attack on the WSJ's reporters made it impossible for me to respect them anymore. Their downfall, where uninformed pseudo-political content became the norm rather than the exception in their work, has basically led me to stop watching all entertainment youtubers and focus on more academic/curated videos on the site.
I'm soured on them too. Especially since their whole YouTube channel was made from calling shitty people out. Once they gained some popularity they surrounded themselves with the shitty people. Now they're too big of cowards to call anyone out because "they're our friends"!!!

So disappointing. They have just buried their heads in the sand.

Lost a friend or two when they jumped to JonTron's defence. That was fun.

I remember thinking that Shadow Complex looked good until they wheeled out Orson Scott Card for the marketing. Fuck that game from there on out.

Didn't the Dilbert guy turn out to be an ass?

Lost a friend or two when they jumped to JonTron's defence. That was fun.

I remember thinking that Shadow Complex looked good until they wheeled out Orson Scott Card for the marketing. Fuck that game from there on out.

Didn't the Dilbert guy turn out to be an ass?

'Ass' is an understatement. Legit alt-right nutjob, practically makes Trump seem well-reasoned.

I don't think I have one. I've never been actually fussed by the personal beliefs or political advocacy of artists. I do however reserve the right to eye roll when some developer or celebrity goes on a political rant on twitter that basically amounts to whining that as a general rule, most people don't particularly care about the political beliefs of artists. They'll play a game or watch a film regardless of whether they agree with the author's beliefs or the message of the work. It's quite possible to enjoy Lord of the Rings regardless of whether you're a Republican or a Monarchist.

bKwGlGI.png

This was just silly. This kind of polarizing nonsense is of no practical use to anyone. This was a "Milkshake duck" moment for Trump supporters, I suppose. This developer actively hated them for their perfectly legitimate choice of failed businessman candidate.

Quite a few indie game developers in America are Planned Parenthood supporters, as are quite a few people in the film business. That's their business. It's their money, and they can do whatever they want with it. I think a vast majority of anti-abortion people wouldn't refuse to play <insert random game here> if they discovered that the lead developer was pro-abortion. It's really the vocal minority who get up in arms over the political allegiances or advocacy of artists.

I do understand people not being able to personally stomach an artist who advocates for something they find reprehensible, but the reality is that most people hold political stances someone on the other side of the fence finds reprehensible in some way.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The pro-abortion people is convinced that their position is the one rooted in facts and "human rights", and the anti-abortion side is convinced that their position is the one rooted in facts and "human rights". Each sees the other as trying to deny human beings their basic rights. And they're going to fight to preserve and advance human rights, as they understand them, until the cows come home.

The OP's example of the Last Night involved a debate around "modern feminism" and whether it's good or bad, or whether it has negative potential. As you might imagine, anti-abortion people do not see eye-to-eye with certain factions within feminism that are pro-abortion to the point of basing their identity around it and excluding anyone who isn't like-minded. If you say, "modern feminism" = "pro-abortion", then I'd say a lot of anti-abortion people would view "modern feminism" as "evil", or at least complicit in bad things. But this is very complicated. Because both sides see themselves as the good guys and both sides have pretty decent arguments at the end of the day.

This and later posts come off as extremely disingenuous. What's the "valid other side" and "pretty decent argument in its own right" of opposing Doug TenNapel's attacks on transgender people? If I don't want to support TenNapel's games because of his hateful views, am I just as bad. Is this another version of "pointing out racism makes you the true racist here"?

Awful and ridiculous attempts at false equivalence from your posts in this thread. It's telling that you claim to not actually be "fussed" by an artist's politics, but you seem pretty quick to target leftist views and how they may actually be "just as bad" as the right wing perspective that they supposedly erroneously vilify. You're right, though...if Trump and his administration actively cut down on protections for LGBT people, we should just remember, "Hey, they've got a pretty decent argument that LGBT folks are trash and shouldn't have equal rights under the law...I may disagree, but what can I do, if I disagree then I'm just engaging in polarizing nonsense! When game developers and artists agree with these political actions, I should just hang back and remember that complaining will make me part of an annoyingly vocal minority." Or, I'm Hispanic. My parents are immigrants to the U.S. When Trump went off on Mexicans, I really should have just thought, "Yes, this man thinks that I'm sub-human garbage, but hey, he's got his own reasons and I don't want to be just another uppity brown who gets up in arms for the completely reasonable political allegiances or advocacy of completely reasonable people. If game developers and artists and musicians are down with Trump's views, who am I to judge? Got to play those cool games and listen to their tunes."

If Shigeru Miyamoto posted something like, "Hey liberal cucks, if you don't want to MAGA and support God Emperor Trump, fuck off from playing Mario!", would you really roll your eyes just the same? Why are all your examples keyed to "telling it like it is" to leftists? Do you reserve any contempt for the other side of the coin? You seem like you want to present yourself as intellectually above it all and like you're just leaving some hard truth crumbs for the squabbling masses, but your actual views are pretty transparent and I don't think that anyone is fooled.

Terrible posts.

usp84

I mean.... I knew Knight of OHN is a pos, but what did threedog do and say? Fuck that hurts if OHN is just a shitty group. I always thought threedog was the more sane one out of the group.

Yeah the person on then first page never expanded on Threedog.

What did Knight do anyway?

You'd think cancer would have made Totalbiscuit a less hateful person. Nope!

It sucks because I watched the co-optional podcast animations once, then learned about Totalbiscuit and was just shook my head. Like, you got cancer, dude. At least make up for your horrible behavior, but no he got worse.

kiguel182

I remember when I thought Notch was a cool guy and was impressed how he built minecraft and supported indie companies and games.

Then he turned out to be an anti feminist, MRA guy who spends time insulting people on twitter.

Fuck Notch.

Zubz

Banned
People already covered 4 of mine (Nick Robinson, Jon "JonTron" Jafari, Billy Corgan, & Bill Cosby). Robinson's probably the worst for me because, on top of learning about his stuff just yesterday, Jafari's descent was incremental until he dived off the "literal Nazi" end, & the 2 Bills' popularity was all before my time. That said, Robinson's also the only one that I never bought any mercy from,

I'd also like to throw in Shmorky & Lowtax; I knew nothing about their histories from Something Awful so maybe this was obvious, but their Gaming Garbage stuff was a thing my friends & I watched together in undergrad & enjoyed quite a bit. Then they had this fight/break-up that we later learned involved Lowtax making rude comments about Shmorky's gender identity. It came out that Shmorky had also been grooming underage women on the Internet & was specifically targeting individuals with Mental Health diagnoses like Schizophrenia. Apparently, the dude who ran that old "Dirty Power" website (Which I loved as a 7 year old who stumbled across it on a Google search for Sonic but now realize was awful) also groomed underage women. So they're pretty awful, too.

As I said in the Robinson thread, I'm just waiting for everyone involved with video games without actually being involved in the dev process to be secretly awful except, ironically, Jim Sterling. And probably Continue?, Retsupurae, or Super Bunnyhop. I'm, like, 99% certain Dunkey's going to get in a controversy soon.

Doug Wildey, the guy who is responsible for Johnny Quest. I met him at a con. I had an earring in. He asked me if I was some sort of queer boy.

Oh, yikes... might have to add him to the list, too. Sorry to hear your example happened in-person. If he makes money off Future Quest, I'll probably drop it for this.

EDIT: D'oh! I have the attention span of a goldfish because he was having controversy before Robinson's sexual harassment came to light. Doug TenNapel being a bigot & Breitbart writer. That struck me hard.

John Lennon. How he died was tragic, but the guy was a real dirtbag even into his "peace and love" phase.

Ah yeah and Ian Watkins, on a universally different level. Lostpropets were listened to on repeat during my teenage years, "Last Summer" used to be one of my favourite songs of all time...

People already covered 4 of mine (Nick Robinson, Jon "JonTron" Jafari, Billy Corgan, & Bill Cosby). Robinson's probably the worst for me because, on top of learning about his stuff just yesterday, Jafari's descent was incremental until he dived off the "literal Nazi" end, & the 2 Bills' popularity was all before my time. That said, Robinson's also the only one that I never bought any mercy from,

I'd also like to throw in Shmorky & Lowtax; I knew nothing about their histories from Something Awful so maybe this was obvious, but their Gaming Garbage stuff was a thing my friends & I watched together in undergrad & enjoyed quite a bit. Then they had this fight/break-up that we later learned involved Lowtax making rude comments about Shmorky's gender identity. It came out that Shmorky had also been grooming underage women on the Internet & was specifically targeting individuals with Mental Health diagnoses like Schizophrenia. Apparently, the dude who ran that old "Dirty Power" website (Which I loved as a 7 year old who stumbled across it on a Google search for Sonic but now realize was awful) also groomed underage women. So they're pretty awful, too.

As I said in the Robinson thread, I'm just waiting for everyone involved with video games without actually being involved in the dev process to be secretly awful except, ironically, Jim Sterling. And probably Continue?, Retsupurae, or Super Bunnyhop. I'm, like, 99% certain Dunkey's going to get in a controversy soon.

Oh, yikes... might have to add him to the list, too. Sorry to hear your example happened in-person. If he makes money off Future Quest, I'll probably drop it for this.

EDIT: D'oh! I have the attention span of a goldfish because he was having controversy before Robinson's sexual harassment came to light. Doug TenNapel being a bigot & Breitbart writer. That struck me hard.

I don't think I could handle the Continue? team being shitty people.

low-G

Hero-worshipping is bad.

I grew up before YouTube, but even in the 80s and 90s everyone was worshipping someone. I never found anyone except maybe the fictional character Egon from Ghostbusters, or Leonardo for his discipline and calmness... Not sure why but pretty much always saw people as people, flawed. I've never had high expectations of anyone because everyone real is weak.

That's not to diminish how pitifully weak and broken someone like JonTron is nor to say I didn't like Bill Cosby, for example, but the revelations didn't really hit me hard.

I'd be sad to learn Jeff Gerstmann has done / is something horrible, or to learn that some like the RedLetterMedia or AVGN crew are on JonTron level or worse.

I don't think I could handle the Continue? team being shitty people.

That's what makes stuff like JonTron turning out bad so frustrating, and disconcerting. Dude had a pretty extensive network of friends and people he interacted with by proxy. How much those people knew, tolerated, if not agreed with his ideas remains an uncomfortable uncertainty.

I guess I'll go with two...

1. Notch. My god that man has talent. I've watched him build games from scratch on streams. It was inspiring. His space game (0xC, something along those lines) was immediately compelling, even though he struggled to decide on a structure for it. But now he just wants to shit all over Twitter, then roll around in it. He might've started out doing it just to screw with people, like he seems to imply, but if it was an act, he's long-since become the milkshake duck he was "pretending" to be.

2. Boogie. Francis mostly stopped being funny long ago, but I followed Boogie for his blogs, and believed him to be a good person. Even he was forward about his vlog persona being a bit crafted, but that makes plenty of sense. It's a reality of being a successful YouTuber. But man, that faux-Centrism bullshit started creeping in more and more, where "somewhere in the middle is a wonderful place to be," even though "the middle" is actually just a way to subtly enable the worst aspects. Then there was that Vidcon clash where it SOUNDED like he got blindsided, and there's a lot of different accounts, and the woman dealing with targeted harassment as it was. I thought maybe Boogie was still ok, but the follow-ups didn't exactly help his case.

Then he posts a video blatantly titled "Should I take the Red Pill?" That bullshit terminology is meant to appeal to a very specific audience. And in the video, he starts into his "both sides" bullshit, he says, "I swallowed that pill years ago, digested it, pooed it out, and learned some things from it." And he meant about life, not about the mysogynists that champion that term. I dropped my subscriptions to him. I think I checked back once later on just to be sure, but the video was still up, there was no apology. I know Boogie was concerned about holding onto his audience after YouTube revenue tanked, but even if he was faking it, which I honestly doubt he was, he still threw his hat in with an awful crowd. I hope his weight loss surgery goes well, and I hope he seriously rethinks his faux-"centrist" bullshit while he's recovering.

Good one. The sad irony is that he's now an actual case of edgy humour being used for irony purposes (primarily in his general aesthetic), vs all the milkshake ducks out there. So it's easy to lump him into the wrong crowd before realising he is basically against everything that crowd stands for.

Him moving away from the faux-dictator slant was a good idea, even though it did work for him pretty well.

...when/why did you ever like him?

For someone growing up in the 80s, not familiar with the housing lawsuits or his views in general, Trump was kind of a cartoon character, beyond even a pop-culture icon. Like Hulk Hogan, or Mr. T. He had a very recognizable look and mannerisms, was vaguely associated with a cartoonish concept of what "wealthy" was, and in general they did a good job scrubbing his shitty image. Even when they were lampooning him, it was in a goofier "oh he thinks about solid gold toilets" kind of thing. Bloom County had an extended plot about Trump having a brain transplant into Bill the Cat's body after an accident. It led to stuff like this:

sCdfRQO.jpg

A chunk of people grew up with "Trump the Rich Cartoon Character", not "Trump the Racist Pussy-Grabbing Traitor".

McBryBry

Colin Moriarty. I loved his video game intellect and hearing his opinion on stuff. Then he went full politics and it's hard to listen to because he's right wing nutty on some stuff.

Yeah the person on then first page never expanded on Threedog.

What did Knight do anyway?

I was watching one of his streams before the US Presidential elections and he was going on and on about conspiracy theories about how the world works in regards to politics and whatnot. The dude also says the N word and the F word alot.

It's kind of hard to enjoy their content now, especially Knights :(

snap

Banned
Knew a guy who was a decently good friend. He was kinda a dick to some people in retrospect, and pretty misogynistic, but outside of those quirks he seemed like a nice guy.

He ended up being a Trump supporter, which was weird, since he was a law major. Anytime I pointed out a flaw about Trump he deflected and refused to address it. After the election I pointed out how some of Trump's appointments were pay-for-play, and pointed out potential policy from Trump that would cause huge issue for the future and his response was mostly "who cares about the future the future will be fine."

Very much came across to me that he voted for Trump not because he thought Trump would help the nation but because he liked Trump. He also had a strong Polish heritage and went back there often, so have to wonder if the strongman aesthetic of Trump is what appealed to him.

Aurongel

To buck the trend of this thread a bit, I'd like to nominate someone from the left side of politics: Cenk from The Young Turks.

The sheer amount of conspiracy theories, denialism and straight up economic ignorance they spread in the name of liberalism is fucking nuts. They're barely journalists to begin with and they regularly discuss Trump's attacks on fake news with exactly zero self-awareness. They're the same breed of personality/pundit driven media bubbles that other anti-establishment whackos like Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones occupy.

Tim Commerford , the bassist of Rage Against the Machine comes to mind. I always took them as a whole being educated and sharing my moral values and even enjoyed and respected his segments in that Rush (band) documentary.

And then I learn he was a whacko, truther conspiracy theory idiot. I passed on listening to his side projects and have yet to pick up Prophets of Rage as a result.

To buck the trend of this thread a bit, I'd like to nominate someone from the left side of politics: Cenk from The Young Turks.

The sheer amount of conspiracy theories, denial isn't and straight up economic ignorance they spread in the name of liberalism is fucking nuts. They're barely journalists to begin with and they regularly discuss Trump's attacks on fake news with exactly zero self-awareness. They're the same breed of personality/pundit driven media bubbles that other anti-establishment whackos like Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones occupy.

Oh, this is actually a good one.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You seem like you want to present yourself as intellectually above it all and like you're just leaving some hard truth crumbs for the squabbling masses, but your actual views are pretty transparent and I don't think that anyone is fooled.

Terrible posts.

Lol. This is exactly how I felt about his posts.
He's got it all figured out.

Dr.Phibes

First thing I thought of. "Start Something" was in my permanent CD rotation for a long time, but now I can't listen to any of their stuff anymore. Dumbass stuff like being anti-vax is one thing, but actions like Watkins' are beyond the pale.

I saw them in concert way back in 04. After the show we saw the singer getting into his sleeper with two girls that looked way underaged. Back then we "just" thought that he was into teenage girls which was creepy enough on its own.

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
I lost a good friend after The Fappening. He thought it was totally fine that these celebs had their phones hacked and their private photos shared with the world. "maybe they shouldn't take nude photos if they don't want people to see it." he said. I Dropped that dumb motherfucker like a rock.

Famassu

Which side is which, though?

In the case of something like supporting Planned Parenthood, anti-abortion people see that as supporting an organization complicit in mass murder in the region of tens of millions, and being opposed to basic human rights. Pro-abortion people see things quite differently. They see supporting Planned Parenthood as supporting human rights. They see access to abortion as a fundamental human right. Both sides will argue the other side is "not morally equivaltent" until they're blue in the face

There are many other
less hot button issues where both sides see themselves as being completely justified, and on the side of goodness and decency. People like to think of themselves as the good guys.
Planned Parenthood supporting people don't force abortion on people who don't want it. Anti-abortion people can still NOT get abortions if they so please, while their policies endanger lives and cause much misery upon this world.

These two are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom