• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan to Debut Robot Priest for Funeral Service

TK6Ndhyl.png

SoftBank Group Corp.’s humanoid robot Pepper has taken on various roles since its mass-market debut in 2015.

The 1.2-meter tall robots with round white heads have been deployed to banks, sushi shops and nursing homes. Now, Pepper will don a Buddhist monk’s robe.

Kanagawa-based Nissei Eco Co. will offer Pepper — billed as the world’s first robot that can read emotions — to chant Buddhist sutras at funerals, providing a cheaper alternative to human priests.

More at: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...don-buddhist-robe-new-funereal-services-role/

Call up ModBot if old

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kanagawa-based Nissei Eco Co. will offer Pepper — billed as the world’s first robot that can read emotions — to chant Buddhist sutras at funerals, providing a cheaper alternative to human priests.

This sentence is real fucking dark.

Beartruck

It's a novel! From the link alone, I had hoped that someone was building a cold, immortal machine closer to God than a mortal could ever be.
Well, that is the plot of the book. I just wanted to highlight the ridiculous cover featuring two catholic robot priests.

You'd think religious services would be safe from automation.
Buddhist priests in Japan are notoriously expensive, even some negative associations of priests being sham characters, making money from death. There's been a turn away from traditional Buddhist funeral practices as a result (some opting for 'humanist' burials). I think, as one of many cheaper alternative options, using automation isn't surprising at all.

Top Bottom