• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Eh price pschology wise it's okay. I think if it were just a $1000 cheaper it would look more attractive on paper but I can't complain this ain't the 90's anymore.

Thoughts? I'm very interested in the weight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F3JwkK4Hrc

Also Brundle sounds so scripted.

JagFType_04.jpg

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
No Chevy already sells the new Caprice to the police so they wouldn't bother turning the Impala into a cop car. Also the cop market is amazingly diversified right now with the two Ford Interceptors, the Charger and Chevy has the tahoe and the Caprice.
Oops... forgot about the Caprice. Thanks.

I don't get the massive rotary hate. Did they kill your mother or something?
It's like a lot of car things... some people hear a story about a problem with a "friend of a friend's" car and 10 years later it morphs to a problem they had themselves. It's like a mental telephone game. There are people who are convinced they saw a Pinto explode and that they experienced first hand problems with the Audi ur-Quattro, despite the fact that they're under 35 years old. It's not like no Pinto ever exploded, no Audi Quattro ever had problems, or that no Wankel-equipped car ever had a catastrophic failure after moving 5 inches, but memory is a messy thing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The problem with that logic is that rotarys DO suck. They ARE unreliable. They ARE a pain in the ass to maintain. They ARE gutless. They ARE pointless. They ARE gas guzzling.

Wtf? How is talking about all of the bad shit they still are TODAY a game of telephone?

The problem with that logic is that rotarys DO suck. They ARE unreliable. They ARE a pain in the ass to maintain. They ARE gutless. They ARE pointless. They ARE gas guzzling.

Wtf? How is talking about all of the bad shit they still are TODAY a game of telephone?

Some people in this thread just don't want the truth to be said. What a bunch of wankels.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
In other words, the F-Type will be more of a focused sports car rather than a luxury GT. As for pricing, Hallmark stated that the F-Type will be priced below the XK but above competitors like the Porsche Boxster/Cayman, BMW Z4 and Mercedes-Benz SLK.

So, $60-70k, Audi S5 territory. Looks like I'm gonna hold off on buying a car until this baby is out, hopefully next summer!

coldfoot

Banned
All the people here hating on the lack of power from the FRS/BRZ:
Do you hate the E30 M3 as well? Because this car is the modern version of that car based on weight, power, and handling feel.

Circle T

Do you hate the E30 M3 as well? Because this car is the modern version of that car based on weight, power, and handling feel.

You know, that's probably what it is. There is something about the BRZ that I just love, and I couldn't ever put a finger on it. I used to own a '89 M3, and stupidly, I sold it back in college. I shed a tear every time I think about that thing. I can't wait to test drive a BRZ. I'm really hoping it can spark that fun factor like the old M did.

reilo

So, we are supposed to be happy about a car built today because it can compete with a car from 30 years ago? Sorry, but cars have evolved at a much more rapid pace than that.

Then again, even the E30 M3 broke 175 lb/ft torque....

Circle T

So, we are supposed to be happy about a car built today because it can compete with a car from 30 years ago? Sorry, but cars have evolved at a much more rapid pace than that.

Compete? No. Different cars for different eras. Provide as much driving enjoyment, though? Absolutely. My old E30 was the car that got me into enjoying cars, and driving just for the hell of it. A small, light, nimble car like the BRZ should fit all those wants, personally.

reilo

Compete? No. Different cars for different eras. Provide as much driving enjoyment, though? Absolutely. My old E30 was the car that got me into enjoying cars, and driving just for the hell of it. A small, light, nimble car like the BRZ should fit all those wants, personally.

Right, but at the price point they are offering it at? Heh. The market is different now. This just reeks of Toyota being Toyota, constantly playing it conservative this past decade.

Circle T

Right, but at the price point they are offering it at? Heh. The market is different now. This just reeks of Toyota being Toyota, constantly playing it conservative this past decade.

I'm going to wait to see and drive one in person, before I really comment on that. It seems, to me, to be a pretty nicely appointed car at ~$26k, though. People who've seen it in person (Alpha) have commented that the interior is quite nice inside.

By no means am I claiming this car to be the next coming of the messiah or anything. I just think, for me personally, at that price, it is pretty hard to beat for what I want in a car. Not certain until I drive one, but all signs point to high levels of personal enjoyment.

coldfoot

Banned
There are many car enthusiasts drooling over driving a clean E30 M3 TODAY. It's just very hard to find and parts are damn expensive. This car gives the same thrills, but you're driving a newer, safer, reliable car with a warranty.

Torque at the crank is meaningless without gear ratios. Given that this car has a 6-speed rather than a 5-speed in the E30 M3, it's most likely to be geared shorter, hence negating the torque advantage.

Speaking of E30's... looks like my TL will be sold in the next week... so I should be jumping into a clean E30, hopefully with an S50/S52 motor swap. Mmm... gobs of horsepower and torque in that lightweight E30 platform. Fuck yessss.

Circle T

Leaving work today, I had the opportunity to see one of my dream cars in person. It had bugs and some rock chips on the nose, which was nice to see. No garage queen here, this thing is driven!. As a huge 911 fan, this is just about as good as it gets, IMO....

911 GT3 RS 4.0

20120405_183410.jpg

20120405_183430.jpg

20120405_183440.jpg

IMG_20120405_183549.jpg

Let's play a game, Auto-GAF:

Out of these 3, which is the most horrific looking convertible? Is it...

Option A. 350z Convertible

xxz350.jpg

softtop_z.jpg

YUCK

Option B. PT Cruiser Convertible

Chrysler_PT_Cruiser_Convertible_rear_20080517.jpg

chryslerptcruiserconvertible.jpg

Option C. Nissan Murano Convertible

2011-nissan-murano-crosscabriolet-convertible-photo-374955-s-520x318.jpg

MuranoConv.jpg

Not gonna lie, I literally laughed out loud as I was looking for pictures of the Murano Convertible.

MisterNoisy

YUCK

Not gonna lie, I literally laughed out loud as I was looking for pictures of the Murano Convertible.

Frankly, they're all terrible looking, but the PT is by far the worst car of the bunch (and also the ugliest). The Murano at least benefits from the whole 'Carlos Ghosn is possibly the craziest man in charge of a car company' thing - nobody saw it coming and I'd imagine that even when you see one, it's pretty baffling. The 350Z and PT ragtops are pretty well-represented around here, and they're both invariably driven by really old people or aging soccer moms.

dubc35

Leaving work today, I had the opportunity to see one of my dream cars in person. It had bugs and some rock chips on the nose, which was nice to see. No garage queen here, this thing is driven!. As a huge 911 fan, this is just about as good as it gets, IMO....
Indeed, nice to see it driven. One of my brother's friends bought a RS recently and he said it's a garage queen. I guess if you have the money you can do whatever you want with it, but if I had the money I would buy a very nice car but drive the S out of it. What a Ferrari can't handle 200k miles? Challenge accepted!

Circle T

Indeed, nice to see it driven. One of my brother's friends bought a RS recently and he said it's a garage queen. I guess if you have the money you can do whatever you want with it, but if I had the money I would buy a very nice car but drive the S out of it. What a Ferrari can't handle 200k miles? Challenge accepted!

Yea, I was genuinely shocked when I saw it. The GT3 is pretty rare, and the RS is that extra bit more rare. The 4.0, though, is crazy rare. If I remember correctly, I think only like 125 came to the US. Omaha (where I live) is a pretty decent size city, but the weather (and subsequent rough roads) tend to deter much of the crazy supercar ownership. You might catch the occasional Ferrari or Aston, but that is is pretty much it beyond the average 911 or R8 caliber car. Really awesome to see this out. And yea, if I had the means to own something like that, mine would also be driven. EVERY. DAMN. DAY!!

Nope, it's an old L sedan. Actually a bit lighter than the coupe, but not as stiff. Just waiting on getting some quotes back (I guess it's race season now)

hey I have one of those, a 93, got it a couple months ago, fun cars to drive, not much power though, gunna cost about $6k for a powertrain swap from an 05 STi, with a DCCD and all

paskowitz

Viper update from the show floor:

I got to sit in this car for a good 10 minutes today. Lets just set the record straight. This car easily competes with an Audi R8 and even a Gallardo in terms of interior material quality. It is fantastic. ZR1, seems like something out of rental bin compared to this. The design is obviously not as subtle and classy as a R8 but its a Viper so anything else would feel wrong. The shifter is absolutely amazing. The best I have personally held, and if it gets better than this, IDK, I think I would die. It feels like a well maintained bolt action rifle. The oh shit bar in the interior is awesome. The seats are better than the R8s or the Gallardos. They are MP4-12c quality (btw I sat in all 3 of those for comparison).

Bottom line, this car is a step up. According to guy who builds the body panels who was at the show, they are targeting $100k. But this car could easily play with $200k exotics. It is that good. Also, it is indeed one of those cars that looks much better in person. I too thought it was a bit awkward when I first saw pictures. In person, it is like the gen 1 concept modernized. Pure awesome.

Other quick things.

BRZ/FRS shifter is great. Great seats. Great driving position. Lots of room in the engine bay. I have no idea what the fuck people where complaining about. Aftermarket should have a field day.

Fisker Karma back seats are useless.

ATS shifter is great. Car seems to be shaping up well as a 3 series fighter. This car is not going to loose without a fight.

Focus and Fiesta ST have shit interiors. Bad driving position. Bad wheel. Bad pedal placement. Horrible knobs and switches. Shifter is acceptable. Let down for me as a Ford fan.

Fiat 500 Abarth is crap on the inside IMO. Also the shifter gets my worst in a sports car award. The throw is like a country mile while the clutch pedal throw is very long.

MP4-12c is better inside than out... but it has the widest door sill I have ever seen. Worse than a lotus.

Lexus trying to be all sporty... still meh.

Lincoln should just freakin quit.

I will post more later.

dubc35

Yea, I was genuinely shocked when I saw it. The GT3 is pretty rare, and the RS is that extra bit more rare. The 4.0, though, is crazy rare. If I remember correctly, I think only like 125 came to the US. Omaha (where I live) is a pretty decent size city, but the weather (and subsequent rough roads) tend to deter much of the crazy supercar ownership. You might catch the occasional Ferrari or Aston, but that is is pretty much it beyond the average 911 or R8 caliber car. Really awesome to see this out. And yea, if I had the means to own something like that, mine would also be driven. EVERY. DAMN. DAY!!
Omaha would be a great place to own a supercar IMO. 15-20 min and you're out in the middle of nowhere. (I flew in and out of OMA 15-20 times ~2004-2006). e* and then drove to Norfolk area

hey I have one of those, a 93, got it a couple months ago, fun cars to drive, not much power though, gunna cost about $6k for a powertrain swap from an 05 STi, with a DCCD and all
Do it. '93-'01 swapped is where it is at. I have a '00 swapped daily driver 15' from me as I type this. rs25.com > nasioc

AcridMeat

Banned
Other quick things.

BRZ/FRS shifter is great. Great seats. Great driving position. Lots of room in the engine bay. I have no idea what the fuck people where complaining about. Aftermarket should have a field day.

Very happy to hear this. How was the clutch? I know someone here said it sucked but I'd like to hear more opinions.

Piggus

I can so fucking proudly say I was one of the very first people in the entire world...to sit in the 2013 SRT Viper, feel its clutch, and row its gears.

Oh. My. God.

DAMN YOU :(

The Viper has been my favorite car since about the 3rd grade. It's my dream to own one someday and it's basically one of my life goals to eventually make the money to get one. Wow that sounded redundant but seriously... I will fucking own a Viper someday.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
DAMN YOU :(

The Viper has been my favorite car since about the 3rd grade. It's my dream to own one someday and it's basically one of my life goals to eventually make the money to get one.

7050136987_48474b2ea2_z.jpg

Someday, man. Someday...

:)

paskowitz

Very happy to hear this. How was the clutch? I know someone here said it sucked but I'd like to hear more opinions.
Clutch throw is a little long but like I said the shifting action pretty good. It is not as good as an sti but it is its good for the price range.

Again, guys, THE VIPER IS AWESOME!

N-Bomb

Wrong on all counts. We've already been through most of this though, so I won't rehash it.

But in terms of maintenance - changing the oil regularly is a pain in the ass? What's your definition of ease of maintenance, taking your BMW to the dealer to have the cabin filter replaced?

N-Bomb

xxz350.jpg

softtop_z.jpg

YUCK

Chrysler_PT_Cruiser_Convertible_rear_20080517.jpg

chryslerptcruiserconvertible.jpg

2011-nissan-murano-crosscabriolet-convertible-photo-374955-s-520x318.jpg

MuranoConv.jpg

Seriously? We can only pick one? D:

The Z falls under 'unfortunate', the PT is a PT, and the Murano's roof actually reminds me of that pos on the Murcielago, haha.

In honesty though, the Z. The other two vehicles are pretty vomitous in hardtop form already, so it's really the Z that's the travesty from a design standpoint because the coupe isn't bad looking normally.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
They offer a hardtop cover for the Z now, thankfully.

Funny enough, a very good friend of mine from the Z community has a great looking convertible Z. But he hates how it looks with the top up - he himself acknowledged how bad it looks with that top.

911 GT3 RS 4.0

20120405_183410.jpg

20120405_183430.jpg

20120405_183440.jpg

IMG_20120405_183549.jpg

1) You have good taste.
2) You are correct. It is as good as it gets.
3) My dream car also.

reilo

I missed out on seeing a BRZ at Surgeline last night because I went working out instead. Oh well.

Surgeline dynoed it and got 164WHP/142TQ.

Pterion

Saw a new porsche 991 yesterday. Looks pretty cool, and I love those aston martin type rear lights.

In other news, one of my bosses has agreed to let me borrow his porsche 928 for a week. He was saying how he barely uses the thing, and that he would be looking to sell it at an outrageously low price to any friend. I asked him if I could drive it just for fun for a week, and he said yea, no prob. Should be fun! :)

Aguirre

I own one :) 80 series 4.2 diesel 1HZ. Non Turbo unfortunately. I just put a new exhaust on it a few weeks ago, 2.5" system, sounds delightful and fuel economy is better and powers up too!

I own two! Mines are both turbo's and both have manual transmissions. Regrettably, I don't look after my 80 series as well as she deserves. She's banged and beaten but still starts within half turn of the key. I rarely service her, never washed nor cleaned inside. I know I'll pay for it in the long run, but it's a terrible habit just to jump in and go.

URWYh.jpg

TylerD

I drove a 2007 black Corvette stripper model that a coworker bought from a truck driver in Texas for 28k that has 27,000 miles on the ODO and is bone stock. First time to drive a C6 and man was it easy to drive. Interior is functional but very boring. Clutch feel was great, took me 2 shifts to get used to it and it rode a lot nicer than I would have thought.

Omaha would be a great place to own a supercar IMO. 15-20 min and you're out in the middle of nowhere. (I flew in and out of OMA 15-20 times ~2004-2006). e* and then drove to Norfolk area

Do it. '93-'01 swapped is where it is at. I have a '00 swapped daily driver 15' from me as I type this. rs25.com > nasioc

what do you have in it? EJ257? EJ207?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom