• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

I'm getting the occasional crash, and it's always right in the middle of a race. Not that kind of crash olol. It dumps me back to the desktop saying 'iRacing.exe has stopped working'. It's totally irregular and I can't replicate the occurence because everything seems normal.... anyone else have this?

mclaren777

Prices valid for new members until July 31st...

• 1-month membership: $6 instead of $12
• 3-month membership: $15 instead of $30
• 12-month membership: $49.50 instead of $99
• 24-month membership: $89.50 instead of $179

amar212

6 months free membership for iRacing with Cadillac Cup Racing.

https://cadillaccupracing.com/

cadillaccuplogo.png

Registration required with usual 1$ confirmation fee.

New members only, once received code expires in January 2013.

I honestly don't know why these guys don't go free-to-play. I think they would do SO much better using their current content pricing, and having no sub fee.

Arucardo

I honestly don't know why these guys don't go free-to-play. I think they would do SO much better using their current content pricing, and having no sub fee.

I honestly don't mind and I think it would ruin the "rookie" race series. Just look at any other sims or racing games and try to play online with random people, it's a mess 90% of the time.

Polyphony

Ha, I just got that 2 year offer as well. The 6 months for 1$ is a killer deal. Might start a new account for that. I don't mind racing the Mazda Cup over and over.

1-D_FTW

once you start getting 59.xx around lime rock and consistently in the 1.00's then you're set, the mx-5 series is arguably the most fun as it produces ridiculously tight races at times and you also don't need to know your way around a car as its fixed setup

we had a race the other night where the top 4 of us were separated by about half a car length each for around 5 laps and there was no contact at all, you simply can't buy that or program that into a game, it just comes from a mature and dedicated community and at least in my experience, iracing is the only racing game with that, especially on public servers

This is what caused me to quit the first time I tried it earlier in the year. For the life of me, it seemed impossible. Fast forward to today (gave it a second chance with the Cadillac offer):

So the G27 brake mod/Bodnar cable help. As does 3D. A lot. But I was still stuck until I started tuning this car. I don't think I'm tuned in all the way yet, but I've finally ran a low 1:00.xx with my latest build. So either every one tunes their cars, or I just really suck at stock settings in games.

This is what caused me to quit the first time I tried it earlier in the year. For the life of me, it seemed impossible. Fast forward to today (gave it a second chance with the Cadillac offer):

So the G27 brake mod/Bodnar cable help. As does 3D. A lot. But I was still stuck until I started tuning this car. I don't think I'm tuned in all the way yet, but I've finally ran a low 1:00.xx with my latest build. So either every one tunes their cars, or I just really suck at stock settings in games.

You can't tune the Miata in the rookie series.

:( I thought he was just saying it had limited options. Makes me sad that you can tune the suspension in testing, but not racing. Not only am I faster, but I'm more consistent and stable.

Nope, the rookie Street Stocks and MX-5 rookie series are both fixed setups.

If you want to tune the Miata you can go to either the inRacingNews Challenge rookie series, or the Grand Touring Cup D-class series; you'll be able to set up the MX-5 there.

AcridMeat

Banned
I wish these promotions would be valid for existing accounts. I dumped money for a couple car series on my account, I never even got to race my V8 supercup.

Polyphony

That's what I love about driving with a fixed setup. It's no longer about tweaking the car to your liking, but more about adapting your driving style to suit the car. It might be frustrating at first, but it sure feels rewarding.

1-D_FTW

Nope, the rookie Street Stocks and MX-5 rookie series are both fixed setups.

If you want to tune the Miata you can go to either the inRacingNews Challenge rookie series, or the Grand Touring Cup D-class series; you'll be able to set up the MX-5 there.

I can get the stock Miata down to 1:00.xx flat now. But that's only because I've made up some time elsewhere. There's still a couple spots where I just can't get the speed I need with the car so tight. Guess I'll have to watch some videos and see how they're doing it.

I wish these promotions would be valid for existing accounts. I dumped money for a couple car series on my account, I never even got to race my V8 supercup.

It is disappointing. Even my second account, which had nothing to lose, now has a mark of shame to it. A 2 behind my name. Still, I remember when this game was first announced. If my memory is correct, weren't prices absolutely insane? So at least it seems to be coming down somewhat.

EDIT:

I was right. Prices have come down quite a bit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9462724&postcount=1

I can get the stock Miata down to 1:00.xx flat now. But that's only because I've made up some time elsewhere. There's still a couple spots where I just can't get the speed I need with the car so tight. Guess I'll have to watch some videos and see how they're doing it.

I think I'm still stuck in 1:01.x land, though I haven't done the fixed Miata setup on Lime Rock in a long time; I've probably improved significantly since then. Not 59.x improved though.

Won't matter since I'll be banned from the Rookie Miata series for no real good reason starting next week though.

To be fair, established members do get quite a few of the promotions coming their way too. Just recently they had 2 years for the price of 1, and they have the buy X $IR and get Y free somewhat frequently. Add to that the $40/year participation bonus, the nontrivial referral bonuses, and the anniversary and you're getting a fair amount of savings.

Though I still want to get into oval racing, and I think the price point for the oval tracks is too high. I can't justify to myself paying the same price for an oval track that's 1/4 the length of a road course, especially if I'm just doing it as a distraction from my road racing. I think it would be cool if you could pay $X for a "season pass" to a series, where you would be licensed for all of the series content for the duration of it (but only be able to use the content in that series).

mclaren777

A new build is now available with tons of updates (only a small sample below). It also includes Oran Park and Rockingham Speedway.

Spotting
- Spotting allows members to join sessions and act as another driver's spotter through various voice chat channels. You can spot through the myRacers page, Spectator Sessions, or through the myRacers popup. Enable spotting in the settings panel under “General Settings”. Here, you can also control additional spotter privacy settings.

Race Week Scoring
- The best 25% of a driver's race performances (based on points scored) in a given Race Week will be averaged at the conclusion of each Official Series Race during the week. The final average at the conclusion of the Race Week will be the driver's Race Week Point Total and count towards the season championships in that series.

64-Bit
- This update installs both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the simulator into your iRacing installation. If your system is 64-bit capable, the 64-bit version of the simulator will now be used automatically. Older 32-bit systems will continue to use the 32-bit version of the simulator.

Dirty Windshields
- Windshields will now get dirty as you drive. Driving behind other cars will make the windshield get dirtier faster. Driving through smoke, dust, clouds of oil from blown motors will make the windshield get really dirty really fast. We have added this effect to all cars with full windshields. Your pit crew have an option to do a windshield tear-off, available in the F4 black box, if the car supports windshield tear-offs.

Graphics
- Optimized the filtering of the shadow maps to use fewer texture lookups per pixel. This change should decrease the magnitude of any micro-stutters caused by off-screen shadow map rendering. The new filter is a bit sharper and better aligned, but very distant edge on tree shadows may sparkle just a tad more than before.

Tracks
- All tracks have had their surface textures rebuilt to eliminate a mip-mapping artifact where a line of brightness change would appear a few meters ahead of the car (and this line would move with the car/camera). This change also fixed an issue where triangle boundaries would sometimes appear in the track surface when viewed from certain distances/angles. This change to our source texture maps fixed this issue for most tracks, however Mosport is known to still exhibit a similar issue for some unknown reason. Some other older tracks may as well.

inQ9NEfOZ2ubL.jpg

ibnUb1YVn0XbSn.jpg

Polyphony

I was itching to compete in this again, so I took the Cadillac offer. It's still valid btw, but the offer is only for 3 months now.

The last one I got was 1 year for $59 which I took up. The offer ended last week, so I'm assuming they'll have a new promo probably tying into today's software update, and new car(s) <--- L49 I want it now.

IMACOMPUTA

The last one I got was 1 year for $59 which I took up. The offer ended last week, so I'm assuming they'll have a new promo probably tying into today's software update, and new car(s) <--- L49 I want it now.

Yeah I'd take 3 months for 1, but I'd really rather get a year for $59. That'd be great.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but word around the barn is that the new Porsche is such a game changer of a car, that it puts AC's version to shame. Supposedly this car is an orgasmic experience to drive and drives like no other car in iRacing(ie no unrecoverable ice slides). Can anyone validate these claims?

Oh and for those of you living under a rock, Dirt is coming very soon and those who've driven it say it's extremely fun. Can't wait for RallyX.

Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but word around the barn is that the new Porsche is such a game changer of a car, that it puts AC's version to shame. Supposedly this car is an orgasmic experience to drive and drives like no other car in iRacing(ie no unrecoverable ice slides). Can anyone validate these claims?

Oh and for those of you living under a rock, Dirt is coming very soon and those who've driven it say it's extremely fun. Can't wait for RallyX.

I do think it's the best developed car, with the best tire model iRacing have done to date, however it's not some night and day difference. A lot of the "Ice Racing" characteristics were cleaned up, at this point, years ago. The Porsche is a small step forward for them, as is the case with nearly every new car/build they release. The added bonus here is refinements to the tire model which gives it another little bump forward. I look forward to the rest of the cars getting the new tire, so we can really understand the advancement.

Aside from some technical differences like one having ABS and the other not, the biggest difference between the car in AC and the car iRacing is sims themselves. If you have a preference for one sim over the other, that's more than likely the car which enjoy more. Betta Lines drew some comparisons in the main PC Sim thread, and Box did a whole video on it. I think both takes are on point.

With all the effort Kaemmer has put into dirt, I think it'll be very impressive technically. I'm not real sure it'll be something I spend a huge amount of time with, but that's just me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I do think it's the best developed car, with the best tire model iRacing have done to date, however it's not some night and day difference. A lot of the "Ice Racing" characteristics were cleaned up, at this point, years ago. The Porsche is a small step forward for them, as is the case with nearly every new car/build they release. The added bonus here is refinements to the tire model which gives it another little bump forward. I look forward to the rest of the cars getting the new tire, so we can really understand the advancement.

Aside from some technical differences like one having ABS and the other not, the biggest difference between the car in AC and the car iRacing is sims themselves. If you have a preference for one sim over the other, that's more than likely the car which enjoy more. Betta Lines drew some comparisons in the main PC Sim thread, and Box did a whole video on it. I think both takes are on point.

With all the effort Kaemmer has put into dirt, I think it'll be very impressive technically. I'm not real sure it'll be something I spend a huge amount of time with, but that's just me.

Gotcha. Thanks for the impressions!

chrislowe

Best sim there is.
And it has that awesome Papyrus ffb that makes you feel what the car is up to.

I like Assetto Corsa aswell but the force feedback in that game is terrible and takes away alot of the feel of the car.

chrislowe

I did not know about Logitech ARX at all, until I the other day!.

Now my old Nexus 7 is going to be mount at my Playseat rig for extra dash / controll in iRacing.
Love these things! :)

For those like me who did not know about this, it lets you use your tablet / phone as an extra userinterface in many PC-games.

For example here https://youtu.be/3ExyLzbGpwI?t=381

Just gonna need to find some good way to mount the nexus 7 on the rig.

Top Bottom