• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

zroid

Banned
The time trials feel intimidating at first (doesn't help that the first stage has a tricky one), but once you get into it a bit, they're pretty fun/satisfying. And not overly difficult.

jariw

I tried Mummy Me Maze Forever a few dozen times and didn't quite make it to 4,000 coins. Finally gave up in favor of other games.

If you just get the big piles of coins on the way to the goal box on each level, you should easily end up at much more than 4,000 coins after the very last level.

NEO0MJ

Just finished the main game! I had a lot of fun with this. It's been a long time since I last played a game like this and I'm glad Nintendo decided to greenlight it.

mcmmaster

Bonus Book, Mummy-Me Maze Forever, Collect 5000 Coins... seriously fuck you Nintendo lol, dreading whats to come in the final few pages after this level.

Arkam

Half-way through chapter 2. Game a lot of fun and pretty relaxed. I feel like I needed something like this as a break.

YUP! Its my game for when i need to comedown from a CS:Go session. Its so damn relaxing! Have not finished it yet, but so far I all the puzzles are ones that I never feel rushed or forced along. Its the game I didnt know I needed.

I just found this on nippon-yasan:
wii-u-captain-kinopio-amiibo-set.jpg

Link

When was this announced? Is this JP only?
I still need to get this game and a Toad amiibo bundle would be pretty cool since I'm also planning on getting one.

TheMoon

I just found this on nippon-yasan:
wii-u-captain-kinopio-amiibo-set.jpg

Link

When was this announced? Is this JP only?
I still need to get this game and a Toad amiibo bundle would be pretty cool since I'm also planning on getting one.

I think this was announced in the January Direct. Yes, this is Japan only (as far as we know).

mcmmaster

Woohoo just beat Mummy-Me Maze Forever, that was a million more times tough than Champion Road. What gave me the most trouble was the fire piranha plants, so annoying just remembering how many times they hit me, timing when to run had to be so precise to avoid getting hit by the fire.

The 5000 coins are easy. The trick is basically to
survive until the end

Exactly how i did it, pretty much focused on getting to the exit.

Joei

Just started playing this the other day. Currently on Book 2, about 10 challenges in I think. Very fun challanges that vary in difficulty for me, awesome boards, and has such a 3DW and SMG feel to me. I have a 3DW save and love those bonus boards as well. At work and can't wait to play some more, so worth the money so far. Probably going to pick up Kirby after this. I love the 40$ tag.

mstevens

Woohoo just beat Mummy-Me Maze Forever, that was a million more times tough than Champion Road. What gave me the most trouble was the fire piranha plants, so annoying just remembering how many times they hit me, timing when to run had to be so precise to avoid getting hit by the fire.

Exactly how i did it, pretty much focused on getting to the exit.

I think I'll save myself the frustration and be done once I'm done with chapter 3. Beating Champion Road was tough enough!

Roo

I think I'll save myself the frustration and be done once I'm done with chapter 3. Beating Champion Road was tough enough!

It's not really tough per se but that level can get tedious really fast.
Plus it's extremely disheartening if you die when you already accomplished half the maze and since you only have a chance to get hit, all the enthusiam can simply go away just like that.

It's definitely not meant for everyone but I think you should give it a try at least to see if you like it or not.

radcliff

Did anyone else think the Super Mario 3D Worlds levels looked better in Capt. Toad than in the original game? It seems like they removed the haze from the original game and IMO it made the game look better.

NEO0MJ

Did anyone else think the Super Mario 3D Worlds levels looked better in Capt. Toad than in the original game? It seems like they removed the haze from the original game and IMO it made the game look better.

They did do that. Someone posted a comparison shot somewhere in this thread.

Joei

Quick question. I just finished Episode 2 and I noticed that after I finished, the book has the three icons on it, since I got every level stamped, but there's no feather on the cover like on the Episode 1 book; it still says 2 on the cover. Is that normal? Am I missing something in one of the levels?

The 5000 coins are easy. The trick is basically to
survive until the end

This was my biggest mistake. I tried for hours and hours to get every coin in every stage until I eventually just gave up and tried to make it to the end without dying, which I did without much trouble. I was easily in excess of the 5000 coins.

Joei

Mummy-me maze forever might be the "toughest" level I've ever played. If not for the fire piranhas, it was the blue shy guys that would get me. So many times I run under passage and get from not seeing anything there. Or the times I load up and see 2 charging chucks right next to me with no where to run. I've only gotten to about 3800 coins, but I think that's it. Incredibly frustrating to die and have to restart, and I just spent about 5 hours on that level. First modern Mario/Nintendo level I'm calling it a day on. Frankly, Champions Road was "easier" cause at least it wasn't randomly generated every time you restarted. The rest of the game was incredibly fun, but that level left a very sour taste in my mouth.

zroid

Banned
the fire piranhas are real bastards

i was never able to get past them consistently until i started tapping on them to stun

jnWake

the fire piranhas are real bastards

i was never able to get past them consistently until i started tapping on them to stun

Yeah, the only way to consistently get past some enemies in Mummy Me Maze is to stun them. For that, I find the easier way is to put the Gamepad down, hold the B button with your pinky, tap with the index and move the camera with the ring finger. It isn't that hard.

jariw

Mummy-me maze forever might be the "toughest" level I've ever played. If not for the fire piranhas, it was the blue shy guys that would get me. So many times I run under passage and get from not seeing anything there. Or the times I load up and see 2 charging chucks right next to me with no where to run. I've only gotten to about 3800 coins, but I think that's it. Incredibly frustrating to die and have to restart, and I just spent about 5 hours on that level. First modern Mario/Nintendo level I'm calling it a day on. Frankly, Champions Road was "easier" cause at least it wasn't randomly generated every time you restarted. The rest of the game was incredibly fun, but that level left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I think MMMF was one of the most brilliant parts of Captain Toad, since it basically only needed a good strategy. After that strategy is found, you can beat it consistently.

IIRC, the fire piranha plants are at levels 21-24, and the shy guys are the 26-29 levels? Since you get level 21 and 26 "for free", you only have 3 level of each to concentrate on. And the trick is to
play those particular levels solely on the gamepad and stun each enemy while you go

Joei

I think MMMF was one of the most brilliant parts of Captain Toad, since it basically only needed a good strategy. After that strategy is found, you can beat it consistently.

IIRC, the fire piranha plants are at levels 21-24, and the shy guys are the 26-29 levels? Since you get level 21 and 26 "for free", you only have 3 level of each to concentrate on. And the trick is to
play those particular levels solely on the gamepad and stun each enemy while you go

I actually just beat it. Took me a few hours today as well, but I did it. My pride wouldn't let me not beat the level. What I did this time was play the whole thing on my Gamepad. I realized I could walk for most courses and be fine, and I used that stun move a lot. Blue Shy guys were actually no problem this time and even the fire piranha's become manageable to get around. What kept giving me trouble this time was the Chargin' Chuck levels, specifically 45. I got to it a few times before I beat it, but each time I was getting swarmed by the chucks. Eventually, I just started circling like mad with my right hand to stun what I could and was able to get through the level. And actually, once I passed that level I was able to get to the end no problem on my first try (there actually are fire piranha's on those last levels as well.)

Needless to say I'm less salty today, still a very frustrating level though. But time to put this game aside, very fun time with it and I'm looking forward to getting the Toad Amiibo (have it preordered) even if the bonus is fairly minimal.

Finally started playing this game. Just beat Book 1.

I am in fucking love. This game is so adorable. <33333 Makes me want to replay 3D World as well.

Robin64

Woop, got a Toad amiibo!

I know you get a stamp on a page when you have found Pixel Toad for that level, but do you get one on the book cover when you have them all too?

bumpkin

I fired up the game today and didn't see the amiibo option anywhere. :( Is there some trick to getting it to trigger the update? Do I have to go to the eShop to get it?

TheMoon

I fired up the game today and didn't see the amiibo option anywhere. :( Is there some trick to getting it to trigger the update? Do I have to go to the eShop to get it?

updates have nothing to do with the eShop. just restart the game. it only auto-downloads updates if you've played a game recently (=1-2 months or so ago)

jariw

Learned about a new "trick" in the latest Cat Mario Show. Those little birds that can land on Toad's head:
if you walk very slowly when the bird sits on the head, the bird will stay and not fly away.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Day 1 of Treasure Tracker: "This is a nice little game."
Day 15 of Treasure Tracker: "This is a nice not-so-little game with a generous amount of content."
Day 30 of Treasure Tracker: "I've finally finished the third and final epi--there's another one? And there are time attack challenges that managed to elude my eyes until now? It never ends!"

I can't say I feel short-changed, but I think I'm just going to move on and make it my "I've got 15 minutes to kill" game, haha.

Top Bottom