• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Aguila

#ICONIC
XEQ3cqo.png

6E6uklc.png

• Platform: Wii U
  • Developer: Nintendo
  • Genre: Mass-Action Strategy
  • Players: 1-2
  • File Size: 3.85 GB
  • Price: £39.99 | $59.99
  • Launch Date: July 13 (Japan) | July 26 (Europe) | August 4 (US)

VIFdJuN.png

Is this real life?
After nine years of waiting, Pikmin 3 is finally upon us! The tiny critters were thrown from the Gamecube to the Wii U, skipping over the little Wii console, Pikmin 3’s original platform. The plus? The Pikmin are in HD. Which means? Extra cuteness.

Story
The planet of Koppai is in a dire situation. Its people are running out of food! Starvation is imminent. The future of this planet is placed on the shoulders of three space captains, Alph, Brittany, and Charlie. Their objective: to find food and bring back what they can for harvesting. Fortunately, they crash-land on PNF-404, the planet of the Pikmin, where they find an abundance of gigantic fruit. It turns out that they can only retrieve the fruit with the help of the Pikmin whom they enslave, I mean, who gladly help these alien visitors.

Characters
P1YNS38.png

From left to right:
The Captains (Brittany, Alph, and Charlie) | They control the Pikmin. Alph admires Charlie, Brittany likes to eat a lot, and Charlie seems fond of Brittany.
Red Pikmin | Resistant to fire. Powerful attackers; maybe its their dagger-like noses.
Yellow Pikmin | Conductive and resistant to electricity. Can be thrown high; maybe it's because of those big ole aerodynamic ears.
Blue Pikmin | Resistant to drowning. They have gills.
Reggie Purple Pikmin | Heavy and muscular. They have the power of 10 Pikmin! (Note: These Pikmin do not appear in Story Mode.)
White Pikmin | Quick. These little boogers will outrun other Pikmin. White Pikmin can detect hidden objects and are resistant to poison. Also, sacrifice one to poison an enemy (;_;). (Note: These Pikmin do not appear in Story Mode.)
(NEW!)Rock Pikmin | It's like throwing a rock, basically. They can break hard materials like glass, crystals, and exoskeletons. They can also withstand being crushed.
(NEW!)Winged Pikmin | They can fly! Able to carry and lift objects above land and water, and they attack from above.​

OM9tQ8D.png

Modes
The game offers three modes to choose from at the start.
Worldwide leaderboards will be available for both Story Mode and Mission Mode.
Mission Mode and Bingo Battle Mode are illustrated below.

Story Mode | 1 Player | The main single-player "campaign" mode. Play through the story of the Koppai captains.
Mission Mode | 1-2 Players | Choose from a list of missions that require you to complete a certain objective like battling enemies, collecting fruit, or defeating a boss within a 7 to 10 minute time limit. Co-op is available for all challenges. You are scored at the end for your efficiency.
Bingo Battle Mode | 2 Players | In this multiplayer mode, two players each have a 4x4 bingo card and must complete a row by collecting the objects on them. The two players are set in one area and have the ability to interfere with each others progress and Pikmin. The two players also have a roulette wheel that gives them items.
hUYmJAn.png

V8HqAsw.png

KopPad
The KopPad, or GamePad, has many handy features. Here are a few.
Map | A visual diagram of the areas sections that you have visited. Scroll through it, and use it to easily command groups.
Fruit | An inventory can be displayed of the fruits that you have collected and information about them.
Camera | Pikmin 3 has a new camera feature that allows you to take a photo from the perspective of the captains. You can then post these on MiiVerse.

tGmdFQV.png

MiiVerse
Pikmin 3's community on MiiVerse will allow for you to post pictures that you have taken with the KopPad. Share some of those gruesome Pikmin slayage scenes, or post some beautiful nature shots.​
hiLUaz0.png

5rAlHYz.png

yiQVIv5.png

Basics
Who am I? The game revolves around the mission of the three captains, collecting fruit. You, the player, will have control over Alph, Brittany, and Charlie. There are now three captains to control independently compared to one (Olimar) in the first Pikmin game and two (Olimar +Louie) in Pikmin 2. This allows for more varied strategies when traversing an area or dividing work. Work that is basically to be done by the Pikmin, of course.

What can I do? The captains control these hordes of plant-animal-hybrid ant-like creatures. Use them to remove obstacles like walls or other animals that are in the way of your treasured fruit (and then use them to carry said fruit to your spaceship).

What am I supposed to do? Usually, your objective will be to retrieve fruits back to your spaceship, S.S. Drake, or a Koppai space probe called SPERO for storage. The Pikmin can take dead animals or flower pellets to their Onion (just one Onion this time) to multiply. You can stand under the Onion to take out Pikmin and put them back (which you should do to all of them before sunset, or else).
HYqF2MU.png

How do I keep playing? The fruit that is collected by the groups spaceship will be extracted for juice and seeds. The juice is important because the captains must drink it in order to survive. To continue advancing in the game, you must always have enough juice for the captains.

Is there still time limits in the main Story Mode? As in the previous Pikmin titles, there is a time limit for each day played in the game that is governed by the game's daylight. The Pikmin can't survive in the dark! Pikmin 3 does not have the 30-day limit of Pikmin 1, though. As long as you have juice, you will have 100 in-game days to play. Plenty of time to play at your own pace.
zUZn2d1.png

What's new? Another addition to the game is the carrying over of boss damage to the next day. You can start battling an enemy one day and it will retain its damage for the next day so that you can continue your battle. Items will also remain in the same place, as in previous Pikmin games. Pikmin still get eaten at night, too!

Is there more new stuff? You may be wondering how Pikmin 3's gameplay has benefitted from the Wii U's power. The Pikmin can now latch on to more specific body parts, like the eye of a Bulborb. Bosses are larger. Environments are much bigger. Objects like bridges and walls and the process of building and knocking them down are much more detailed as well.

I want more new stuff! The captains also have a new rolling move that will be useful when avoiding attacks. The ability to take pictures with the KopPad is new too!

kthnxba- WAIT! There are a few things to acknowledge. One is that Purple and White Pikmin are not in the story mode. All other Pikmin are. Second, the swarming (C-move) in other Pikmin games is gone (replaced by the lock-on). Yes, a bummer, but we must deal.

Controls
There are several control-options for this game. The following is a gif of some of the options and below is my attempt at explanations. ¡Hey, listen! If you don't have a Wii Remote Plus you will still be able to use the standard Wii Remote. The Wii Classic Controller is not supported.

ig9e7jBLir080.gif

oTSIOfY.png
C7YagDY.png

TV + GamePad | The main action occurs on the TV. The GamePad (refferred to as KopPad in the game) will display a detailed map of the area that will show the whereabouts of the captains and Pikmin. Captain groups can be commanded to a specific spot by a few taps on the map. If you wish to scan the whole area, simply slide across the map and the game will pause as you review the area for strategies. The basic GamePad controls will work similarly to the Gamecube controls.
oTSIOfY.png
pfMoTLL.png
keu2hNS.png
2GkV5pU.png

TV + Wii Remote + Nunchuk + GamePad | Miyamoto's preferred controls. Simply point at the television to aim at objects and throw the Pikmin. If you played the Wii ports, then you will already have a feel for these controls. However, something new is the ability to lock on to intractable objects with Z which will allow for Pikmin to be maneuvered directly to them. The GamePad will be optional. It will again have a display of the map.
oTSIOfY.png
xTgHoqv.png
2GkV5pU.png

TV + Pro Controller + GamePad | This will basically work like the Gamecube controls of the first two Pikmin games. The GamePad is optional.
C7YagDY.png

GamePad | The Wii U's off-screen option will be available for Pikmin 3. Sit on your toilet and kill Bulborbs.
C7YagDY.png
pfMoTLL.png
keu2hNS.png

GamePad + Wii Remote + Nunchuk | You can also play on the GamePad using the Wii Remote controls. So many options! I'm dizzy.​

9U9smbm.png

Pikmin 3 Reviews
Thread

Pikmin 3 Art
Thread
High Resolution Promo Art (Dropbox Folder) If unable to preview, click "more" on bottom right then on "view original"

Pikmin 3 Official Websites
Pikmin 3 Website (Japan) | Pikmin 3 Website (UK) | Pikmin 3 Website (US)

Pikmin Avatars
I made some avatars. Look in this Dropbox folder.

More
P.S. None of the Pikmin, fruit, branches, or gameboxes in the banners are to scale ;_;
P.P.S. Pikmin are supposed to be about 2-3cm high.
P.P.P.S Could one lone Winged Pikmin carry a banana? I don't even know. Enjoy the game!
lGl1kZW.png

D-e-f-

Banned
Great looking OP!
Thumbs up!

The wait is gonna be brutal for me since I ordered from a place that takes its time to ship games ...ugh :/

Great OP!!
It was a long time but it was worth the wait. just 9 days left...compared to 9 years it's nothing but still too long.

Amir0x

Banned
Finally the game I've been waiting for for nearly a decade; the title that made me originally want a Wii U and that, despite its mediocre visual presentation and food-based direction (Pikmin 2's superlative humour will never be matched now; that much is clear) I will likely gobble up until I can not even move. Total consumption.

Can't believe this is finally coming out after years of waiting.

This and M&L4 coming out so close together in NA is insane.

They may not be the big hits this year but they will definitely be two of the best Nintendo games for the year imo.

npa189

9 years was way too long for another installment. A whole console generation, but I guess if they wanted it out in 2008, but saw the Wii U hardware and it's HDness it would make sense. No excuse for it not being out with the Wii U hardware.

Great OP. This is the first game (together with Wonderful 101) that I have preordered for a longest time.

For both of the other Finnish Wii U owners here, Pikmin 3 is 36,90 € for pre-order at Verkkokauppa. And Wonderful 101 is 39,90 €.

iMax

What an awesome OT! Nice job, OP :)

What control scheme is everyone gonna use then? Also, does it support MotionPlus?

Shahadan

Finally the game I've been waiting for for nearly a decade; the title that made me originally want a Wii U and that, despite its mediocre visual presentation and food-based direction (Pikmin 2's superlative humour will never be matched now; that much is clear) I will likely gobble up until I can not even move. Total consumption.

Face it you'll hate it and annoy the hell out of us for the next two years :lol:

Excellent OT

There's also being able to see what your pikmin are doing on the gamepad. That was left out. As in which ones are just lying around and which ones are active.

Edit: noticed you noted what you listed was just a few of the gamepad features. I thought you thought you listed them all.

MarkusRJR

So pumped. Does Wii remote aiming work via IR or gyro? I hated the aiming in Skyward Sword since it was gyro. Trying to decide if I want to go with the Game Pad or Wii remote.

Sinthetic

Lovely work on the OT. Seriously looking forward to spending some time with this (and having something to play on my Wii U).

RMI

Banned
great OT. Gotta say the screens for this game have me pretty hyped and I've never played a Pikmin before. I'll probably cave and buy this game if it winds up being as good as it looks.

Amir0x

Banned
Face it you'll hate it and annoy the hell out of us for the next two years :lol:

If people sharing negative opinions is annoying then yes it's possible. But in the same way people share their positive impressions over and over, if that's the road the game requires me to take, I will take it. Even my most favorite and anticipated game series (of which Pikmin certainly is) aren't above a thrashing if it sucks :p

Cbajd5

So pumped. Does Wii remote aiming work via IR or gyro? I hated the aiming in Skyward Sword since it was gyro. Trying to decide if I want to go with the Game Pad or Wii remote.

I heard it uses Gyro, but it's been improved a lot. It also supports non Motionplus Remotes, so there's the IR option for those people who have original Wii Remotes, but I heard it's worse.

Thats a one hell of a great OT! Thanks OP!

I hope that I wont get disappointed especially that I bought the Wii U for this game.

Top Bottom