• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL: Advanced Edition |OT|: Now on iPad (and free update on PC!)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
My first AE run ended when I came across an enemy ship in one of the new ion burst environmental hazards that had a scrap launcher, one of the new stunning ion weapons, and a beam drone.

I got stomped. Been a while since the last time that happened.

MarionCB

This is an amazingly good update to the game. Every part has been expanded and improved, with all sorts of little tweaks that iron out things out, like the save positions button or system selection looking nicer. The new race and the new weapons, ship and equipment are great, and I love the music. Kudos to Subset for making this free, because there's definitely been paid DLC with a lot less than this update (State of Decay, I'm looking at you, or the way the devs for Endless Space handled a new race).

GUN-NAC

The new Anti-Ship Battery & Rebel Fleet combo is a nightmare (been playing on hard). Taking the risk to explore a couple of extra jumps at the end of a sector isn't such a great idea anymore...

OTIX

Just finished a playthrough on my ipad 3 and I'm really impressed, at no point did I feel like I was fighting with the controls. This is a high quality port, not a quick and dirty job like xcom. They really thought hard about translating the game for touch controls.

I'll probably still play mostly on PC but the ipad version is well worth the price, and then some.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm so god damn shit at this game. I'll never see the new content. Don't know why I was so excited.

You sure you toggled "Advanced Edition" on? It is off by default. Because i found new content pretty early on. (Play on easy, upgrade to shields to rank 2 ASAP, don't waste missiles, target enemy weapons first early on)

Seanspeed

Banned
You sure you toggled "Advanced Edition" on? It is off by default. Because i found new content pretty early on. (Play on easy, upgrade to shields to rank 2 ASAP, don't waste missiles, target enemy weapons first early on)
Yea, advanced edition on, easy mode.

Its not my first time playing the game. I'm just terrible at it. I've basically only found one winning strategy and it relies upon me hitting good fortune to get what I need.

Don't feel bad.. I've never beaten the boss on PC also. Lol
Same. I did get to the boss once, but died. That was actually the last time I played before today!

No idea how to unlock the 3rd version of ships... but I somehow did on the rock cruiser. Not sure about the new race... seems to be hard to manage.

That said, the changes are amazing. Weapons that you can let over charge for greater effect are awesome. Weapons that are area of effect instead of direct target are also great. My favorite so far? Frag cannon... To finally have a simple and cheap weapon designed to rip apart shields.... so good!

Even the easiest setting is a lot harder IMO... if only because with so many new weapons, you are less likely to luck into getting "the perfect weapon".

Even the easiest setting is a lot harder IMO... if only because with so many new weapons, you are less likely to luck into getting "the perfect weapon".

My perfect setup was dual blasters x2 and Fire beam. My god, that was just a FUN combo to inflict on enemy ships. Shields down, set fire to their shields and weapons. Second round while watching them flail about trying to extinguish fires is to pop their O2 supply and medbay with fire. Oh what's that, you want to surrender?? TOO BAD, keep burning you mantis bastards!

Sweet sweet pay back for all those times I got bent over the barrel with hull breaches in my O2 room and 4 invaders in my weapons room! suckithaters-massefffect.gif

h#shdem0n

I really want to play this game, but I don't have a tablet or a way to comfortably use a mouse (I have a wireless kb with a build in touchpad).

I did a few non-advanced edition runs to get back in the groove, this game is still fun. Now let's see what's in the update. By the way, does anyone know how to unlock the 'C' layouts for the ships (spoiler tag if necessary)?

I really want to play this game, but I don't have a tablet or a way to comfortably use a mouse (I have a wireless kb with a build in touchpad).
I played it on a macbook using the touchpad only without any problem. But Macbooks' touchpads are super awesome. It's not a real time game, you can and you will pause a lot to issue orders.

I believe it tells you the requirement in-game when you click Layout C and hover over the ships you don't have. IIRC it's getting to the last stage with layout B.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm a little bit in love with the clone bay. You can throw your hapless crew at giant alien spiders and form ad hoc firefighting brigades like no big deal. When one of your little minions dies it just spawns a brand new one.

It's probably worse than the med bay for most real applications, but the way the Lanius B is basically built around using it to enable you to send your dudes on endless suicide missions warms my heart.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Whoa, just beat it on my first run with the enhanced stuff. The volcan chain laser + the augment that charges your weapons between jumps is insanely OP. I also feel like I'm getting a ton more scrap on normal.

jepulis

Banned
I did a few non-advanced edition runs to get back in the groove, this game is still fun. Now let's see what's in the update. By the way, does anyone know how to unlock the 'C' layouts for the ships (spoiler tag if necessary)?

Get to sector 8 with B-ship, game tells you this, not secret :)

Haha, just played my first run in FTL last night. Was doing surprisingly well, but was a little to quick to use missiles early on so i was a little low.

Got right to the end of the second area, but for some reason my ship lost all its oxygen and everyone died. D:
No idea what happened, something must have broke in the fight I had just finished. Jumped into a cloud nebula or something and before I could do anything everyone started dropping, haha.

Haha, just played my first run in FTL last night. Was doing surprisingly well, but was a little to quick to use missiles early on so i was a little low.

Got right to the end of the second area, but for some reason my ship lost all its oxygen and everyone died. D:
No idea what happened, something must have broke in the fight I had just finished. Jumped into a cloud nebula or something and before I could do anything everyone started dropping, haha.

Cloud nebulas can knock out some of your systems because they reduce your maximum power level somewhat. It probably shut off your o2 because there wasn't enough power to power them anymore. Can make some fights in the nebula tricky, especially when you need to weigh in reducing your shields (to turn back on o2) versus your weapons

dalin80

Banned
The important thing about O2 is to remember that strictly speaking your crew doesn't have to breath... for a while at least, so as long as you can win the fight before that whole 'suffocation' thing then it's all gravy.

/life on the edge.

Roshin

Did they increase the difficulty or am I just rusty, because good Goat, I'm getting humiliated on the easy setting... :D

KeRaSh

My perfect setup was dual blasters x2 and Fire beam. My god, that was just a FUN combo to inflict on enemy ships. Shields down, set fire to their shields and weapons. Second round while watching them flail about trying to extinguish fires is to pop their O2 supply and medbay with fire. Oh what's that, you want to surrender?? TOO BAD, keep burning you mantis bastards!

Sweet sweet pay back for all those times I got bent over the barrel with hull breaches in my O2 room and 4 invaders in my weapons room! suckithaters-massefffect.gif

That's the setup of my current run. It's a lot of fun. Not sure how long it will keep me alive, though.

SmokyDave

Played this for the first time last night and loved it. I'm not sure how well I'm doing (made it to sector 7/8 or thereabouts on all three runs), but I'm having a great time with it. Works extremely well on the iPad.

The only thing that confused me is that sometimes my weapons would go green, but not fire. I understand how the missile based weapons work, but not so much the beam weapons.

The only thing that confused me is that sometimes my weapons would go green, but not fire. I understand how the missile based weapons work, but not so much the beam weapons.

You need to draw a line with the beam weapons, this way you can target the rooms you want to.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Played this for the first time last night and loved it. I'm not sure how well I'm doing (made it to sector 7/8 or thereabouts on all three runs), but I'm having a great time with it. Works extremely well on the iPad.

Unless you have Autofire turned on then weapons will charge but not fire, you'd have to keep tapping them and targeting where you want to fire them. I'm sure that's for strategy reasons, getting all weapons to fire at the same time and so on. Beam weapons are sort of line based, you click where you want the beam to start and then you can angle the line of the beam around to hit multiple rooms. If I remember correctly you pretty much always need to knock the shields out otherwise the beam's ineffective.

I'm sure there are people who know a lot more about FTL than me who can tell you I'm wrong though, ha.

SmokyDave

Remember to draw the line so that it fetches over maximum amount of rooms for maximum damage! If the line even touches a room it might/will hit.
That's going to make a huge difference for me. I was stuck with just my Artemis missiles a few times last night because I couldn't suss out the beam weapons (but I kept buying / acquiring them).

Can't wait to get home and play it again. I'm surprised how quickly and completely it sucked me in.

Unless you have Autofire turned on then weapons will charge but not fire, you'd have to keep tapping them and targeting where you want to fire them. I'm sure that's for strategy reasons, getting all weapons to fire at the same time and so on. Beam weapons are sort of line based, you click where you want the beam to start and then you can angle the line of the beam around to hit multiple rooms. If I remember correctly you pretty much always need to knock the shields out otherwise the beam's ineffective.

I'm sure there are people who know a lot more about FTL than me who can tell you I'm wrong though, ha.
Thanks, man. I didn't have autofire on because I'm the commander of this ship, I'll choose when we blast our foes to smithereens. I just didn't get the whole 'draw a line' thing. Should've watched a youtube vid or something but I couldn't put the game down long enough.

Can't wait to get home and play it again. I'm surprised how quickly and completely it sucked me in.

inwCcCu7YYMvx.png

Dryk

The new music is fantastic and the tweaks to the UI are great, especially the shield recharge indicator and the return to stations button. I haven't even seen any new content except for a few augments in a store and I'm loving this already

Velcro Fly

Mind control is ridiculous. Watching LethalFrag play again tonight and he's lost two fully leveled mantis because his own crew kills itself when one is mind controlled. It's just one of those things where you need to take down immediately.

Also you can use mind control of your own to get them back but something wonky happened and he mind controlled an enemy instead of getting one of his manti back.

Firebrand

I noticed you can teleport enemies onto your ship if you mind control them, could probably be useful at times.

Loving the expansion so far.

Nikodemos

It's a lot harder than the regular version. For instance, one of my first fights in the first sector featured a pirate vessel with a beam drone and an ion cannon, in an asteroid field.

My ship's structural integrity went from 100 to 50% in a matter of seconds.

Also, crew gain experience much slower than in vanilla, and only from combat. The old asteroid field training doesn't work anymore.

Velcro Fly

Plus random crew you can hire or get in various ways come with their own skills. Saw a Zoltan from a quest that was fully leveled in everything. And it's funny seeing an Engi fully leveled in fighting. Medbay fighting superhero Engi.

Anyone tried it on the iPad 2?

A bit late and completely unscientific, but I think the only problem is it seems to really use the battery hard when playing. Would be interested to know if others noticed this.

Otherwise the port is brilliant. That feel when you enter a shop and see a weapon pre-igniter is still more than intact.

Top Bottom