• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Verger

Banned
Each game has one area that really stands out.

In Prime, it is probably Phendrana Drifts (though for me it is Frigate Orpheon (both times)

In Echoes it is definitely the Sanctuary Fortress

In Corruption it is Elysia (though I think I preferred The Valhalla)

Neiteio

I remember trying the Trilogy on an HDTV once.

It looked... unpleasant.

Kind of tempted to buy just to show support for Metroid, though.

I'd be double-dipping since I already own the retail version.

To give Corruption some love: After all this time, it's probably the "smoothest" first person game I've ever played in terms of movement. It even feels smoother to me than the first two Primes. Moving through Corruption's world is like taking a hot knife to butter.

DooD1234

I know Nintendo never really disclose digital sales but I have to wonder how many people is going to download this. Surely it going to shoot it way to the top of the eShop charts for the entire week.

Neiteio

At the time I played it, Corruption was my favorite of the trilogy.

MP1 is the all-time classic, but I loved the way MP3 played.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I look forward to getting this. Never played any Metriod games before. I hope to god the nunchucks control well. If I can play Kid Icarus uprising on 9 I can do this.....I hope.

Verger

Banned
I unfortunately probably will not get a chance to actually play the game myself until the weekend. So if there is pertinent helpful information that people garner from their own time with this rerelease let me know and I'll shove it in the OP. Stuff like image settings for TV's and the like for maybe a nicer image on their HDTV's.

Agreed completely. In fact, Punch-Out!! is my favorite Wii game.

I just impulse bought it. Never played a Punch Out game in my life.

At the time I played it, Corruption was my favorite of the trilogy.

MP1 is the all-time classic, but I loved the way MP3 played.

MP1 is my favorite, but I can't argue with you. All of the games are so great that I can't argue against any of them being the best. What a trilogy.

Converse

Banned
I'm really looking forward to playing the trilogy again -- haven't visited the series since beating Prime 3 on Wii. I adored all the games and have never played the Wii versions of the first two. This will also be a great way to introduce the games to my friends who have never played Prime.

So, having never played Trilogy, I understand the difficulty modes have been changed. Just in terms of unlockables, does it matter which difficulty I choose?

rezn0r

Yes, you can buy it on the web eShop. They'll give you a download code which you can redeem whenever you want.
For instance, here is Punch-Out, the current $9.99 deal.

You are great, thank you!

Didn't even know they had an eShop.

I have a few other games already, I thought the Luigi game was limited so I jumped on it, etc.

Aeana

I remember trying the Trilogy on an HDTV once.

It looked... unpleasant.

Wii games look a bit better coming from the Wii U over HDMI than they do coming from the Wii over component. The Wii U also outputs a 1080p image, which is nice especially if your TV's scaler is bad. Of course, you're still getting an image that was originally 480p so it'll be a bit fuzzy.

DooD1234

Which everyone should also buy if they haven't yet played. Fantastic game.
I just did and finished the minor circuit and Piston Honda. Holy cow that game is the most responsive Punch Out out of the 3 I have ever played. Next level needs to get on the next Punch Out.

Clockwork5

I finished Prime when it first released on GC and loved it but for some reason I never played the sequels. Seeing as it has been about a decade since I have seen the original in action on a 20" television, I am really excited to dive into this series.

I unfortunately probably will not get a chance to actually play the game myself until the weekend. So if there is pertinent helpful information that people garner from their own time with this rerelease let me know and I'll shove it in the OP. Stuff like image settings for TV's and the like for maybe a nicer image on their HDTV's.

Sharpness to zero, overscan "on" is all I can think of for global settings.

For plasma owners worried about potential image retention, the in game visor graphic can be disabled, and HUD opacity can be modified via a slider.

Neiteio

MP1 is my favorite, but I can't argue with you. All of the games are so great that I can't argue against any of them being the best. What a trilogy.
This is so true. They're all incredible.

...although thinking of Echoes makes my blood boil, since I missed scanning like one GF trooper corpse -- a missable -- and I was locked out of the last tier of bonus content.

Use guides if trying to scan everything, people.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I finished Prime when it first released on GC and loved it but for some reason I never played the sequels. Seeing as it has been about a decade since I have seen the original in action on a 20" television, I am really excited to dive into this series.

I've never played Echoes because doesn't it have some really frustrating stuff in it? I'm always scared to start it.

Prime 3 is beautiful but a flawed game. Samus shouldn't have invited her shitty friends. SPOILER FOR PRIME 3:
It's okay because she kills them all.

Neiteio

Wii games look a bit better coming from the Wii U over HDMI than they do coming from the Wii over component. The Wii U also outputs a 1080p image, which is nice especially if your TV's scaler is bad. Of course, you're still getting an image that was originally 480p so it'll be a bit fuzzy.
I thought Xenoblade Chronicles looked good on my TV via the WiiU, so maybe Prime will fare better here than when I tried it with a regular Wii on an HDTV.

rekameohs

Banned
This is so true. They're all incredible.

...although thinking of Echoes makes my blood boil, since I missed scanning like one GF trooper corpse -- a missable -- and I was locked out of the last tier of bonus content.

Use guides if trying to scan everything, people.
Great news regarding scans for Trilogy is that it's like Corruption; scans carry over in your save file if you start a new game, so you don't need to get everything in one go.

I might just join you guys by playing my GameCube copy of Metroid Prime 2 on Dolphin.

Prime 1

I'm on quite the classic game streak.

REmake HD > Grim Fandango > Prime 2 > Majora's Mask 3D

This train never stops.
Those SweetFX settings...

132.gif

I'm envious of the people playing this set for the first time, truly one of finest trilogies in gaming.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bit of advice for newcomers: disable "lock on free aim" when playing Primes 1 and 2, but make sure it's turned on for 3. It allows you to decouple the aiming reticule from your lock-on pivot-point, which is great in Prime 3, the game where the feature originated, but not so great in the GameCube titles. There are many enemy encounters in prime 1/2 where the game assumes you can just lock on to a target and have your shots hit it. The first miniboss in Prime 1, guarding the morph ball (or is it the bombs?) is a prime (ahuhu) example. It jumps around super fast, and you are not meant to try and manually aim your shots at it.

Verger

Banned
Also if anyone can find a way to take good screengrabs from the TV somehow (I heard unfortunately there may be no functionality for this though), please share them and I'll add them to the OP Galleries

Neiteio

The free-falling Ridley battle in MP3 is pretty much one of the coolest boss battles in the history of videogames

I remember being in awe of it when they showed it at E3 2006, and I still think it's amazing

He fucking holds you in the palm of his hand

Bit of advice for newcomers: disable "lock on free aim" when playing Primes 1 and 2, but make sure it's turned on for 3. It allows you to decouple the aiming reticule from your lock-on pivot-point, which is great in Prime 3, the game where the feature originated, but not so great in the GameCube titles. There are many enemy encounters in prime 1/2 where the game assumes you can just lock on to a target and have your shots hit it. The first miniboss in Prime 1, guarding the morph ball (or is it the bombs?) is a prime (ahuhu) example. It jumps around super fast, and you are not meant to try and manually aim your shots at it.

This is great advice and should be added to the OP.

Note that "Advanced" sensitivity (which I recommend) enables Lock On/Free Aim, so that setting needs to be disabled after selecting it (disable Lock On/Free Aim after selecting Advanced sensitivity unless playing Corruption).

Also if anyone can find a way to take good screengrabs from the TV somehow (I heard unfortunately there may be no functionality for this though), please share them and I'll add them to the OP Galleries

There isn't. The system boots into Wii mode when you start the game and all Wii U features are disabled.

Edit - Nevermind, there is a way:

Actually, there is. ;)

Trilogy has a built in screenshot tool that you can buy with ingame tokens. Use it with up on the dpad. It goes in the Wii message board, can then be moved to SD.

rekameohs

Banned
I like the lock-on free aim quite a bit. Definitely play around with it a bit, I think it's pros far outweigh the cons. That one boss you're talking about, Hive Mecha, is definitely way more annoying with Wii controls, and it's right at the start of MP1, but after that, free aim is awesome.

Crayolan

I just impulse bought it. Never played a Punch Out game in my life.

Well that's great, hope you enjoy it. The game can get pretty difficult, especially in the late game, but it's a super rewarding experience and all the characters are so hilarious that even when you lose a fight you'll probably find yourself smiling thanks to your opponent's victory scene.

Just basic Wiimotes should work, right? Not Wii Motion Plus ones?

I used a built in Wii Motion Plus remote with my physical copy, so I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Neiteio

Ah, shit, the MP1 memories are now flooding back to me

I'm going to buy this despite already owning the retail copy, aren't I

rekameohs

Banned
There isn't. The game boots to Wii mode when you start it and all Wii U features are disabled.
Actually, there is. ;)

Trilogy has a built in screenshot tool that you can buy with ingame tokens. Use it with up on the dpad. It goes in the Wii message board, can then be moved to SD.

I'm curious if you still need the "green tokens" which can only be sent via friends. I know WFC is no more, so I don't know if that can still be done. If it's still possible, you need 15 tokens to buy everything and there's an extremely fast way to get and trade them. I'll post it if it's needed.

Top Bottom