• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Stage divers at Animals as Leaders show - what are you doing?

Lol, I went to their Denver date about a week ago and it was the harshest mosh I've ever been in, sooo many rad bros with something to prove in the pit and an inordinate number of hardcore dancers to boot. Hell, they were moshing for Navene K, a fucking dubstep project lol.

SOME-MIST

Nothing really, just seems weird to me that people were jumping up on stage and running around during a prog show. Just felt weird, not really the vibe AAL was pushing to me. Was probably due to After the Burial being the supporting act, those guys know how to get a crowd going. It was a great show, regardless.

that's because the new cd is more djent, and mosh bros are into it. to be honest, it really isn't that djent, but I am having trouble liking the new cd. there are some really cool Tosin parts that I feel are messed up by the drummer riding the bass pedal through it instead of throwing in some cool jazz fills, and then some parts are really dumb for even Tosin.

It's not that I don't think it's good, but I just don't like it.

Lol, I went to their Denver date about a week ago and it was the harshest mosh I've ever been in, sooo many rad bros with something to prove in the pit and an inordinate number of hardcore dancers to boot. Hell, they were moshing for Navene K, a fucking dubstep project lol.

this would probably be hilarious to see. I think the hardest mosh show I've been to was every time I die, as I lay dying, scarlet, and black dahlia murder at the fireside bowl in Chicago circa 2004... followed by a handful of Trash Talk and Outbreak performances. I have noticed though that in the past 5-10 years the pits are full of muscle dudes instead of nerds.

edit: also to be fair... Navene was in one of the best deathcore bands of all time... but something tells me that most of the pit probably didn't know that.

Ravager61

Is the production as thin as the original?

I wouldn't call Autopsy production "thin" but it has similar production to their last couple albums. Not as muddy as the old stuff. I love old school Autopsy production though. Dat bass

I just meant it has some doomier sections like the Mental Funeral material

rObit

Banned

Ha, so you were the other one. They got to moshing for Navene K in Seattle too and he said something like "This is the second pit all tour, you guys are fucking awesome" or whatever. It was good though, I'm glad people were getting into it. It felt really awkward for the first couple songs before people started to get into it.

that's because the new cd is more djent, and mosh bros are into it. to be honest, it really isn't that djent, but I am having trouble liking the new cd. there are some really cool Tosin parts that I feel are messed up by the drummer riding the bass pedal through it instead of throwing in some cool jazz fills, and then some parts are really dumb for even Tosin.

It's not that I don't think it's good, but I just don't like it.

Fair enough, I haven't listened to most of it yet. I was going to pick up a cd at their merch booth but they had sold out, I'll probably pick it up today.

So there 3 TBAs for Summer Fest in Milwaukee. A few years ago they got Iron Maiden to play, so I'm really hoping one of these TBAs is another awesome metal act.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So, a teaser on Profound Lore's facebook page:
10168142_683865644994810_1362292122_n.jpg

06.10.14 (they're Canadian)

Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice? Deathspell Omega?

SOME-MIST

I was gonna say EKSTASIS (Vindsval from Blut Aus Nord's new band) since they're releasing a split with Krallice... but they're from France and it's on Debemur Morti..

deathspell omega would be cool, but I'd guess castevet.

Ravager61

So, a teaser on Profound Lore's facebook page:
10168142_683865644994810_1362292122_n.jpg

06.10.14 (they're Canadian)

Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice? Deathspell Omega?

I doubt it is DSO since one of the dudes in the band owns Norma Evangelium Diaboli which puts out all their records.

A new Leviathan album would be cool though. Pretty sure Wrest is currently signed to Profound Lore.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
And True Traitor, True Whore had a big ass Omega on the cover (and was released on PL). Could well be.

Blackheim

Gross Reality - Save Yourself

qgIWGlH.jpg

Just heard this a few days ago and, I think I like it...not sure! They describe themselves as being Thrash, that's not the entirety of their sound though. Been around for a while it seems (1991) and are just now getting around to putting out an album.

I've had this enchanted battle-axe up my a$$ the past couple of days, which has prompted me to comb through some end of the year metal lists (so far on stereogum [which I just recently discovered does a fantastic job of covering the genre] and invisible oranges), and sunuvakvlt, there is some great stuff I'm finding.

My two main sources of metal discoveries are:
1) this thread
and
2) the half dozen or so IRL friends I have who are super into metal (which, as an aside, I'm super fortunate to have since it can be so impossible to meet people who are passionate about true metal)

Even with those resources at my disposal, there are some great bands that I wouldn't have otherwise heard of if not taking the time to read these music sites

I'm currently jamming to a band called Trouble, who dropped an album called The Distortion Field. It's this badass combination of energetic heavy southern riffage with a vocalist that drips passion and range. The whole album is available for streaming on here.

Only on my first listen, but it's great so far. And this is just one of the many gems I've uncovered! I'm going to be drowning in great music for the foreseeable future.

Blackheim

I'm currently jamming to a band called Trouble, who dropped an album called When The Sky Comes Down. It's this badass combination of energetic heavy southern riffage with a vocalist that drips passion and range. The whole album is available for streaming on here.

Only on my first listen, but it's great so far. And this is just one of the many gems I've uncovered! I'm going to be drowning in great music for the foreseeable future.

The album is called, The Distortion Field :) When The Sky Comes Down is the first track :p Kyle Thomas from Exhorder sings on that album. While it's not a bad album, I much prefer the older stuff with Eric Wagner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BYhNvLB678

But yes, Trouble are awesome :)

The album is called, The Distortion Field :) When The Sky Comes Down is the first track :p Kyle Thomas from Exhorder sings on that album. While it's not a bad album, I much prefer the older stuff with Eric Wagner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BYhNvLB678

But yes, Trouble are awesome :)
Haha, yeah, I edited my post and hoped no one would notice :p Must be all the funny drink I sipped back in the day resurfacing to wreak continuous havok on my mental faculties.

I'm not all that familiar with metal bands that go for the southern psychedelic sound, so I admittedly don't have any sort of standard to compare this album to. That being said I just downloaded it because I want it in my (sadly all digital) collection. I will definitely check out their earlier material now too, thanks for the link brotha :D

I wasn't quite as down with this, just because it was slower and I've been in the mood for upbeat stuff today. I'll be sure to revisit it though when I'm in the right mindset.

Oops, caught ya :p If you want more of the Groovy Doom/Psychedelia then try the albums, Manic Frustration and Plastic Green Head. Also, The In The Mushroom album by the band Lid.

Memory's Garden

Opium Eater

In The Mushroom
Now these... THESE are jammy and great. I'll have to check out more of this Lid business once I catch up with all these other new metal bands I've discovered over the past few days.

I spent the last two nights going through basically the entire Black Sabbath discography. I just want to say they were an absolutely amazing band. There are so many diverse tracks it's hard for me to know how to categorize them as a band. I already struggle with metal subgenres since I'm not very familiar with metal as a whole and there seem to be lots of different splinter movements.

I won't bother to go through ranking all the albums, since there are lots of them. I'll just say that Paranoid is my clear favorite, followed by Master of Reality. Those two seem head and shoulders above everything else the band put out. I'd put the self-titled debut album and Heaven and Hell in the third and fourth slot, respectively.

Unrelated note: I have a metal head coworker who is trying to introduce me to all these newer metal groups, but most of it comes across as very dark and not particularly beginner-friendly. The one band he keeps insisting is the best out there right now is Deafheaven. I've given their "Sunbather" album a listen and it's very challenging for me to get into it.

Some questions on the band:
1) What category do they fall under?
2) Am I supposed to be able to understand the lyrics?
3) Are these guys generally considered a top-tier group right now, or is my coworker crazy?

I won't pretend to have a grasp on the genre, but based on ShaneB's recommendations I think I gravitate more towards classic heavy metal stuff. I also really like bass-heavy stuff, so Motorhead is next on my list to really check out.

ShaneB

I spent the last two nights going through basically the entire Black Sabbath discography. I just want to say they were an absolutely amazing band. There are so many diverse tracks it's hard for me to know how to categorize them as a band. I already struggle with metal subgenres since I'm not very familiar with metal as a whole and there seem to be lots of different splinter movements.

I won't bother to go through ranking all the albums, since there are lots of them. I'll just say that Paranoid is my clear favorite, followed by Master of Reality. Those two seem head and shoulders above everything else the band put out. I'd put the self-titled debut album and Heaven and Hell in the third and fourth slot, respectively.

Yeah, as I mentioned, Black Sabbath is certainly a key starting point to build off for getting into Metal, and certainly worthy if not just for the history lesson of where it all started really. My favourite being the Dio stuff now, it just feels like the band is refreshed and the tracks feel more lively because of it. After we talked and I went back and listened to some stuff, it still surprises me how varied their catalogue is. Albums can sound so vastly different for a number of reasons. And their post Dio 80's output tends to get overlooked. Some great stuff there.

If you’re looking for something to watch, I’ll recommend the documentaries that Sam Dunn has made. Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey, Global Metal, and what would no doubt be great for you to watch is the Metal Evolution series he did, 10(11?) episodes focusing on a genre at a time. Really great stuff in my opinion. He’s a cool guy, and I still remember standing next to him at an At The Gates concert and headbangin away. Since you’ll eventually go through Iron Maiden’s work as well, be sure to watch the touring doc he did on them “Flight 666”.

Unrelated note: I have a metal head coworker who is trying to introduce me to all these newer metal groups, but most of it comes across as very dark and not particularly beginner-friendly. The one band he keeps insisting is the best out there right now is Deafheaven. I've given their "Sunbather" album a listen and it's very challenging for me to get into it.

3) Are these guys generally considered a top-tier group right now, or is my coworker crazy?

I won't pretend to have a grasp on the genre, but based on ShaneB's recommendations I think I gravitate more towards classic heavy metal stuff. I also really like bass-heavy stuff, so Motorhead is next on my list to really check out.

Like I mentioned, he sure gave you a bizarre list of bands to think they’d get you into metal. Also, try not to get too hung up on genre speak yet, because unless you're familiar with the basics, the depth of metal genres is baffling, and often times you can make up a genre on the spot if you feel a band fits into one aspect, while someone might think something else. Just get use to finding bands you like first and build from there.

1. Wiki says Deafheaven is an American black metal band that formed in 2010’. And that sounds about right from what I listened to briefly and I think that it what I mentioned to you. I’m not a big black metal fan, so *shrug*
2. Nah, not really. The same can be said for lots of metal, and an argument people will commonly say “Oh I can’t understand what they’re saying!! (also lingo meaning they''re only looking at a vocal melody and can't understand the depth of music, because hell even some pop music I can't make out every single word!)” Well that’s why lyric sheets exist, and there’s more to metal than the ability to clearly understand each syllable.
3. I have no idea. But I think your coworker is crazy. :p

But yeah, go ahead and explore, every music service these days has recommendations, so listen and keep listening. Get familiar with those classics! When we chat next I’d love to do a listening session on Iron Maiden!

The eternal winter this year has pretty much kept Likferd in the car for months. Martyrium in particular just becomes more and more of a masterpiece each time I hear it. There are very few bands that have achieved anything close to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRy9tIPObAE

That song is in a class of it's own.

Fagning is up there as well. The second half of the song in particular... I don't know if there ever has been or ever will be a band that can write such sophisticated, personal metal, heavy and delicate at the same time. The melodies are so expertly written and played, they make most everything else seems like kids' stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2cdnJGkpQ

Thankfully we still have Mistur and Cor Scorpii to keep the sound alive.

Ravager61

1) They are basically Shoegaze + Black Metal. Not really a hard name for the genre now but they incorporate a lot of non-metal influences in their sound.
2) No. Same for most metal with harsh vocals. Listen and read along if you care about the lyrics.
3) Deafheaven has a huge stigma in a lot of metal circles (and with a few people here) because of how "non-metal" they are. The band has a lot of crossover appeal because of all their non-metal influences and the "true" guys like to talk shit about them because of this. I would say they are a top tier indie band, not a top tier metal band simply for the fact that they have so many detractors in the metal community. Don't let that phase you though. They are a fucking awesome band and Subather is amazing.

sgjackson

I don't remember if I've posted this before, but I disliked Sunbather solely because I thought it wasn't great and think that a handful of other bands do what Deafheaven does in a more interesting way. It's weird because if you described Sunbather to me it sounds totally up my alley.

This is similar to how I dislike Revocation and Watain even though on paper "technical thrash" and "Dissection-influenced black metal" done reasonably well should put them among my favorite bands.

I've tried so hard to get into Sunbather the past few months. I've read countless times about how brilliant the album is, and how it pushes metal forward in a way that hasn't been accomplished in a long time.

I just... don't like it. Every time I throw it on I can't help but think about how there are a thousand other albums that I'd rather be listening to. It's almost frustrating, because I want to enjoy it to see what all of the hype is about, but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.

I've tried so hard to get into Sunbather the past few months. I've read countless times about how brilliant the album is, and how it pushes metal forward in a way that hasn't been accomplished in a long time.

I just... don't like it. Every time I throw it on I can't help but think about how there are a thousand other albums that I'd rather be listening to. It's almost frustrating, because I want to enjoy it to see what all of the hype is about, but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.

It's above average post rock with cheesy core screaming. It's not terrible, but you're not missing out on anything.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking whatever is left of Nasum, man. They put 45 of 100 pieces of their Domedagen 20th anniversary EP on sale on their homepage, and then set the maximum amount per customer at fucking 3.
How do I mailorder ¯\(°_o)/¯

Well, at least you can say you tried, I've tried to "force" myself to like albums before and it never, ever works out. Personally, I think Sunbather is a masterpiece and seeing the whole thing played live was nothing short of magical
(that was also my first show on acid lol)
, but if it's not clicking, oh well, music is about enjoyment, not understanding hype; just listen to what you like and maybe give Sunbather another chance a year down the road.

It's above average post rock with cheesy core screaming. It's not terrible, but you're not missing out on anything.

Yeah, the vocals in particular are grating to me. Not that I dislike harsh vocals in general (obviously, I'm in the metal thread ffs), but something with Deafhaven's lead singer makes me wish I were pounding nails into my ears instead of hearing his pipes.

I'll just leave this here

periodic-table-of-metal.jpg
My top three favorite bands are all on here (Blind Guardian, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden), but it's hard to give it a pass on the fact that it has Twisted Sister, Korn, and freaking Lumpy Bizquik. What the heck kind of schizophrenic compiled that list?

Well, at least you can say you tried, I've tried to "force" myself to like albums before and it never, ever works out. Personally, I think Sunbather is a masterpiece and seeing the whole thing played live was nothing short of magical
(that was also my first show on acid lol)
, but if it's not clicking, oh well, music is about enjoyment, not understanding hype; just listen to what you like and maybe give Sunbather another chance a year down the road.
I've worked really hard to get to a point in my musical tastes where I can appreciate quality music whether I subjectively enjoy it or not, which is why I don't like that I can't understand the appeal of this album.

I'm sure if I saw that concert with you in your same state of mind though, I'd be a lifelong fan of the band :p

Yeah, I'll try spinning it again down the road and see if I connect with it when I'm in a different stage of the metal path of enlightenment.

That's been my experience with Sunbather as well. I wanted to get what everyone was all hyped up over but, I got nothing from it. I've listened to it but, I just can't get into it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Sunbather is a great atmospheric black metal album, and a major step up from Roads to Judah, which wasn't half bad itself. Thing with the album is, it really drew in a huge, non-metal affiliated audience, due to marketing, due to it being good, and due to it being hyped up mostly by the new audience it gathered, and maybe groundbreakingly so (I mean, a lot more than Wolves in the Throne Room for example, remember when everyone and their mom was into them?). Like with basically everything music out there, not everyone is gonna like it, but now a lot of people that don't necessarily listen to that kind of music tell you that you should like it ("hey you like the metal, those vocals are metal, no?"). I guess that is why some - and to an extend me too - are at a loss with it.
I think it's good though.

Edit: I'm sure the album was discussed to hell and back in the last thread, so most probably this has been stated before. Whoever stated it, you're my statement-bro o/\o

Since you’ll eventually go through Iron Maiden’s work as well, be sure to watch the touring doc he did on them “Flight 666”.

They're coming up soon, maybe even this evening depending on how busy I get.

1) They are basically Shoegaze + Black Metal. Not really a hard name for the genre now but they incorporate a lot of non-metal influences in their sound.

Now that you mention it, I definitely hear the fuzzy shoegazer stuff in it. Kind of a metal version of My Bloody Valentine, with equally incomprehensible lyrics (only screaming instead of buried under fuzz). I'm not sure I like that combination.

My top three favorite bands are all on here (Blind Guardian, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden), but it's hard to give it a pass on the fact that it has Twisted Sister, Korn, and freaking Lumpy Bizquik. What the heck kind of schizophrenic compiled that list?

Twisted Sister? I thought they were actually pretty good for a "Hair band". Besides, Snider hates being associated with the genre.

I agree about Korn and fucking Limp Bizkit, though. You also forgot Slipknot.

Regardless, thumbs up for the Led Zeppelin shout out. As far as Hard Rock goes, Zep will always be at the top.

Regardless, thumbs up for the Led Zeppelin shout out. As far as Hard Rock goes, Zep will always be at the top.

Are Led Zeppelin considered metalish? I've always just considered them a bluesy rock band. Listening to the Black Sabbath catalogue has me wondering some, too, since a lot of it just sounds like what we used to call "rock." It's stellar, I just struggle to categorize those bands.

Also, LOVING Motorhead so far. That freaking grumbling bass and those vocals are a-okay in my book.

Are Led Zeppelin considered metalish? I've always just considered them a bluesy rock band. Listening to the Black Sabbath catalogue has me wondering some, too, since a lot of it just sounds like what we used to call "rock." It's stellar, I just struggle to categorize those bands.

I've always considered Zeppelin to be a hard rock band, despite having an influence on Metal. A band being a influence on a particular genre does not mean that band is part of the genre themselves.

Another good example of this is Hardcore Punk's influence on Thrash Metal. Despite Black Flag and the like having a big influence on Slayer, Black Flag are not a Metal band (and Slayer are not a Hardcore Punk band).

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a black metal album. It's tough to say that without a little bit of genre elitism, but really, that isn't black metal. It's post rock with minimal bm elements here and there. It's not even that atmospheric.
I know where you're coming from, and was trying to avoid "post-black metal". But I guess it's really just that. Not gonna settle on post-rock ;)
And yeah, as much as I hate the genre-wankery, it can help a bit. To me, Wolves in the Throne Room are the epitome of "atmospheric black metal", and I still see Deafheaven very close to them.

i'd argue the most influential member of Led in the metal scene was Plant, as his high note vocal style was pretty much copied by Halford whom in turn inspired all of the scene in the late 70s/early 80s.

I know where you're coming from, and was trying to avoid "post-black metal". But I guess it's really just that. Not gonna settle on post-rock ;)
And yeah, as much as I hate the genre-wankery, it can help a bit. To me, Wolves in the Throne Room are the epitome of "atmospheric black metal", and I still see Deafheaven very close to them.

It's a vague descriptor these days, for sure. It's gone in a lot of directions. I hear flat out post rock when I hear Deafheaven, though. I don't like that sound at all, and they press all of those buttons. Then again, I don't get into WitTR, but love a lot of atmospheric BM (e.g. Summoning and The Ruins of Beverast).

Twisted Sister? I thought they were actually pretty good for a "Hair band". Besides, Snider hates being associated with the genre.

I agree about Korn and fucking Limp Bizkit, though. You also forgot Slipknot.

Twisted Sister isn't as bad as some of the other bands on that table, and Dee will always be a badass to me for his court room deposition over the stupid music censoring debacle way back in the day, but I don't know if anyone would consider them "true metal"*

*As an aside, I'm starting to hate how inherently elitist that term sounds. I still use it though because it's the easiest way to classify the spirit of the music I listen to

I consider a lot of bands metal that other people may not... Zep and Rush being two notable examples. My personal definition of "true metal" is primarily about the philosophy behind the music. Passion mixed with strength of self and aggressive energy.

Also Led Zeppelin invented Viking Metal. This is my absolute favorite version of the song, because Page's solo at the end (starts at 2:24) is so freaking badass and should be on the studio version.

That video is also great because it's Zep at their peak... after they had already reached legend status but before they let it get to their head and started coking up before shows and dressing like Turkish princesses

How about blackgaze ;)
I also consider Deafheaven to have quite some similarities with WitTR. Which is logical, as WitTR plays a brand of atmospheric BM with post-rock influences (or at least a post-rock feel for a lack of a better word). If you'd take WitTR more into the post-rock direction, I guess you'd get something like Sunbather.
But as Wolfgunblood said, atmospheric BM can be rather broad (like the genre itself, thats why I love it). It encompasses the likes of WitTR, Burzum, Summoning, Ruins of Beverast and Blut Aus Nord. To be honest, I was quite sick of the whole post-rock/shoegaze popping up everywhere in atmospheric black metal a couple of years back. I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed Sunbather last year, as I didn't care for their debut.

Twisted Sister isn't as bad as some of the other bands on that table, and Dee will always be a badass to me for his court room deposition over the stupid music censoring debacle way back in the day, but I don't know if anyone would consider them "true metal"*

Ha ha, yeah. I remember reading up and studying on the whole PMRC debacle (I obviously wasn't old enough to remember the 80's since I wasn't even born), and Snider's case video was awesome. I loved watching how he just owns Gore and puts her in her place.

I wonder what it was like living throughout that whole thing. The general perception of Metal must have been very interesting.

Top Bottom