• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC is to vote on net neutrality

Thanati

It's that time of the year again, when we need as many able bodied people as always.

The FCC is about to vote on removing net neutrality!

If you live in the US and have the time, call your member of congress and demand the internet remains free and neutral for all, otherwise they're going to try and pass a vote where you can kiss that sweet, net neutrality and freedom away.

Come on guys, let's help do this!

Thanati

FUCK the FCC.

Yup, pretty much!

But they're going to try and do this! trump and his cronies want to remove the net neutrality. This will not only give them the ability to charge for simply using the internet (imagine having to pay an additional charge on what you pay to download a day one update for example) but it also gives them the opportunity for monitoring and control.

Thanati

That’s a great question. I suppose it can’t help that everyone tries :)

But the net has to stay free! Purely from a gaming perspective, having to add additional charges to your internet plan just to download some patch etc. It’s a nightmare!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm against net neutrality. Government needs to stop regulating everything.

Regulations protect you and the things you rely on. Why this has become such a difficult concept for right-wingers to wrap their heads around I have no idea. Government regulation is exactly the only thing keeps health insurance companies from denying you coverage for the sole purpose of earning shareholders more money. Is that something you realize? Do you even care, or do you automatically write it of as evil because "the government"? It doesn't take a fucking genius to see what the ISPs are set to do once they're allowed to nickel and dime consumers any way they see fit and the effect it will have on the Internet. "Net neutrality" doesn't regulate the internet, it regulates the internet service providers. I guess right-wingers don't care what happens or what is destroyed and corrupted so long as it's done my monopolies and legalized cartels in the name of unregulated free-market profit seeking. Actual, literal cartels will have free reign over one of the most important infrastructures our society relies on and you don't give a shit because "the guvment". What visionaries you people are.

Regulations protect you and the things you rely on. Why this has become such a difficult concept for right-wingers to wrap their heads around I have no idea. Government regulation is exactly the only thing keeps health insurance companies from denying you coverage for the sole purpose of earning shareholders more money. Is that something you realize? Do you even care, or do you automatically write it of as evil because "the government"? It doesn't take a fucking genius to see what the ISPs are set to do once they're allowed to nickel and dime consumers any way they see fit and the effect it will have on the Internet. "Net neutrality" doesn't regulate the internet, it regulates the internet service providers. I guess right-wingers don't care what happens or what is destroyed and corrupted so long as it's done my monopolies and legalized cartels in the name of unregulated free-market profit seeking. Actual, literal cartels will have free reign over one of the most important infrastructures our society relies on and you don't give a shit because "the guvment". What visionaries you people are.

Lots of talk with little substance. The government doesn’t need to regulate everything.

Blood Borne

Hilarious. Absolutely false.

Regulations doesn't protect anyone. Regulations is just government expanding its power on citizens in the guise of 'caring' and 'fairness'.

Net neutrality in other words, is forced collusion/oligarchy. This is how government is always responsible for high barrier to entry and monopoly. By forcing ISP to provide the exact same service, it will encourage them to merge and form a super corporation and mist importantly, it's eliminating competition. Without net neutrality, a small start up company can enter the business and say "hey, join us because we don't charge you more for connecting to this network, or we don't slow down your Internet speed unlike company X". But with net neutrality, a small company can't distinguish themselves, only through price and they definitely can't compete with big corporations on price, so in other words, government has created a monopoly.

But hey, continue to believe in government, that they love you so much and care about how you feel. They want just want to expand their power on citizens and use this avenue as a way to regulate what content we the people can consume. But don't take my word for it, please keep on worshipping government.

Anything that eliminates or impinges on competition is terrible.

I wonder what the right does understand these days. A dude says net neutrality is a dumb concept, but doesnt think about how far it has gotten us so far, and what companies plan on doing without it.

Euphor!a

Banned

Regulations doesn't protect anyone. Regulations is just government expanding its power on citizens in the guise of 'caring' and 'fairness'.

Net neutrality in other words, is forced collusion/oligarchy. This is how government is always responsible for high barrier to entry and monopoly. By forcing ISP to provide the exact same service, it will encourage them to merge and form a super corporation and mist importantly, it's eliminating competition. Without net neutrality, a small start up company can enter the business and say "hey, join us because we don't charge you more for connecting to this network, or we don't slow down your Internet speed unlike company X". But with net neutrality, a small company can't distinguish themselves, only through price and they definitely can't compete with big corporations on price, so in other words, government has created a monopoly.

But hey, continue to believe in government, that they love you so much and care about how you feel. They want just want to expand their power on citizens and use this avenue as a way to regulate what content we the people can consume. But don't take my word for it, please keep on worshipping government.

Yes please, everyone, I am begging you, do not take this guy's word for it.

LOL

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

This is patently absurd. How is a smaller ISP going to compete when with no net neutrality the major backbones can just throttle their traffic at whim if they actually offer serious competition?

Euphor!a

Banned
This is patently absurd. How is a smaller ISP going to compete when with no net neutrality the major backbones can just throttle their traffic at whim if they actually offer serious competition?

Didn't you read the part where these small startups are going to lay down new cabling across the entire country?

Amory

None of this makes any sense.

golfham

xmet35ppuqsy.png

rokkerkory

Russia is that you?

nemoral

Banned
You can tell the moron Trumpistas by seeing which of them want to hand freedom of speech over entirely to corporations. The same fucking idiots that whine when they get tossed off Twitter want the entire internet, as well as who can browse it, decided by people with absolutely no responsibility to the people.

And you thought they couldn't get any dumber than voting for Trump.

ape2man

Thank God, NN was a terrible concept.

Why? US has anti monopoly abuse laws, This law is the same by treating everything the same no company can bully out the competition by outspending them on special services.

So lets say all cable companies start there own streaming service. And give priority internet speed to there service. Now netflix is slow as hell and is being sabotaged by the cable companies. Without net neutrality this would be 100% legal.

Think about it,

demon

You are frighteningly delusional about both what government does for you and about this fantasy scenario you've concocted in which all these small companies across the country start their own ISPs through some magical freemarketness. Quite frankly it's disgusting how easily people like you will dismiss the protections the government gives you from some of the absolute horrors corporations would inflict upon you if they had free reign and weren't restrained by laws, while simultaneously enjoying those very protections even if you're too blinded by fanaticism to be able to acknowledge them.

Mesousa

Banned
Why? US has anti monopoly abuse laws, This law is the same by treating everything the same no company can bully out the competition by outspending them on special services.

So lets say all cable companies start there own streaming service. And give priority internet speed to there service. Now netflix is slow as hell and is being sabotaged by the cable companies. Without net neutrality this would be 100% legal.

Think about it,

In capitalism wouldnt a new company, who doesnt discriminate based on site, come in and steal the customers of the company which does?

demon

In capitalism wouldnt a new company, who doesnt discriminate based on site, come in and steal the customers of the company which does?

Assuming a whole bunch of oversimplified ideal scenarios which don't apply to reality, sure.

ape2man

I think i'm misreading what you are trying to say here.

In a world without Net neutrality, amazon could outspend and destroy netflix, not with a better quality product but by killing the connection to netflix.

Mesousa

Banned
Assuming a whole bunch of oversimplified ideal scenarios which don't apply to reality, sure.

lol well how the system is supposed to work.

I think i'm misreading what you are trying to say here.

In a world without Net neutrality, amazon could outspend and destroy netflix, not with a better quality product but by killing the connection to netflix.

This couldnt happen because consumers, who use and love Netflix, wouldnt allow that to happen to a superior product.
Outrage would be so big that Amazon would have to walk it back, or they would lose to a competitor who has fast netflix.

Blood Borne

lol well how the system is supposed to work.

This couldnt happen because consumers, who use and love Netflix, wouldnt allow that to happen to a superior product.
Outrage would be so big that Amazon would have to walk it back, or they would lose to a competitor who has fast netflix.

Absolutely. Amazing how common sense eludes some people. They've been conditioned to believe that they need the government for everything, unaware that government is usually the problem and not the solution.

goldenpp72

Absolutely. Amazing how common sense eludes some people. They've been conditioned to believe that they need the government for everything, unaware that government is usually the problem and not the solution.

Yes consumers are always so savvy to protect their best interest, all the time.

Euphor!a

Banned

If there was no net neutrality, there would be no netflix. Or netflix would cost significantly more to access. I feel like you people aren't paying attention. Have you not read news story after news story about how ISPs are trying to throttle Netflix? Guess what, without net neutrality that is exactly what happens or, you pay your ISP a large fee to not be throttled.

Mesousa

Banned
If there was no net neutrality, there would be no netflix. Or netflix would cost significantly more to access. I feel like you people aren't paying attention. Have you not read news story after news story about how ISPs are trying to throttle Netflix? Guess what, without net neutrality that is exactly what happens or, you pay your ISP a large fee to not be throttled.

How much would you, hypothetically, be willing to pay for Netflix?

Blood Borne

And a competitor will offer a smaller fee to steal customers. Net neutrality stifles competition and also gives government more access to our activity. It's all about government expansion.

Mesousa

Banned
Just make your point, which is almost assuredly incorrect.

Not anymore incorrect than your assertion that the general public is stupid and needs protecting from a nanny state.

If a company throttles Netflix, another company which don't will steal their customers.

Euphor!a

Banned
And a competitor will offer a smaller fee to steal customers. Net neutrality stifles competition and also gives government more access to our activity. It's all about government expansion.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

3 strikes and you are out. Better luck next time.

Euphor!a

Banned
Not anymore incorrect than your assertion that the general public is stupid and needs protecting from a nanny state.

If a company throttles Netflix, another company which don't will steal their customers.

I always love how everyone against net neutrality believes in this mythical benevolent ISP that is going to rise up and be the ISP of the people.

Blood Borne

I'm saying consumers are generally stupid and you are a general consumer.
Hahaha. There it is.

This is the core belief, the main tenet, the idea that fuels a leftist ideology. "I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU".

This is why socialism/communism will always end in dictatorship. The same mentality all those leftist dictators had, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Castro, etc. People are stupid, I know what's best for them.

You're a totalitarian and you don't even know it.

Mesousa

Banned
I always love how everyone against net neutrality believes in this mythical benevolent ISP that is going to rise up and be the ISP of the people.

Nothing benevolent about it. The new ISP would be in it for the money, just like the old one. They will just spot a weakness in their competitor, and they will seize upon the opportunity.

Euphor!a

Banned
Hahaha. There it is.

This is the core belief, the main tenet, the idea that fuels a leftist ideology. "I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU".

This is why socialism/communism will always end in dictatorship. The same mentality all those leftist dictators had, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Castro, etc. People are stupid, I know what's best for them.

You're a totalitarian and you don't even know it.

It took you long enough to invoke Hitler, isn't that the conservative poster boy these days?

Euphor!a

Banned
Nothing benevolent about it. The new ISP would be in it for the money, just like the old one. They will just spot a weakness in their competitor, and they will seize upon the opportunity.

How many options for ISP do you think the average American has. Spoilers, it is like 2, maybe. This dogfight for customers that you imagine in the ISP space does not exist and will never exist.

Blood Borne

You're wasting your time explaining how free markets and competition works to that poster. That person believes in authoritarianism and believes everything should be regulated.

Top Bottom