• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the idea of marijuana taxes being tied to inflation. Sin taxes are generally pretty high to begin with and controlling the tax rate is what's going to keep it cheaper than what you can get on the street.

mdubs

Banned
I'm glad they didn't privatize airports. That would have been so stupid and regrettable and I'm sad that I even have to congratulate them for not doing that

Pedrito

Where was the rumor about selling airports coming from? I think the same thing happened last year also. The opposition freaked out for a week or two and then nothing happened.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/most-canadians-favour-values-test-for-immigrants-while-23-per-cent-think-muslims-should-be-banned-poll

Some European countries have something equivalent to a values test in many ways, just as part of a citizenship process rather than immigration, so it's not exactly something new. The thinking of the vast majority of those survey takers, and possibly a rather large portion of Canadians, is that if you were to somehow fail that test, you likely have very strong feelings against some socially liberal value that most Canadians hold, which gives the idea of that sort of test much broader appeal across ethnic and age groups than you may expect if you didn't bother to ask Canadians.

I find it hard to believe the number is anywhere near 74 percent but as we all know you only need 35-40 percent of voters to win a general election.

I just read a shitty book by a UBC prof called the new politics of immigration and the end of settler societies, anyways in chapter 5 she goes over how our citizenship has already gotten for more stingent through harper and already tests for liberal values. I have no idea what cons want since they already basically have it.

Also hows Raitt? surprised o toole is doing so poorly and that chong was more prefered for first pick

So...the BC Conservatives are pretty fucking stupid.

C7iqZw4VAAAy7K3.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/keithvass/status/844612945690607616

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't like the idea of marijuana taxes being tied to inflation. Sin taxes are generally pretty high to begin with and controlling the tax rate is what's going to keep it cheaper than what you can get on the street.

If your concern is an illegal market, at least early on, well that's a big concern.

But in general sin taxes should be high, the stuff they deal with has an enormous toll on public services.

Tiktaalik

So the budget massively inflates the deficit with no plan on how to eventually balance the books.

This galvanizes the opposition and the benefits to their base don't seem that clear.

Uhhh good luck next election dudes.

*I'm going to put on my Chrétien-Martin hat for a minute:

the Trudeau goverment better watch their ass because the Conservatives are going reign in HARD on them by 2019 if they don't clean up their massive spending for nothing.

if you are going to spend, have something worthy to show for it.
Perceptions matter, results matter.

This budget re-enforces the stereotype of Tax & Spend Liberals which hurts the long term Liberal cause.

*Removes my Chrétien-Martin hat.

So the budget massively inflates the deficit with no plan on how to eventually balance the books.

This galvanizes the opposition and the benefits to their base don't seem that clear.

Uhhh good luck next election dudes.

At this point they are just placing all their bets on Marijuana Legalization and hoping everyone forgets about every other broken promise and spending decision in the process.

SRG01

Ehhh, I'll wait until September with the Fall Update before making any judgments. It's clear that they're waiting to see what happens with Trump and the US economy before announcing any big policies/spending items.

pr0cs

At this point they are just placing all their bets on Marijuana Legalization .
This will never happen either. They will say it's too complicated and some bullshit about pressure from the USA making it too difficult.
Either way it won't be legalized

This will never happen either. They will say it's too complicated and some bullshit about pressure from the USA making it too difficult.
Either way it won't be legalized

If Trudeau doesn't legalize weed, he's not getting reelected. He lost a lot of good faith with the election reform fiasco, Harper is gone, and "conservative fatigue" will have mostly left the electors by the next elections. Disrespecting his promise to legalize marijuana would be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and the conservatives would have a major shot at coming back to power.

Tiktaalik

Going from a classic Liberal playbook marijuana legalization is probably being held up to be the big promise to dangle in front of millenials for the 2019 election. I'd be surprised if it happens before then.

In this budget the Liberals got spooked away from reducing tax expenditures on the rich because of Trump. What are the odds that they'll go ahead with something even more ambitious like marijuana legalization?

maharg

idspispopd
Eh. Trudeau can break a lot of promises and the next election is still his to lose. One term governments are pretty rare in Canadian politics. People tend to give a second chance.

Also, the CPC is probably going to end up with someone people aren't going to like very much and the NDP will almost certainly be running someone relatively unknown. It would take an epic scandal to bring down the Liberals, not broken promises.

In other news, there's filibustering happening at the PROC committee over what's apparently a massive set of changes to House rules. Kady O'Malley's been livetweeting it for the last couple of days. Sadly her articles on the subject are on ipolitics so are hard paywalled. :/

CazTGG

REMINDER: There are only 5 days left to join the CPC and stop Leitch/O'Leary from becoming the party's leader: http://www.conservative.ca/our-party/leadership-2017/

You can join via the official website or through any of the candidates to avoid the usual spam: https://donate.conservative.ca/membership

RE TruDOOMED 2019: As I mentioned before, a lot of the resurging interest in the Conservative Party stems from Ontario, and that interest comes more from hatred of the provincial government than any mistake on the Trudeau government outside of maybe answering a question in French when said question was in English. This budget isn't great and seems to be waiting on any possible NAFTA/US-Canada trade negotiations/45's administration collapsing from sheer incompetency or Stupid Watergate™. Either way, it's way too early to say how 2019 will play out.

RE Legalization: They announced their plans for marijuana legalization on 4/20 last year. You don't announce that policy on that day if you're not serious about pushing that through unless you literally have no idea what that day is.

EDIT: M-103 has passed (201-91) and is a record vote so we'll know who exactly decided to cry "freeze peach" over acknowledging the rise of Islamophobia in Canada.

Pancake Mix

2019 will be interesting, more than usual.

RE TruDOOMED 2019: As I mentioned before, a lot of the resurging interest in the Conservative Party stems from Ontario, and that interest comes more from hatred of the provincial government than any mistake on the Trudeau government outside of maybe answering a question in French when said question was in English. etc...

Not just Ontario.

Not sure how the NDP retain that many seats in Quebec or British Columbia at this point. They actually gained seats in the latter (more seats up for grabs I guess). Neither of those provinces are particularly pro-Liberal in almost any federal election. Ontario is actually far, far more likely to give most of their seats to the Liberals than those two in general.

Good time to link a map. This is 2015, which is outside the norm. The Liberals did extremely well in Canada's three most populous provinces: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia. Doesn't matter if the Liberals remain strong in Atlantic Canada, they need some combination of Ontario and Quebec. Atlantic Canada doesn't have enough seats, nor does any Western province, but one of Ontario or Quebec changing is significant enough in FPTP to change who wins, very, very easily if it's combined with a change somewhere else, even if the Liberals still remain strong in one of those two provinces and Atlantic Canada.

Just about any seats the Liberals have gained in Ontario are risky, and the NDP has a good number of marginal seats nationwide that could swing any which way. If those areas swing Tory, things could change even if the Liberals remain a bit stronger than that in Quebec. A moderate change in Ontario combined with a big change elsewhere is enough with first-past-the-post for a Tory majority.

The NDP are by far the most marginal, however. They're very lucky the election happened when it did because their vote total concentrated to win a fair amount of marginal seats. They could have won half of what they won if their vote total was only slightly less concentrated. If those seats were to go Tory instead of Liberal, then that'd be a big change. Often in Western Canada of late it has been NDP and Tory to boot, with the Liberals running third.

Krammy

Just wanted to say how disheartening it was to see the hyperbole and racism being thrown around in the #M103 tag on Twitter. I know it's too be expected on on social media, and a lot of it probably comes from bots or people who aren't even Canadian, but there's a significant amount more hatred than you normally see in these kinds of tags. Just felt I had to vent about that.

On the topic of M-103, as an Ontarian, I feel like I should apologize for our MP who abstained from the vote.

CazTGG

Fixed.

Seriously, he went after Arlene Dickinson and said she was "being emotional" as a response to her saying Kevin shouldn't be running the country, let alone a country (while still saying she'd like to have a beer with him) in addition to his attacks on the women premiers of Canada (he's gone after Wynne and Notley multiple times now) save for Christy Clark. He really wants to be Canada's Trump.

bremon

Federal candidates should stick to Federal issues
Especially when there isn't even the pretense of cooperation. "Do what I ask, because I'm not actually asking and will force you to do what I ask".

Ok Kevin, keep beating that drum all the way back to Boston. Asshole.

Pancake Mix

a lot of it probably comes from bots or people who aren't even Canadian

HaNx24m.png

I don't see how that's likely. Canadian politics is really only interesting or relevant to Canadians, it's not those of a superpower. People in other countries aren't going to care or understand what a motion in Canadian parliament is, and it's not like it was trending worldwide.

Nah, it's Canadians... and bots.

Pedrito

Just wanted to say how disheartening it was to see the hyperbole and racism being thrown around in the #M103 tag on Twitter. I know it's too be expected on on social media, and a lot of it probably comes from bots or people who aren't even Canadian, but there's a significant amount more hatred than you normally see in these kinds of tags. Just felt I had to vent about that.

On the topic of M-103, as an Ontarian, I feel like I should apologize for our MP who abstained from the vote.

The r/canada thread on that is a riot. So many people pretending they voted for the Liberals, but "never again". Same playbook from the "I used to be a progressive Bernie supporter, but because of these damn feminists, I've seen the light. MAGA!"

Also, I love that after three weeks of hysteria over this, so many are still calling this symbolic motion "a bill". As if they don't know already.

Sibylus

Banned
HaNx24m.png

I don't see how that's likely. Canadian politics is really only interesting or relevant to Canadians, it's not those of a superpower. People in other countries aren't going to care or understand what a motion in Canadian parliament is, and it's not like it was trending worldwide.

Nah, it's Canadians... and bots.

There's certainly legitimate nativism alive and well in Canada, but at the same there are those looking to whip up such sentiments into a frenzy because of our strategic proximity. Ya'll need to wake up to the terrifying digital future we live in.

Pancake Mix

There's certainly legitimate nativism alive and well in Canada, but at the same there are those looking to whip up such sentiments into a frenzy because of our strategic proximity. Ya'll need to wake up to the terrifying digital future we live in.

You mean Russia?

I guess that's possible but it just looked like real people and the usual bots to me. Doubt very many foreigners heard about it, and let's be honest, they don't need to do much to change people's opinions.

And yet, the Angus Reid poll finds that three in 10 of those surveyed believed Khalid's motion is, in fact, ”a threat to Canadians' freedom of speech."

Angus Reid found male survey respondents strongly disapproved of M-103 while female survey respondents were split. Among men, 50 per cent would vote down M-103 while 27 per cent would vote in favour. Among women, 34 per cent would vote to reject, 31 per cent would vote in favour and 36 per cent were unsure or would abstain.

The pollster ran the online survey from March 13 to March 17. A margin of error could not be calculated because the survey participants were not drawn from a random sample. That said, a random sample of 1,511 Canadian adults would produce a margin of error of 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/mps-certain-to-pass-m-103-thursday-but-new-poll-says-canadians-would-vote-down-anti-islamophobia-motion

The motion may have just helped the Tories, in fact.

maharg

idspispopd
You mean Russia?

I guess that's possible but it just looked like real people and the usual bots to me. Doubt very many foreigners heard about it, and let's be honest, they don't need to do much to change people's opinions.

RT and its minions are definitely out there in Canada, posting about Canadian things. And that's how they do it, they make it look like local content. I don't think this is even really a conspiracy theory, it's just a thing that is.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Going from a classic Liberal playbook marijuana legalization is probably being held up to be the big promise to dangle in front of millenials for the 2019 election. I'd be surprised if it happens before then.

In this budget the Liberals got spooked away from reducing tax expenditures on the rich because of Trump. What are the odds that they'll go ahead with something even more ambitious like marijuana legalization?

Legalization has to come before that so they can point to the tax revenues.

Sibylus

Banned
You mean Russia?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/mps-certain-to-pass-m-103-thursday-but-new-poll-says-canadians-would-vote-down-anti-islamophobia-motion

The motion may have just helped the Tories, in fact.

It's more than possible. The existence of professional "troll" outlets under the employ of the Kremlin has been reported on in the press for some time now. They're active all over the western world (particularly those with national elections and radical candidates to back), and I would suspect the world over.

Ondore

Just bit the bullet and got my membership in for the CPC race. Luckily, I'm in that part of the country O'Leary hates - no, the other one - so my voice will mean a bit more.

Pancake Mix

Just bit the bullet and got my membership in for the CPC race. Luckily, I'm in that part of the country O'Leary hates - no, the other one - so my voice will mean a bit more.

He seems to dislike every part that isn't Ontario or the West Island of Montreal, so I believe you.

CazTGG

I agree that she needs to go, I can't imagine a scenario where the Liberals form government after next election anyways, but might as well try and keep the PCs at a minority.

At this point, it's more likely that the NDP will form a government courtesy of the PCs screwing up (again) than it is for Wynne to do so. She needs to step down or she will end up handing the PCs a majority.

Speaking of elections, isn't there supposed to be a provincial one in B.C. this May? How are things shaping up for that one?

It's more than possible. The existence of professional "troll" outlets under the employ of the Kremlin has been reported on in the press for some time now. They're active all over the western world (particularly those with national elections and radical candidates to back), and I would suspect the world over.

There was a disinformation campaign against Freeland by Russia not too long ago and I suspect there will be more attempts to discredit/attack other MPs in the future. This is a common technique Putin's Russia loves to pull on any potential political opponent in addition to legally barring the opposition from running in his country. His government will do anything to discredit/undermine democracy as viable in a modern society.

mo60

At this point, it's more likely that the NDP will form a government courtesy of the PCs screwing up (again) than it is for Wynne to do so. She needs to step down or she will end up handing the PCs a majority.

Speaking of elections, isn't there supposed to be a provincial one in B.C. this May? How are things shaping up for that one?

The BC NDP the last time I checked was in the lead by a few points in polls.

the weirdest thing about Canadian elections and Provincial too is how a short election windows can cause momentum to quickly turn two weeks before voting day with unexepected results.

you can have a party poll ahead for weeks or months prior an election, then bam election campaign gets launched, bumps get hit on the road, voters become weird and start changing their minds based on only what happened during the campaign month instead of everything that happened for the last 2 or 4 years

Tiktaalik

The BC NDP have a great set of policies (end union and corporate donations, end Medical Service Plan fees completely, $10 a day universal childcare, funding public transit) whereas the Liberals are under severe criticism for their poor handling of the housing situation in Metro Vancouver, their total failure to create an LNG industry (which they promised last election would create 100k jobs) and their sketchy approach to campaign finance.

The BC Liberals are largely out of ideas (they've been in power since 2001) and It should be the NDP's election to easily win, but the BC NDP are a terrible, incredibly incompetent political party so it'll be a miracle if the NDP can achieve a victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom