• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Somnia

Sooooo question on 4k and pro

How is streaming going to work with my Elgato? Will I be able to use it and still get 4k/hdr or will I have to get a few HDMI cords and swap constantly when I want to stream?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
KS8000 or KS8500? Given KS8500 is cheaper. Are they identical specs wise? If yes then shouldn't go for the curve?

I may as well post this here as well, given this is a specific KS8000 thread.

According to RTings.com, the Samsung KS8000 is capable of 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 chroma subsampling @ HDR results in 37.6 ms of input lag. Is this all achievable in game mode (which I assume must be on for the PS4 Pro)?

My next question, if the TV supports 120Hz refresh rate, I take it that its not capable with these modes enabled? Or does it not matter as games are 60fps and under on the PS4 Pro?

It does, but at 4k60hz 4:4:4 its límited to 8 bit, thus you're negating one of the befits of HDR. For HDR you want 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 as those support 10/12 bit, thus game mode. (By the way it's a HDMI 2.0 limitation, not the Samsung's).

Izuna

Banned
Not really. Warm is recommended for movies not games. Both warm and neutral are ok but neutral will show you how the colors were meant to look. Unless I'm crazy. lol

Happy to be proven wrong if I am.

edit. I am seeing different opinions on this all over the net.

I'm gonna try the warm setting

Movies, games, w/e

they are calibrated for 6500k

nikos

So should sharpness be 0 or close to 0

Anything above 0 is adding artificial sharpening. You can sharpen a bit, if you need to, but anything too high will cause artifacts.

The only exception is when the TV is in PC mode. In that case, default Sharpness should be at 50.

Why all the hate for Dynamic Contrast? I think it's necessary for HDR content as it's too dull without Dynamic Contrast.

For non-HDR content, I agree, it should be off.

BTW, what color space option is right for HDR content? I have it on Native as rtings but I read somewhere that after the latest update it has to be Auto. What is the correct setting for HDR now?

nikos

So I just picked up an XBOX One S. Anyone playing Forza Horizon 3 on this set? If so, how are you adjusting the in-game brightness and HDR brightness?

Box 1 is supposed to be "barely visible." To achieve this, I need to adjust the brightness, in game, to less than 30. I then turn the HDR brightness, also in-game, up until the Forza Horizon logo disappears.

That should be the right way of doing it, but it seems a bit too dark that way. Maybe I just need to get used to that. If I set the brightness so that I can still see Box 1, then adjust HDR brightness accordingly, it's brighter and looks a bit better. The contrast between darks and lights isn't as pronounced though.

HDR looks nice, but the game's IQ was cleaner at 1080p on my old TV. Upscaling just isn't as good as native resolution. I'm anticipating the PS4 Pro to be a lot cleaner.

zedge

Why all the hate for Dynamic Contrast? I think it's necessary for HDR content as it's too dull without Dynamic Contrast.

For non-HDR content, I agree, it should be off.

BTW, what color space option is right for HDR content? I have it on Native as rtings but I read somewhere that after the latest update it has to be Auto. What is the correct setting for HDR now?

I thought this too, but I tried no dynamic contrast and back light at 20. Looks much better imo. Just have to turn the back light down again when you go out of HDR which is a pain.

I also set color space to auto on my TV. Prefer it now.

Wallach

KS8000 or KS8500? Given KS8500 is cheaper. Are they identical specs wise? If yes then shouldn't go for the curve?

In this specific case it is almost entirely preference and price. Image quality wise there is no meaningful difference between the two sets. Not sure if you've ever seen a curved display that size in person before, and it may be worth going to a Best Buy or something to find one before you spend that kind of money on it. But the rtings review & tests show the two are pretty much the same TV across the board except for the curved display.

Symphonia

Banned
Sooooo question on 4k and pro

How is streaming going to work with my Elgato? Will I be able to use it and still get 4k/hdr or will I have to get a few HDMI cords and swap constantly when I want to stream?
I messaged them because I use the Elgato HD60S to record and stream. The device range at moment will not support 4K. You'll have to record at 1080p60. I believe they are working on an updated device, though.

julrik

KS8000 owners; how is the screen uniformity on your sets (clouding and light bleed), is the ghosting/blur as bad as some say, and how obvious is the judder issue?

I need a new TV to last me a couple of years, before going all out on a Panasonic OLED, and KS8000 is one of my options, along with LG B6.

So I just picked up an XBOX One S. Anyone playing Forza Horizon 3 on this set? If so, how are you adjusting the in-game brightness and HDR brightness?

Box 1 is supposed to be "barely visible." To achieve this, I need to adjust the brightness, in game, to less than 30. I then turn the HDR brightness, also in-game, up until the Forza Horizon logo disappears.

That should be the right way of doing it, but it seems a bit too dark that way. Maybe I just need to get used to that. If I set the brightness so that I can still see Box 1, then adjust HDR brightness accordingly, it's brighter and looks a bit better. The contrast between darks and lights isn't as pronounced though.

HDR looks nice, but the game's IQ was cleaner at 1080p on my old TV. Upscaling just isn't as good as native resolution. I'm anticipating the PS4 Pro to be a lot cleaner.

The brightness calibration in forza is bunk. I think I left it on default or just a few notches below default. Then adjusted HDR brightness accordingly.

nikos

The brightness calibration in forza is bunk. I think I left it on default or just a few notches below default. Then adjusted HDR brightness accordingly.
Thanks. Figured there was something wrong with it. I'll probably bring it down a few notches, then adjust HDR accordingly as well.

harz-marz

I keep hearing on this that dynamic contrast is a no no. Obviously not got my PS4 Pro but the only HDR game I have, Forza, looks far better with this at max.

And yes I have calibrated the brightness in game.

Will try turning it off when my Pro arrives to see if I prefer it.

I keep hearing on this that dynamic contrast is a no no. Obviously not got my PS4 Pro but the only HDR game I have, Forza, looks far better with this at max.

And yes I have calibrated the brightness in game.

Will try turning it off when my Pro arrives to see if I prefer it.

I really like it. Weird I like having sharpness at 50 and dynamic contrast to medium at least.

Have not tried hdr yet though.

pswii60

To my eyes,

having dynamic contrast ON while on HDR mode greatly improves the picture quality. I've read some of your post, and having it off just looks dull and dark.

anyway, i keep dynamic contrast on the medium setting, and i turn it off to watch sdr content.
The whole point of HDR is the wider range. Dynamic contrast simply compresses the range and in that case you might as well revert back to SDR.

Is that really true? I can't find anything about that online. Just turn it on? After it's on and I'm playing a PS4 game, is there a way to indicate if it's really in HDR mode?

If something uses HDR you'll see a pop up message on your TV letting you know it's on. You can't miss it.

McSpidey

Unlike movies, which must me mastered with fixed black and white points and are at the mercy of the TV tonemapper, games are real time rendered so these things can be changed at runtime with user facing controls. This unique flexibility is why games are a superior medium for HDR content.

That said it's only unrealized potential if devs or (preferably) the platforms don't actually implement user facing calibration controls. The disparity in responses to seeing HDR agrees with me that this the single most important HDR implementation aspect right now, especially while everything is still settling.

Geneijin

Unlike movies, which must me mastered with fixed black and white points and are at the mercy of the TV tonemapper, games are real time rendered so these things can be changed at runtime with user facing controls. This unique flexibility is why games are a superior medium for HDR content.

That said it's only unrealized potential if devs or (preferably) the platforms don't actually implement user facing calibration controls. The disparity in responses to seeing HDR agrees with me that this the single most important HDR implementation aspect right now, especially while everything is still settling.
Actually, we don't need more in-game CMS controls so much as HDR10 needs to hurry up and add in dynamic metadata like Dolby Vision does for this exact reason apparently. Problem is will we even get it in HDMI 2.1 or we looking at HDMI 3.0 and another year of obsolete TVs?

VertPin

If something uses HDR you'll see a pop up message on your TV letting you know it's on. You can't miss it.

So I suppose if I load up Ratchet and Clank a message will pop up in the upper right corner of my tv screen? As long as I turn on the HD UHD mode on?

Edit: it showed up. Thank you.

McSpidey

Actually, we don't need more in-game CMS controls so much as HDR10 needs to hurry up and add in dynamic metadata like Dolby Vision does for this exact reason apparently. Problem is will we even get it in HDMI 2.1 or we looking at HDMI 3.0 and another year of obsolete TVs?

Even with that, which will make things tons better, we'll still need in-game/platform controls to make up for TV compatibility/inadequacies, room brightness compensation and general personalisation.

Is this gonna be my life now? I'm gonna have to keep tweaking my TV settings depending upon which game I am playing??

Until everything is HDR (or HDR is turned on by default by the consoles and then they just display SDR content within the HDR color space correctly), you're gonna have to adjust the backlight between max for HDR and whatever you choose for SDR content.

Is there a popup indicating you're viewing HDR content when you're using the Netflix or Amazon Prime app? I don't have a lot of experience with HDR and I have no idea if it's working. Stuff like Daredevil looks great, but I wouldn't say the colors look particularly better than 4K stuff that supposedly doesn't have HDR.

Haines

Banned
Is there a popup indicating you're viewing HDR content when you're using the Netflix or Amazon Prime app? I don't have a lot of experience with HDR and I have no idea if it's working. Stuff like Daredevil looks great, but I wouldn't say the colors look particularly better than 4K stuff that supposedly doesn't have HDR.

I don't think HDR does colors does it. It does brightness and shadows.

I have read Netflix stuff won't be the best example due to low production quality.

I don't know about the pop up notification.

I have read Netflix stuff won't be the best example due to low production quality.

Yeah, regardless of the source, you will get a notification that HDR content is playing.

I don't know what the fuck is up with Netflix and HDR. They said they were hoping to have Daredevil Season Two out in HDR at launch, and if it wasn't it would be shortly after. Eight months later there's still no HDR in sight, and Luke Cage launched without it as well. I think Marco Polo is their only series in HDR. They must be having issues of some sort for this kind of delay and have been pretty much silent on the matter since DD2 eight months ago.

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong, see my next post

HDR increases the color depth, so you're wrong about that. I have no idea what you mean about Netflix; they have incredibly high production value in their original content.

Yeah, regardless of the source, you will get a notification that HDR content is playing.

I don't know what the fuck is up with Netflix and HDR. They said they were hoping to have Daredevil Season Two out in HDR at launch, and if it wasn't it would be shortly after. Eight months later there's still no HDR in sight, and Luke Cage launched without it as well. I think Marco Polo is their only series in HDR. They must be having issues of some sort for this kind of delay and have been pretty much silent on the matter since DD2 eight months ago.

Hah, now that you mention it I did some Googling and you're right! Daredevil and Jessica Jones (the other show I tried) aren't in HDR yet! That actually makes me feel better, because I was feeling underwhelmed. I'll check out Marco Polo tonight.

Morts

Should I be changing any settings on the TV when I switch from an HDR enabled game to something like Netflix?

Uts amazing how much I worry about having the 'wrong' settings.

Top Bottom