• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Valhalla reborn as Ragnarok

blamite

Remakes is fine if they make multiple map packs with more than 3 maps in them. Put 5 in each map pack, 4 new ones and one remake, i dont see a problem...other than if they remake Blood Gultch again then ill really lose it.
Unfortunately they've already confirmed 3 3 map packs. If they decide to do more beyond that I might be okay with remakes, but I'd really prefer maps made with the new gameplay features in mind.

Unfortunately they've already confirmed 3 3 map packs. If they decide to do more beyond that I might be okay with remakes, but I'd really prefer maps made with the new gameplay features in mind.

That fucking sucks. You know those will inlcude spartan ops shit too eventually. 3 per pack really isnt enough.

blamite

That fucking sucks. You know those will inlcude spartan ops shit too eventually. 3 per pack really isnt enough.
Spartan Ops is definitely separate, don't worry about those taking up slots in map packs.

I agree 3 maps per pack is kind of disappointing, especially after Anniversary's 6 for $15. I thought 343 would use the reception to that to judge whether to include more maps per pack in H4, shame that doesn't seem to have happened.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, so far thy've only shown a Forerunner environment that's maybe a quarter to a third the size of Forge World, and a Grifball court that's supposed to be set in a human forge environment. No word on the third yet but it'd presumably be Covenant themed.

Hopefully new hardware will allow Halo 5's forge to finally befcome a map creator rather than just an object editor. I'm tired of map possibilities being predetermined by the shape of the terrain we're given
Waiting until the next title again =| I mean if Far Cry 2 could do it, I'm sure Halo can, with a lot of space for liberties to be taken if need be.

Most of all I'm tired of the singularly thematic designs of blocks resulting in the same gray or brown looking levels everywhere. I don't even understand how this is still am oversight at this point. Something so simple. This is so frustrating. It's almost like they are intentionally limiting Forge's potential.

It sucks that the water will not behave the same way as in Halo 3. I'm pretty sure compromises had to be made for the overall look of the visuals but still it sucks. It's actually not the visuals of the water that irks me it's the fact that the water physics seem to have been stripped.

In all honesty why do a remake of Valhalla if you can't make the water right. The first thing people think about is the water when you think of Valhalla. People are here debating the mechs and that's not even the issue. The mechs will be loads of fun. But Dat water. It still looks great but you guys needed to nail the physics to re-capture the spirit of Valhalla.

Frankie can you comment on the compromises and design choices for the water, hardware limitations, etc... I really think if you couldn't capture the true nature of the water in Halo 3 then you guys should of left Valhalla alone and went with a sand trap remake instead . Oh well
:(

JdFoX187

Banned
Spartan Ops is definitely separate, don't worry about those taking up slots in map packs.

I agree 3 maps per pack is kind of disappointing, especially after Anniversary's 6 for $15. I thought 343 would use the reception to that to judge whether to include more maps per pack in H4, shame that doesn't seem to have happened.

Might see something like a Halo 2 Anniversary in 2014 that could have a bunch of maps for Halo 4. Microsoft has never shied away from packaging in Halo maps with other games.

It sucks that the water will not behave the same way as in Halo 3. I'm pretty sure compromises had to be made for the overall look of the visuals but still it sucks. It's actually not the visuals of the water that irks me it's the fact that the water physics seem to have been stripped.

In all honesty why do a remake of Valhalla if you can't make the water right. The first thing people think about is the water when you think of Valhalla. People are here debating the mechs and that's not even the issue. The mechs will be loads of fun. But Dat water. It still looks great but you guys needed to nail the physics to re-capture the spirit of Valhalla.

Frankie can you comment on the compromises and design choices for the water, hardware limitations, etc... I really think if you couldn't capture the true nature of the water in Halo 3 then you guys should of left Valhalla alone and went with a sand trap remake instead . Oh well

Insert name quote here.

As someone that thought Valhalla was a poor imitation of the greatly-superior Coagulation, even I can say that the water had little or nothing to do with what made the map the "best" for Halo 3 (which just shows how bad Halo 3 maps were). And Sandtrap was a steaming piece of shit that doesn't belong in any future Halo title.

Of course thats the issue. How will the water physics be a bigger problem than making sure the Mech is balanced properly? Are you serious right now? Water physics..... insane.

Edit: And to the poster who says H3 had bad maps, Vahalla is about 10 times better than Blood Gultch. Halo3 had not only the best variety of maps of any Halo game but some of the best maps period.

Might see something like a Halo 2 Anniversary in 2014 that could have a bunch of maps for Halo 4. Microsoft has never shied away from packaging in Halo maps with other games.

Insert name quote here.

As someone that thought Valhalla was a poor imitation of the greatly-superior Coagulation, even I can say that the water had little or nothing to do with what made the map the "best" for Halo 3 (which just shows how bad Halo 3 maps were). And Sandtrap was a steaming piece of shit that doesn't belong in any future Halo title.

Totally disagree. Loved Sandtrap. But that's your opinion. Also disagree about the water not meaning much.

GhaleonEB

Valhalla is my favorite map in the series. I'm terrified of how it will play in the Halo 4 combat sandbox.

Mantis looks like a lot of fun; I can't wait to use it in Campaign and blow the crap out of everything for an extended period.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I am not sure how I feel about the Mantis, need to really play with it before making any judgments.

Looks OP based on the vid but of course they want to show footage of it destroying everything.

Khezu

Shame the mech doesn't have jump jets could make some really interesting mech based custom games with those.

Of course thats the issue. How will the water physics be a bigger problem than making sure the Mech is balanced properly? Are you serious right now? Water physics..... insane
But didn't Frankie already reassure us that it won't be OP? It would be gameplay suicide to make it OP. And what can I say? I'm a water freak.

But didn't Frankie already reassure us that it won't be OP? It would be gameplay suicide to make it OP. And what can I say? I'm a water freak.

Id like the water to be perfect too, but man, im much more concerned about balance than i am the physics of the water on one map.

Also, i love big maps but one problem Reach had is that there werent enough small ones. I hope they have enough of both cause i played a lot less customs in Reach just because most maps were just too big for 3-4 players.

Ryan_IGN

FWIW I'll have direct-feed footage of Ragnarok on IGN on Thursday with commentary from 343 Lead Multiplayer Level Designer Kynan Pearson.

(In fact, we're doing this for all 10 maps every Tuesday and Thursday for the next five weeks, starting tomorrow with...a new map. /shamelessplug)

feel

They really went and put in a mech tea bagging another played in the trailer? what little interest I had in this game is suddenly gone.
Yet it probably made a few thousand Halo fans smile, so I'd say it was more than worth it.

FWIW I'll have direct-feed footage of Ragnarok on IGN on Thursday with commentary from 343 Lead Multiplayer Level Designer Kynan Pearson.

(In fact, we're doing this for all 10 maps every Tuesday and Thursday for the next five weeks, starting tomorrow with...a new map. /shamelessplug)

Wait, theres only 10 maps?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Damn, they really went for the bare minimum with that. Thats :(. I hope those map packs with the SE come out fairly quickly.

IIRC that number fits with all of the past games. Plus the 3 forge environments are sure to have a few maps here and there (though 343 said they didn't want forge maps to be overwhelming like Reach).

EDIT: Halo 2 had 12 maps, Halo 3 had 11.

Anyone know if Forge maps will show up in matchmaking ?

That actually killed Reach's multiplayer for me

See above.

Red

Blood Gulch should come with every Halo game. Best map is best map.
Blood Gulch really was great in H1, and it also worked well in 2. Valhalla was a nice change with a similar style. There was another H3 map as well (downloadable?) with satellites on it that reminded me a bit of Blood Gulch. I haven't played much Reach multi, but I don't think keepinv OG Blood Gulch works as well now as it used to. Not with all the small changes to the formula. I actually think less popular maps like Prisoner, Lockout, maybe even Rat Race would be better than Blood Gulch with the modern sandbox. I'm just speculating, but the way I see it, the biggest changes in Halo since the series' start have been to the mid to long range weapons combat and vehicles. Short to mid is more or less the same (for a more casual player like me, who's not been keeping up with each new subtlety but notices things like Reach's new melee mechanics). So the maps that play most differently now are those like Blood Gulch, those big arenas. They won't be as good with the new content as they were ten years ago.

I just started playing Halo Anniversary, and I kind of wish there was a redone multiplayer component and not just a Reach map pack. I'd like to see the contrast. Plus I miss grenading weapons to myself from across the map.

Demon Ice

Banned
Why are people making such a huge deal about the water physics? They weren't THAT great. Go read the Halo Wiki article on MJOLNIR armor and then tell me why they're *floating* in the river.

TheOddOne

Remakes is fine if they make multiple map packs with more than 3 maps in them. Put 5 in each map pack, 4 new ones and one remake, i dont see a problem...other than if they remake Blood Gultch again then ill really lose it.
Problem is that every Halo sandbox changes, adding old stuff on it is usually for the worse. Either they change too much or forced to change or little is changed (but still plays terrible with the new settings).

New maps all the way.

Halo 3 also shipped with 9.

I'm not sure I see the problem.

So theyll give us around 9 hours worth of spartan ops, but 10 maps is ok with everyone cause the other game shipped with that? Im not ok 10 maps. You know how quickly we will come down to 2-3 everyone selecting all the time, not to mention that at least half are either too big or too small to be in a certain playlist. I wanted at least 12, not counting remakes. God damn, the remake is already designed for chirst sakes, the hard part is already done!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So theyll give us around 9 hours worth of spartan ops, but 10 maps is ok with everyone cause the other game shipped with that? Im not ok 10 maps. You know how quickly we will come down to 2-3 everyone selecting all the time, not to mention that at least half are either too big or too small to be in a certain playlist. I wanted at least 12, not counting remakes. God damn, the remake is already designed for chirst sakes, the hard part is already done!

I guess there's no set "golden" number for how many maps is a good number. I am fine with 10 (13 with forge). If they are designed well enough we'll want to play them all. Plus, they have crammed so much other content into the game too that I am happy with the overall package so far.

We already know we are getting at least 3 DLC maps packs with 3 maps each, so I think we're good.

Vire

You have absolutely no idea how game development works do you?

I guess there's no set "golden" number for how many maps is a good number. I am fine with 10 (13 with forge). If they are designed well enough we'll want to play them all. Plus, they have crammed so much other content into the game too that I am happy with the overall package so far.

We already know we are getting at least 3 DLC maps packs with 3 maps each, so I think we're good.

Hopefully, 2-3 of those are already done. That would help a lot.

You have absolutely no idea how game development works do you?

Actually i do. What have they changed to this new map to accomodate the halo 4 gameplay? Not much. Only the textures and lighting have changed. The map was basically chosen cause it needs very little changes to accomodate to the Halo4 gameplay, and people are fed up of blood gultch.

Actually i do. What have they changed to this new map to accomodate the halo 4 gameplay? Not much. Only the textures and lighting have changed. The map was basically chosen cause it needs very little changes to accomodate to the Halo4 gameplay, and people are fed up of blood gultch.

That's why they carefully chose that particular map though. Sprint mixed with a myriad of other game-changers leaves a lot of smaller map remakes outside the realm of possibility. Valhalla just happened to work with those changes.

That's why they carefully chose that particular map though. Sprint mixed with a myriad of other game-changers leaves a lot of smaller map remakes outside the realm of possibility. Valhalla just happened to work with those changes.

Yes exactly. But theres 4 games and multiple maps to choose from, not even counting Halo PC. Hell, put 2 remakes if you have to. This wasnt the only one available.

Avalanche for example fits perfectly into Halo4.

Yes exactly. But theres 4 games and multiple maps to choose from, not even counting Halo PC. Hell, put 2 remakes if you have to. This wasnt the only one available.

Avalanche for example fits perfectly into Halo4.

Maybe it would, and maybe it would be easier to pop some of those out real quick. Hopefully they'll have some sort of some community forge playlist where the most popular maps are selected. I'm sure some remakes would make it there.

Personally I think the game has changed too much between halo 3 and now to get a similar feeling from any of the remakes. I'd rather them focus on working around the current gameplay mechanics rather than the other way around.

Top Bottom