• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Charla (Microsoft) seems to imply that PUBG is a timed exclusive

Kill3r7

Couldnt you say that about any game ever?

Sort of. Something like Minecraft needs to be multi platform in order to reach that level of success. If MS were to buy PUBG/Bluehole they would need to allow the IP to continue to grow and that growth will only come from going multi platform.

I've never understood why there's so much confusion with this. Months ago, before E3, the devs gave an interview where they said it would be coming to Xbox first because of their Preview Program (Early Access) and then to PS4 after the final version was ready.

I've never understood why there's so much confusion with this. Months ago, before E3, the devs gave an interview where they said it would be coming to Xbox First because of their Preview Program (Early Access) and then to PS4 after the final version was ready.
Yep. It's been known for a while and confirmed multiple times. But I guess folks are still confused so this is just another confirmation.

Crayon

We used yo just say x games was "first" on x console. Someone's always going to be sour about it but it's an old practice.

UraMallas

I've never understood why there's so much confusion with this. Months ago, before E3, the devs gave an interview where they said it would be coming to Xbox first because of their Preview Program (Early Access) and then to PS4 after the final version was ready.

If you ask me, it's because online narratives have changed. It's always pretty straightforward but it becomes another way to critique the move by saying something like "MS/Sony's messaging is horrible." It wasn't hard to understand before and it isn't hard to understand now.

Mooreberg

The situation with this game has been pretty easy to understand since it is Early Access / Game Preview. I think people are still acting on how muddled the Rise of the Tomb Raider situation was.

I remember that but don't recall them actually saying it would come to PS4. Do you have a link?

The Long Dark launched on Xbox One June 2015, it appeared on PS4 August 2017.

Sony won't allow indie developers early access. So as long as Xbox has the Game Preview programme for indies, Battlegrounds will remain exclusive to Xbox One.

Looking at The Long Dark as an example, that game took 2 years to make it from game preview (on Xbox) to a final game, at which point Sony allowed it.

Welfare

I thought this was common knowledge at E3. It's first to come to Xbox One thanks to the Preview Program. The full retail release will be when the PS4 gets it I bet.

Hate this practise, I understand from their point of view they want to make people think its exclusive so they swoop into Xbox for it, but that's just anti-consumer in itself and would annoy anyone who does that.

I hope it doesn't become more and more frequent. Same goes to Activision and Crash.

Yeah, I dislike it. I'd rather these companies just be straight up from the start. I own all the systems, so I'll play on whatever, but it's the principle imo. That crash shit was a joke with all the its exclusive/it's not nonsense.

Memento

Sony won't allow indie developers early access. So as long as Xbox has the Game Preview programme for indies, Battlegrounds will remain exclusive to Xbox One.

Looking at The Long Dark as an example, that game took 2 years to make it from game preview (on Xbox) to a final game, at which point Sony allowed it.

You think Sony will not let one of the biggest games of the year to hit PS4?

I remember that but don't recall them actually saying it would come to PS4. Do you have a link?

This isn't the one I remember originally seeing but it's basically the same information.

Bluehole Studio producer Changhan Kim revealed that the game is in the works for Xbox One's preview program, and will be developed for PlayStation 4 following that.

Kim already noted that a version of the game has already been up and running on the Xbox One console, with the team tinkering away on a number of improvements for it. A PlayStation 4 version is also in the works, but the company is focusing on the Xbox One edition first, since Sony's console doesn't really have any sort of early access system. But at least it's being planned.

MS should Minecraft this company and buy the IP.

Xbox sure could use it as a true exclusive.

Why does everyone think every company would want to be purchased? Some like having their Independence, also the game is selling extremely well and will continue to sell well when it hits Xbox followed by ps whenever that happens. They don't need to be purchased.

Couldnt you say that about any game ever?

Yeah but it's also documented that some games do better on some consoles and or handhelds rather than others which allows some companies to make decisions in the future to not support one but the other. Since this is a online multiplayer game, in some vain, yes...having t multiplatform benefits it greatly...but yeah, we've seen how some SP games are kind of left in the dust on some consoles rather than others which eventually comes down to a business decision to cut down rather than spend more.

I for one wouldn't care if this was an Xbox exclusive because I believe that some games are just better for the audience a console is trying to foster...but it's up to them to make that decision. It will piss off a lot but that's not my problem I guess. More the merrier but okay if it does stay with one.

Cartman86

Banned

It's because a few days ago at the Microsoft Gamescom thing Green made a kind of big deal about them announcing that Microsoft was publishing the game on Xbox now. Creating some more confusion. It sounds like a Rise of the Tomb Raider situation.

Mr Moose

I wonder if its just for its time in Game Preview or if they have actually locked down a 3, 6 or 12 month exclusivity window?

Then again, I wonder how long it'll be in Game Preview for?

Probably just for the duration of the game preview thing.

And it'll be in that for about 6 years lol.

Chobel

Not really, Sony allowed ARK on PS4. They allow early access type games, it's just they're very selective about it.

I wonder if its just for its time in Game Preview or if they have actually locked down a 3, 6 or 12 month exclusivity window?

Then again, I wonder how long it'll be in Game Preview for?

There's definitely an exclusivity window here, otherwise MS wouldn't have said "fall 2017 exclusive" (or something like that).

EvB

You think Sony will not let one of the biggest games of the year to hit PS4?

Sony won't allow unfinished games, so early access games are out of the question.

PUBG is exactly that, it has a single map and is still in constant development.

It's the same reason why Ps4 didn't/won't get

Elite
We Happy Few
Conan Exiles
The Longest Dark
Ghost of a tale
Astroneer
Everspace
Pit People

until they were/are gold.

Chobel

Sony won't allow unfinished games, so early access games are out of the question.

PUBG is exactly that, it has a single map and is still in constant development.

It's the same reason why Ps4 didn't/won't get

Elite
We Happy Few
Conan Exiles
Ark
The Longest Dark
Ghost of a tale
Astroneer
Everspace
Pit People

until they were/are gold.

ARK? Fortnite? Paragon? Dungeon Defenders 2?

Chobel

Sony will make exceptions but for the most part they are released as "full games". Fortnite even has a physical release.

Isn't that the point? Sony makes exceptions on select titles when it suits them, so I'm sure they'll make an exception for PUBG as well. There's too much money to be made here for Sony to ignore it.

Fbh

Of course it's a timed exclusive.

You need no further confirmation than the fact that no one from MS or the developer is willing to confirm that it's a true permanent exclusive.

As soon as you start getting PR talk regarding the exclusivity status of a game it's basically confirmed that it's a timed exclusive.

EvB

ARK? Fortnite? Paragon? Dungeon Defenders 2?

With the exception of Ark, those are all F2P games, so they have made a single exception out of 20 or so games.
For reference, Ps4 got ark 18 months after PC and almost a year after Xbox One.

Chobel

With the exception of Ark, those are all F2P games, so they have made a single exception out of 20 or so games.

Wait, so they made an exception(s). I thought Sony won't allow unfinished games? :p

For reference, Ps4 got ark 18 months after PC and almost a year after Xbox One.

Not sure why is this relevant, sure it came late but when released on PS4, ARK was definitely unfinished game.

farisr

Doesn't remotely surprise me.

Why is this brought up so often here?
Partly due to the confusion caused by the two or three different terminologies that were used during the xbox E3 conference to refer to this game.

Partly due to the confusion that certain tweets caused when describing/replying to questions about this game's exclusivity.

Partly due to fanboys on both sides adamant on having this on/off the list for their list wars crap.

paulogy

My take on all this: It's a console exclusive until it's not.

For this year: console exclusive

Starting in 2018: who knows?

Gestault

Someone may have said this already, but the Game Preview program for early-access games on XB1/Win10 could explain that "exclusive" window, even beyond any particulars of the publishing agreement.

nynt9

All the "why is anyone surprised" posts should go check out the latest PUBG threads

What? I'm saying that from a business perspective, Microsoft will want to maximize the value from this IP, either by securing permanent exclusivity or otherwise investing in the developer.

to put it lightly, Sony does not have the game. That sure irks most of GAF.

Looks like it'll be a permanent console exclusive and people are saying it's misleading simply due to their own hope of it coming onto the PS4 IMO.

You guys have been saying the xbone needs more exclusives.
Microsoft is just doing what were asking of them.

nq77mZw.png

Wording implies an exclusive

This is why MS do this type of language, and why people hate it here.

Majmun

I'm usually not a fan of online fps games, or online multiplayer games in general.

But I had a lot of fun with this game. The concept is so simple and the gameplay very straightfoward.

Games like Overwatch and COD are too intimidating and too hectic. This is more of my liking.

We've known this to be the case for the past few months I believe, and nothing has come out to indicate any change so why are people confused?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I thought they sad at E3 that it's exclusive to Xbox for the Early Access period.

Jhn

This is why MS do this type of language, and why people hate it here.

Exactly.
Microsoft is doubling down on their old Tomb Raider inspired exclusivity language, making most people think the exclusivity is permanent by bending the truth as far as it can possibly bend without breaking. They're getting dangerously close to outright lying.

Thanks to Microsoft, we're now stuck in a world of corporate newspeak where honesty and decency has been sacrificed on the altar of profits, and from now on we apparently need to spend weeks deciphering their statements to decode their actual meaning.
It's shady as fuck and they suck for doing it.

Banned
Microsoft said console launch exclusives at e3 2017, I doubt PUGB devs want to be exclusive to Xbox anyway considering PS4 has a gigantic player pool. MS must have paid big bucks for them to remain launch exclusive to Xbox, they just lost 3 million monthy active users a few months ago and counting.

This way of competing sucks though and is pretty anti-consumer, I much rather open my wallet for companies who make great games or at least do a full measure and make it full exclusive. Whatever, this type of stuff is just the seedy side of the gaming industry, it's really gross.

Top Bottom