• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

scitek

hl2.exe_2012-04-28-04lkkuu.png

hl2.exe_2012-04-28-15mdkw9.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tech aside, Valve's art is sublime, and I hate ruining it with Fakefactory crap. I'm pretty anal about texture mods.

EDIT: Everything I've seen of the HL2 ENB looks awful too. The bloom is out of control. I know you can tweak it, but the mod makes the colours look washed out and ruins textures.

Gvaz

Banned
I'd rather have glamour if it means I have higher res textures. Low res 2004 textures can go die a painful death.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
GW2 looks so flat and... boring artistically.

I'm sure it's a lot of fun though :)

Yeah, it's hit and miss. Some areas are beautiful but some areas and elements have a very flat feel to them, especially up close.

Game is fun but runs poorly for many at the moment.

Gisk

Banned
I'd rather have glamour if it means I have higher res textures. Low res 2004 textures can go die a painful death.

You would think that'd be true, but 99.996% of the time, texture packs end up destroying the original themes and motifs present in many video games.
In a game like HL2 where the textures are there to provide atmosphere and tone, changing them fundamentally ruins the game and tarnishes the experience it gives to the player.

While it may be hard for some people to look past 'blurry' textures, they're a part of the gaming experience.
You don't see people making texture mods for Tetris because, "Those blocky 1980 textures can go die a painful death", because that sounds quite ridiculous, doesn't it?

Please send all complaints to Uare@wrong.com

doomquake

yikes...what the hell happened to GW. Was the original even that bad? I remember the first one being a bit mind blowing back then. Now..it just looks like Kingdoms of Amalur at best.

But Binary Domain..wowaweewa. Do want. Nice design, smart graphics.

Dead Space 2 showing a bit of age in terms of texture res, but I really like the look of the game anyway. Classic.

Witcher 2 is looking incredible but I couldn't get into it after trying it on release day. Something missing in it for me. First one was pretty cool though. Built on heavily modified Never Winter 2 engine right? Didn't they even keep some of the mouse cursors the same as an homage..

Almost everything I read about Risen 2 is bad. But how can that be when pirates! And swashbuckling! And... and... pirates! =(

I only just started the first one, I plan to get 2 after, but I'm liking it quite a bit.

Oh, and one more vote to the Fakefactory mod being a travesty.

MrBig

Almost everything I read about Risen 2 is bad. But how can that be when pirates! And swashbuckling! And... and... pirates! =(

I only just started the first one, I plan to get 2 after, but I'm liking it quite a bit.

I thought it looked pretty cool and I thought I might like to try another semi open world game, but then I saw gameplay :(

Durante

I wanted to upload some shots from the Diablo 3 beta but I can't find a single one that doesn't look terrible.

So I'll post one from a better looking game released 11 years ago - Arcanum.
arcanum2012-04-0820-1mtqy0.png

You should read German reviews, they are mostly praising it.

It seems to be similar to Risen 1, but instead of starting out very nonlinear and getting more linear later on it's the other way around. (Which makes more sense IMHO)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Arcanum.

Be still my beating heart.

I miss RPGs that were like books :(.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I miss RPGs that were like books :(.

I just started this little game after postponing my playthrough since it came out almost 13 years ago.

torment2012-04-2920-079uuh.png

I have to say, I just left the mortuary yet this game has grabbed me in a way I haven't felt in years.

Hahahaha all these new gen games with fancy visuals and post process effects coming out of their twats like a slippery eel, and good old tarant in arcanum is the one image that caught my eye.

Is that is a widescreen mod? because it looks damn sharp.

Theonik

Because everyone needs to know every ancient relic game?
No, but everyone needs to know what can change the nature of a man.

I just started this little game after postponing my playthrough since it came out almost 13 years ago.

http://www.abload.de/img/torment2012-04-2920-079uuh.png

I have to say, I just left the mortuary yet this game has grabbed me in a way I haven't felt in years.
What sorcery are you using to make it look this sharp?

decyx

gw2_2012_04_29_14_42_dhbge.png

gw2_2012_04_29_14_33_4lbuf.png

Guild Wars 2 is one of those games that makes me wish I was better at taking screenshots. None of the shots that have been posted so far, including mine, do it any justice. The art design is phenomenal; sometimes, I feel like I'm in fucking Disneyland. Every city that I've been to feels so alive and rich in detail. Just earlier today, while I was exploring one of the districts in Lion's Arch (the human capital city), I ran past a giant mindfuck of a musical contraption sitting underneath a multicolored tent in the middle of the street that looked like a giant ball of assorted horn instruments. Dumbfounded, I stopped to stare and was blasted by the wonderful sound of tubas, trumpets and trombones (God bless you, Jeremy Soule). I promptly let out a girlish squeal and started clapping like a trained seal as confetti rained down on me from every direction.

Afterwards, I made my way back to the center of the city, drunk with sensory pleasure, and discovered a tunnel leading to the central garden that, get this, had walls filled with aquatic wildlife. That's right, a fucking aquarium tunnel. Why, you might ask? Because, fuck you, this is Guild Wars 2, that's why. Once again, I paused to drink in the absolute beauty that surrounded me as the light pierced through the glass and danced around me, all the while spamming my screenshot key like a madman.

Out of the hundreds of shots I've taken in the past 24 hours, I've salvaged only two that are even remotely worth showing (and even that's debatable). I can't help, but feel like Jodie Foster's character from Contact when she first glimpsed the nebulae outside of her "window" after being stuffed into a giant puzzle cube and shot into space. "They should have sent a poet! So beautiful!"

Top Bottom