• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

Considering that the game seems to struggle on a regular PS4 and One I'm sure that the game needed some downgrading during the optimization process. Seems less a "problem" and more just a normal product of development.

It's funny how the 75 hasn't moved all day.
Maybe is a consensus of the press to leave it with that score? Because with a point below the note would become yellow (mixed) and it would look bad.

Yep, all gaming outlets just had a meeting and decided unanimously this was the deserving score for the game in relation to the paycheck EA handed to them.

Also for anyone unaware, this isn't the same Bioware of ME:3 or DA:I, Bioware Montreal was mainly used as an assist studio for pre-existing games, this is the first time they have worked on a full game.

Oh, come on. The hate for Inquisition is downright becoming annoying here on GAF. It was nowhere near the turd some of you make it seem to be. It was good enough for its time.

Bioware has the pain that two incredible action RPG's released prior to Andromeda. The Witcher 3 and Horizon. These two games has set a new bar in terms of story, pacing, atmosphere and gameplay. Those were big shoes to fill or either trail for Bioware.

Witcher 3 is my favorite game of the last few years... but I did not enjoy the actual gameplay of it. Writing, atmosphere, and the world CDPR made were all amazing, but the gameplay was serviceable at best.

Right, but it's kinda weird to offer that up as an excuse for why Andromeda seems like such a particularly bad effort to reviewers. It's more of a reason for why Andromeda is a complete amateur effort. Might as well point out that Bioware is at a disadvantage because they made the same game but better 10 years ago.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but it seemed like you were suggesting that Andromeda was getting unfair criticism.

I think what the poster is saying is that Witcher 3 [and Horizon] nailed a lot of things that many games haven't been able to replicate or best since. Witcher still stands as one of the finest game in the genre. It's hard for people not to draw comparisons.

Banned
The gameplay looks completely badass:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TedU1Zg.gif

qA13Vhw.gif

PFzb8UF.gif

I know that I am definitely going to have some fun there, at the very least.
Fucking sold.

Mifune

Mehmber
Greg Miller mentioned Tay to him MEA, like Fallout 4, feels like a game out of time. The devs went off and made the game while the industry changed around them, so comparing the game (even subconsciously) to other games from the same release wibdow like Horizon and Zelda it feels antiquated. Is this an accurate statement?

It certainly doesn't feel like a 2017 game.

At first I was excited by the more open feel of the game. Like it was ME3 with the linear restraints removed. But I've played more and it has the feel of an open world game designed by people who have never made an open world game before, nor understand what makes good open world games work.

Honestly, it feels like a free-to-play open world game with checkbox quests. Only when I hit a cutscene am I like, oh yeah somebody designed this.

Right, but it's kinda weird to offer that up as an excuse for why Andromeda seems like such a particularly bad effort to reviewers. It's more of a reason for why Andromeda is a complete amateur effort. Might as well point out that Bioware is at a disadvantage because they made the same game but better 10 years ago.

I remember the time where Mass Effect had massive texture pop-in's, severe loading times and somewhat atrocious animations from time to time but it was still ahead of its time.

Now there are other developers who managed to create something more spectacular. I am pretty sure that comparisons against other games do give other games, like Andromeda, lower review scores if the competition is fiercer.

Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

I dont think it had development problems per say as much as the fact that it just wasnt Bioware Edmonton doing it. You game is as good as your team. This clearly wasnt their A team.

obeast

Are you seriously trying to excuse the flaws of Andromeda by saying that the series has always been shit?

It's a point worth making, I think, since there appears to be a general feeling that Bioware's writing has been steadily receding in quality since some high point in the aughties (KOTOR? ME1?). ME1 had very good writing for a space opera game when it released; it has loads of clunky dialogue, though. On a line-by-line basis, KOTOR is outright badly written and delivered by modern standards. Both ME1 and KOTOR, for instance, have some shit-tier villain dialogue, of the "explain my plans and then cackle madly" variety (I'm pretty sure this literally happens in KOTOR at some point).

That said, I think that what has happened is that the rest of the industry got its act together with writing and dialogue, at least a little, meaning that what was exceptional in 2007 is only adequate now, and perhaps less than adequate for a game in which dialogue plays a huge role. From my own experience with their games, what has happened with Bioware is that their writing hasn't kept up with the evolving marketplace - and the writing was the one thing they did better than their competitors in the first place (and, I suppose freedom of choice, which is also something that competitors have knocked out of the park).

(Incidentally, I haven't played enough of ME:A to have a meaningful opinion of it, but I certainly noted some awkward dialogue & delivery in the parts of the early access that I sampled.)

jtb

Banned
The difference isn't that the Witcher 3 was good, it's that the Witcher 3 sold enormous amounts of copies. You could ignore Witcher 2 (which is also miles ahead of every non-BG2 BioWare game and is frankly better designed than W3), but it was PC-only so it was "niche" and could be ignored.

Witcher 3 and Horizon are mega-hits though. So up goes the bar.

--

Dragon Age Inquisition reminded me a bit of Two Worlds 2, which is actually a decently fun, beautiful waste of time (if you play on PC).

Ain't nobody ever calling TW2 GOTY though lol

Wagram

I'm genuinely disappointed they went back towards open world. I was counting on this being more like ME2/3. I need linearity with a mild openness man.

Banned
You were already sold, as you've pointed out multiple times. There are also reports that you can rarely do any of this stuff because of how bad the rubber banding is.
Don't kill my hype!

I'll let myself be my own judge.

:p

I put 100+ hours into dragon age and loved it. My bar has been set low.

jtb

Banned
obeast, I know we've gone back and forth on the KOTOR thing, but I will defend that game to the death.

KOTOR's wide-eyed innocence fits in perfectly with the Star Wars mythos, imo. It was the perfect Star Wars game. Still is.

And for as much shit that it takes these days for its binary choice/consequence, KOTOR's quest design is miles, fucking miles ahead of anything BioWare has made since then. The only game on par is DA:O (which I've always felt was the dumbed down version of KOTOR anyways), since it has the whole Landsmeet which is pretty cool as far as BioWare set pieces go.

Considering that the game seems to struggle on a regular PS4 and One I'm sure that the game needed some downgrading during the optimization process. Seems less a "problem" and more just a normal product of development.

And PC gets the shaft yet again =/ I would have liked to play with the original lighting

ironcreed

Banned
You were already sold, as you've pointed out multiple times. There are also reports that you can rarely do any of this stuff because of how bad the rubber banding is.

The stream I was watching yesterday seemed to be fine. He was sliding and zipping around like it was Vanquish with force powers or something. It looked fantastic and sold me straight up and down. The rest of it looked good as well.

Patrick S.

Banned
The difference isn't that the Witcher 3 was good, it's that the Witcher 3 sold enormous amounts of copies. You could ignore Witcher 2 (which is also miles ahead of every non-BG2 BioWare game and is frankly better designed than W3), but it was PC-only so it was "niche" and could be ignored.

--

Dragon Age Inquisition reminded me a bit of Two Worlds 2, which is actually a decently fun, beautiful waste of time (if you play on PC).

Box+Art_Assassins_of_Kings_Witcher_2_xbox_360.jpg

Edit: Too late, haha.

benzopil

There's nothing actually wrong with game reviewers not using the full scale. It just doesn't matter. Both reviewers and the audience know what a particular score 'means'. As long as the numbers are communicating the reviewer's opinion of the relative quality of the game, that's good enough.

That's not true. They use the full scale but they are just not reviewing super bad games.

I mean a 1/10 game is some unknown indie from Steam which doesn't even work properly and has no animations or textures. Like what Jim Sterling had in his videos.

A 2/10 game is a little bit better but still hot garbage. Like Life of Black Tiger for example.

Etc, etc. You won't see these scores because nobody plays these games anyway. And I don't think Andromeda is THAT bad that it should have less than 5/10 or 6/10.

That's why in terms of AAA games 6/10 and 7/10 is bad.

Right... but that just means it's a worse game with less effort put into it, yeah? Like if Witcher 3 was pretty consistent in quality with Witcher 1, it would have gotten worse scores. Horizon wouldn't have gotten the scores it did if it performed horribly either.

This ain't some upstart indie game, it's the first Mass Effect game on next gen hardware. Fallout 4 still did pretty well despite existing in a post-Witcher 3 world.

One could argue that Fallout 4 was pretty disappointing as well.

I would not exactly say that they put less effort into Andromeda. It almost looks like Bioware does not have the team to keep up with the competition. The competition is better, fiercer and more skilled these days.

And even with this scores im still adamant of canceling my amazong order, and id ont know why. Like the force of wanting to play a new mass effect is bigger than anything else.
I hope Im somewhat happy with it when i play it.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

Holy shit, how this could happen.
This is not a regular textures downgrade, the animations were also completly scratched.
Something happened to the team during development.

It's a point worth making, I think, since there appears to be a general feeling that Bioware's writing has been steadily receding in quality since some high point in the aughties (KOTOR? ME1?). ME1 had very good writing for a space opera game when it released; it has loads of clunky dialogue, though. On a line-by-line basis, KOTOR is outright badly written and delivered by modern standards. Both ME1 and KOTOR, for instance, have some shit-tier villain dialogue, of the "explain my plans and then cackle madly" variety (I'm pretty sure this literally happens in KOTOR at some point).

That said, I think that what has happened is that the rest of the industry got its act together with writing and dialogue, at least a little, meaning that what was exceptional in 2007 is only adequate now, and perhaps less than adequate for a game in which dialogue plays a huge role. From my own experience with their games, what has happened with Bioware is that their writing hasn't kept up with the evolving marketplace - and the writing was the one thing they did better than their competitors in the first place.

(Incidentally, I haven't played enough of ME:A to have a meaningful opinion of it, but I certainly noted some awkward dialogue & delivery in the parts of the early access that I sampled.)

Games are as good as their overall package. ME then reviewed well partially because no other game really attempted to do what it did. But the game itself, even with its problems, was wonderful. I started it again yesterday on xbox one and man, it has aged really fucking well. Still really holds up. The characters are better and more interesting and the story is compelling from the start.

MEA just feels like a 'copy' of the original trilogy. Its as if they just had a checkbox of things they needed to be in the new Mass Effect game and had to put them in. It doesnt feel like a passion project or something they wanted to do cause they wanted to push the series forward or because they missed it. It just feels like they took a bunch of people that were available and told them: hey guys we need a new ME game, so go make one.

I played a few hours of MEA on xbox one and the best way i can describe it is that it feels like a completely new studio has taken over the franchise. The vision feels off or incomplete as if they either didnt have time or just didnt know what to do with it.

Elginer

Canceled and put my store credit on Prey. No need in picking this up day one when even BioWare couldn't give a fuck enough to produce a polished game. Shame as the original trilogy are some of my fav games of all time.

dubq

Lime

The best setpiece, or anything in general, Bioware has done was the climax of ME1. They will never top that.

Yep. It's remarkable pacing in that final sequence from Virmire and onwards to Ilios to the Citadel. The elevator stopping and having to go out in the Citadel in all that red background light is one of the finest moment in video games for me.

damnit Jarmel, you're making me want to replay ME1 now and I don't have time for this.

eot

Banned

--

TW2 is better than anything BioWare has done since ME2 IMO.

SRTtoZ

Everything is off about this game. Watching the GB Quick Look there seems to be a bugs galore, like every 30 seconds you can see something flicker or dialog cut off or the cutscenes stuttering. In the Quick Look they go to the Nexus and walk up to a bunch of 'protesters' and they are all standing still like mannequins, I mean, cmon, this is so bad. Also the amount of pop in...on the PS4 PRO. I know they had 5 years on this but it seems like it needed a good year more. Its unfortunate but hopefully a lot of it gets patched and its a better game in a year.

OrionX

A little surprised, but I can't imagine myself disliking a Bioware game. I'm curious to see how it compares to DA:I for me, since I loved that game.

inky

I'm watching the GB quick look now. Man, it's painful...

Brad walking up to a console to reveal these mobile game-like timers for collecting resources and off-site missions (ala Dragon Age Inquisition war table, after Flynn repeatedly said DAI wasn't a template for this game) just broke me. It looks exactly like that.

Yep. It's remarkable pacing in that final sequence from Virmire and onwards to Ilios to the Citadel. The elevator stopping and having to go out in the Citadel in all that red background light is one of the finest moment in video games for me.

damnit Jarmel, you're making me want to replay ME1 now and I don't have time for this.

There's always time for ME1 again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKiOcV1SSc

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely disappointed they went back towards open world. I was counting on this being more like ME2/3. I need linearity with a mild openness man.

Same here. I don't get "bigger=better" game design philosophy at all anymore. I don't want to play a checklist simulator where I spend a lot of time wandering the map finding 5 blue flowers and scanning 3 lost terminals. Urgh, that's not fun.

Developers: That's not fun. Respect my time please. Ubisoft does it really bad and it's why I have not bought a single one of their open world games. MMO game design is just not for me at all and it bores me to death.

Mass Effect 2 was freaking awesome because it was tight and cohesive, it felt like I was playing a movie. There wasn't huge checklists of shit to do and I never felt like I was wasting my time, even probing was over pretty quickly.

Brad walking up to a console to reveal these mobile game-like timers for collecting resources and off-site missions (ala Dragon Age Inquisition war table, after Flynn repeatedly said DAI wasn't a template for this game) just broke me. It looks exactly like that.

Yep, same here. Even with all the disappointment on here with the animation jank and stuff, I still had hopes the core game could still be special. Sad to see huge maps with a million checkboxes on them and resource nodes. I was pretty bored during the quicklook and preview video except when the jank started. At least that was amusing.

KDC720

I loved the original trilogy warts and all, but I've just felt so indifferent towards Andromeda as a whole. It's weird, I should be so excited for a new Mass Effect, yet I have no hype whatsoever.

Even the lower scores aren't terrible but it affirms to me along with some of the footage I've seen that I'm probably going to be waiting for a price drop on this one.

Lamptramp

Like so many others I've seen the footage in the last week and hoped that the reviews would reassure and that the spirit of the originals would remain. I'm not fanatical about the series but I have massively enjoyed at least 2/3rds of the previous games ;) Sci-fi/space opera/RPG is a combination I adore and I would normally pick this up day one, at this point a heavy sale would be the only thing compelling me to dive in.

I could suspend disbelief sufficiently over some jank (after all its not unheard of in the genre/series history) and even bland side quests with some of the worse MMO trappings, but reports of the lacklustre script, delivery and frankly horrible looking facial animation during conversations has put me right off. Add to this the seeming wasted potential of a "whole fresh new galaxy" and uninspired party member choices and I'm not only soured on the game but seriously saddened, I was looking forward to this.

I play these games for the story, the role playing elements, the social interplay etc. and it very much seems that those aspects were put to one side for one reason or another. Though I think as others have said its been something Bioware have arguably been getting weaker at (or not improving enough) as time goes on

Scores/metascores whatever don't bother me one way or another, likewise if someone enjoys it for what it is then fair enough, but for me what Bioware/EA have presented isn't Mass Effect certainly not "my" Mass Effect, it very much seems to be the straight to TV version.

Wulfram

Imo, they've already been doing that -- it's just that the "other stuff" RPG dressings allowed BioWare to paper over the fact that some of their core game mechanics were not up to competitor standards. Once you do that, you're playing with the Uncharteds, etc. of the world.

Exactly, they can play in the safe and easy zone where gameplay is expected to be the same thing over and over again, no one gives a stuff if the story is tosh and sales are plentiful

Kumquat

Why is everyone talking about the game being rushed out? It had FIVE years. If you can't make your game and smooth out the hiccups when you aren't really innovating with anything new in five years then the problem is management hired the wrong people.

This all goes back to who the blame should really be shouldered by. Mac Walters. The buck stops there.

kirblar

I loved the original trilogy warts and all, but I've just felt so indifferent towards Andromeda as a whole. It's weird, I should be so excited for a new Mass Effect, yet I have no hype whatsoever.

Even the lower scores aren't terrible but it affirms to me along with some of the footage I've seen that I'm probably going to be waiting for a price drop on this one.
The hype cycle for this game has been nonexistent in part because the developer was not putting the type of content out there you'd normally get when they're super-confident about the title.
Why is everyone talking about the game being rushed out? It had FIVE years. If you can't make your game and smooth out the hiccups when you aren't really innovating with anything new in five years then the problem is management hired the wrong people.

This all goes back to who the blame should really be shouldered by. Mac Walters. The buck stops there.
Yup. When you hire the freshman football team to replace an NFL team, it's not their fault when they can't deliver the same way the pro team can.

The best setpiece, or anything in general, Bioware has done was the climax of ME1. They will never top that.

I would put both the events leading to the arrival at Skyhold in DA:I and the Suicide Mission from ME2 above it, though narrowly.

Brad walking up to a console to reveal these mobile game-like timers for collecting resources and off-site missions (ala Dragon Age Inquisition war table, after Flynn repeatedly said DAI wasn't a template for this game) just broke me. It looks exactly like that.]

Eh, those systems are rampant in a lot of open world games (AC series in particular but also MGSV). I think DA:I's war table is the best I've seen of them, though. Some of the missions were pretty cool.

Pennywise

Holy shit. That is not good. At this happened all during the MEA development years?
Sounds like it.

How reliable is that site ? Most of the "cons" sounds likely given the state of the game. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be at Bioware Montreal right now, heads will roll (and probably the wrong as it often the case)

It's a place where employees can review their current or former employer.
Can obviously be wrong as it's a former employee giving his opinion, but all those leads leaving over the development cycle would explain alot.
Allthough people can leave for various reasons, creative differences, personal reasons, a better job offer and so on.
In the end, it could be a part of the big puzzle why the title didn't live up to the former titles, but it's also just one part.

Top Bottom