• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferricide

Pachinko said:
If UGO is based in new york will they eventually move servers and staff into their building ?
ziff davis is also headquarted in NYC, fwiw.

also, the 1UP servers are at a colo in san francisco (365 main) unless they've moved them, one that's used by a number of companies. there's no reason to move them unless UGO runs its own farm, which seems unlikely, or they have a better deal -- but either way, it wouldn't impact 1UP staff much.

of course, anyone who works with that sort of tech issue is probably going to get the chop if UGO already has enough people doing it.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I see they are still advertising the mag on the home page.

clipboard02540.png

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is a bummer but we all had to figure it was going to happen sooner or later. Hope everyone does ok.

FrankT

Zeouterlimits said:
Arthur Gies?
You've done articles for 1up, haven't you?
Which means you obviously know alot more than we do.
What the hell could be worse? Are you talking staff cuts (rhetorical, I know you can't answer that)?

Per his twitter.

fuck. 1up.com = pretty much over. more so than is apparent right now.

Damn

LukeSmith said:
I wouldn't call canning 30 people minimal. I'm so sorry, my friends.

Jeez

wow ryan o donnell just posted on twitter that he got laid off

fuckin a

ryan o donnell said:
I just got laid off! Great! Thanks 1UP Show fans. It's been real

Man, I am SUPER bummed out about all this....this is horrible.

Struct09

MikeE21286 said:
wow ryan o donnell just posted on twitter that he got laid off

fuckin a

Man, I am SUPER bummed out about all this....this is horrible.

Nooooooo!! :(

RIP 1up Show :*(

Best wishes to those from the 1up/EGM network that are losing their jobs. You are the best in the business, may you find better work elsewhere.

Zeliard

What an exceptionally shitty way to start off the new year for the 1UP/EGM folks. Sorry guys, hope you bounce back soon.

After this rumor first broke, I really just hoped EGM would die but 1UP would be more or less untouched.

Guess that's not the case. Sucks for everyone involved.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I bet you there will no longer be 1up podcasts.

Only morons would make this decision btw. Podcasts are what help build the community and loyalty.

As long as GiantBomb is fine though.

Quazar

Really weird EGM won't be around anymore. I think the majority of us American gamers grew up with it. I can't remember a year I went without an EGM through my 24 years of living.

Crateman

Do you guys remember how, before Jeff Green announced he was leaving 1Up, they had someone from Maxis at the Brodeo as a guest?

Let me fantasize about a Giant Bomb + the 1Up staff...

EDIT:

RYAN GOT THE BOOT?!?!?! NO MORE 1UP SHOW?!?!?!

vadernoooooo.gif

:(

FUCK!!!

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
I wouldn't call canning 30 people minimal. I'm so sorry, my friends.
ack

Out of how many? One is too many, I'm just wondering how many could be left after a layoff of that size. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom