• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Apple TV 4K came today. I was thrilled to discover that all of my Vudu UHD movies ported over to 4K. I was then surprised to see that a good number of my Vudu HDX movies are 4K HDR. I only tested Baby Driver, War for the Planet of the Apes, Deadpool, The Martian, and the last Fast & Furious movie, but they were definitely 4K. I tested Deadpool first and thought it was because I redeemed a UHD code on UV through Vudu and Vudu doesn't have 4K Deadpool, but Baby Driver I definitely got in 1080p.

So we have conflicting accounts. They better not take my pixels!!!

Apple TV 4K came today. I was thrilled to discover that all of my Vudu UHD movies ported over to 4K. I was then surprised to see that a good number of my Vudu HDX movies are 4K HDR. I only tested Baby Driver, War for the Planet of the Apes, Deadpool, The Martian, and the last Fast & Furious movie, but they were definitely 4K. I tested Deadpool first and thought it was because I redeemed a UHD code on UV through Vudu and Vudu doesn't have 4K Deadpool, but Baby Driver I definitely got in 1080p.

So we have conflicting accounts. They better not take my pixels!!!

None of the Fast and Furious movies are on iTunes in 4K, for anybody.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wonder if there's any hope of getting my old Flixter videos on this. I had a bunch of movies on there and they all vanished. Did the transfer to Vudu and none of them came over.

Wonder if there's any hope of getting my old Flixter videos on this. I had a bunch of movies on there and they all vanished. Did the transfer to Vudu and none of them came over.
I had my flixster account connected to UV. I connected UV to VUDU then synced VUDU with MA.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are the films that didn’t transfer by chance Paramount, MGM, or Lionsgate films?

Some, but not all. I didn't have a ton of films on the account. The only movie that transferred for me was LEGO Batman. I log in and that's the only film that appears, but I still have the app on my ipad and that shows me all my old movies (though I can't do anything with them).

Ones that did not...

Star Trek Beyond
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
All three Bourne Identity movies
Deadpool
The Martian
Mission Impossible 1-3 and Ghost Protocol
All 3 seasons of 60's Batman
Extended editions of first two Hobbit Films

Sent in a CS ticket to Flixter. Will see what comes of that since it seems like it's on their end.

Like I mentioned, you still can upgrade a title by gifting it to yourself.

I don’t buy that pulling 4K files has anything to do with licensing though. That literally makes no sense. Delaying? Sure. But putting out, then pulling, then returning? Wha??

Edit - I also have 5 HD codes that got upgraded to 4K. The only codes I didn’t get upgraded (that have UHD versions available) were SD codes that got upgraded to HD as a part of the MA on-boarding process.

Now.... HD redemptions going forward? Yeah I’d like to hear people report first before I use that reliably.

So I bought a Transformers 5 iTunes HD code off of some website, and it totally worked. Redeemed in 4K, plays in 4K, like I bought it off the iTunes Store itself. So I guess the senior advisor was incorrect: MA transfers don’t play in 4K, but disc redeems do

Fox Mulder

My DMA account finally migrated after trying since this launched.

All those vaulted titles immediately trickle into Vudu. Nice.

So I think I messed up here. I redeemed a Baby Driver code last night from the SonyPictures.com/uvredeem site which put it on my Vudu account, but it's not carrying over to MA. Looks like I should've redeemed directly on the MA site/app.

Do I have any recourse here? Any way to get the entitlement for the movie to show up on MA?

So I think I messed up here. I redeemed a Baby Driver code last night from the SonyPictures.com/uvredeem site which put it on my Vudu account, but it's not carrying over to MA. Looks like I should've redeemed directly on the MA site/app.

Do I have any recourse here? Any way to get the entitlement for the movie to show up on MA?

Same thing happened for me. I don't have an answer at this time except possibly to redeem from the Movies Anywhere site from here on out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
4K codes: redeem to movies anywhere first, otherwise your preferred provider second
HD codes: redeem to Apple first (for 4K entitlement), otherwise Movies Anywhere, otherwise your preferred retailer

This is my best guess currently

Rirse

Neo Member
I thought SD on Vudu gets turned into HD elsewhere? I had to use the disc to digital method on my dvd for Gone With the Wind since the bluray won't read and the digital code is expired, but it stlll shows up as SD on itunes. I didn't really want to pay 5 since the digital code should still worked since it expired last month, but it a invalid code now.

Does anyone have a fix for itunes purchases showing up as SD in Vudu? I still haven't heard back from customer support and I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting both itunes and Vudu from my movies anywhere account. It's driving me kinda nuts.

Weevilone

Does anyone have a fix for itunes purchases showing up as SD in Vudu? I still haven't heard back from customer support and I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting both itunes and Vudu from my movies anywhere account. It's driving me kinda nuts.

I've tried to ask Movies Anywhere. They just recommend generic BS and close the case. Sadly we seem to be squarely in the arena where what worked yesterday might now work tomorrow.

I signed up for this and redeemed a bunch of digital copies of movies from my old Blu-rays that were supposedly expired. This is amazing. What was I waiting for making the jump to digital with movies?!

DOWN

Banned
I signed up for this and redeemed a bunch of digital copies of movies from my old Blu-rays that were supposedly expired. This is amazing. What was I waiting for making the jump to digital with movies?!
You were waiting for something like this to end the fragmented trash of digital movie ownership

One app to rule them all

Looks like Apple officially clarified the resolutions:

Apple has spoken with High-Def Digest and clarified:

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/52427/moviesanywhere.html

UPDATE 10/17/17 DIRECTLY FROM APPLE:

Apple is ONLY upgrading iTunes Store purchases and HD code redemptions to 4K. Everything else will stay at the original purchase or redemption resolution, be it 4K or HD.

To clarify...

If you PURCHASED a movie or REDEEMED a Digital Copy IN iTunes AND it's available in iTunes in 4K, you get a free 4K upgrade and will be able to play that back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

If you PURCHASED a digital movie in 4K somewhere else, like VUDU, AND it's available in iTunes in 4K, you'll be able to play this title back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

If you REDEEMED a Digital Copy code from a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray somewhere else AND it's available in iTunes in 4K AND that specific movie studio allows for 4K redemption on this specific title, you'll be able to play that back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

But...

If you PURCHASED an HD version of a movie on VUDU, or one of the other streaming services, it will only playback in HD even when there is a 4K copy available in iTunes.

If you REDEEMED a Digital Copy from an HD Blu-ray in Movies Anywhere or VUDU or Ultraviolet, it will playback in HD even when there is a 4K copy available in iTunes. Please also note that some studios sell 4K Blu-rays with "HD" Digital Copies included.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/77gax4/apple_clarifies_movies_anywhere_free_4k_upgrades/

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah the 4K code redemption part is sketchy, but my understanding is it’s sketchy across all services. Oh well I guess.

At least it’s been officially said that 4K purchases will come back across to iTunes. And that going forward HD redeemed directly on iTunes will upgrade.

I did just redeem Transformers and it shows on my account page as redeemed 4K HDR. Thought that was weird. Too bad it’s paramount.

That's weird... I definitely bought the HDX version of Baby Driver on Vudu, but my Apple TV 4K version definitely is 4K. Same with War for the Planet of the Apes. Probably others. Maybe because I had to contact Apple CS to get my library linked? Who knows. I'm digging it though.

And you’re POSITIVE they’re playing in 4K? It’ll say you have the 4K version on the video page but it won’t actually play at that resolution. If you swipe down while it’s playing it’ll just say HD

Argyle

If it's showing up in Vudu try unlinking and relinking your Vudu account.

entremet

What I always wanted. I hate physical media for movies and this is amazing since it makes purchasing digitally more appealing. I’m sticking with Apple due to the 4K upgrades being free, but if I ever leave the Apple religion lol, I’m not stuck.

Rirse

Neo Member
Wow, I didn't notice until today that I was suppose to had a copy of 101 Dalamations from Movies Anywhere when I redeemed the bluray a while back that somehow didn't transfer to itunes or any of the services. I only thought of this when looking at movies that I had codes for and tried redeeming it to get a message about it being used already. Figured I had it from a used store and called to get it replaced, but instead find out I was the one who used the code and somehow the digital copy is in limbo. The Disney Movie Anywhere website even shows it there as part of my movies, but it didn't sync to any services for some reason.

Had to use the text chat (phone was taking forever) which they said it should be getting added to my library in the next few days. So at least I don't have to worry about that movie, especially since it in the Vault right now.

Chesskid1

Banned
i just bought digital movies for the first time, after only using codes from blu-ray for forever.

good job, movies anywhere.

anyway i purchased both 300 movies, live dive repeat, and all of the lotr:ee for $12 bucks total after tax and disc to digital on vudu using the UPC master list.

they showed up on amazon and itunes instantly.

bless.

why does amazon have custom art for some movies? looks like fanart for a few of them, like inception, mad max fury road.

Fox Mulder

Wow, I didn't notice until today that I was suppose to had a copy of 101 Dalamations from Movies Anywhere when I redeemed the bluray a while back that somehow didn't transfer to itunes or any of the services. I only thought of this when looking at movies that I had codes for and tried redeeming it to get a message about it being used already. Figured I had it from a used store and called to get it replaced, but instead find out I was the one who used the code and somehow the digital copy is in limbo. The Disney Movie Anywhere website even shows it there as part of my movies, but it didn't sync to any services for some reason.

Had to use the text chat (phone was taking forever) which they said it should be getting added to my library in the next few days. So at least I don't have to worry about that movie, especially since it in the Vault right now.

Gotta get those vaulted titles. I was ready to write off my DMA after it would never migrate, but it eventually did. Aladdin, 101 dalmatians, sleeping beauty, jungle book, etc. All in my Vudu now.

It's really fucking dumb the vault still exists.

DOWN

Banned
No doubt that one will be back for the live action remake. The vault is dumb and only lasts 3-5 years for each popular film usually iirc

//ARCANUM

Hey! I just saw that Attack the Block is on sale for $4.99 on amazon video. It shows up in the movies anywhere search, so if I buy it on amazon video, it should show up in my movies anywhere library right?

Edit - bought it and wow, synced to movies anywhere INSTANTLY.

Just wanted to update folks on this issue for anyone else having this problem. My copy of Alien Covenant finally went from SD to HDX on Vudu. Not sure if it just fixed itself as the service settles in or if it was because I contacted customer support. They never replied, but maybe it brought it to someone's attention. Hope things are working for everyone else!

Hey! I just saw that Attack the Block is on sale for $4.99 on amazon video. It shows up in the movies anywhere search, so if I buy it on amazon video, it should show up in my movies anywhere library right?

Edit - bought it and wow, synced to movies anywhere INSTANTLY.

I’ve been wanting to watch that. BOUGHT

For anyone who cares it’s also on sale on iTunes

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This Apple situation is really pissing me off. I gave away hundreds of iTunes codes because they were an inferior service at the time.

Weevilone

I just broke all the links and re-created them.

All my Fox titles that were UHD in iTunes but SD in Vudu are now HDX in Vudu.

All of them also show up in Vudu as if I just purchased them.

Ashhong

I'm still lost on what the best strategy is here. I'm about to redeem Logan but not sure what to redeem it on. It's just regular HD. Would iTunes be the best since I may get 4K from that? I have no way to watch 4K iTunes though, but I do with everything else

I'm still lost on what the best strategy is here. I'm about to redeem Logan but not sure what to redeem it on. It's just regular HD. Would iTunes be the best since I may get 4K from that? I have no way to watch 4K iTunes though, but I do with everything else

I would do itunes for that one. I know you can't watch 4k itunes right now, but maybe you'll have a way in the future and since it's HD, you wouldn't be getting it in 4k anywhere else.

Weevilone

I would do itunes for that one. I know you can't watch 4k itunes right now, but maybe you'll have a way in the future and since it's HD, you wouldn't be getting it in 4k anywhere else.

Agreed. I mean doing it that way gives you UHD on iTunes and HD everywhere else. Redeeming anywhere else gets you HD everywhere. Someday there may be a tipping point where an Apple TV makes sense, especially when that box will ultimately play everything under the MA umbrella.

And you’re POSITIVE they’re playing in 4K? It’ll say you have the 4K version on the video page but it won’t actually play at that resolution. If you swipe down while it’s playing it’ll just say HD

Ah... you appear to be correct. They still look amazing and there's HDR going on, but it just says HD. False advertising! Of course, several movies I own in 4K on Vudu are doing the HD thing too. Might have to complain some.

shanafan

Try redeeming directly in MA app. I got inception to work by inputting it directly in the MA app despite it not working in iTunes.

So, I am in this weird loop when trying to redeem a digital code for Batman (1989).
  1. I try to redeem on MoviesAnywhere, but it says:
"This Digital Movie Code is not supported by Movies Anywhere. Please visit http://wb.com/redeemdigital to redeem."
  1. So, I click on the link and choose "Redeem Digital Movie".
  2. I enter the code, and the WB website takes me back to the Movies Anywhere redemption page - basically repeating step 1.
Any ideas?

Top Bottom