• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Android phone?

brau

I love my S8+.

OLED screen is worth it. But I'm sure there are other options that are not as expensive.

Isn't OK Google intrinsically battery-hungry, though? I mean, this feature requires the phone to be listening and interpreting the audio input constantly. How is that going to save juice?

I meant I wanted the device to have the option to toggle OK Google off and on in the power saving settings, which it currently does not have the capability to do so. It can toggle other power saving options such as background apps, AOD, screen resolution, etc but not OK Google.

TI82

Banned
Galaxy s8 series is miles ahead of anything coming out of Apple these days. Also really intrigued by the Moto z force but can't say if it's good or not.

MutFox

Banned
Sony Xperia XZ Premium seems to perform better than an S8.
That's from what I've looked up.
They're comparable though.

The Sony also has a 900fps+ capture.
I don't think any other phone has that.
It also has a headphone jack and microsd.

The S8 has a nicer bezel though.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium seems to perform better than an S8.
That's from what I've looked up.
They're comparable though.

The Sony also has a 900fps+ capture.
I don't think any other phone has that.
It also has a headphone jack and microsd.

The S8 has a nicer bezel though.

Who really needs 900+ fps?
S8 still takes better pics in any light and better videos.

Loving my new LG V30+.

They'll have to pry my 3.5mm jack out of my cold dead hands.

128gb on board storage and a 200gb sd card should be enough for my CD rips and FLACs.

Wanted the pixel for stock android, but a sd card slot and a headphone jack with a great dac/amp combo sold me on it. The camera is nice too.

I have a Huawei Mate 9, as of about 6 weeks ago and I really like it. Really nice design, powerful & fast, and much cheaper than comparative handsets from more well-known brands, at least here in the west.

Although your best bet for the highest-end hardware is probably one of the most modern Samsung flagship devices. The Galaxy 8 or Note 8, I guess. Or maybe a Sony handset, but I don't know if they're still competing in that side of the market.

I can definitively say NOT a Motorola G5...

I had a Motorola G4 and really liked it for the most part, but after about 8 months it started getting screen burn-in. It might not have been a high-end handset but I don't expect hardware from a prominent brand like that to crap out so quickly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
S8+ is still the best top end value buy due to it being 6 months old now so pricing has dropped and the Note 8 hitting the market.

The Note 8, V30, and Pixel XL2 are all great and arguably better than the S8+, but not at the value you can find the S8+ at currently.

javac

I've got the Nokia 8, it's pretty good. Beautiful screen, top of the line specs and pure stock android, missing water proofing however, just splash and dust resistant.

Also has 3.5mm jack :)

Would also recommend the Nokia 8. Moved from a S6 to a Nokia 5 myself and barring some slowdowns due to the lower end Snapdragon 430 chipset, absolutely no complaints. Great battery life as well. Planning to upgrade to the Nokia 9 next year for sure.

Condom

Because his question negated his requirements. The consensus for reviews is the best android phones don't have headphone jacks anymore.
That's not the consensus at all. S8 arguably is the best out right now, it just has everything. LG G6/V30 is cool too but have a worse front camera. I don't use that but quite a lot of people use it.

Pixel didn't even have waterproofing.

Because his question negated his requirements. The consensus for reviews is the best android phones don't have headphone jacks anymore.

That's bullshit. Maybe for the thread title, but for the OP itself the question is "What's the best android phone WITH a headphone jack and PREFERABLY with an SD slot". Besides, so many amazing reviewed Android phones still have headphone jacks. The OP5 is a perfect example.

Mindwipe

S8 (or 8+). Samsung have a lot of software features that are significantly better than stock/Google Android now (reachability, Knox privacy for secure photo storage, better backup, better laid out stock contacts app, more reliable texting app), so having "stock" Android is really not a benefit.

If there are things you don't like they can be changed, the hardware is still top of the class, and you can buy it pretty cheaply. The battery is great, it looks fantastic, it has an SD card and a headphone slot, and no ugly camera bump.

Big Blue

What kind of pretentious nonsense is this?? It's like the idea of context doesn't exist on NeoGAF.

reKon

Banned
I could argue that S7 Edge exynos version is still a better buy than a majority of phones this year. Fight me.

linkboy

Oddly it seems the issue is mostly with the Pixel 2 XL as LG also manufactures the screen for the V30 without any noticeable issues. It's like all the bad batches went towards the Pixel 2 XL. Why would LG do such a thing? :]

I'm thinking its due to sRGB being enabled by default. When I turn on the option on my Pixel XL, the screen gets really washed out.

Oddly it seems the issue is mostly with the Pixel 2 XL as LG also manufactures the screen for the V30 without any noticeable issues. It's like all the bad batches went towards the Pixel 2 XL. Why would LG do such a thing? :]

That's incorrect. Head over to the LG v30 subreddit and there are tons of people complaining about the screen.

I have one and there is very noticeable banding and discoloration at the bottom right corner.

Honestly it would be by far the best phone I've ever owned if I wasn't so disappointed in the screen.

reKon

Banned
Yeah whatever. Use one and you won't care. Camera is better than you think. I have the fingerprint scanner, bought a UK version.

I've owned a Xperia Z3 Compact so I would care. The camera on my S7 edge has spoiled me. At the same time I can see what you're saying because obviously the Sony camera would have improved by this time. It's just that the S7 is really really good and reviewers have suggested that Sony still struggles with low light performance.

It's very likely that I consider Sony again once they update their design and if they can get more serious about their camera vs Google, Apple, and Samsung.

hiim_haz

Banned
I'd say Google Pixel or Google Pixel XL 2, but considering you want a headphone jack the Pixel XL 2 isn't an option.

I'd avoid Samsung in general, despite how good their hardware is the software experience isn't great. I know TouchWiz has improved a lot since the early days, if you're asking the best Android experience, it's stock Android.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
The OnePlus 5T is about to get announced. Don't waste money on a $900+ flagship

No microsd, but with 128gb onboard storage....

Guess I'll wait for this to replace my OPO. Finally.

Edit:

When is the 5T being announced and released?

Edit 2: Ah, November. Hopefully I can have it in my hands by beginning of December.

I'd say Google Pixel or Google Pixel XL 2, but considering you want a headphone jack the Pixel XL 2 isn't an option.

I'd avoid Samsung in general, despite how good their hardware is the software experience isn't great. I know TouchWiz has improved a lot since the early days, if you're asking the best Android experience, it's stock Android.

While stock android has been great for me for 4+ years, I don't think it is worth $849. If I am paying that much for a phone, I am expecting something really unique or competing with top of the line HW.

Guess I'll wait for this to replace my OPO. Finally.

Edit:

When is the 5T being announced and released?

Edit 2: Ah, November. Hopefully I can have it in my hands by beginning of December.

If it's anything like they did with the 5, they'll have a "pre-purchase" program for early adopters to get theirs shortly after it's announced.

I'm really hoping for an IP certification on the 5T. It's the only thing I wish my OP5 had.

IMO it is hard to go wrong these days if you're buying a flagship phone. They're all pretty good and the specs are all comparable. The different skins/launchers used to suck but they're all pretty good now and/or have been toned down considerably. Although I strongly prefer stock Android so if I really needed a phone with a headphone jack I'd get a Pixel XL (not the 2).

Isn't OK Google intrinsically battery-hungry, though? I mean, this feature requires the phone to be listening and interpreting the audio input constantly. How is that going to save juice?

Maybe, but the last three phones I've had (Pixel XL, Moto X Pure, Moto X) had excellent battery life. If OK Google drains the battery, which it presumably does, it uses so little power you're not going to notice it.

reKon

Banned
Mentioning stock Android for the reason for getting Pixel phones automatically earns you a L.

Having access to more software updates compared to other phones is a plus, but matters less these days. Like what incredible feature is still missing now that notifications have pretty much been perfected? Nougat itself right now is very good.

The number one reason for the Pixel 2 are it's stengths: great peformance, top of the line camera, and dual speakers.

For me the Android competition is too strong too drop that kind of money on a Pixel 2. We have relatively cheap, reliable Micro SD cards that are fast enough for 4k recording...

128GB of expandable storage for around $40....

I'd consider a Panda XL 2 at $600 probably.

That's incorrect. Head over to the LG v30 subreddit and there are tons of people complaining about the screen.

I have one and there is very noticeable banding and discoloration at the bottom right corner.

Honestly it would be by far the best phone I've ever owned if I wasn't so disappointed in the screen.

I guess I lucked out. I haven't noticed any banding or screen discoloration on my device. One thing I did notice though on the V30 is the autobacklight's tendency to go take the backlight down to zero in a dark environment which is normally fine but not so great when watching a video. It would be great if there was some way to have more control over the backlight auto settings to prevent it from being as aggressive.

Related question-- what improvements to the S8 are there over the S7?

I love my S7 but the battery is getting feeble and I have burn-in. It's well over a year old and I may make the jump for the holidays.

Top Bottom