• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 gets a new update with fixes and improvements

So I loaded up an earlier Silent Hill 2 save to see how well the fog has been changed on 1.02:

Sorry for the bad quality of the images, but that's the best I could really get right now. While it's not game-breaking, it's annoying that Konami haven't fixed a notorious bug that completely kills the atmosphere of the game. I thought Tom said that they were reading forums to see all of the bugs players had so that they could fix them. I really doubt they would have missed out on this problem.

For a moment I thought the Zohar was rising from the lake.

190px-Original_Zohar_Xenosaga.jpg

Yeah, it'll never get fixed properly. Glad I didn't hold my breath on this one. Silent Hill Vita was probably finished a few months ago but they're holding it for some damage control due to the HD fiasco.

I'm officially done with Silent Hill. :(

Based on what I've played so far in Silent Hill 3 post-patch, it's still a garbage port. I wasn't expecting much with a patch anyway. However, the performance and voice-synching seem much better.

Yeah, Hulett bailed from the thread quickly once people started noticing how deep and abundant the problems were. He was long gone by the time those THIS GAME SUCKS videos released.

Probably busy preaching how everyone are just hating on the new SH stuff released the last many years because it wasn't made in Japan.

I've heard bad things about Silent Hill 2's PC port so I would recommend going with the PS2 or Xbox versions unless someone can correct me on this.

It's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. It got more blocky shadows and apparently a bit less thick fog (not as bad as the collection at all) but running the SH2 in 1080p is fucking awesome, not a bad way to play the game at all.

Thanks for the link. It's a good reminder for people still considering the collection thinking "it's probably not too bad". This collection is so messed up.

Should probably also mention that they completely spoiler both games in that video. So only watch it if you completed both games before.

Really? I bought the collection as a Silent Hill virgin and really enjoyed my time with 2.

Yet to play 3, but I didn't have any issues with the game whatsoever.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Really? I bought the collection as a Silent Hill virgin and really enjoyed my time with 2.

A bunch of stuff is really bad if you compare it to the original games. I guess if you play it for the first time it won't bother you as much.
But in comparison the originals are a lot better.

A bunch of stuff is really bad if you compare it to the original games. I guess if you play it for the first time it won't bother you as much.
But in comparison the originals are a lot better.

Well yeah, but it's wrong to say that the HD remakes are bad games. If it's your only way of experiencing Silent Hill then I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to give it a shot.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well yeah, but it's wrong to say that the HD remakes are bad games. If it's your only way of experiencing Silent Hill then I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to give it a shot.

But only if you really really have no other way. I recommend watching the whole video when you're finished with SH3.
Also, going purely by performance SH3 seems to have a lot more issues (at least on PS3).

How bad is the 360 version? I never finished 2 before my PS2 got stolen ages ago, and never touched 3 and want to give them both a shot.

If I'm itching for some survival horror, what are my other options on 360? Are the other SH games garbage?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How bad is the 360 version? I never finished 2 before my PS2 got stolen ages ago, and never touched 3 and want to give them both a shot.

If I'm itching for some survival horror, what are my other options on 360? Are the other SH games garbage?

The 360 version is .. ok at best .. the PS3 version had way more bugs and issues, the patch this topic is about mostly brought it up to the same shittyness as the 360 version. Not a good port job either way though. SH3 is a much better port than SH2 (new voice acting notwithstanding).

On 360 you can also try ..

- Fatal Frame 1 & 2 (via backwards compatibility, both games work great, no frame drops or weird glitches)
- Alone in the Dark (shitty)
- Deadly Premonition (Amazing, but in all the different ways)
- Silent Hill Downpour (some people on GAF love it, some absolutely hate it, I thought it was an average game at best).
- Amy (ambitious XBLA game that has some reaaaaaaaaaal shitty control problems).

probably a few more.

Liamario

Banned
Sweet Jeebus, that is reallly not acceptable. How the hell have Konami gotten away with it and why didn't they just leave things alone and not break the bloody game!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Holy crap... did they fix any of these major sound issues? The missing effects and cues alone make the collection a no-buy.

They fixed some of them in the PS3 version, but 360 owners are shit out of luck since Konami cancelled the patch for the 360 version.

They fixed some of them in the PS3 version, but 360 owners are shit out of luck since Konami cancelled the patch for the 360 version.

Which is shitty when you see that MS gives them the first patch for free. So they wouldn't fix a broken game for free but will pay to patch a game that works perfectly fine (MGS4)

Yet to play 3, but I didn't have any issues with the game whatsoever.

Silent Hill 2 HD is the lesser of the two evils, and was before the patch too. It's still not a very good port, though.

Top Bottom