• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X, Monster Hunter Portable 3 Vita listed for US Release

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Thinking about this more - it really may just be the PSP version of MH3rdP G.

Goes back to what we were bleating on about an age ago - that it didn't make any sense for Capcom to walk away from the PSP and i don't think it's particularly going to matter : people who bought a 3DS got to play the superior 3G and will be there day one for MH4.

This just means that the PSP players get their 3rd G expansion (probably still lacking

Would seem odd at this point in time to go back and translate 3rd P, so perhaps the semi-expected 3rdP G as a finale (?)

Only spanner in the works would be if during all this Capcom make mention of MH4th. I seriously wouldn't die of shock if it gets announced for PSP (*NOT* Vita).

Putting out a HD version for Vita along with a PSP version is how i thought this would all shake down before 3DS , i guess we'll see.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thinking about this more - it really may just be the PSP version of MH3rdP G.
Or it really may just be Portable 3rd... Having news of 3rd G leak out first for a US localisation before it's even announced as an upcoming title in Japan makes little sense.... Also, while Tri had certain differences to 3rd in content I don't see what they could do so differently for a low cost expansion to 3rd that would still differentiate it from Tri G enough to be a different title since that one incorporates and expands elements from both... Tri G is as much 3rd G in the end given how much of that it takes on. Especially if it's for Vita which means the PSP specs wouldn't stop them from having the water stuff or whatever else was cut in 3rd.

I don't see how "thinking about this more" can give any additional clues or more likely possibilities as to what it might be...

yurinka

Listing the Japanese name of the game for a US launch? That's just a placeholder, they only posted some names they guessed are going to be released, or maybe it's just the PSP version emulated.
Nothing to see here

DCharlie

Or it really may just be Portable 3rd... Having news of 3rd G leak out first for a US localisation before it's even announced as an upcoming title in Japan makes little sense.... Also, while Tri had certain differences to 3rd in content I don't see what they could do so differently for a low cost expansion to 3rd that would still differentiate it from Tri G enough to be a different title since that one incorporates and expands elements from both... Tri G is as much 3rd G in the end given how much of that it takes on. Especially if it's for Vita which means the PSP specs wouldn't stop them from having the water stuff or whatever else was cut in 3rd.

Indeed, it may well be just Portable 3rd.

Though previous activity isn't an indicator of future activity, the US versions of PSP MH games are the Japanese G versions. It would "fit the pattern" if this is actually a PSP release - right now, god and Capcom probably only know for sure.

I'm actually curious as to what the limitation is that prevents the PSP having the underwater sections - i can't for the life of me understand why it wasn't possible.

Anyways, if i was a predicting man (and i think recent activity shows i really should quit ;)) i'd go with us getting MH3rdG PSP (named as MHP3 in the west to finally bring the naming convention -almost- in line) and possibly quicker than expected. I think they'd need to roll this out and get it out of the way in the early part of this year.

I guess if i'm honest/selfish it being MH3rdP for the west doesn't bring anything to the table for my hunting life, so that would be disappointing (even if it is a Vita HD version). I guess if a Vita version had online -built in- (no adhoc party fiddling) that'd be cool, though it's almost done with.

Listing the Japanese name of the game for a US launch? That's just a placeholder, they only posted some names they guessed are going to be released, or maybe it's just the PSP version emulated.
Nothing to see here

it may go back to my crackhead theory that we are going to have -two- more strictly defined monster hunters : Portable and Numbers, split by platform holder. If they are also pushing Monster Hunter more seriously globally then unifying the name might be an idea. Alternatively, they got some n00bly to do the doc and they plain simple f(cked up.

Alrus

^ I think you're reading way too much into this thinking it's 3rd G tbh. As pointed out by others, this look like a list hastily made together by someone who saw the sony conferences were they showcased a few games and put it in this without knowing better.

Edit: Well you edited your post heh, we'll see if your theory is correct soonish anyway (I think it's a bit crazy but hey, it's Capcom...). My money is on the clueless PR guy theory.

Alexios

Though previous activity isn't an indicator of future activity, the US versions of PSP MH games are the Japanese G versions.
Huh? The pattern? MHP1 was the G version of MH ported and tuned to PSP in Japan, and then released in the West as MHF. It didn't get a G expansion in any region since it already was a G game. MHP2nd and 2nd G, again ported and tuned to PSP from PS2, were both released in the West as MHF2 and MHFU respectively. I thought you were into this series...

As for the whole "Portable series" you brought up and some other people refer to as "the popular ones" as if it's a different thing altogether that Sony can still have, they were only called Portable because they were existing games ported to PSPortable, with Tri G and 4 Capcom seem to have ditched naming each title differently and after the handheld they land on, most likely because with 4 being made for a handheld to begin with they also stop being ports of home console titles and take on the lead themselves even development wise. Portable 3rd was the first to somewhat differentiate potentially out of necessity but again, Tri G seems to have merged that path together with the rest as far as content is concerned. I guess we'll see what they'll come up with in the end...

I'm actually curious as to what the limitation is that prevents the PSP having the underwater sections - i can't for the life of me understand why it wasn't possible.
I think something silly like the amount of needed animations was mentioned as the cause once but don't quote me on that.

yurinka

So it sounds as they prefered to wait and release MHP3rd in Vita instead on PSP for western markets, nope?
So maybe is just the same PSP game the Japanese have in the Vita/PSP PSN but translated and sold as a Vita game with 0 additions?

DCharlie

Huh? The pattern? MHP1 was the G version of MH ported and tuned to PSP in Japan, and then released in the West as MHF. It didn't get a G expansion in any region since it already was a G game. MHP2nd and 2nd G, again ported and tuned to PSP from PS2, were both released in the West as MHF2 and MHFU respectively. I thought you were into this series...

hah, pretty much only the Japanese version (only played Unite briefly, and a fair bit of US Tri) - and for some reason i had no idea there was a MHF2 *shameface*. yup, i'm clearly high again.

john tv

FWIW, the reason "Portable" was changed to "Freedom" is because SCEA had a rule about not allowing "Portable" in the titles of PSP games (another of their many ridiculous rules from that era). I think Portable Ops pretty much broke that (Kojima Power), but even so, at this point it would be strange to break the naming convention if they did bring MHP3 over. (Which I hope they do...and doubt they will.) :/

Conversely, if 3G ever comes out in the US, what do they call it? Tri Unite? :) I prefer "G" myself, but that's from having lived over here through the entire MH boom...

Takao

Banned
SCEA was probably afraid of the Portable connotation of that word.

I wonder if they have anything against the word "NEXT"...

DCharlie

FWIW, the reason "Portable" was changed to "Freedom" is because SCEA had a rule about not allowing "Portable" in the titles of PSP games (another of their many ridiculous rules from that era). I think Portable Ops pretty much broke that (Kojima Power), but even so, at this point it would be strange to break the naming convention if they did bring MHP3 over. (Which I hope they do...and doubt they will.) :/

Conversely, if 3G ever comes out in the US, what do they call it? Tri Unite? :) I prefer "G" myself, but that's from having lived over here through the entire MH boom...

I wonder if they'll avoid 3G because of potential confusion with 3G in the west? ;)

I guess we'll have to see - nothing is confirmed PSP -or- 3DS right now, i'm guessing that'll all get clarified at the start of the year.

Alexios

I hope they keep the G. Unite sounds silly to me. As would Tri 3D since it wouldn't indicate the extra content, just that it's on 3DS...

I guess something like Tri Plus or Tri Dx or Super MonHun Tri might be inoffensive and terms people are used to in some ways...

I wonder if they would also rename the rank in game to match that. G wouldn't make sense in such a scenario, would it?

Low rank, High rank, G rank? Why G and not S rank etc. Did they keep it as G in Unite, I never got that far.

Or maybe they will rename it Tri/3D and make the rank D, lol. And MonHun 4 will just be 4, then the expansion also 4D. Nah...

DCharlie

hope they keep the G. Unite sounds silly to me. As would Tri 3D since it wouldn't indicate the extra content, just that it's on 3DS...

I guess something like Tri Plus or Tri Dx or Super MonHun Tri might be inoffensive and terms people are used to in some ways...

I wonder if they would also rename the rank in game to match that. G wouldn't make sense in such a scenario, would it?

Low rank, High rank, G rank? Why G and not S rank etc. Did they keep it as G in Unite, I never got that far.

Or maybe they will rename it Tri/3D and make the rank D, lol. And MonHun 4 will just be 4, then the expansion also 4D. Nah...

G is for Great in the Japanese games.

I'm hoping that whatever they do there'd be ability to play online cross region so for that reason i'm hoping everything rank/naming/etc wise is kept as consistant as possible (i.e. based on the Japanese version)

edit : tweeted to yosp port-confirm begging :D

gogogow

Tbh, there are a lot more games with portable in the title other than MGSP. So I don't know if there's any truth to that.

- Blokus Portable
- Phantasy Star Portable
- Phantasy Star Portable 2
- Persona 3 Portable
- Super Stardust Portable

I think publishers just change the name for their US release just for the sake of changing it. Just like Everybody's Golf/Minna no Golf changed into Hot Shots Golf Open Tee. Or are you saying that you KNOW it's not allowed, then I won't question you. Anyway it still makes no sense or whatsoever.

Tbh, there are a lot more games with portable in the title other than MGSP. So I don't know if there's any truth to that.

- Blokus Portable
- Phantasy Star Portable
- Phantasy Star Portable 2
- Persona 3 Portable
- Super Stardust Portable

I think publishers just change the name for their US release just for the sake of changing it. Just like Everybody's Golf/Minna no Golf changed into Hot Shots Golf Open Tee. Or are you saying that you KNOW it's not allowed, then I won't question you. Anyway it still makes no sense or whatsoever.

He did said that portable ops broke that.

All the other games are released after 2006 if i remember correctly

Alexios

Er, then why call the system PSPortable in the US if they wanted to distance themselves from the word?

StuBurns

Banned
It's probably more to do with how for example Nintendo put Super before shit, or 64 after etc. It makes it seem like it's more closely tied to the system than maybe it is. Still, a stupid rule. Then again, the trend of having DS games end with DS or Dragon Sword or whatever was pretty embarrassing.

It's probably more to do with how for example Nintendo put Super before shit, or 64 after etc. It makes it seem like it's more closely tied to the system than maybe it is. Still, a stupid rule. Then again, the trend of having DS games end with DS or Dragon Sword or whatever was pretty embarrassing.

How can you hate deadly silence and dawn of sorrow ?

lol

gogogow

He did said that portable ops broke that.

All the other games are released after 2006 if i remember correctly

I see, I thought john tv meant it in a way like "combo breaker", not that it made SCEA abandon the entire "no portable in titles" rule. Anyway, like I said it makes no sense or whatsoever. So okay, since launch not a single game is allowed to have portable in the title, but after MGSPortable, all games are allowed to have it. It was stupid to begin with and it's stupid that they would suddenly allow.

Er, then why call the system PSPortable in the US if they wanted to distance themselves from the word?
That's why SCEA pushed for the name "Playstation VITA", duh!
I have no idea whether they had any say in that matter or not

In fact, KojiPro are terrible for that shit, Sony shouldn't have allowed Portable Ops. Ghost Babel for GB, seriously? Two words that make no sense whatsoever, awful.

To be honest, if you aren't a gamer and someone said the phrase:

METAL GEAR SOLID

to you, you'd think they were talking gibberish. Even moreso now that we have:

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE

Off to the mental hospital we go!

Dreamer RD

Final Fantasy X Vita listed for US Release

0fb255ed09a7.jpg

To be honest, if you aren't a gamer and someone said the phrase:

METAL GEAR SOLID

to you, you'd think they were talking gibberish. Even moreso now that we have:

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE

Off to the mental hospital we go!

Metal Gear Solid is usually the one on my shelf non-gamers ask about..."what the fuck does that mean?"

The japanese love slapping random words together. It's pretty tacky.

gogogow

Metal Gear Solid is usually the one on my shelf non-gamers ask about..."what the fuck does that mean?"

The japanese love slapping random words together. It's pretty tacky.

Shine get! But I don't think it happens too much in a title. Any other examples in which the title is a bunch of words slapped together?

Shine get! But I don't think it happens too much in a title. Any other examples in which the title is a bunch of words slapped together?

Final fantasy , SoulCalibur9sound cool thought) Super Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts(so only after some time did i realized its a moon thingy in the game) .

Lots of RPGS too.

Alrus

The KH subtitles are pretty ridiculous. Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, and 358/2 days...

Then you have stuff like Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy...

friz898

Final fantasy , SoulCalibur9sound cool thought) Super Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts(so only after some time did i realized its a moon thingy in the game) .

Lots of RPGS too.

FF made sense if you read the story by the creator and he truly believed it may be the last game he ever made.

FF made sense if you read the story by the creator and he truly believed it may be the last game he ever made.

Most of the title make sense if you read how they come out with it.

BBS is explained in game so does KH.

Most rpg titles is lead to the game story or is the theme of the game.

but when you 1st know of the title you will just go huh?

Like Bravely Default: Flying Fairy.

yeah.

More like Sony had some issues with what Capcom was doing, and they didn't want to change it.
More like SCEA wanted Capcom dumping resources into a product they wouldn't themselves lift a finger for (updating Ad-Hoc party) and put demands on (trophies, collection release). They'll need to wise up for Vita.

Some of these are fine to question, but is it really that hard to wraps one's mind around "Star Ocean"?

Star ocean is a great title for a rpg set in space.
if only the game have more planets to visit and not set in classic fantasy world 2/3 of the time :(

Slime

Banned
The phrase "sea of stars" has been used in literature to refer to the night sky or space for hundreds of years. Star Ocean is a simple rewording. Nothing out-there about it at all.

saichi

Most of the title make sense if you read how they come out with it.

BBS is explained in game so does KH.

Most rpg titles is lead to the game story or is the theme of the game.

but when you 1st know of the title you will just go huh?

Like Bravely Default: Flying Fairy.

yeah.

so we know it's about flying fairies... :)

Topic Revive.

Definitely hoping this pamphlet is accurate, Lord of Apocalypse was definitely something I wanted.

REALLY REALLY hoping Tales of Innocence comes to NA too, if not I guess I can import it from Europe ?

Hellraider

First of all sorry for the bump and to everyone who probably thought it's a confirmation post.But here is thing:

Back when 3rd portable was released (or announced not sure which one) I was constantly checking UK online stores for a localisation hint or something.One of them,play.com to be precise, had the game listed but you could only give your email so they would inform you when it would be available.

Well,I just got an e-mail that I was able to pre-order it.For vita.(link)

It's probably nothing, but again you never know.Again, I'm really sorry for getting your hopes up.

Top Bottom