• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Meek Mill
Nav
Vic Mensa

Which ones are you listening to

kWQenHI.gif

Koozek

Man, I haven't followed LP in the last decade, but I just checked the lyrics for that recent song Heavy and saw Chester's annotations on Genius:

[Verse 1: Chester Bennington]
I don’t like my mind right now
Stacking up problems that are so unnecessary

Chester Bennington:

To me, an opening lyric is so important. Number one, because it’s your first chance to hook somebody and tell them this is why you should listen to my story. Right? But the other thing is that with a rap verse, you’ve got 16 bars or times however many verses. You got all this real estate to cover, right? What makes it a challenge on a song like this is that you have a lot fewer words. So every word counts more. And if you get the words just right, I feel like there’s a poetry in them in a way to portray your train of thought that’s bigger than the sentence that you would have said, you know?

When we were talking about what was going on, I’d be like, “Dude, I don’t know. Sometimes I find myself getting into these patterns of thinking. Sometimes I find myself getting into these behaviors that I have.” I do all this stuff to try not to do it, and I find myself just doing them again. It’s like I’m compelled to fuck up things in this certain way. Or make things more difficult or just get trapped. It’s like going through that kind of conversation and then getting into it. I think everybody in their own way can relate to that. I mean, for myself, that comes with being an addict. There’s a pattern of thoughts. There’s this compulsion, this obsessive thing that happens in my brain and I can’t get out of it. And that leads to a lie. And that leads to isolation and that leads to all these other things that mess with my life. And so if I just go “Why do I isolate,” and I don’t look at all the other things that cause me to do that then I’m only focusing on a symptom of the overall problem.

That’s one of the things that most people, in their own way, whether they’re addicts or just whatever they’re going—I think most people can relate to being stuck. If you’re in a grieving process of losing a loved one, and you can’t stop thinking about them not being there, you can get into that way of thinking. Even though you’re talking about two totally different things, that one line, “I don’t like my mind right now, stacking up problems that are so unnecessary,” I think everybody could feel that way, whether it’s a single mom and I got bills and I got responsibilities and I got kids to raise and I want to have a life. Just getting caught up on the “I don’t have a life and I have all this other stuff going on” can cause an avalanche of nonsense that goes on in your brain. And for me, the worst conversation for me to have is the one I have about myself in between my two ears.​

[Bridge: Chester Bennington & Kiiara]
I know I'm not the center of the universe
But you keep spinning 'round me just the same

Chester Bennington:

There’s something totally narcissistic as well. And that’s the thing. This song is about ego. Like, when it all boils down to the dirty nasty truth of it all, is the thing that gets all of us caught up is our projected self image or lack of.

That’s the epitome of self-loathing as well—and rubbing it in someone’s face at the same time. Like, “I know I’m not the center of the universe, but you keep spinning around.” For me, that’s the addict and the co-dependent. That’s the person addicted to the thing. That’s the person who’s addicted to the person who’s addicted to the thing.​

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
N***a when they killed my brother, I had to go hard
Put that chopper in his face and then I Bogart

tumblr_nyww06r4541v10hrzo1_500.gif

Glass full of gas, do you got a lighter?
Hand full of ass, why should I retire?
The shit I spit might inspire the messiah
To throw these lives in a lake full of fire
Ain't nothing flier than my fuckin' rims and my tires
And a word to the wise, you better fuckin' recognize
That I been on the block since bitches did the wop
Since Floyd and Damien kept rocks in they socks, n***a

EdZdBVS.gif

Probably ran through a hundred million
Per decade, I'm not phased
and I could spot ya a hundred million before you could ever spot grays

1eoyeb.gif

Lamborghini got a S
Parking lot look like a movie
My sex drive leave her woozy
Got my B-A-B-Y in the two-seat
Queen back in the US, low iron, but you pressed
Who lied and said you next? Crying emojis in my group texts

tumblr_on3lr6qa6u1qms0coo1_500.gif

I told Future I can see the future (woo)
Told my bitch I love you 'fore I knew you (woo)
I know I'm blessed n***a, hallelujah (I'm grateful)
And if you diss me then I might shoot ya (brrrrt)
You don't fuck with me, the feeling mutual (fuck you)
Half these rap n***as owe they jeweler (fuck 'em)
I was selling keys to success (to success)
I was coppin' keys outta Texas (outta Texas)
New Wraith with the stars in it (skrrt skrrt)
New Porsche, condo, living room cars in it (woo)

tumblr_muzfgtXpyI1rnxn7co1_500.gif

Bag
Alert
Major Baaaaaaaag Alert

kanye-dance-1.nocrop.w529.h554.gif

Been drawing today and listening to a lot of rap and reggae. Made a playlist this time with Spotify since the music quality is better. They're missing some songs so I had to make some replacements.
https://open.spotify.com/user/kickmasterkim/playlist/6DbSiBOEonsBW0LFQm1Qyx

Tracklist:
  1. Hempress Sativa – Rock It Ina Dance
  2. Nick Grant - Get Down (Poonana)
  3. Language Arts Crew – The Past Time
  4. R. Kelly – Your Body's Callin
  5. Gwen Stefani – Serious
  6. Tha Connection – Strive
  7. Jean Grae – Give It Up
  8. Common – The Light
  9. Oddisee – Belong to the World
  10. R.A. The Rugged Man – Luv to Fuk
  11. Denai Moore – Does it Get Easier?
  12. EARTHGANG – Voodoo
  13. Mariya Takeuchi – September
  14. Mariya – The Family Circle
  15. Ravyn Lenae – Spice
  16. Sa-Roc – We Can All Fly
  17. Kelis – Friday Fish Fry
  18. Cunninlynguists – Nothing to Give

Wanted Jean Grae's Billy Killer and Language Arts Ghost Man. Also couldn't find Undogmatic's Sunset on YT or Spotify.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There are some bad-to-ehhh-to-okay songs on here. Hit, A$AP Ferg, Held Me Down, Rich, Need Some, NAVUZIMETRO#PT2.. A$AP Ferg and Held Me Down are the standouts, really just A$AP Ferg..

...but his voice is so monotone and he has like no memorable lines, it's so grating and almost cringeworthy. I don't know how much of his image is contributing to this, but you can smell a distinct lack of both swag and confidence in his mic skills or lyrics. His vocals alone are the best case against autotune, and I fuck with autotune generally. It's numbing. None of this is good as stuff like On My Own, Myself, Ttd or Nav, either.

Uzi is the best part of A$AP Ferg.

Carti's verse doesn't appear to be mixed well and stands out like a sore thumb.

Both Sides sounds like a great 21 Savage song until Nav jumps in.

Select features stealing the show, but overall mediocre lyrical and vocal performances making for a mediocre-to-bad project that feigns inspiration.
It's basically Big Fish Theory Part 2.

DominoKid

There are some bad-to-ehhh-to-okay songs on here. Hit, A$AP Ferg, Held Me Down, Rich, Need Some, NAVUZIMETRO#PT2.. A$AP Ferg and Held Me Down are the standouts, really just A$AP Ferg..

...but his voice is so monotone and he has like no memorable lines, it's so grating and almost cringeworthy. I don't know how much of his image is contributing to this, but you can smell a distinct lack of both swag and confidence in his mic skills or lyrics. His vocals alone are the best case against autotune, and I fuck with autotune generally. It's numbing. None of this is good as stuff like On My Own, Myself, Ttd or Nav, either.

Uzi is the best part of A$AP Ferg.

Carti's verse doesn't appear to be mixed well and stands out like a sore thumb.

Both Sides sounds like a great 21 Savage song until Nav jumps in.

Select features stealing the show, but overall mediocre lyrical and vocal performances making for a mediocre-to-bad project that feigns inspiration.
It's basically Big Fish Theory Part 2.

yall talking about Nav like it actually matters what he says.

how are the beats.

did Metro deliver? if he did then Nav could probably read the phonebook over it and it'll be hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom