• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

wamberz1

Fuuka

What in the actual fuck - the one normal gay character in a manga randomly turns straight. This is the worst fucking message ever.
Holy shit are you serious?

I read like 15 chapters before dropping it since it wasn't for me but the one thing I did like was the chapter when they introduce his character and how confident he was about it. Not something I see often in japanese stuff.

That's pretty fucking awful.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 179

I'm sure I've said this before, but I really love these evil Shirayuki panels. She's just so over the top evil / cool.

Kid dumbpire upset at the beginning is pretty cute.

dani_dc

Reiraku Downfall 2-3

It's interesting to see the relationship between the main character and the prostitute.
In a country were intimate relationships tend to be emotionally cold, it's interesting, perhaps even logical, to see how much more open they can be in a professional environment.

While I'm unsure how this particular relationship reflects with the country as a whole, the large amount of "girls bars" and "hostess clubs" which feed of giving men fabricated emotional relationship, makes me think this portrait is not too off the marks.

dani_dc

Fuuka 163

This was somehow worse than I expected.

Let's start with the small things, who is this character? Why is she important to him? What kind of relationship have they so far? If she was ever introduced I have no recollection it.

As a side note, it's annoying that it's impossible to tell her age based in Seo art.

Now onto the big point.

We all know that Seo doesn't know how to write romantic relationships, that's the entire appeal of his work.
This goes a step beyond that though, out of nowhere a homosexual male proclaims his love for a woman. Seo could have tried to pass it off as "actually I just say I'm gay to avoid relationships because I was in love with you all those years", which would been bad on itself but not as bad as "I could only love men but actually now I love you".

The fact that him being gay had no bearing to the story makes this sudden conversion all the more puzzling, why bother at all with making him gay?

Was this character sexuality written all for the sake of this cheap and offensive twist? Was it done on a whim?

Regardless, very poor showing by the author.

Dorksta won!!!!!!
tumblr_otds3l1YH41uu7duto1_1280.jpg

Lexxism

Manga Sales July 10th -16th

*1. 153,726 *,153,726 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.27
*2. *88,509 *,*88,509 Diamond no Ace Act II Vol.8
*3. *69,650 1,104,156 Hunter x Hunter Vol.34
*4. *66,527 *,280,176 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.25
*5. *63,212 *,*63,212 Tokyo Tarareba Musume Vol.9
*6. *61,664 *,*62,844 Poe no Ichizoku: Haru no Yume
*7. *60,424 *,*60,424 Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Vol.8
*8. *59,207 *,*59,207 Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo Vol.6
*9. *55,003 *,*55,003 Watashi no Shounen Vol.3
10. *53,363 *,*53,363 Hajime no Ippo Vol.118

11. *50,025 *,197,538 Gintama Vol.69
12. *48,865 *,100,002 Amaama to Inazuma Vol.9
13. *48,519 *,182,819 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.4
14. *44,165 *,*44,165 Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Vol.6
15. *37,019 *,684,201 Tokyo Ghoul:re Vol.11
16. *28,660 *,*28,660 Mashiro no Oto Vol.18
17. *26,343 *,*26,343 Mangaka to Yakuza Vol.2
18. *25,908 *,*25,908 Kaiou Dante Vol.3
19. *24,614 *,*25,096 Ousama ni Sasagu Kusuriyubi Vol.7
20. *24,046 *,*24,523 Aria Kanzenban: Aria The Masterpiece Vol.6

21. *23,815 *,*81,415 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan Vol.22
22. *22,682 *,*93,162 Sousei no Onmyouji Vol.12
23. *21,945 *,*99,344 Yuragisou no Yuuna-san Vol.6
24. *21,458 *,*21,458 Infection Vol.7
25. *20,463 *,*20,838 Koi wa Tsuzuku yo Dokomademo Vol.3
26. *19,791 *,*79,396 Robot x Laserbeam Vol.1
27. *19,223 *,*19,223 Ryuusui no Tsubasa: Shiki Ryuukou Seika Iden Vol.5
28. *18,779 *,*60,219 Game: Suit no Sukima Vol.3
29. *18,576 *,*39,801 Gunka no Baltzar Vol.10
30. *18,556 *,*37,519 Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou Vol.14

31. *18,530 *,530,390 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.14
32. *18,448 *,318,867 Uchuu Kyoudai Vol.31
33. *18,304 *,164,311 Kakegurui Vol.7
34. *17,591 *,115,870 Blue Giant Supreme Vol.2
35. *17,158 *,*92,823 Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" Vol.4
36. *16,861 *,*17,051 Sayonara Alpha
37. *16,764 *,*20,421 Fate/Grand Order Anthology Comic: Star Vol.5
38. *16,196 *,*16,196 Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei desu ga, Toriaezu Shine Vol.5
39. *15,920 *,355,769 Magi Vol.34
40. *15,741 *,292,983 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.1

41. *15,695 *,247,320 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.3
42. *15,650 *,*57,895 Yuukoku no Moriarty Vol.3
43. *15,570 *,*15,570 Domestic na Kanojo Vol.14
44. *15,502 *,273,567 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.2
45. *15,449 *,*53,810 Ultraman Vol.10
46. *14,925 *,*40,632 Sengoku Gonbee Vol.7
47. *14,707 *,*14,707 Domestic na Kanojo Vol.14 Special Edition
48. *14,680 *,*26,290 Mahou Shoujo of the End Vol.15
49. *14,532 *,*61,184 Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochiwarui Vol.3
50. *14,509 2,530,826 One Piece Vol.85
Daiya no Ace II doing some work. It must be because of Sawamura's greatness

Arabesque

Dorksta won!!!!!!

I understand the idea is that she's wearing a corset, hence why her boobs are accentuated. But Noelle looks like she's a nanosecond away from a nip slip on the right breast. Ridiculous.

Okay results, at least Yuno didn't come in first or second, and Yami and Noelle are in the top 3. Shame about everyone who lost to the bird.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I decided to start a re-read of Velvet Kiss. I remember why I both loved and hated this manga. The fucking ending makes me rage. I'm not sure I'll be able to get through it again.
I need something similar with a happy ending.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch179

While she makes for a good final boss, I hope she gets further characterization.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch16

Who knows, maybe he'll actually be a good captain.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch46

Surprised he managed to hold long enough.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch46

Really, it's mono no aware in high school romance form. No wonder Uso likes it.

Lain

I decided to start a re-read of Velvet Kiss. I remember why I both loved and hated this manga. The fucking ending makes me rage. I'm not sure I'll be able to get through it again.
I need something similar with a happy ending.

From what I remember, the ending to Velvet Kiss was good. It implied they'll reunite one day.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
From what I remember, the ending to Velvet Kiss was good. It implied they'll reunite one day.

You're absolutely right that it's implied, but it's still hurts my heart the way they just go their separate ways despite being in love.

Emotional connections and such.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The last chapter of Fairy Tail comes out this weekend.

Over/under on the number of the time the word "friends" is used.

Also how many random children from random pairings will be shown

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Kaguya wants to be confessed to - 1 to 22 Hey I now get the OT title. Also holy shit this is funny. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this because it is basically a comedy revolving around my most hated thing in romance manga's to an extreme. Also also the art's gotten way better as it keeps going as opposed to the janky style in the beginning. Also also also this moment:

aZPdxgj.png

kZ3H0EF.png

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch873

So much for a smooth escape, lol.

Shokugeki no Soma ch224

Funny how Mimasaka is likely the only one who's going to win this round despite cooking for two.

My Hero Academia ch146

Guy is pretty honorable in his crazy way.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch47

Good thing he has friends he can count on.

upandaway

One Piece

Did big mom just rampage around down flailing the corpse of her son after she drained the life from him? This arc is insane

Engaged to the Unidentified Vol.7 ch.8
The thing that's probably more concerning than a minor consuming alcohol (well, raw chocolate covered in alcohol) is the fact that apparently this isn't the first time this has happened to Kobeni. Though I definitely didn't expect that shift in personality to be the result.

On the plus side, progress was made on the relationship. Even if the confession was somewhat drowned out by all the rabble. Hakuya had to have heard her. Probably...he fucking better have heard it.

Someday, We'll Get There ch.4
As much as I enjoy fighting games and watching people improve and get real good at them, I'm leaning more towards ZTT as the teacher better suited for Mino. She certainly has the right idea about fun with playing video games.

Junji Ito's Fragments of Horror

Small collection of horror short stories of varying degrees of quality and themes by Junji Ito, but all of them are at least entertaining. Have to give credit to the actual cover of the collection having this spread

Thinly layered over the top so that you can only slightly see it in certain light, and if you remove the covering the hardback is the art itself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why do you masochists keep reading Seo trash? Fool you 3 times, shame on you.

I mean, Seo loves his side couples, but turning a gay character straight is pretty damn bad. Especially given its essentially out of nowhere. Mikasa didn't give any indication whatsoever he was into either women, or Tomomi in particular. I don't even remember them interacting at all.

Dynedom

I mean, Seo loves his side couples, but turning a gay character straight is pretty damn bad. Especially given its essentially out of nowhere. Mikasa didn't give any indication whatsoever he was into either women, or Tomomi in particular. I don't even remember them interacting at all.

I wish I could discuss this with you but on the surface....it seems like Seo trash

KNIM was enough to make me swear of his stuff.

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 33

Wow okay. There was a lot to unpack there. Not sure how I feel about that party acting so high and mighty when they just dumped a bunch of people into the water effectively locking their deaths to eternity and dooming their spirits to wander the dungeon just for trying to steal a little. They're ultra jerks and they suck at dungeoning too. Hmph. I hope they won't cause any more trouble.

Always cool to hear more about Laius' party, obviously there's been a lot of hints that they're actually top tier but not a lot of background. Chilchak though bro chill out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mashira Chapters 1-6

It's kind of refreshing to see a MC for once immediately notice there is a problem and put his game face on right away.

Apparently every animal on the mountain is an asshole. Wonder if the explanation is going to be a government experiment or a curse.

Killer Monkeys
Rabid Hounds
Asshole neighborhood cat. Not sure if it became an asshole because it was in the mountains or it just was acting like a cat.

Angry Grimace

One Piece ch873

So much for a smooth escape, lol.

Shokugeki no Soma ch224

Funny how Mimasaka is likely the only one who's going to win this round despite cooking for two.

My Hero Academia ch146

Guy is pretty honorable in his crazy way.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch47

Good thing he has friends he can count on.

I bet you that all three of them lose handily.

bobohoro

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 179

So this manga is really going into it's last arc, huh? Gonna miss it. Hopefully it ends on a high note.
I'm pretty sure that there will be quite a lot of gut punches waiting, since I came to care quite a bit about pretty much all of the characters involved.

Once the chicken scratch starts you know it's going on hiatus. Dude should swallow his pride and just dictate the rest of the manga to another artist.

Chase17

So I guess it got Food Wars'd, and will be titled Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. Don't love it!

The Kaguya and dead dead demon summary's seem interesting. Might try them out. Is Black Torch really popular? It only began in December and already licensed.

Simulpub chapters or just volume releases?

Unclear. Though the tweet did include the shonen jump hashtag so I'll hope for some reason! Probably just the volumes though.

Top Bottom