• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Are you sure this is coming on Thursday on PAL shop?
We had updates on the eshop also on other weekdays (ZombiU demo IIRC).

Read some reviews now, and this seems to be the general opinion:

+ It really is an adventure game, not a platformer.
+ Good puzzles, some reviews actually seem suprised by the challenge.
+ Good writing, most seem to like the dark humour of the cave's dialogue.
+ Character specific locations seems to be where the game really shines

- Some issues platform controls
- Some framerate issues on some platforms
- Puzzles for general areas get repetitive when you replay the games

Overall length for first playthrough seem to be 3-5h.

Reception seem to be based on expecations. Much seem to focus on "this guy made Monkey Island once, this isn't the same thing.

It's a shame that the different characters doesn't seem to provide different solutions to the general puzzles as I might have hoped, but otherwise it seems to be what I had hoped it would be. :)

Omikaru

Americans: how's the performance on Wii U? If it's not great I'll just get this on PC, but I'd really like something to play on my Wii U rather than have it linger for weeks/months/years in my Steam backlog.

Bastion

Wish it was on the Vita! Any 2D game is just better on it. With that said, I am leaning towards getting the WiiU version as I need something to play on it.

cant wait to pick this up when i get home. While not having off tv play is a huge missed opportunity (i play trine 95% of the time this way) its not going to make me not pick up the game.

GulAtiCa

Really didn't take long for me to downloads it last night off the Wii U. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour. And that was with using Netflix. I look forward to trying it after work.

my download was less than 25 minutes last night

anyway I should be back to where I was stuck at I guess I can ask on the Miiverse community unless someone wants to give me a clue about what to do with this empty 3rd Mine Kart?

use spoiler tags

amaron11

Banned
my download was less than 25 minutes last night

anyway I should be back to where I was stuck at I guess I can ask on the Miiverse community unless someone wants to give me a clue about what to do with this empty 3rd Mine Kart?

use spoiler tags

IMO, I'd use Miiverse. That way someone with the same problem can get the answer.

_PsiFire_

Must be your ISP. I bought The Cave before I left for work and set my Wii U to power down once it finished the download. The time estimate for the download was 21 minutes.
My WiiU estimated 38 minutes (probably took 50). Now, I don't have the fastest speed my ISP provides but I have downloaded 1.5GB in 13 minutes before; downloading with the WiiU always seems...slower.

S1kkZ

won a code for the ps3 version. really like the game so far, but the framerate...
as soon as there is water or bigger creature on screen, the framerate drops really bad.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I couldn't say no to $11.25 on GMG, and the fact that I laughed at pretty much all of the cave's dialogue during the quick look. Sounds like a good performance.

Man, it's been so long since I played an adventure game. I forgot how much I sucked at them ;). I have no idea what the Twins first special move is supposed to do. I'm gonna just start spamming it everywhere to see if it does anything. I have a feeling I may need to backtrack because I forgot something somewhere.

IMO, I'd use Miiverse. That way someone with the same problem can get the answer.
Nintendo Direct Hype has me distracted I'll be playing again soon

Quick question: Xbox 360, WiiU or PC version?

I am towards the 360 version due to achievements. Any drawback?

Framerate issues is known for the 360, I am not a good judge of framerates the Wii U seems fine to me. I think Achievements are nice to have though so for that 360 wins

DustinC

I reviewed it for Gaming-Age here: http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/01/the-cave-review-for-xbla-psn-pc-wii-u/

Gave it an A-.

I really enjoyed it, thought the platforming element was fine, but thought that rope/ladder climbing felt a little slow, and it started to get annoying after my initial 3 character run through.

The puzzle repetition isn't a huge deal for the fixed puzzles (the non-character specific stuff) because you'll be able to blow through them quickly in your second or third run through the game. I was a little bummed by the 7 character roster essentially forcing you to re-use two characters if you want to finish the game with everyone.

Writing and humor felt really spot on though. Love the look of the game, character designs, soundtrack, etc. Lots of great puzzles throughout too, with a couple that really had me stuck for a bit.

Alur

Is this thing not live on PSN yet? I can find it on there just fine, but I can't find any option to purchase. I plan on getting it on 360 anyway, I'm just curious.

TriGen

Read some reviews now, and this seems to be the general opinion:

+ It really is an adventure game, not a platformer.
+ Good puzzles, some reviews actually seem suprised by the challenge.
+ Good writing, most seem to like the dark humour of the cave's dialogue.
+ Character specific locations seems to be where the game really shines

- Some issues platform controls
- Some framerate issues on some platforms
- Puzzles for general areas get repetitive when you replay the games

Overall length for first playthrough seem to be 3-5h.

Reception seem to be based on expecations. Much seem to focus on "this guy made Monkey Island once, this isn't the same thing.

It's a shame that the different characters doesn't seem to provide different solutions to the general puzzles as I might have hoped, but otherwise it seems to be what I had hoped it would be. :)

The positives I would agree with, Im really enjoying it. As for the negatives, I haven't seen any framerate issues on the Wii U, and I haven't had any issues with the platforming. I obviously can't speak to multiple playthroughs, but I can see the third playthrough not being super satisfying using two of the same characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why even really call this "platforming" BTW? This is inpercise and janky as can be in that way. You can press a button, and "jump off thin air" on some jumps, I wouldn't play this for the platforming at all... There's no megaman-style "WoOT! I just made a risky jump!" feeling from any of the jumps I've made, so far...

Thanks for all the feedback. Based off your post, you played the Wii U version. With Hardlocks seemingly hit or miss with a lot of Wii U owners I'm curious if you experienced Hardlocks routinely with your other games? I've only had a handful, all right after connecting my HD without a Y cable. Just wondering if I should expect more than normal, or if in your experience it was at about the same frequency you had for other games?

I guess I'll find out this evening, but it's good to read about others experiences.

Welcome! And, I don't believe I've ever had a hard lock before. So this was a first! I've played Trine 2, Mighty Switch Force, Nintendoland, Tank! Tank! Tank!, and Sonic and Sega's All star Racing.

The scoring so far seems a bit harsh since most seem to think it's an enjoyable title. Doesn't affect me, but I always wish for success for Double Fines titles. Guess it wasn't enough statements or art in it. :p

-GJ-

I bought it on GMG (first time I bought something there), but it says I will get my key in the email when the game is available. Does that mean when it's available where I live, or in the US? 'Cause it's the 23rd in 3 hours here and I can't wait to play it.

Eric C

• Steam Play: Buy once and get Windows, Mac and Linux versions. Pad support included.
  • Wii U gamepad features: Tap on character to switch, double tap to switch camera focus to that character. No off screen play.

Would've bought it for the Wii U.

But with no OFF TV PLAY, no buy.

If I'm going to be forced to play it on a large unportable screen, I'll just get it on Steam... but then I'll probably wait for a sale. They would've made more money off me if I bought the Wii U version.

At least with the Wii U games that support Off TV Play, I can primary play on my TV, but also whenever I want move to the smaller portable screen.

nbthedude

I canceled my pre-ordere after reading some reviews. I'll get to it eventually, but I'm not sure, though. But right now I got DmC coming in a couple of days and Sonic Racing Transformed.

After watching GB quick look again since I passed that part you know there are lots of events you can miss / dialog

for those that watched it try to play differently and see different things

GB score is lower than I expected

This sounds slightly disappointing considering the pedigree involved. Not sure I'll be there day one anymore, I might just wait for the inevitable steam sale.

kingocfs

After watching GB quick look again since I passed that part you know there are lots of events you can miss / dialog

for those that watched it try to play differently and see different things

GB score is lower than I expected

Indeed. Kind of bummed me out, but it just seems pretty repetitive across the board. I'll probably still check it out, though.

This sounds slightly disappointing considering the pedigree involved. Not sure I'll be there day one anymore, I might just wait for the inevitable steam sale.

Seriously, the game is dirt cheap already, if you're interested, try it.

I would understand if people hesitated for a game that costs $60, but for this price? When pretty much all reviews still says that it's an enjoyable game?

From the Edge review:

The best puzzles lie with the Time Traveller, who uses a time machine to switch back and forth between the Jurassic period, the present day and the far future. Yes, it’s like Day Of The Tentacle: drag a boulder out of position in the past, and it will remain in its new position in the future, your character’s skeleton still gripping onto it tightly.

That's all I needed to read.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
damn sounds really mediocre. gonna skip this one :(

TriGen

Seriously, the game is dirt cheap already, if you're interested, try it.

I would understand if people hesitated for a game that costs $60, but for this price? When pretty much all reviews still says that it's an enjoyable game?

It's definitely worth the price.

Violet_0

Banned
seems like the major complaint is having to repeat certain non-character specific puzzles when replaying the game with all characters

VanWinkle

Sorry for my utter lack of knowledge, but is this the Double Fine 2D adventure that was on Kickstarter? Or is that something else entirely?

Lunzio

Sorry for my utter lack of knowledge, but is this the Double Fine 2D adventure that was on Kickstarter? Or is that something else entirely?

This is a completely separate game from The Double Fine Adventure (aka codename Reds) that was funded on Kickstarter about a year ago. This is the brainchild of Ron Gilbert, who's been working on this title for roughly 2 years now, though he had this idea pestering him even before Maniac Mansion was released.

Top Bottom