• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Atom Heart Mother
I just read 4chan for the productivity tips
(07-17-2017, 08:01 PM)
Atom Heart Mother's Avatar
I'm still insanely jealous that RuneScape fans get to play the older version of their game legally and have it supported.

Come on, Blizzard.
XaeonBE
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:28 PM)
XaeonBE's Avatar

Originally Posted by RockmanBN

Any member can play classic, but it isn't supported nowadays so hitting is rampant.

Also this is real in a way now, sort of.

that actually looks kinda cool never seen that one before.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:30 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar

Originally Posted by Atom Heart Mother

I'm still insanely jealous that RuneScape fans get to play the older version of their game legally and have it supported.

Come on, Blizzard.

The two are not even close to comparable.

Blizzard would need a separate team to maintain Vanilla when they struggle with content (historically, not currently) on live. They would also need to update Vanilla with Vanilla specific content so people don't get bored like with OSRS. Not just arena seasons or what have you, actual new content. Lastly, you would have to choose whether to appease the die-hard purists or reasonable people who would want the following QoL additions like being able to loot multiple corpses at a time if they are close from Mists

Its not feasible. And I would hope that the Molten Core 40 man anniversary and ongoing Black Temple Timewalking turns people off, because those old raids suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck compared to now.
Papasmurf531
Member
(07-17-2017, 09:49 PM)
Papasmurf531's Avatar
I'm so fucking excited for this. Been playing off and on for 12 years now. OSRS is the shit! This will be dangerous for my social life.
NormalFish
Member
(07-17-2017, 09:54 PM)
NormalFish's Avatar
Nice
Damaniel
Member
(07-17-2017, 09:56 PM)
Damaniel's Avatar
I've never touched Runescape in any form. Is it worth trying out, or do you need some nostalgia for it to make the experience worthwhile?
redmetal86
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:01 PM)
redmetal86's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drillary Clinton

Can't wait to get absolutely obliterated in the wilderness

I remember my first trip to the wilderness. Another player took me out there to show me something, and then started attacking me. Ran as fast as I could and barely made it out alive. How naive I was.
Azriell
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:08 PM)
Azriell's Avatar
I have to check this out. I played RS for 5 minutes one time and deleted it (must have been OG RS I think). I played FFXI for a very long time, played WoW for a month, and now am playing FFXIV a little. I miss old-school MMO sensibilities, and even if neither of these RSs are like XI, I think I still might find see enjoyment there.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:16 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar

Originally Posted by Damaniel

I've never touched Runescape in any form. Is it worth trying out, or do you need some nostalgia for it to make the experience worthwhile?

I still think RuneScape probably has the best "quests" in games, including stuff like New Vegas and Witcher 3. RuneScape quests are almost like mini Sierra point and clicks in and of themselves, and the writing is clever and quirky.
Garrett 2U
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:16 PM)
Garrett 2U's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

The two are not even close to comparable.

Blizzard would need a separate team to maintain Vanilla when they struggle with content (historically, not currently) on live. They would also need to update Vanilla with Vanilla specific content so people don't get bored like with OSRS. Not just arena seasons or what have you, actual new content. Lastly, you would have to choose whether to appease the die-hard purists or reasonable people who would want the following QoL additions like being able to loot multiple corpses at a time if they are close from Mists

Its not feasible. And I would hope that the Molten Core 40 man anniversary and ongoing Black Temple Timewalking turns people off, because those old raids suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck compared to now.

OldSchool RuneScape has a separate, dedicated development team of at least 18 members currently; and they are hiring a couple more.

They also have been releasing new updates every week for years now.
Lots of new content, skills, features, bug fixes, and polishing.
http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?380,381

Plus the community votes on every new feature and it must be agreeable to at least 75% of the community, or it isn't added to the game.
And every week the developers have a live stream where they discuss upcoming content, existing content, and balancing changes with the community.
His Majesty
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:18 PM)
His Majesty's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

The two are not even close to comparable.

Blizzard would need a separate team to maintain Vanilla when they struggle with content (historically, not currently) on live. They would also need to update Vanilla with Vanilla specific content so people don't get bored like with OSRS. Not just arena seasons or what have you, actual new content. Lastly, you would have to choose whether to appease the die-hard purists or reasonable people who would want the following QoL additions like being able to loot multiple corpses at a time if they are close from Mists

Its not feasible. And I would hope that the Molten Core 40 man anniversary and ongoing Black Temple Timewalking turns people off, because those old raids suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck compared to now.

Jagex does exactly the same though. There is a separate team working on OSRS. The updates are smaller in scale but still frequent enough. And all potential changes first have to be ratified by the community through public polls. It's a very transparent process and the community is heavily involved. I can't see why this wouldn't work for WoW.

The only downside I see is that it will divide the community. OSRS peaks at 60k and Runescape at 40k players daily.

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

I still think RuneScape probably has the best "quests" in games, including stuff like New Vegas and Witcher 3. RuneScape quests are almost like mini Sierra point and clicks in and of themselves, and the writing is clever and quirky.

Quests and storytelling in Runescape are really good, yes. It was the main reason why I stayed around for so long, to see some conclusions to all the different quest series.
Last edited by His Majesty; 07-17-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Papasmurf531
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:19 PM)
Papasmurf531's Avatar

Originally Posted by Damaniel

I've never touched Runescape in any form. Is it worth trying out, or do you need some nostalgia for it to make the experience worthwhile?

You could probably have some fun with it! I recommend old school runescape. Much easier to understand and get into, also no microtransactions.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:20 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett 2U

OldSchool RuneScape has a separate, dedicated development team of at least 18 members currently; and they are hiring a couple more.

They also have been releasing new updates every week for years now.
Lots of new content, skills, features, bug fixes, and polishing.
http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?380,381

Plus the community votes on every new feature and it must be agreeable to at least 75% of the community, or it isn't added to the game.
And every week the developers have a live stream where they discuss upcoming content, existing content, and balancing changes with the community.

Originally Posted by His Majesty

Jagex does exactly the same though. There is a separate team working on OSRS. The updates are smaller in scale but still frequent enough. And all potential changes first have to be ratified by the community through public polls. It's a very transparent process and the community is heavily involved. I can't see why this wouldn't work for WoW.

The only downside I see is that it will divide the community. OSRS peaks at 60k and Runescape at 40k players daily.

I mean thats the point I'm making. You are talking about 100k people, WoW has at least 50x that. You could never justify the cost it would take to maintain Vanilla AND the Live servers.
TERRORIFFIC
Junior Member
(07-17-2017, 10:26 PM)
TERRORIFFIC's Avatar
I miss Runescape classic. Fuck this other shit
His Majesty
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:30 PM)
His Majesty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Damaniel

I've never touched Runescape in any form. Is it worth trying out, or do you need some nostalgia for it to make the experience worthwhile?

Some nostalgia definitely helps but it makes for a great sandbox experience with some great storytelling and worldbuilding.

Keep in mind that Runescape is a very grindy game at heart. You'll be spending hundreds of hours on leveling just one skill to maximum level. This is not a traditional MMO where you move from quest hub to quest hub. There are quests but they are not your primary gain of XP.

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

I mean thats the point I'm making. You are talking about 100k people, WoW has at least 50x that. You could never justify the cost it would take to maintain Vanilla AND the Live servers.

That's a valid point. Has Blizzard ever addressed why they are not interested in Vanilla WoW servers?
PepperedHam
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:33 PM)
PepperedHam's Avatar
Genuinely excited about having OSRS on the phone, hopefully they nail the interface aspect. Control wise it should be fine seeing as it's a click based game anyway.
Wimps
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:37 PM)
Wimps's Avatar
Wow.

Pretty big steps they're taking. Glad to hear Runescape is still relevant enough to take these kinds of steps.

Had a lot of fun with it back in the day. Taking noobs to the wilderness and killing them.

Go Jagex.
Tambini
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:41 PM)
Tambini's Avatar
I tried so many times to play Runescape on the PSP browser in like 2005
Murugo
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:49 PM)
Murugo's Avatar
There goes my productivity. Really hoping OSRS's MIDI soundtrack is kept for mobile.
Garrett 2U
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:52 PM)
Garrett 2U's Avatar

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

I mean thats the point I'm making. You are talking about 100k people, WoW has at least 50x that. You could never justify the cost it would take to maintain Vanilla AND the Live servers.

Well you didn't mention player size in your post, only development team size and update frequency.

But yes, it would be a much larger scale compared to RS.
Final Verdict
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:03 PM)
Final Verdict's Avatar
Cool.

Time to get back on OSRS and start mining some more
13ruce
Banned
(07-17-2017, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Murugo

There goes my productivity. Really hoping OSRS's MIDI soundtrack is kept for mobile.

Dat Lumbridge theme and autum voyage.... It brings memories back. Soundtrack was pretty good imo.
SeppOCE
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:15 AM)
SeppOCE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Finale Fireworker

I don't understand how all the different versions of RuneScape work or how they interact with each other. Can anyone explain that to me? I played from 2006 to 2009. Back then, there was RuneScape and RuneScape Classic. Classic was something only ultra-hardcore nostalgia fans played and everybody else just played RuneScape.

Now it seems like there is RuneScape Classic, RuneScape 2007, and RuneScape proper? Are they all treated as separate games?

I tried to recover my account last month and they ask for way more information than any lapsed highschool player like myself would have. :( It was a bummer. I always kind of thought I would go back someday but it hurts to think all that stuff is gone forever. I grew up in there.

Idk if rs classic exists but your stats from 2006-2009 will be on rs proper and if you want osrs you have to start over but its worth it.
dadjumper
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:29 AM)
dadjumper's Avatar
Finally, a way to learn to type fast on a touch screen
MagnoSauce
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Tambini

I tried so many times to play Runescape on the PSP browser in like 2005

You just uncovered memories for me that I'm not sure I wanted to come back.
GuitarGuruu
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:40 AM)
GuitarGuruu's Avatar
Hah, literally just started replaying again after years a few days ago. Good timing.
BaasRed
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:43 AM)
BaasRed's Avatar
Gonna try this. Playing with friends anf chatting is nice.
Noobcraft
Member
(07-18-2017, 03:17 AM)
Neat. Maybe I can sign in to my old account and sell off my santa hat for like 500M or whatever they're worth now.
Nowise10
Member
(07-18-2017, 03:25 AM)
Nowise10's Avatar
Yup, sounds amazing.

Also just want to add that some of the most devastating moments of my childhood occurred on Runescape when I fell for scams and one time got hacked. But I like to think it grew me as a person and TO NOT TRUST ANYONE EVER.

Originally Posted by Noobcraft

Neat. Maybe I can sign in to my old account and sell off my santa hat for like 500M or whatever they're worth now.

Pretty sure Santa hats/party hats/holiday items are pretty common in oldschool runescape now. Still worth a a decent chunk but not in the millions. Last summer I started a fresh account for nostalgia reasons and had two party hats by the end of the evening.
RockmanBN
Member
(07-18-2017, 03:26 AM)
RockmanBN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Noobcraft

Neat. Maybe I can sign in to my old account and sell off my santa hat for like 500M or whatever they're worth now.

RWT is against the rules.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(07-18-2017, 04:50 AM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar
They flooded the market with Party Hats to devalue them and they are essentially worthless. I was pretty upset when I learned that because I had a Party Hat and could have sold it
Flandy
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:00 AM)
Flandy's Avatar

Originally Posted by MagnoSauce

You just uncovered memories for me that I'm not sure I wanted to come back.

This is my favorite post in this thread

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

They flooded the market with Party Hats to devalue them and they are essentially worthless. I was pretty upset when I learned that because I had a Party Hat and could have sold it

They did what?
Poison-
Junior Member
(07-18-2017, 05:06 AM)
Poison-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

They flooded the market with Party Hats to devalue them and they are essentially worthless. I was pretty upset when I learned that because I had a Party Hat and could have sold it

That's in OSRS. Party Hats are still extremely expensive in RS3.
RockmanBN
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:10 AM)
RockmanBN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poison-

That's in OSRS. Party Hats are still extremely expensive in RS3.

Blue Party Hat is 15-16B on RS3 which is like $3100 in gold seller value.

They ditched it in OSRS because they didn't want that situation again.
Stimpack
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:15 AM)
Stimpack's Avatar

Originally Posted by chrisPjelly

I can't fucking believe a game I played in elmentary 10 years ago is STILL having another resurgence

I feel old reading this post.
Meaty
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:53 AM)
Meaty's Avatar
Extremaly happy about this. Runescape is grindy by nature. If im able to set my char to chop ivy, check my messages, and go back to game seamlessly this would be amazing.
El Odio
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:42 AM)
El Odio's Avatar
As someone who hasn't touched RS like 8 years or so what's the difference between OSRS and it's current form? Or I guess rather where the cut for OS is. I stopled playing sometime after they updated the graphics and added that trading marketplace.
SchrodingerC
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:56 AM)
SchrodingerC's Avatar
Hmm, I'd actually download and try it out.
Can't believe it's been about 10 years since I've last played.
Chris1
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:13 PM)

Originally Posted by El Odio

As someone who hasn't touched RS like 8 years or so what's the difference between OSRS and it's current form? Or I guess rather where the cut for OS is. I stopled playing sometime after they updated the graphics and added that trading marketplace.

August 2007, just before the GE.

But there is content added voted on by players.. GE is one of those things.
Animagne
Junior Member
(07-18-2017, 12:19 PM)
Always wanted this on mobile. Can't really be bothered to do grinding on this anymore, although wouldn't mind as much on the go. At least so I would have levels to finish all the quests.
Cindres
Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
(07-18-2017, 12:22 PM)
Cindres's Avatar
I mean I'm intrigued but no idea how this is going to play or control on mobile...
Barrel Cannon
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:35 PM)
Barrel Cannon's Avatar
Childhood me wouldn't be able to fathom this
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(07-18-2017, 12:36 PM)
Orin GA's Avatar
@doubling gold@
BumperLips
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:43 PM)
BumperLips's Avatar
I'm interested in how accurate/responsive it'll be. Some activities in game require intensive and accurate clicks. Also stuff like prayer flicking and weapon switch spec.

I mean it probably shouldn't be the norm to expect to do Inferno on it. Maybe regular Jad should be something they should reach for as being doable.
RockmanBN
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:52 PM)
RockmanBN's Avatar

Originally Posted by BumperLips

I'm interested in how accurate/responsive it'll be. Some activities in game require intensive and accurate clicks. Also stuff like prayer flicking and weapon switch spec.

I mean it probably shouldn't be the norm to expect to do Inferno on it. Maybe regular Jad should be something they should reach for as being doable.

Now I want to see Woox do the Inferno on this.
BumperLips
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:10 PM)
BumperLips's Avatar

Originally Posted by RockmanBN

Now I want to see Woox do the Inferno on this.

I wouldn't be surprised. Also him soloing the raid would be a treat. He's already gotten two twisted bows and has done it like almost 100 times?
Chris1
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:29 PM)

Originally Posted by MetroidPrimeRib

I still think RuneScape probably has the best "quests" in games, including stuff like New Vegas and Witcher 3. RuneScape quests are almost like mini Sierra point and clicks in and of themselves, and the writing is clever and quirky.

Yep easily. The quests in RS are phenomenal. Without a doubt the best quests in video games. If there's one thing that makes RS stand out among other games it's definitely the quests.

Originally Posted by Garrett 2U

OldSchool RuneScape has a separate, dedicated development team of at least 18 members currently; and they are hiring a couple more.

They also have been releasing new updates every week for years now.
Lots of new content, skills, features, bug fixes, and polishing.
http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?380,381

Plus the community votes on every new feature and it must be agreeable to at least 75% of the community, or it isn't added to the game.
And every week the developers have a live stream where they discuss upcoming content, existing content, and balancing changes with the community.

It's a miracle how RS works tbh, not only to bring back an older version of the game and still have it running years later, but to have more people playing then playing the main game despite having to start over entirely and be forced to scrap years of progress. Definitely one of the few massive success stories in video games.

Not to mention the whole poll system, the fact it's 75% and ridiculously high, yet it works incredibly well.. even among arguably one of the most toxic communities in gaming

Honestly OSRS doesn't get enough credit for what it's done, to think noone expected it to live past a few months, Jagex included and where it's at today it's nothing short of amazing. A lot of that credit has to go to Mod Ash though he's basically been running OSRS since the beginning and is a big part of the reason of it's success, I hope he got a big fat payrise for it because he deserves it
RR30
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:59 PM)
RR30's Avatar
I'm excited to be even less productive at work because of OSRS mobile.
MetroidPrimeRib
Member
(07-18-2017, 04:34 PM)
MetroidPrimeRib's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1


Honestly OSRS doesn't get enough credit for what it's done, to think noone expected it to live past a few months, Jagex included and where it's at today it's nothing short of amazing. A lot of that credit has to go to Mod Ash though he's basically been running OSRS since the beginning and is a big part of the reason of it's success, I hope he got a big fat payrise for it because he deserves it

Nobody expected it to live longer then a few months because it would be stagnant forever until they started doing community stuff and OSRS only updates, which is brilliant in hindsight but still CRAZY and unprecedented
Garrett 2U
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:44 PM)
Garrett 2U's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1

It's a miracle how RS works tbh, not only to bring back an older version of the game and still have it running years later, but to have more people playing then playing the main game despite having to start over entirely and be forced to scrap years of progress. Definitely one of the few massive success stories in video games.

Not to mention the whole poll system, the fact it's 75% and ridiculously high, yet it works incredibly well.. even among arguably one of the most toxic communities in gaming

Honestly OSRS doesn't get enough credit for what it's done, to think noone expected it to live past a few months, Jagex included and where it's at today it's nothing short of amazing. A lot of that credit has to go to Mod Ash though he's basically been running OSRS since the beginning and is a big part of the reason of it's success, I hope he got a big fat payrise for it because he deserves it

Yeah it truly was an incredible success story. It was pretty much Mod Ash's pet project from the sounds of it, he did almost all of the ground work to get it up and running as a proof of concept.

I was actually the lead developer on 2006Scape, the large private server that brought the resurgence hype for OSRS. Jagex shut us down a couple weeks before announcing the prospect of releasing OSRS. They asked us for our resumes when they shut the project down; in hindsight I wish I went through with it, but I was only about 19-20 at the time.

Thread Tools