• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

SoulUnison
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:08 AM)
SoulUnison's Avatar
People HATE Symmetra.

I get more toxic interactions as Sym than any other character, but I love her.
She's like playing an RTS character. Damage and kills become a factor of time and proximity rather than accuracy, letting her flank, surprise, and make excellent use of her projected shield to chase down backpedaling players with impunity.

Add the sentry turrets and the Teleporter/Shield Matrix and you have a real winner.
Skyball Paint
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:30 AM)
Skyball Paint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Currygan

Never seen much Mercy hate compared to Junkrat, Hanzo or Orisa, who get almost constantly shat on from every member, enemy or teammate

People are like "Remember to thank your healers!" And I'm like no, thank your Hanzo after he gets 3 kills in the first team win and allows you to capture first point in the first minute, after putting up with your shit during Hero Select.
old
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:41 AM)
old's Avatar
I love mercy mains. It means I can stick to my beloved DPS and let someone else play support.
Blues1990
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:47 AM)
Blues1990's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skyball Paint

People are like "Remember to thank your healers!" And I'm like no, thank your Hanzo after he gets 3 kills in the first team win and allows you to capture first point in the first minute, after putting up with your shit during Hero Select.

It's a similar deal for me. I will vote for the player that did a great job, regardless of which team they are on.
Liseda
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:52 AM)
Liseda's Avatar

Originally Posted by 17 Seconds

what a sad reason to hate someone, and you even bolded it for me

Sorry, I'm not going to enjoy playing with people that don't actively try to win games and limiting yourself to just one character is not how you do it.

The game has a ranked mode for a reason, if you can't play more than one character you should stick to quick play until you can.
DizzyCaffeine
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:24 AM)
DizzyCaffeine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Liseda

Sorry, I'm not going to enjoy playing with people that don't actively try to win games and limiting yourself to just one character is not how you do it.

The game has a ranked mode for a reason, if you can't play more than one character you should stick to quick play until you can.

No, thanks. I will continue to play whatever mode I want with just Mercy.
AlexFlame116
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:33 AM)
AlexFlame116's Avatar

Originally Posted by Liseda

Indeed, I don't get this mentality.

What's the point of playing a game if you just keep to the exact same hero every single game?

How are you supposed to be any good at the game if you just stick to one hero?

So yes, I do hate people who "main" heroes.

They are pretty much just one-trick ponies, they become 100% fucking useless in your game most of the time.

My gosh...
crabhammer
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:15 AM)
crabhammer's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

No, thanks. I will continue to play whatever mode I want with just Mercy.

While this is more or less fine since Mercy is a pretty good character for ladder, this mentality is pretty toxic to the health of competitive Overwatch. I respect your right to do what you want with your time, but you should understand that it is frustrating for other people to have their time wasted. Some characters in this game do have hard counters and when they are countered effectively then they are dead weight that the rest of the team has to try and make up for.
Ramirez
Member
(07-18-2017, 05:18 AM)
Ramirez's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

No, thanks. I will continue to play whatever mode I want with just Mercy.

You're free to do as you please, but this attitude to me is just as toxic as people who throw on purpose. Sometimes, another character is needed, a complete unwillingness to switch is a shit attitude to bring into competitive.
BNGames
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:05 AM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by DR2K

I'd love her to be retooled to use Rez less and her pistol more. Since the game really doesn't let you play attack Mercy

Pistol is used alot if you try

MY Examples:

A. https://youtu.be/Gu1DQd0DKHQ

B. https://youtu.be/eH1Nyg8b1YQ

C. https://youtu.be/OYH_J9DiyeE

D. https://youtu.be/2ERC41-xdq4

Yes I do alot of tea bagging, im sure your all going to ding me for it. Alot of these are people who were talking shit and got shut down by the so-called lowskill character.

People who say Mercy takes no skill or is a low skill character are clueless or trolls. Yea go and get yourself fucked again Genji on your own, nice low hit percentage Hanzo your really making an effort, etc etc I can flame every character six ways from sunday too but i don't.


If your one of those people who thinks its all Left click and Q as a Mercy Main, your the problem with Overwatch as a community.
Last edited by BNGames; 07-18-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Atom Heart Mother
I just read 4chan for the productivity tips
(07-18-2017, 06:09 AM)
Atom Heart Mother's Avatar

Originally Posted by Liseda

Indeed, I don't get this mentality.

What's the point of playing a game if you just keep to the exact same hero every single game?

How are you supposed to be any good at the game if you just stick to one hero?

So yes, I do hate people who "main" heroes.

They are pretty much just one-trick ponies, they become 100% fucking useless in your game most of the time.

I understand this post. I don't think maining heroes in a game where switching heroes is core to the gameplay. But in a casual setting, I stick to reaper lol. People get too cocky and upset if you tell them to switch from their main because the situation doesn't call for them. Overwatch is all about switching heroes.
DizzyCaffeine
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:11 AM)
DizzyCaffeine's Avatar

Originally Posted by crabhammer

While this is more or less fine since Mercy is a pretty good character for ladder, this mentality is pretty toxic to the health of competitive Overwatch. I respect your right to do what you want with your time, but you should understand that it is frustrating for other people to have their time wasted. Some characters in this game do have hard counters and when they are countered effectively then they are dead weight that the rest of the team has to try and make up for.

Originally Posted by Ramirez

You're free to do as you please, but this attitude to me is just as toxic as people who throw on purpose. Sometimes, another character is needed, a complete unwillingness to switch is a shit attitude to bring into competitive.

No, it is not "toxic" to play a support character, spend every second of every match either healing or rezzing, and literally never saying anything bad to anyone else.

You both cheapen the word "toxic" when you say that.

And frankly, you don't get to control the best character for everyone to play, just like I can't control when you play like shit.
Last edited by DizzyCaffeine; 07-18-2017 at 06:15 AM.
jviggy43
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:13 AM)
jviggy43's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

Pistol is used alot if you try

MY Examples:

A. https://youtu.be/Gu1DQd0DKHQ

B. https://youtu.be/eH1Nyg8b1YQ

C. https://youtu.be/OYH_J9DiyeE

D. https://youtu.be/2ERC41-xdq4

Yes I do alot of tea bagging, im sure your all going to ding me for it. Alot of these are people who were talking shit and got shut down by the so-called lowskill character.

People who say Mercy takes no skill or is a low skill character are clueless or trolls. Yea go and get yourself fucked again Genji on your own, nice low hit percentage Hanzo your really making an effort, etc etc I can flame every character six ways from sunday too but i don't.


If your one of those people who thinks its all Left click and Q as a Mercy Main, your the problem with Overwatch as a community.

If youre using battle Mercy you aren't doing your job 99% of the time. And yes, she is a low skill hero, and theres nothing wrong with that. She just also happens to be a low skill hero who is incredibly efficient at support and ostensibly can be used to get around SR losses/gains.
Last edited by jviggy43; 07-18-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Armaros
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:38 AM)
Armaros's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

No, it is not "toxic" to play a support character, spend every second of every match either healing or rezzing, and literally never saying anything bad to anyone else.

You both cheapen the word "toxic" when you say that.

And frankly, you don't get to control the best character for everyone to play, just like I can't control when you play like shit.

So what do you do when someone else picks mercy first?
RockmanBN
Member
(07-18-2017, 06:42 AM)
RockmanBN's Avatar
Is it toxic to play random characters even when they are not optimal for the type of game you're on? Got a bunch of hate messages for playing Sombra, Orisa, or Torbjorn. I just like playing random characters for fun with my friends.
Ramirez
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:06 AM)
Ramirez's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

No, it is not "toxic" to play a support character, spend every second of every match either healing or rezzing, and literally never saying anything bad to anyone else.

You both cheapen the word "toxic" when you say that.

And frankly, you don't get to control the best character for everyone to play, just like I can't control when you play like shit.

If Mercy was a bad character, and yet that's still the only character you would play, yes that's a shitty ass attitude that hampers others enjoyment.

That's why Mercy is hated right now, because there's a ton of one tricks in comp ruining the fun of everyone else because they cannot play any character but Mercy at the rank they're at. We can blame that partially on Blizzard's shit ranking system, but the fault belongs some what to players not learning more than one character in a game that demands you to adapt on the fly in a match.

Originally Posted by RockmanBN

Is it toxic to play random characters even when they are not optimal for the type of game you're on? Got a bunch of hate messages for playing Sombra, Orisa, or Torbjorn. I just like playing random characters for fun with my friends.

Is it toxic in the sense you're hurling insults? No. But if a hero isn't working and you refuse to switch, then yea, you're contributing to a miserable experience for the other 5 people. If it's QP, then go for it, but people who have the attitude of "fuck you, I'm doing me" in comp are just as bad as any thrower in my opinion.
Last edited by Ramirez; 07-18-2017 at 07:16 AM.
StrongBlackVine
Banned
(07-18-2017, 07:20 AM)
I suck at competitive FPS and don't really like them so when I do play Overwatch occasionally I main Mercy and I have not had any hate directed at me. But I never received any hate online at all so maybe I'm just lucky...
Fixed2BeBroken
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:29 AM)
Fixed2BeBroken's Avatar

Originally Posted by jviggy43

If youre using battle Mercy you aren't doing your job 99% of the time. And yes, she is a low skill hero, and theres nothing wrong with that. She just also happens to be a low skill hero who is incredibly efficient at support and ostensibly can be used to get around SR losses/gains.

Good mercy players know when to swap to battle mercy and swap back to heals.

her gun is actually really strong.
RockmanBN
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:31 AM)
RockmanBN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ramirez

Is it toxic in the sense you're hurling insults? No. But if a hero isn't working and you refuse to switch, then yea, you're contributing to a miserable experience for the other 5 people. If it's QP, then go for it, but people who have the attitude of "fuck you, I'm doing me" in comp are just as bad as any thrower in my opinion.

Never do comp. It's always been quick play and 3v3 Arcade (I assume people want the weekly lootbox). Don't see the problem when it's not a competitive mode and I just want to blow some time with friends doing quirky things in games.
I.R.I.S.
Junior Member
(07-18-2017, 07:52 AM)
If someone hates Mercy it's because:

a) People don't like enemy healers
b) People don't like healers on their team if they don't heal them
c) If the healer heals people on their team, nobody notices because they're doing such a good job
jviggy43
Member
(07-18-2017, 07:57 AM)
jviggy43's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fixed2BeBroken

Good mercy players know when to swap to battle mercy and swap back to heals.

her gun is actually really strong.

Again that's about 1 percent of the time. It doesn't matter that her gun can do a surprising amount of damage when your role on the team is to heal. And if no one needs healing, damage buff your dps rather than shoot because 1. That's their job 2. They're much better suited for and most importantly 3. Damage boost charges both you and the person you're charging ults much faster: all of which is significantly more important to your team than getting in a few shots that looks cool.

Good mercy players nearly never use pistol.
Last edited by jviggy43; 07-18-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Ramirez
Member
(07-18-2017, 08:18 AM)
Ramirez's Avatar

Originally Posted by RockmanBN

Never do comp. It's always been quick play and 3v3 Arcade (I assume people want the weekly lootbox). Don't see the problem when it's not a competitive mode and I just want to blow some time with friends doing quirky things in games.

Yea, I mean I have zero problem with people doing whatever they want outside of comp. But if you're in comp, you should be selecting the best pick for the team, and at least have 2-3 heroes you're comfortable with.
AkimbO_Arcana
Member
(07-18-2017, 08:25 AM)
AkimbO_Arcana's Avatar
I never ran into Mercy hate when playing the game. She's is my second most played character after Lucio.
I like her design and her role in game. Everyone seems happy when someone pics her, to the point where I have to defend myself when picking another healer like Lucio or Ana, which is a bit annoying.
They are pretty good at healing too, if the player knows what he/she's doing.
crabhammer
Member
(07-18-2017, 04:50 PM)
crabhammer's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

No, it is not "toxic" to play a support character, spend every second of every match either healing or rezzing, and literally never saying anything bad to anyone else.

You both cheapen the word "toxic" when you say that.

And frankly, you don't get to control the best character for everyone to play, just like I can't control when you play like shit.

It is absolutely toxic to refuse to work with your team when something you're doing isnt working out. Like I said, though, Mercy skirts this issue by being a pretty solid character on the ladder, and doesn't really have a hard counter. There was a time, though, where Mercy was not great in comp 100% of the time and if you refused to swap to Ana or Lucio in bad situations then you were making it harder on your team than it needed to be.

Again, There are characters in this game with hard counters and when you're getting hard countered you should swap, or talk about a swap with your team.

I want to stress here that this isn't a case of me blaming my teams for losses. I know that's an ego problem in comp, and it's toxic as fuck as well. I just don't think people put enough thought into character swapping in a game where it is often necessary.

Originally Posted by jviggy43

If youre using battle Mercy you aren't doing your job 99% of the time. And yes, she is a low skill hero, and theres nothing wrong with that. She just also happens to be a low skill hero who is incredibly efficient at support and ostensibly can be used to get around SR losses/gains.

I'd call Mercy a low TECHNICAL skill hero. Continuing to call her a low skill hero isn't doing anyone any favors here. The skills that a person who is going to main mercy need to develop are more game sense related than aim related. You need to use your far backline position to your advantage and make calls, sometimes for people.

Example:

"Hey can someone help our soldier, he's got a genji jumping all around him"

"Hey I see a reaper approaching from the left, he's probably gonna try to flank around the building, let's pull back and take care of that"

"hey, I have res, so their mercy probably also has res. We need to take her out first"

"It's been a while since we've heard graviton surge or missile barrage, let's be on the lookout for that, dva try to keep your defense matrix in Zarya's face"

Stuff like that. And if youre a mercy main who isn't doing this or isn't willing to do this then you aren't playing the character to it's full potential and you should work on that.

Originally Posted by RockmanBN

Is it toxic to play random characters even when they are not optimal for the type of game you're on? Got a bunch of hate messages for playing Sombra, Orisa, or Torbjorn. I just like playing random characters for fun with my friends.

Only if you're in comp and it's not working out. People catch flack at the beginning of games for locking in on Sombra or Torbjorn and that's fucking ridiculous. I'll always give people a chance on their shit before even suggesting we rethink our team comp (unless we start out with no tanks or healers or something).

Obviously no one should care what you do in any of the other game modes.
Last edited by crabhammer; 07-18-2017 at 09:42 PM.
BNGames
Member
(07-18-2017, 04:53 PM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by jviggy43

If youre using battle Mercy you aren't doing your job 99% of the time. And yes, she is a low skill hero, and theres nothing wrong with that. She just also happens to be a low skill hero who is incredibly efficient at support and ostensibly can be used to get around SR losses/gains.

"Aren't doing your job"? Shows how ignorant you are to the character and how she is played at a high level.
Last edited by BNGames; 07-18-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Nickle
Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
(07-18-2017, 10:45 PM)
Nickle's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

"Aren't doing your job"? Shows how ignorant you are to the character and how she is played at a high level.

Her healing staff is better then her pistol 98% of the time, she should only use pistol if her teammates are dead or far away from her. You're better off damage boosting a teammate if you want to do damage, and switching from pistol to staff takes away a lot of time that you could use to heal your teammates. Combat Mercy might work in gold rank, but it's not something you should be attempting if you want to be playing Mercy optimally.
ricelord
Member
(07-18-2017, 11:00 PM)
ricelord's Avatar

Originally Posted by benzopil

Well I never play ranked on Saturday and Sunday because it's always a shitshow.

I do the same thing lol.
BNGames
Member
(07-20-2017, 08:45 PM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nickle

Her healing staff is better then her pistol 98% of the time, she should only use pistol if her teammates are dead or far away from her. You're better off damage boosting a teammate if you want to do damage, and switching from pistol to staff takes away a lot of time that you could use to heal your teammates. Combat Mercy might work in gold rank, but it's not something you should be attempting if you want to be playing Mercy optimally.

Battle Mercy works just fine in Plat, I should know. Only a few points shy of Diamond last season, not bad for someone who solo's and doesn't get to play that often because of his Career. Just the little bit ive played this season im averaging over 11k healing per match

I had alot more time last season and did really well even being combative

Proof: https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/...-1124/season/4

As far as Staff, im well aware healing is what she's all about but if your clearly in an advantageous position, like being behind Rein's shield you SHOULD be using your pistol if everyone is stable. Her Pistol does a TON of damage, and due to its low velocity I find scatter shotting helps get alot of kills on enemies already low on damage from a distance.

Also, most of the time people don't protect Mercy. Ive had too many matches to count where im the target and NO ONE is trying to prevent it from happening so I have to take matters into my own hands. This video I did shows plenty of those situations.

There seems to be this assumption amongst Overwatch players that Mercy should be in the back, far far away and that its all about left clicking and thats it. That is completely false, and I prove that time and time again.
Berserking Guts
Member
(07-20-2017, 08:56 PM)
Berserking Guts's Avatar
Landing those combat mercy headshots on squishies is the most satisfying feeling in the game. It's got a pretty low shot per sec, but when they connect they hurt.
Akuun
Looking for meaning in GAF
(07-20-2017, 09:23 PM)
Akuun's Avatar
I do like playing Mercy in competitive and I don't think I've gotten too much hate for it. I've gotten some backseating and condescension, but usually those are from the sort of people who constantly blame others.

I can switch to Soldier if someone else wants Mercy, and that's fine by me. It's just that people tend to instalock Soldier a lot more readily than Mercy.

Mercy's gun is actually quite good at times. There are plenty of situations where snapping off a few shots yourself is actually better than damage boosting or healing, especially in a pub game where you don't know or trust your teammates. Someone calls out a low-health target who's running away? I've pulled out the gun and helped pick the guy off before. Ulting Pharah? You're not outhealing that and you can't trust other people to fire at her, so pull out the gun to kill her more quickly before you res. Ulting Mei? Top off frozen targets if that will save them from follow-up icicles, kill Mei while she's distracted, then res. Everyone's topped off and there are no viable damage boost targets you trust? You could help lay down some cover fire.

I'm not saying you should go battle Mercy and go 1v1 people while ignoring your healing duties, but there are times when pulling out the gun can be very effective. Hell, the job lends itself well to hot swapping, because of the gun's free reload when you're in staff mode.

A lot of people also simply don't see the enemy Mercy as a threat at all, which leads to them exposing themselves to her positionally. That lets you get in quite a bit of damage on them unexpectedly if you decide to do so.
Last edited by Akuun; 07-20-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Nickle
Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
(07-20-2017, 09:28 PM)
Nickle's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

Battle Mercy works just fine in Plat, I should know. Only a few points shy of Diamond last season, not bad for someone who solo's and doesn't get to play that often because of his Career. Just the little bit ive played this season im averaging over 11k healing per match

I had alot more time last season and did really well even being combative

Proof: https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/...-1124/season/4

As far as Staff, im well aware healing is what she's all about but if your clearly in an advantageous position, like being behind Rein's shield you SHOULD be using your pistol if everyone is stable. Her Pistol does a TON of damage, and due to its low velocity I find scatter shotting helps get alot of kills on enemies already low on damage from a distance.

Also, most of the time people don't protect Mercy. Ive had too many matches to count where im the target and NO ONE is trying to prevent it from happening so I have to take matters into my own hands. This video I did shows plenty of those situations.

There seems to be this assumption amongst Overwatch players that Mercy should be in the back, far far away and that its all about left clicking and thats it. That is completely false, and I prove that time and time again.

In most cases, you can do more damage as Mercy with your pistol then with the damage boost (providing you actually hit most of your shots, which is difficult). But even if you do hit most of your shots, during that time you aren't healing your teammates, and you are in clear view of the enemy. You don't want to be out in the open, surviving is your number 1 priority because of how important rez is.

You are better off damage boosting your dps, it helps them build ult faster, and you can switch back to healing instantly. Mercy doesn't need the pistol shots to build her rez, she builds it incredibly quickly just by healing.

You can do whatever you want with Mercy, I'm just saying that aggro isn't the optimal playstyle for her.
Albino_Yeti
Member
(07-20-2017, 09:35 PM)
Albino_Yeti's Avatar
I haven't met people who hate Mercy, but even if they do, is this article really trying to blame it on misogyny?

Ana, Tracer, and Pharah are some of the most used and most beloved characters in the game. D-Va is pretty popular too. I don't buy the misogyny argument at all.
Hasney
Member
(07-29-2017, 04:34 AM)
Hasney's Avatar
Since this topic, I've decided to main Mercy in ranked... HOLY SHIT.

I still don't think it's due to the character other than being a medix, but I get all the blame. Last match I had I was getting blamed during the second round because I was targeted by Hanso, mostly ults. But I didn'tpop my ult until we needed it. We won 60 seoconds later.

It's insane.
Last edited by Hasney; 08-01-2017 at 10:44 PM.
BNGames
Member
(07-31-2017, 04:32 AM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nickle

In most cases, you can do more damage as Mercy with your pistol then with the damage boost (providing you actually hit most of your shots, which is difficult). But even if you do hit most of your shots, during that time you aren't healing your teammates, and you are in clear view of the enemy. You don't want to be out in the open, surviving is your number 1 priority because of how important rez is.

You are better off damage boosting your dps, it helps them build ult faster, and you can switch back to healing instantly. Mercy doesn't need the pistol shots to build her rez, she builds it incredibly quickly just by healing.

You can do whatever you want with Mercy, I'm just saying that aggro isn't the optimal playstyle for her.



Aggro can work just fine

New proof: https://youtu.be/SV6tQLZIytw

BNGames
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:00 PM)
BNGames's Avatar
Here is a clear cut example of how Mercy SHOULD be played at a high level

Link: https://youtu.be/mZcHMb7f7Ks

Woetyler
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:04 PM)
Woetyler's Avatar
I hate her because I play a good mercy. In comp, you can never, EVER rely on your team unless it's premade, and when your 5 other teammates rush to dps, you're the one stuck playing mercy, who gets boring and trivial to play after maybe 10 hours of playtime with her.

Edit: Oh yeah and whenever your 5 dps die all at once, you're the one who has a bunch of 16 year olds yelling at you.
BNGames
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:12 PM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by Woetyler

I hate her because I play a good mercy. In comp, you can never, EVER rely on your team unless it's premade, and when your 5 other teammates rush to dps, you're the one stuck playing mercy, who gets boring and trivial to play after maybe 10 hours of playtime with her.

Edit: Oh yeah and whenever your 5 dps die all at once, you're the one who has a bunch of 16 year olds yelling at you.

I think my video two posts above shows she can DPS pretty well inbetween healing. Ive never found her boring.
Woetyler
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:16 PM)
Woetyler's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

I think my video two posts above shows she can DPS pretty well inbetween healing. Ive never found her boring.

She can dps, but then you get flagged as a battle mercy and that's a whole new problem. The reason people hate her is because she's the best solo healer in the game, which also becomes an easy target for harassment if your team starts to fall.
BNGames
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:19 PM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by Woetyler

She can dps, but then you get flagged as a battle mercy and that's a whole new problem. The reason people hate her is because she's the best solo healer in the game, which also becomes an easy target for harassment if your team starts to fall.

Oh believe me I know, but im always recording and if someone thinks my aggressive playstyle is hurting them, I have the proof to back it up. 16 year olds dont care either way, but its a nice thing to have a backup so you can say "Hey do you want me to show you how this is NOT Mercy's fault? I have the proof I can send it to you right now".

Flag me as Battle Mercy, im fine with that lol
MartyStu
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:20 PM)
MartyStu's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

I think my video two posts above shows she can DPS pretty well inbetween healing. Ive never found her boring.

Uhh, that is not good advice.
EndMerit
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:21 PM)
EndMerit's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

Aggro can work just fine

New proof: https://youtu.be/SV6tQLZIytw

Originally Posted by BNGames

Here is a clear cut example of how Mercy SHOULD be played at a high level

Link: https://youtu.be/mZcHMb7f7Ks

Plugging your own channel, revenge-teabagging enemies and talking smack after round is over?

Edit: You know what, saying just that isn't constructive. You're playing okay, and seem to have pretty good situational awareness. There's some bad habits everyone has learned like constantly jumping while avoiding attacks and rushing alone to point after dying, but that's stuff everyone needs to conciously unlearn.

Teabagging is shitty behaviour tho.
Last edited by EndMerit; 08-01-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Woetyler
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:21 PM)
Woetyler's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

Oh believe me I know, but im always recording and if someone thinks my aggressive playstyle is hurting them, I have the proof to back it up. 16 year olds dont care either way, but its a nice thing to have a backup so you can say "Hey do you want me to show you how this is NOT Mercy's fault? I have the proof I can send it to you right now".

Flag me as Battle Mercy, im fine with that lol

I like playing her, but I just feel like I end up being forced to play her, even if I try to play another healer. And the best of all of it is the people yelling at me to change are like the 3rd and 4th dps we don't need.
BNGames
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:29 PM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by MartyStu

Uhh, that is not good advice.

I disagree with you. Pistol does the job when the way is clear. I just provided proof.

Originally Posted by EndMerit

Plugging your own channel, revenge-teabagging enemies and talking smack after round is over?

Not exactly plugging, but sure. I upload the vids to my channel because I made them, kinda can't share my examples otherwise. People say "Dont Battle Mercy" and ive provided proof after countless hours that it works. How else can I "show" that? If you don't want to watch thats on you.

Revenge Teabgging, not what I normally do, but its part of the video. Mercy has a bad wrap as this thread clearly indicates, I just choose to take it to its next logical level I guess. Dislike it if you want.

Talking smack online after a match? Again not my usual, but then again thats par for the course in any online game. You were not part of the previous matches so you didnt see the shit talk from matches before toward me, etc.

Originally Posted by Woetyler

I like playing her, but I just feel like I end up being forced to play her, even if I try to play another healer. And the best of all of it is the people yelling at me to change are like the 3rd and 4th dps we don't need.

I gotcha, that makes sense. OW is definitely unique in that respect I think.
Eppy Thatcher
God's had his chance.
(08-01-2017, 09:32 PM)
Eppy Thatcher's Avatar
So now it's Toxic if someone doesn't play up to your standards? Now it's toxic if someone wants to play comp with a specific character for a few matches and you don't like it?

Toxic?

Is it so hard to just say "You're not good at this game, then." instead? You can firmly believe that someone is shite at a game if all they know is one character. Being countered and just kind of saying "this is who I play. Imma help as much as I can but I'm staying junk/mercy/whoever..." is absolutely not "toxic" behavior.
That would never get you banned by blizzard.

and if you are so into comp that you would get THAT heated over it - maybe it's time to get 5 friends together and make a team so you can properly scold someone for not playing the way you want them to.

But toxic? come the fuck on.
Mman235
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:39 PM)
Mman235's Avatar

Originally Posted by BNGames

"Aren't doing your job"? Shows how ignorant you are to the character and how she is played at a high level.

Meanwhile what does one of the consistently most high-rank Mercy one-tricks say about this?
(from https://pastebin.com/raw/gQwYHvTr, which was a complement to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVFhhAk9vQ)

Why your pistol should be used almost never
Mercy's pistol should never be your first choice. Mercy's whole kit is designed to support her team, and using her pistol is meant as a last resort. Whether you are "going to die anyway" or you need that last few percent of your ult, neither of those cases are default situations you will be in.
Some like to use their pistol before enemy pushes to get free ult, but keep in mind how much ult likewise you will be giving their supports.
There are those who say you get more ult charge from it than Amp, and you "do more damage than damage amp would" - But keep in mind, yes damage amping gives you less ult charge than shooting, but by you damage amping someone who doesn't have their ultimate on your team helps both of you get your ults, rather than just you, while allowing you to stay in better positions. Swapping to your pistol just generally wastes time where you could otherwise be healing or Amping your team. Lastly don't use it or tether when you are hiding; a single shot will give away your position.

Oh. Pretty sure Blinky (another who consistently stayed top 500 one-tricking Mercy) said pretty much the same, but I'd need to rewatch his guide to see.
CookedChocobo
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:44 PM)
CookedChocobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by benicillin

Everyone always blames the healer. It's a thankless job.

Yup, been messaged nasty messages plenty of times after I lost a comp match playing Mercy.
BNGames
Member
(08-01-2017, 09:46 PM)
BNGames's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mman235

Meanwhile what does one of the consistently most high-rank Mercy one-tricks say about this?
(from https://pastebin.com/raw/gQwYHvTr, which was a complement to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVFhhAk9vQ)



Oh. Pretty sure Blinky (another who consistently stayed top 500 one-tricking Mercy) said pretty much the same, but I'd need to rewatch his guide to see.

Ive seen his video, I can disagree. If I had all the time in the world to play OW professionally id aim to prove him wrong but I don't.
Head.spawn
Junior Member
(08-01-2017, 10:00 PM)
Head.spawn's Avatar
Frustrating:

1) Mercy's who hide as soon as they get their ult. Like literally hide, this happens a lot for some reason. The game is now 5v6.
2) Mercy's that pocket heal and solo-revive their best friend only.

Even more frustrating:

3) Teams that don't protect the Mercy, yet complain when they aren't getting healed. If there is a Genji or a good Tracer that wants to target you and you have no help, what the hell do you do? Now you have Doom-fist who can one hit with his Right Click and will likely target you with his ult. If you team isn't helping peel. I had an incident two nights ago where I was playing Mercy with a Doomfist targeting me exclusively, I took it upon myself to kill him, 1v1 mind you because the team was simply ignoring me outside of bitching about no heals... "WTF, fucking Battlemercy!! No heals!!?" Dudes went off on me.

4) If you fail to have your ult up and be in the exact spot to revive that one person, suddenly the entire team is blaming Mercy. Especially silly when you clearly aren't in range or they're overpushing too far out and still place blame. Generally if you're rolling with people who are all together, they'll likely all blame you and start firing off obscenities and bad feedback.
Nightii
Member
(08-01-2017, 10:06 PM)
Nightii's Avatar
I don't know enough about OW to know what the specific deal with Mercy is (I will just defer to Anne, since I know she knows her stuff about this).

But God, the stigma against support classes is so fucking real, not specifically in Overwatch, but in any game that has any class or character that is supportive in nature, it's like a scrub fundamental, along with hating defensive play, and hating snipers for "being cheap" lol.
smurfx
get some go again
(08-01-2017, 10:08 PM)
smurfx's Avatar
i remember hatings medic in wolfenstein enemy territory because they were op as hell and especially with adrenaline.

Thread Tools