• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

hydrophilic attack
(07-17-2017, 11:43 PM)
hydrophilic attack's Avatar
My sister could beat it and she's not great at games
MaximumSpider
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:44 PM)
MaximumSpider's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Last One

It's kinda hard in the first time, yes. The last boss will make you really mad.

This. I'm still stuck on that son of a bitch.
Sub Boss
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:44 PM)
Sub Boss's Avatar
One of the hardest games of all time
ffdgh
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:45 PM)
ffdgh's Avatar
I sure did enjoy seeing that riku scene over and over and over..and over...
The extra bosses were a pain too.
Commanche Raisin Toast
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:45 PM)
Commanche Raisin Toast's Avatar
I always felt like I was fighting the controls and camera, so most of the time when I died it wasn't because I wasn't getting what I was supposed to do, or how to play, but because of things like not landing a jump and falling to my death because of the perspective shift when the camera moved, or something along those lines.

I never finished KH1, never played 2, or any of the others, but KH3 looks WAAAAAY more up my alley so I'm fine with skipping straight to it
DigtialT
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:46 PM)
DigtialT's Avatar
On Proud mode the first half to 2/3 of the game I would consider difficult, but end game it's about as hard as normal mode really. If you grind though it becomes easy, but thats true for any game.
TheBowen
Sat alone in a boggy marsh
(07-17-2017, 11:56 PM)
TheBowen's Avatar
It controls like ass basically, theres basically no guranted way to not get hit during combat. Most of the game was a war of attrition/ grinding like fuck

Still a good game though. Hopefully when i start kingdom hearts 2 is alot better ( skipped Rechain of memories though )

Also fuck ursula
Szadek
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:58 PM)
Szadek's Avatar

Originally Posted by EVA UNIT 01

No game has a more spammable to win dodge roll

BBS dodge is way better.

Originally Posted by matrixman92

Kingdom hearts 1 is one of the easiest in the series. Birth by sleep is easily the most difficult.

Not really. Craft the best abilities, equip a few vitas and you will almost never die.
Even at level 1 the game is easy, but very tidous because boss fights take forever.

They gave the super bosses some ridiculous attacks, but only because of how ridiculous your defensive abilties are.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(07-17-2017, 11:58 PM)
QisTopTier's Avatar
It is? I beat it in like 2 days back when it first came out. I died to Sephiroth maybe like 8 times and uh .... I can't think of anything else really
Auctopus
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:59 PM)
Auctopus's Avatar
Yeah, kinda. Last boss is stupid.
GoldStarz
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:00 AM)
GoldStarz's Avatar
I honestly think I had a harder time with KH2, although that might just be because Cure eats up all of your MP
Zomba13
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:00 AM)
Zomba13's Avatar
It's clunky at first and that can make things harder than you think they should be. It gets better as you go on and get move combos and movement abilities and spells that make it easier to avoid damage and recover. I wouldn't say its hard unless you pick Critical mode.
jviggy43
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:00 AM)
I'm astonished that so many people are saying yes here. Outside of sepiroth everything is cake.
Seven4sses
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:16 AM)
Seven4sses's Avatar
Yup, even with abilities to amplify your combos it will still be difficult. The last section is a nightmare for me on Proud.
StrongBlackVine
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:16 AM)
StrongBlackVine's Avatar
Yes. I was shocked at the difficulty of some levels and bosses.
BakedTanooki
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:17 AM)
BakedTanooki's Avatar
I only played through the HD Version on PS3, but i don't remember the game to be very challenging. But I didn't do post game stuff, like secret bosses etc. If there were any.

Definitely not "the Crash Bandicoot of Action RPGs" lol.
LegendofLex
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:20 AM)
LegendofLex's Avatar

Originally Posted by jviggy43

I'm astonished that so many people are saying yes here. Outside of sepiroth everything is cake.

Nah.

Cerberus can be really tough the first time, especially with how difficult he is to hit without being exposed to his attacks.

Ursula can be difficult too because of how clumsy the fight is + the magic blast spamming. The first phase is also really really confusing so I could totally see people getting stuck on it.

Late game fights can also be hard depending on how leveled you are and how adept you are at dodging flurries of attacks. The bosses can be really aggressive toward the end, but if you know the combat inside and out you can cheese most of them, or tank them to death if you're strong enough.
simmias
Junior Member
(07-18-2017, 12:26 AM)
simmias's Avatar

Originally Posted by Szadek

Not really. Craft the best abilities, equip a few vitas and you will almost never die.
Even at level 1 the game is easy, but very tidous because boss fights take forever.

They gave the super bosses some ridiculous attacks, but only because of how ridiculous your defensive abilties are.

I disagree entirely. The Terra fight against Mysterious Figure was easily the most frustrating thing I had to do in a KH game, and I've platted all of them. It seemed to come down to luck more than anything else in the games.
jviggy43
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

Nah.

Cerberus can be really tough the first time, especially with how difficult he is to hit without being exposed to his attacks.

Ursula can be difficult too because of how clumsy the fight is + the magic blast spamming. The first phase is also really really confusing so I could totally see people getting stuck on it.

Late game fights can also be hard depending on how leveled you are and how adept you are at dodging flurries of attacks. The bosses can be really aggressive toward the end, but if you know the combat inside and out you can cheese most of them, or tank them to death if you're strong enough.

I mean thats just the thing, the combat is pretty simplistic (I mean block isn't even a standard function in this game). By late game you should know what youre doing with those bosses. This is literally the first time Ive even heard of anyone claiming the series was hard so I'm just surprised.
cj_iwakura
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:29 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Sephiroth was a blast, as are the optional arena fights. Otherwise, not really.
SomewhatGroovy
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:32 AM)
SomewhatGroovy's Avatar
I've never beaten it and I'm no slouch when it comes to games. I've tried beating Malificent in 3 different playthroughs since the game released

I want to love this series so much but fuck, man.
Mister_Ruck
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:32 AM)
Mister_Ruck's Avatar
Once you get Cure the game becomes a lot more manageable. Enjoy it while it lasts too because in KH2 Cure uses all of your mana instead of just a single bar.

edit: Picking Sword actually makes the game a lot harder because you don't learn Leaf Bracer until way late in the game which is the ability that makes you invincible while healing.
Last edited by Mister_Ruck; 07-18-2017 at 12:37 AM.
DemWalls
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:33 AM)
DemWalls's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poppy

apparently there were secret bosses too which were harder, i think there was a clock tower one in peter pan world? that i didnt bother beating, and also some wacky scorpion thing in agrabah that i never bothered to try

i dont remember how hard the non optional stuff was

Nope, Seph is by far the hardest. Phantom (the clock tower one) has just a gimmick that makes the fight more tedious than anything, and Kurt Zisa (in Agrabah) is a joke compared to the silver haired dude.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(07-18-2017, 01:12 AM)
ZeoVGM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nachos

Staff for one extra MP (and the higher magic power that comes with it, even if it's not that important), and shield for one extra item slot. You can't get these any other way, unlike sword's bonuses. Only thing is, I remember the staff route backloading a lot of the more useful skills in Final Mix, though you do get the fancy attacks the earliest.

Hm, I feel like I remember shield being the correct choice...

Anyone else want to chime in?
Zee-Row
I'm a HUGE Nickelback fan!

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars And live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars
(07-18-2017, 01:13 AM)
Zee-Row's Avatar
I don't think it's hard but the parts where you have to platform are infuriating.
Bahorel
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:14 AM)
Bahorel's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Last One

It's kinda hard in the first time, yes. The last boss will make you really mad.

I had to take a break from the game at that point for a year before I opened it back up, grinded some levels, and finally put it to bed. I keep reminding myself that next time I start a new KH game it should be on easy.
Brawly Likes to Brawl
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:18 AM)
Brawly Likes to Brawl's Avatar
I remember having a tougher time with it than KH2, but that was a decade ago, so I don't know how I would tackle it now. The most frustrating part I can remember is the last Riku fight that starts with that stupid I AM ANSEM cutscene. I was playing the non-final mix version so that meant I couldn't skip scenes.
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(07-18-2017, 01:20 AM)
NipplesAndToes23's Avatar
You better give them those potions.
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(07-18-2017, 01:23 AM)
NipplesAndToes23's Avatar
Just in some parts. I think Cerberus first fight is always difficult for me and Maleficent Dragon. I recall seeing that cutscene so many times. Then you have the secret bosses. Kurt Ziza is a motherfucker.

The Coliseum does provide some good challenge and it's more fair. I felt KH II's Coliseum was too hard. I don't think I ever beat it.
Strings
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:35 AM)
Strings's Avatar
Wouldn't say it's very difficult outside of Proud (and that's only at the very start), or Sephiroth at any difficulty :P

That said, I guess I'm coming at the question with like, over a decade of heartless knowledge? Iunno. The game is definitely clunkier combat-wise than what follows.
Szadek
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:36 AM)
Szadek's Avatar

Originally Posted by simmias

I disagree entirely. The Terra fight against Mysterious Figure was easily the most frustrating thing I had to do in a KH game, and I've platted all of them. It seemed to come down to luck more than anything else in the games.

Terra gets the short end of the stick for sure, but if you don't equip the "upgrade" to his dash, it isn't too bad either.
TheGreatDirector
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:38 AM)
TheGreatDirector's Avatar
Ursula is the goddamn devil. Kurt Zisa can be bothersome too. Sephiroth is the ultimate test.

Other than that, the game is a fun challenge, but nowhere near the most difficult of action rpgs out there.
momshotdad
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:39 AM)
momshotdad's Avatar
Yeah you're gonna have to grind a bit. I still recommend it, but know it's from 2003. God that last boss fight is infuriating....
Syril
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:44 AM)

Originally Posted by ZeoVGM

Hm, I feel like I remember shield being the correct choice...

Anyone else want to chime in?

Well the biggest thing it does is let you learn Second Chance WAY before sword and staff do.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(07-18-2017, 01:50 AM)
ZeoVGM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Syril

Well the biggest thing it does is let you learn Second Chance WAY before sword and staff do.

It's coming back to me now that you said that. I feel like that's pretty important. Haha.
LordofPwn
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:51 AM)
LordofPwn's Avatar
First time playing it on PS2 I thought it was a bit difficult, could never beat sephiroth. When it came to PS3 I platinumed it and only thought the gummi ship trophies to be a bit of a pain. KH1 is my fav in the series but KH2 has a more fun combat system.
Yukinari
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:54 AM)
Yukinari's Avatar
Sure as hell aint fun on proud mode.
mrlion
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:00 AM)
mrlion's Avatar
I wouldn't say its difficult but just some annoying designs that they had in the combat system that made it bad and that includes a very bad camera.
crash-14
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:00 AM)
crash-14's Avatar
I remember when I played the game like 13 years ago I also got stucked on Olympus but my case was fucking Cerberus.

2nd Ursula was drained the hell out of me and Maleficent Dragon was kinda stupid. Other than that, I don't recall any hard moments boss related.
Celcius
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:01 AM)
Celcius's Avatar
I beat it back when it released and don't remember the main game being that difficult? I beat Sephiroth & the other bosses and kinda remember that being on the tough side though. It was a long time ago though.
LAM09
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:02 AM)
LAM09's Avatar
I completed it for the first time a few weeks ago and I didn't have any issues in that regard for the most part. Only thing that shocked me was the final boss still managed to beat all his forms in the fear that there wasn't a checkpoint.
Theslammer
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:11 AM)
Theslammer's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheWorthyEdge

Yes. It's hard. Maleficient fight is FUCK ugly hard.

That's a very interesting way of putting it! xD~~
0ptimusPayne
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:17 AM)
0ptimusPayne's Avatar
While its not that difficult there are some cheap ass deaths in boss fights. Tinker Bell is OP, and makes a lot of encounters pretty easy.
tensuke
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:39 AM)
tensuke's Avatar
I platinumed it, because I had done most things in my completionist playthrough, but man. I don't know how it is on normal, but some sidebosses were *brutal* on proud, and the last boss was just as bad on easy (doing unchanging armor though).

Picking shield is almost always the best way to go, in 1 especially because you get Leaf Bracer and Second Chance much earlier which is a literal lifesaver. The camera was also pretty bad at times, and the magic is so useless when it almost always misses that I hardly ever used it, honestly. I pretty much button mashed attack most of the game and came out fine. Sometimes it took a bit of leveling somewhere but generally it wasn't too bad through most of it.
Kingpin Rogers
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:41 AM)
Kingpin Rogers's Avatar
Not me but my brother played KH1 for the first time a little while ago, started on proud mode or whatever it's called and he didn't seem to have much trouble. He is annoyingly good at games though so maybe it's just him.
JayBabay
Member
(07-18-2017, 02:57 AM)
JayBabay's Avatar
I found it easier than KH2's hardest mode so far.
SealOfTheProphet
Junior Member
(07-18-2017, 03:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Stat Flow

Get through it because KH2 is worth it. The upgrade in combat is ridiculous.

yeah I enjoy mashing triangle to win

/s
chemicals
Member
(07-18-2017, 03:17 AM)
I never thought it was hard. It has a learning curve but it is not difficult.
Lee Chaolan
Member
(07-18-2017, 03:31 AM)
Lee Chaolan's Avatar
I remember being so proud of myself beating the Phantom, or whatever it was on the Peter Pan Clocktower Stage.

Oh yeah, and then that Sephiroth guy.

All on PS2 baby.
Azuran
Member
(07-18-2017, 03:40 AM)
Azuran's Avatar
Kingdom Hearts is only hard if you're one of those people who mindlessly attacks enemies without checking your surroundings.

Play defensively and only attack when you see an opening that won't get you kill. Every single enemy telegraphs their attacks so it's easy to know when and how to dodge them.

Originally Posted by SealOfTheProphet

yeah I enjoy mashing triangle to win

/s

Bayonetta 2 is garbage too if you play on the easiest difficulty.

Go play Critical Mode and then come back to me. KH2 has the best and deepest battle system in the entire series.

Thread Tools