• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Catvoca
(10-24-2016, 11:39 PM)

(Fanart by Daniel Fu)

Waypoint is the gaming division of Vice, headed up by ex-Giant Bomb duder Austin Walker. While articles are obviously going to be a big part of the site, they also plan on doing weekly streams, podcasts, videos and all that good stuff too.

We aim to be a guide to games culture. We want to investigate how and why people play games through a combination of articles, live streams, podcasts, and videos. We want to make you think, laugh, and ask new questions. Waypoint isn't just our name, it's a guide for us at the site, too, something we can orient ourselves with as we step forward into whatever comes next.

- Austin Walker, Why Vice Gaming is now Waypoint

Our aim at Waypoint is to cover games with criticality and humanity. It is to give as much attention to the people, passion, and politics of gaming as we have been giving to the products. It is to explore how and why we play, not only because trying to answer those questions will lead us to tell great stories, but because we fundamentally believe that this will offer insight into the wider "state of play," into the culture that games emerge from and that people play in.

It is also our goal to build a new lexicon inside of the gaming community. One that isn't about reaching wider audiences with new stories, but one that will help us address our own failures, systemic and personal. I want you to help us do that, and to hold us to it, too.

We want to learn (together) how to move with compassion and with interest. We want to find and share our own methods of inquiry, so that we can find ways to understand how others differ from us, why they think, act, and play differently—instead of only dismissing them as outsiders.

This will not only help us build common ground to form new, important coalitions, but will also teach us how to address the actual, meaningful differences that have lead us into dramatic and upsetting conflict.

- Austin Walker, A Note on Trump, Waypoint and why we play

Important Links

Twitch
Youtube
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Soundcloud
Reddit

Podcasts:

Waypoint has two podcasts.

Waypoint Radio is a show hosted by Patrick, Austin, Danielle and Rob every Monday and Friday. It's usually between 40 - 60 minutes long, and consists of the hosts talking about what they're playing, gaming news and listener emails. You can find it on itunes, Google Play, Sticher and through this RSS Feed

They also have The Waypoint UK Podcast, hosted by Mike Diver. It's a monthly show with guests and general gaming talk. Don't sleep on it! itunes

Articles

Waypoint boasts a variety of articles both from the core staff and talented freelancers. These can be anything from investigative journalism to videogame critiques. Here's a few articles to give you taste of what they're all about.

How 'Dark Souls II' Reflects Our Historical and Political Anxieties by Brendan Vance
The Wii U Deserved Better by Danielle Riendeau
How Games, Piracy, and Religion Come Together in Saudi Arabia by Hussian Almahr
It Took One Player 750 Hours To Explore Every Location In ‘Fallout 4’ by Patrick Klepek
Dragons in the Department of Corrections by Elisabeth de Kleer
Meet the Hackers Breathing New Life Into Sony's Abandoned PlayStation Vita by Wesley Copeland

Video

Waypoint is going to be doing streams and videos with the regular crew. The streams are on their Twitch channel, and their videos on Youtube and Vice. So far they've done a pretty fantastic 72 hour stream with a whole bunch of guests. Here's some highlights from that.

Austin and Patrick play Revenge of Shinobi with Just Blaze
Giant Bomb and Waypoint play "Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire
Patrick, Danika and Victoria (Sailorbee) from Crunchyroll voice over an anime game
'Gears of War 4' with Desus and Mero from VICELAND
Waypoint plays Drawful with Griffin McElroy
Waypoint plays Dungeon World, a tabletop rpg

They also produce documentary style videos in a series they call Pixel By Pixel

SuperHyperCube: The Retro-Futurist VR Game 7 Years in the Making

Hyper Light Drifter’ - Inside the Video Game Inspired by a Life-Threatening Illness

Forums

Waypoint has their own forums now! If you have room in your life for another non-Neogaf web forum it seems like a pretty chill place to talk about games, music, anime, or pretty much anything you can think of.

Staff Links

Austin Walker, Editor-In-Chief

Twitter
Friends at the Table podcast

Patrick "Scoops" Klepek, Senior Reporter

Twitter
Youtube
Twitch

Danielle Riendeau, Managing Editor

Twitter
Tumblr
Idle Weekend Podcast

Danika Harrod, Social Editor

Twitter
Soundcloud
Instagram

Mike Diver, Senior Editior

Twitter

Rob Zacny, Senior Editor
Twitter

Joel Fowler, Publisher
Twitter

The site is Live! Just visit Bazinga.zone, digitalpyramids.com, New.Donk.City or click the image at the top of the OP.
Last edited by Catvoca; 05-02-2017 at 11:05 PM.
KZXcellent
(10-24-2016, 11:40 PM)
Man that OT subtitle is STRONG.
Cheddahz
(10-24-2016, 11:41 PM)
Man, I'm stoked for Waypoint and its future
Rainmaker
(10-24-2016, 11:41 PM)
I miss when they were in the basement

Excited to add a second game site to my life. No other group of people could make me want this.
Catvoca
(10-24-2016, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by KZXcellent

Man that OT subtitle is STRONG.

I can't take credit, they said on the first episode of their podcast they wanted to call it Vice City, but obviously couldn't because of legal stuff.
Nishastra
(10-24-2016, 11:43 PM)
There was a Twitch stream today, but I missed it and there's no archive. Boo.
kiguel182
(10-24-2016, 11:43 PM)
Love the team they have. Hopefully this will last and I'm sure they'll be doing great things!
Fireblend
No Member
(10-24-2016, 11:44 PM)
Subbed. Really excited about the lineup. Patrick, Austin and Danielle in a single site sounds great. Hope we get that same lineup regularly on the podcast as well!
Messofanego
(10-24-2016, 11:48 PM)
Damn it, that's a good subtitle XD
Incandenza
(10-24-2016, 11:58 PM)
I love waypoint.zone
LiK
(10-24-2016, 11:58 PM)
Great thread. Subbing to follow the stuff.
SolicitorPirate
(10-24-2016, 11:59 PM)
It's kinda crazy how strong a team Austin managed to assemble.
KDC720
(10-25-2016, 12:01 AM)
Very excited to see where this site goes. They have assembled a pretty fantastic crew and so far their output has been great.
Sou Da
(10-25-2016, 12:02 AM)
Just in time:

In less than a week, Waypoint will be kicking off a ridiculous 72-hour livestream to celebrate the launch of our new website. Before we get there, though, it’s time for a podcast, this time with the added bonus of managing editor (and talented writer) Danielle Riendeau.

On today’s podcast, Danielle explains why she’s fallen hard for Mafia III, Austin dives deep into board gaming’s past, and I celebrated being able to beat a boss in Dark Souls 3. Go me! We also ventured into The Question Bucket to mull gaming’s relationship with the writing process.

http://vicegamingnew.vice-media.libs...iendeau-effect
Zekes!
(10-25-2016, 12:04 AM)
my love of Austin and Patrick means this will be the only other video game related site (not including GAF) besides Giant Bomb that I regularly visit
Grisby
(10-25-2016, 12:05 AM)
Subbed. If only to hear Austin's HA HA's in the near future.
mnz
(10-25-2016, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Sou Da

Just in time:

http://vicegamingnew.vice-media.libs...iendeau-effect

A Patrick, Austin and Danielle podcast is a damn fine offer.

Also...this account is just Austin, isn't it?
https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/790684279164510209
Atomski
(10-25-2016, 12:06 AM)
Really happy this group came together. Austin, Patrick and co should lead to some great content.
tonka
(10-25-2016, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by mnz

A Patrick, Austin and Danielle podcast is a damn fine offer.

Also...this account is just Austin, isn't it?
https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/790684279164510209

No it's the woman who was on the last podcast, Danika Harrod
Lime
(10-25-2016, 12:07 AM)
Amazing crew. Danielle joining as well just makes it even better.

I also love that they're using Dragons Dogma as inspiration for their name.

A waypoint is anything in the world that we orient ourselves by, something that we look to for guidance on a journey. In the past, waypoints were things either natural to the world—that one weird tree, the sharp plateau in the distance—or things placed in the world by those who held the authority to erect watchtowers and fortresses, train yards and taverns. They were places travelers saw on the horizon, places where people stopped to rest and recuperate before moving forward.

But in games, waypoints take on an additional dimension: They are the first (and brightest) illustration of a player's intention. We use them both to guide us onto our objectives and to lead us off the beaten track and toward wherever our curiosity takes us. Before we assault the fortress, before we start the race, before we leap from one star system to another, we set a waypoint. They are the marks we leave on the map, the beacons we place in the dark that declare, yes, we will walk into the night.

When it was first released, Dragon's Dogma had a very limited "fast travel" system. There wasn't an easy, repeatable way to teleport yourself safely and easily across the map. Every waypoint you set was a commitment. It meant taking the time to prepare, charging ahead with a mixture of trepidation and excitement, and dealing with whatever unpredictable bullshit came your way.

That's why we're Waypoint. Maybe it's a bit on the nose as a metaphor, but it is our intention all the same. We aim to be a guide to games culture. We want to investigate how and why people play games through a combination of articles, live streams, podcasts, and videos. We want to make you think, laugh, and ask new questions. Waypoint isn't just our name, it's a guide for us at the site, too, something we can orient ourselves with as we step forward into whatever comes next.

robotrock
(10-25-2016, 12:23 AM)
Added on Snapchat.
opticalmace
(10-25-2016, 12:26 AM)
Great OT, thanks for making it.

Maybe it would be useful to have pictures beside the staff names?
Salarians
(10-25-2016, 12:27 AM)
Sou Da
(10-25-2016, 12:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Salarians

hamchan
(10-25-2016, 12:34 AM)
Just call the podcast the Waystation or something like that.
Catvoca
(10-25-2016, 12:35 AM)

Originally Posted by opticalmace

Great OT, thanks for making it.

Maybe it would be useful to have pictures beside the staff names?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely going to add pictures of the staff soon.
Technosteve
(10-25-2016, 01:03 AM)
I dont get it, vice city is set in miami not new york.
Also waypoint sounds like a mapping company.

Are they a mapping company?
Jabronium
(10-25-2016, 01:05 AM)
Awesome. I'm psyched to have a site to care about again. Looking forward to the big stream this weekend, should be a perfect accompaniment to DS3 DLC and Titanfall 2.
misses bull
(10-25-2016, 01:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Technosteve

I dont get it, vice city is set in miami not new york.
Also waypoint sounds like a mapping company.

Are they a mapping company?

Vice is waypoints parent company
LiK
(10-25-2016, 01:08 AM)
Austin knows about this thread now. :)

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/st...02589998460929
SirAndroidTV
(10-25-2016, 01:09 AM)
That subtitle is beautiful.
Technosteve
(10-25-2016, 01:09 AM)

Originally Posted by misses bull

Vice is waypoints parent company

So they are going to smoke DMT and play REZ?
daveo42
(10-25-2016, 01:10 AM)

Best name for a site ever. Surprised they didn't go with the three different people who independently said it'd make for a good name.
Poyunch
I can't wait for some quality memeing on their snapchat.

I don't know how to use snapchat but that's all my friends apparently use it for.
jambo

I couldn't stop laughing and cringing when they read out the final name.
Salarians
(10-25-2016, 01:13 AM)

Originally Posted by LiK

Senpai noticed us!
Catvoca
(10-25-2016, 01:17 AM)

Originally Posted by LiK

Awesome!
opticalmace
(10-25-2016, 01:20 AM)

Senpai noticed us!

Zedox
(10-25-2016, 01:23 AM)
Subtitle is OP/Broken.
SolicitorPirate
(10-25-2016, 01:28 AM)
Since Austin is aware of this thread, I'd like to propose the Waypoint crew be known as the Shuffle Alliance
hamchan
(10-25-2016, 01:29 AM)
Can we just call this site Bazinga! as a nickname now?
daveo42
(10-25-2016, 01:32 AM)

Originally Posted by SolicitorPirate

Since Austin is aware of this thread, I'd like to propose the Waypoint crew be known as the Shuffle Alliance

I'd also suggest that that podcast now be deemed the Bazinga!cast.
Beast780
(10-25-2016, 01:32 AM)
I love that I can get my Austin and Patrick fix in one spot now. I also love how short and to the point the podcast has been. A great supplement to the Beast and Bombcast.
stan_marsh
(10-25-2016, 01:48 AM)
Subbed.love this podcast
Trail Guide
(10-25-2016, 02:16 AM)
Space Cowboy, Klip Klop, and Jr. mints all at the same place! I haven't been this excited about a new gaming website since 2008. This truly is the best time to be listing to podcasts and visiting websites about video games. They'll never be as good as the highest rated* podcast The Beastcast but they should be a great runner up.

Really looking forward to this.

*Accorrding to VinnCo. surveys
BUNTING1243
(10-25-2016, 02:41 AM)
stupid smart talent list for what could've been a very lame vice site. really excited to see it!
JoeyJungle
(10-25-2016, 02:51 AM)
Since their hiring strategy is to just hire all my favorite podcasters, when is Rob Zacny's start date?
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(10-25-2016, 02:53 AM)

Originally Posted by hamchan

Just call the podcast the Waystation or something like that.

Holy shit do it
spiritfox
(10-25-2016, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by JoeyJungle

Since their hiring strategy is to just hire all my favorite podcasters, when is Rob Zacny's start date?

Didn't Rob move to SF recently?
Anjin M
(10-25-2016, 03:30 AM)

Originally Posted by JoeyJungle

Consider this tweet

Originally Posted by Austin Walker's Tweets

Real talk? I'm hoping next year.