• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

ShadowFox08
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:02 AM)
ShadowFox08's Avatar
Several years ago Iwata stated that the home and portable Nintendo consoles won't be that much different from each other and essentially said that successor of the Wii u(Switch) will be a part of a family of devices.

What can we expect for Switch in the future? Considering that we got tech upgrades for the 3DS(new 3ds having more RAM and CPU), and this current trend of half generation steps, its almost guaranteed that there will be a switch iteration down the road, perhaps sooner than we think.. And Nvidia's tegra family of chips definitely falls in line with this.

One of the most obvious predictions have been a x2 Pascal 16nm upgrade which could potentially increase power by 50% and power efficiency by twice as much.

So is it fair to say we could get such a thing in 1-2 years, which could possibly give us a 600 GFLOPs console with nearly twice the battery life?

Or perhaps the most exciting thing to predict is when we'll get an upgrade that will be as powerful as the ps4 in GPU, with 8GB of RAM, and a similar CPU upgrade, with the same wattage, battery life usage, without getting overheated? Its also important to note that we don't need that power in handheld mode actually and could have half the power disabled to conserve battery life and overheating.

What do you guys think? 16nm seems likely in 1-2 years, and perhaps a 7nm will do it in 2019 for ps4 specs on a mobile switch iteration?

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/02/0...ely-different/
Zee-Row
Banned
(07-16-2017, 12:03 AM)
Zee-Row's Avatar
I hope they don't call it "New" Nintendo Switch.
Kickz
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:04 AM)
Kickz's Avatar
Night Angel
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:05 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar
No one knows, but my guess is that we won't see Nintendo releasing anything with bleeding edge tech. I also definitely don't see them releasing a "Pro" update for the Switch, especially not in a year or two.

PS4 level performance in 2019 on a portable is a bit silly to expect after they released a portable Wii-U+ (which is closer to PS360 than current gen) so long after that tech's release.
JonnyDBrit
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:07 AM)
JonnyDBrit's Avatar
On the tech side of things, DF covered much of this a month and a half ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVtcWRBJoAs

My expectation in the short term would be either a refresh with Tegra X2, or as Kickz suggests, a cheaper but solely portable device.
Kickz
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:08 AM)
Kickz's Avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:10 AM)
Joe Shlabotnik's Avatar
The Wii got one revision in Canada late in its life, and the Wii U never got one (why bother, admittedly).

The damn thing is four months old people.
Nitty_Grimes
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:12 AM)
Nitty_Grimes's Avatar
Nintendo Titch (which here in the UK means small)
entremet
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:13 AM)
entremet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik

The Wii got one revision in Canada late in its life, and the Wii U never got one (why bother, admittedly).

The damn thing is four months old people.

Portables have traditionally gotten revisions. I actually want a bigger one lol.
Mediking
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:13 AM)
Mediking's Avatar
I already have a Switch so here's my input....IMPROVE THE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMPROVE!!!

THE!!!!!!!

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WonderzL
Banned
(07-16-2017, 12:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Kickz

cackling
amnesiac
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:15 AM)
amnesiac's Avatar
edit: nvm!
Ex-Psych
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:16 AM)
Ex-Psych's Avatar
I don't care what it is, but just call it, The Super Nintendo Switch, and shortened it to Super Switch.
Pancakes R Us
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:17 AM)
Pancakes R Us's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

I totally want a mini one. I like the current Switch, but for me it's too big for portable play.
B-Dubs
No Scrubs
(07-16-2017, 12:24 AM)
B-Dubs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mediking

I already have a Switch so here's my input....IMPROVE THE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMPROVE!!!

THE!!!!!!!

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either they figure out how to shrink all the chips or we see a giant break through in battery tech. Only way it happens.

Originally Posted by Pancakes R Us

I totally want a mini one. I like the current Switch, but for me it's too big for portable play.

We want better battery life, not worse.
MadeULook
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Kickz

Heh.

I would totally buy a Switch mini that is only portable. Call it the Nintendo Vita and give actual support to it.
Philippo
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:29 AM)
Philippo's Avatar
Nintendo Switch Dock Elite
-Spring 2019
-100~149$
-Internal hardware
-4k checkboard rendering
-internal HDD

Nintendo Switch Mini
-Spring 2020
-229$
-No dock included, but dock-compatible
-Smaller (Vita size)
-Improved battery life
-Same specs
-Bigger memory
-No Joy-Cons

Super Nintendo Switch
-Spring 2021
-300$
-New Gen
-Exclusive games
-New nVidia hardware
-Close or equal to PS4 in terms of performance
-4K checkboard rendering when docked
-Bigger memory
-Improved screen
-Redesigned ports layout
-Backward compatibility
ZOONAMI
Junior Member
(07-16-2017, 12:33 AM)
ZOONAMI's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mediking

I already have a Switch so here's my input....IMPROVE THE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMPROVE!!!

THE!!!!!!!

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Min brightness which is honestly fine as long as you aren't outside and the battery life is honesty pretty fucking good. Comparable or better than tablets if all you did was game on them even at higher brightness. What do you want? A 13000mah battery? Then get a portable battery charger and call it a day. If you want that from Nintendo the device would be twice as thick and cost at least $50 more. No thanks.
VistraNorrez
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:36 AM)
VistraNorrez's Avatar
I just want a spec bump that I can buy just the tablet for. $229.
Little Mons†er
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:45 AM)
Little Mons†er's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

That Switch mini looks horrible

Goes completely against what the Switch is lol
cubicle47b
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:47 AM)
cubicle47b's Avatar
I'll happily buy a Switch Mini if Nintendo implements cloud saves and allows you to play downloaded games on multiple systems using the same account. If not, it's not worth it.
Atheerios
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:48 AM)
Atheerios's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

This.

I don't think we will see a Switch Pro. And even if it happens, it will have very few games made / optimized for it.
TI82
Banned
(07-16-2017, 12:50 AM)
Built in 4g connection is a must for the next system iteration.
Mr Swine
Banned
(07-16-2017, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Kickz

So how is Nintendo and 3:re party Devs going to solve the problem of games having single joy con gameplay? If Switch Mini doesn't have joycons then people will get confused when they want to play 2 player games on a single switch in tabletop mode (which won't work)
-shadow-
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:53 AM)
-shadow-'s Avatar
Probably even more if these topics I'd guess...

Maybe the new chipset will be viable for a internal redesign? Anyone knows if that would be possible?
molnizzle
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:55 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

I want this so bad.

I'd still use docked / pro controller most of the time, but when I did want to take the Switch somewhere it'd be even more convenient -- and I'd have a real d-pad. This would be perfect for me.

Originally Posted by Little Mons†er

That Switch mini looks horrible

Goes completely against what the Switch is lol

Normal Switch would still be available for those who want that experience.

Originally Posted by Mr Swine

So how is Nintendo and 3:re party Devs going to solve the problem of games having single joy con gameplay? If Switch Mini doesn't have joycons then people will get confused when they want to play 2 player games on a single switch in tabletop mode (which won't work)

Switch mini wouldn't be the best choice for those people.
Kickz
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:57 AM)
Kickz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr Swine

So how is Nintendo and 3:re party Devs going to solve the problem of games having single joy con gameplay? If Switch Mini doesn't have joycons then people will get confused when they want to play 2 player games on a single switch in tabletop mode (which won't work)

.
Pancakes R Us
Member
(07-16-2017, 12:58 AM)
Pancakes R Us's Avatar

Originally Posted by B-Dubs

Either they figure out how to shrink all the chips or we see a giant break through in battery tech. Only way it happens.



We want better battery life, not worse.

Any reason why the battery life can't be better with a smaller screen? I'm no expert in this area though, just assumed that it could be equal or better as it won't need to power 6" screen.
molnizzle
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:00 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar
I think they'll call it the Switch "Pocket" though, not mini.
Ventara
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:01 AM)
Ventara's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

I'd buy this.
Nafai1123
Banned
(07-16-2017, 01:02 AM)
Dock elite compatible with current Switch would be awesome.

I would also like a future Switch XL that's actually the same size but larger screen. The bezels are huge.
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(07-16-2017, 01:03 AM)
Graphics Horse's Avatar

Originally Posted by B-Dubs

Either they figure out how to shrink all the chips or we see a giant break through in battery tech. Only way it happens.

We want better battery life, not worse.

There's already a ~2x power efficient version of the SoC, or something very similar.
Gator86
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:04 AM)
Gator86's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

Would buy a switch mini and a cheap 3rd party dock. I hate the joycons so losing their functionality means nothing to me.
molnizzle
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:06 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gator86

Would buy a switch mini and a cheap 3rd party dock. I hate the joycons so losing their functionality means nothing to me.

Same. My joycons might as well be attached to the Switch. That's the only time they're ever used.
Fantastical
Death Prophet
(07-16-2017, 01:06 AM)
Fantastical's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

Why would a mini be that much cheaper? Where are they saving money?
EDIT: I guess no dock + joycon dock but still...
molnizzle
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:08 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastical

Why would a mini be that much cheaper? Where are they saving money?
EDIT: I guess no dock + joycon dock but still...

No dock, no joycons, no HD rumble, smaller screen. I could see it.
Gator86
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:08 AM)
Gator86's Avatar

Originally Posted by molnizzle

Same. My joycons might as well be attached to the Switch. That's the only time they're ever used.

Yeah, they're awful and I would never use the tabletop mode. A switch mini and cheap dock would be the pinnacle of the switch form factor for me.
WonderzL
Banned
(07-16-2017, 01:09 AM)
I don't see them ditching the joycons. They will be in the next version. That's 100% sure.

I'm starting to remember the "gamepad-less wii u" posts.
MAtgS
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:10 AM)
MAtgS's Avatar
Switch XL

-9-10 inch that would easier to read in tabletop mode.

-Larger joycons that would be more comfortable to hold.

-Larger battery=longer life.

Seems to me like the way to go.
ShadowFox08
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:10 AM)
ShadowFox08's Avatar

Originally Posted by Night Angel

No one knows, but my guess is that we won't see Nintendo releasing anything with bleeding edge tech. I also definitely don't see them releasing a "Pro" update for the Switch, especially not in a year or two.

PS4 level performance in 2019 on a portable is a bit silly to expect after they released a portable Wii-U+ (which is closer to PS360 than current gen) so long after that tech's release.

I dunno.. If they have the fans and the same watt usage, it could be possible. Handheld mode could be using 2.25x less power consumption/RAM/GPU and when it's in docked mode it will run full power.
molnizzle
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:12 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by WonderzL

I don't see them ditching the joycons. They will be in the next version. That's 100% sure.

Options. I think there will definitely be a smaller/more portable version of the Switch in time for the next mainline Pokémon game. It's kind of necessary for kids. Maybe they'll even do one with a clamshell design similar to a 3DS. They'll do something though.

Originally Posted by WonderzL

I'm starting to remember the "gamepad-less wii u" posts.

They also should've done that.

The difference is now Nintendo is making good decisions (for the most part). Which is why they'll probably do a Switch Pocket.
ShadowFox08
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:12 AM)
ShadowFox08's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik

The Wii got one revision in Canada late in its life, and the Wii U never got one (why bother, admittedly).

The damn thing is four months old people.

The switch is part portable, and the NVIDIA architecture is easily scalable.
vaudevillain
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:13 AM)
vaudevillain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

How on Earth would this be compatible with the dock? It wouldn't slide in due to the reduced size. The sticks would get stuck on the dock itself.
WonderzL
Banned
(07-16-2017, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by molnizzle

Options. I think there will definitely be a smaller/more portable version of the Switch in time for the next mainline Pokémon game. It's kind of necessary for kids. Maybe they'll even do one with a clamshell design similar to a 3DS. They'll do something though.



They also should've done that.

The difference is now Nintendo is making good decisions (for the most part). Which is why they'll probably do a Switch Pocket.

No, they are not. lol You don't ditch you product's ideas. That's why the Wii U stayed the way it was and that's why the joy-cons are here to stay, really. The difference is just that the Switch has a better idea.
wanders
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:15 AM)
wanders's Avatar

Originally Posted by Night Angel

No one knows, but my guess is that we won't see Nintendo releasing anything with bleeding edge tech. I also definitely don't see them releasing a "Pro" update for the Switch, especially not in a year or two.

PS4 level performance in 2019 on a portable is a bit silly to expect after they released a portable Wii-U+ (which is closer to PS360 than current gen) so long after that tech's release.

How is a portable Wii U not bleeding tech...
Gator86
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:15 AM)
Gator86's Avatar

Originally Posted by WonderzL

I don't see them ditching the joycons. They will be in the next version. That's 100% sure.

I'm starting to remember the "gamepad-less wii u" posts.

Nintendo's newest handheld is a 3DS without 3D. Occasionally, they will drop a gimmick to make a cheaper, better product.
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(07-16-2017, 01:17 AM)
Graphics Horse's Avatar

Originally Posted by vaudevillain

How on Earth would this be compatible with the dock? It wouldn't slide in due to the reduced size. The sticks would get stuck on the dock itself.

Yeah I think any ideas of original dock compatibility (without a connecting cable) are not going to fly. A mini would either not work with docks at all, ot it would have its own charging stand available.
molnizzle
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:18 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by WonderzL

No, they are not. lol You don't ditch you product's ideas. That's why the Wii U stayed the way it was and that's why the joy-cons are here to stay, really. The difference is just that the Switch has a better idea.

The joycons are the least important aspect of the Switch. The point of the device is to be a home console that you can take with you. A Pocket Switch would still accomplish that--and it'd still be compatible with additional joycons if you were into that.
OmegaDL50
Member
(07-16-2017, 01:20 AM)
OmegaDL50's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

I don't know how this would work. The analogs on the Switch mini would stick out too far making it impossible to fit into the dock.

The Dock is narrow enough as it is just to fit the Switch.

Also shrinking the unit into a Mini is most certainly going to diminish the battery life, the Switch as-is is basically 60% battery on the inside leaving little else for the circuit board components and fan.

The idea for a Mini would be nice I guess, but with the Switch itself already being portable as is, It may be somewhat redundant.
sanstesy
Banned
(07-16-2017, 01:21 AM)

Originally Posted by molnizzle

The joycons are the least important aspect of the Switch. The point of the device is to be a home console that you can take with you. A Pocket Switch would still accomplish that--and it'd still be compatible with additional joycons if you were into that.

They are an important aspect of the Switch and they won't diminsh its value any time soon.

You will see a Mini in 3 years or so when the time is right.

Thread Tools