• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(07-17-2017, 12:35 PM)

Originally Posted by 2+2=5

Wow lol.

I searched some videos of RWBY and it looks like a PSP game :\
I understand being indie and all the rest, but at least add a basic cel shading.

It was not ever going for graphical fidelity considering the base was essentially done out of Monty's basement, that's not really the draw. But they have improved the visuals significantly in the switch to Maya

Originally Posted by michaelius

Is RWBY worth watching? I looked at trailers on CR after this was annouced and it looks really cheap ?

It is relatively very cheap yes. Its worth a watch IMO
Loz246789
(07-17-2017, 12:46 PM)

Is RWBY worth watching? I looked at trailers on CR after this was annouced and it looks really cheap ?

Animation quality wise, season 1 is ROUGH. Background characters are just black shadows of people, and even with the main cast there are a few bits where you can tell they just didn't have the budget to do some things better. Fortunately, season 1 is the shortest season, and each subsequent season is a drastic improvement. And the fight choreography at the very least is almost always a treat.

Plotwise, it's a slow build, and it can feel a bit predictable at points, but the characters generally do a good job at carrying the show until the plot actually gets going. Not the best overall, but certainly not the worst, and hey if it gets in more fight scenes I'm certainly not complaining.

Also the music is excellent. Consistently. If nothing else listen to the soundtrack.
Weltall Zero
(07-17-2017, 01:05 PM)
I'm all for this if they go apeshit MvC2 and put the entire roster of each game in there.

Originally Posted by LordKano

Bamco : we make very anime games
ASW : hold my beer

I laughed at this way more than I probably should. :D
sibarraz
(07-17-2017, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

UNIEL's sprites are too recent(and more importantly high quality) to logically have Arc redo them, its not a Capcom SNK scenario.

This is most likely a budget endeavor for Arc of all the sprites from their previous games they had lying around plus exposure for France Pan. All they really need to do is make the RWBY sprites and some new stages

But would they fit with the rest of the characters? At least Blazblue and Persona look like they could belong in a same game, but don't know how will uniel sprites look there
stryke
(07-17-2017, 01:23 PM)
What's the choreography been like for RWBY since Monty's passing?
sixteen-bit
(07-17-2017, 01:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Weltall Zero

I'm all for this if they go apeshit MvC2 and put the entire roster of each game in there.

Yeah I don't mind the asset reuse if it maximizes the roster.
A.J.
(07-17-2017, 01:54 PM)

Originally Posted by stryke

Definitely a step down
Loz246789
(07-17-2017, 01:58 PM)

Season 3 was pretty great, although this is largely because a lot of the ground work was already done before Monty passed away.
Season 4... Largely less so. There's one really cool fight half way through the season, but otherwise you can really feel Monty's passing. Fortunately the writers seemed to realise this and shift the focus for the season towards other things, but hopefully season 5 improves again.
SolarPowered
(07-17-2017, 01:59 PM)
Didn't see this until just this morning. Ruby is blowing my mind right now.
Scrooge McDuck
(07-17-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by sibarraz

But would they fit with the rest of the characters? At least Blazblue and Persona look like they could belong in a same game, but don't know how will uniel sprites look there

The style might not be exactly the same, but I feel they're close enough for the sprite works to not look jarring.

Romars202129
(07-17-2017, 02:17 PM)
If Kanji's in only.
I might be able to make do with Killer and Teddy but Kanji is a definite sale.
striferser
Huge Nickleback Fan
(07-17-2017, 02:32 PM)
I have no idea how this is possible, but you know what, i'll take it.
Rabid Dwarf 76
(07-17-2017, 02:37 PM)
I am totally down for this. Arc System Works's games always click with me. Can't wait to try this out!
BackwardCap
(07-17-2017, 03:20 PM)
They should have gone all out and combined every franchise's name into the title instead of making it just a subsection of the BlazBlue series.

Also, aren't Uniel characters super broken in terms of fighting game characters. They're probably getting nerfed beyond belief just so every other franchise stands a chance.
Alanae
(07-17-2017, 03:52 PM)

Originally Posted by BackwardCap

Also, aren't Uniel characters super broken in terms of fighting game characters. They're probably getting nerfed beyond belief just so every other franchise stands a chance.

Would rather have them bring the other franchises characters up to uniel levels for that crossover madness
WarRock
(07-17-2017, 03:55 PM)

They should have gone all out and combined every franchise's name into the title instead of making it just a subsection of the BlazBlue series.

Have you ever heard of CT Nu or Arakune? DLC Kokonoe?
LordKasual
(07-17-2017, 03:55 PM)

In their own game, not really, it's a design choice that everyone basically has full-screen normals. But the movement is tuned to that.

In blazblue, everyone can double jump and airdash, something that nobody in UNIEL can do.
yukimeans_snow
(07-17-2017, 03:59 PM)
Is it actually the RWBY cast or is Ruby a guest character?
jack_package_200
(07-17-2017, 04:00 PM)

Gettin the girls together to kick some ass
Secret Character
(07-17-2017, 04:00 PM)
I could very easily see ArcSys sneaking in a character or two from games that aren't these 4 titles. In fact, I'd really love to see a cleaned up Guilty Gear character (which is most likely) and Filia from Skullgirls (as she was rumored to be a UNIEL guest character for a while.)
Novel Mike
(07-17-2017, 04:06 PM)
Those still complaining about RWBY animation, see this short that was just released to give you an idea on how much they've really developed it over the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0
fhqwhgads
(07-17-2017, 04:12 PM)

Watch the first two seasons. It falls off a cliff in quality after.
DrArchon
(07-17-2017, 04:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Secret Character

I could very easily see ArcSys sneaking in a character or two from games that aren't these 4 titles. In fact, I'd really love to see a cleaned up Guilty Gear character (which is most likely) and Filia from Skullgirls (as she was rumored to be a UNIEL guest character for a while.)

ASW did publish Skullgirls in Japan, so it's not impossible.

Still, I'm a pessimist and keeping my hopes in check. I figure it'll just be a bunch of reused BB, P4U and UNIEL sprites, and the only new characters will be the 4 main characters of RWBY.
HeresSomeWeapons
(07-17-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by WarRock

I'm not sure of your point. CT was, what, 5 games ago? Nu and Arakune are nothing like their CT iterations now. Same with CP Kokonoe.
Rutger
(07-17-2017, 04:36 PM)

Grim Reaper is not something Arcsys characters can't handle.

It'll be fine. There will certainly be changes, characters are not going to just be dropped in as they were, but the UNIEL characters are not any more crazy than Arcsys characters.
Gravidee
(07-17-2017, 04:38 PM)

Originally Posted by fhqwhgads

That's a load of BS. If anything, it started at the bottom of the cliff and is slowly making it's way up, both in terms of writing and character animation. I was ready to give up on RWBY after finishing the second volume, because of how low stakes things seemed (not to mention the choreography of the finale battle was pretty lackluster).

Volume 3 was what brought me back to RWBY and they managed to prove to me that the build-up over the last two volumes was not for nothing, that the story direction was actually going somewhere. Volume 4 is essentially the beginning of a new story arc.

The only drop in quality is some of the choreography after Monty's passing, but even then they're still entertaining to watch. Some of the major fights in volume 3 were still great, and volume 4 had the Qrow vs. Tyrian fight as well as the final battle.
WarRock
(07-17-2017, 04:43 PM)

Originally Posted by HeresSomeWeapons

I'm not sure of your point. CT was, what, 5 games ago? Nu and Arakune are nothing like their CT iterations now. Same with CP Kokonoe.

My point is that BB had character as or even more broken than Gordeau. UNIEL characters are going to be fine, the poster I was quoting is worrying over nothing.
fhqwhgads
(07-17-2017, 04:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Gravidee

That's a load of BS. If anything, it started at the bottom of the cliff and is slowly making it's way up, both in terms of writing and character animation. I was ready to give up on RWBY after finishing the second volume, because of how low stakes things seemed (not to mention the choreography of the finale battle was pretty lackluster).

Volume 3 was what brought me back to RWBY and they managed to prove to me that the build-up over the last two volumes was not for nothing, that the story direction was actually going somewhere. Volume 4 is essentially the beginning of a new story arc.

The only drop in quality is some of the choreography after Monty's passing, but even then they're still entertaining to watch. Some of the major fights in volume 3 were still great, and volume 4 had the Qrow vs. Tyrian fight as well as the final battle.

If you enjoy an idiot ball plot, quantity over quality characters and Ruby being a mary sue chosen one deus ex machina then more power to you.
AlfredX1990
(07-17-2017, 04:52 PM)

Probably something in the BlazBlue universe is what causes the crossover, so that would explain why this technically is a BB game, or maybe ASW is not going for a balanced roster and BB may have the most characters since it's the franchise that has most playable characters
yukimeans_snow
(07-17-2017, 04:59 PM)

this is totally backwards. You can skip the first two seasons, or just start at the end of season 2, and you'll be fine. The show becomes something that isn't nothing when Season 3 starts.
Loz246789
(07-17-2017, 05:16 PM)
Gonna have to echo season 3 being the start of the truly good stuff for Rwby. Not to say the previous seasons are bad or anything, but it's largely setup. Season 3 is where they really pulled back the curtain on what they have in mind for the show.

... Slightly more on topic, I wonder what alternate colour schemes we'll get for the Rwby cast/just Ruby if they're stingy. A Qrow colour scheme would be pretty neat for Ruby? However you'd do that?
Gravidee
(07-17-2017, 05:18 PM)

If you enjoy an idiot ball plot,

What makes it an "idiot ball plot"?

quantity over quality characters

What is this even supposed to mean? If anything, the characters have been getting better development since the end of volume 2. Actual character arcs, both for major and minor characters are explored. Hell, even the villains which I did not expect out of this web series. Maybe it all comes down to expectations.

Ruby being a mary sue chosen one deus ex machina then more power to you.

Deus ex machina for that scene? Sure, maybe, but it's not as if she saved the day or anything. Chosen one? Too early to tell, all we know is that she has some kind of special ability, and nothing about about and destiny or prophecy type thing. Mary Sue? I don't think you know what that term means. She has trouble against anything that isn't a Grimm or a nameless thug, doesn't always make the best decisions and is treated normally by everyone else. Nobody in the show treats her like she's some perfect being.
Last edited by Gravidee; 07-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Weltall Zero
(07-17-2017, 05:21 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Yeah I don't mind the asset reuse if it maximizes the roster.

Indeed. I mean, look at MvCI. Asset reuse (or even downgrade, *coughchunlicough*) and still a pretty pitiful roster.
Slater
(07-17-2017, 06:13 PM)

Take a look: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0
Spman2099
(07-17-2017, 07:24 PM)
Junpei, Kanji, Mitsuru, Akihiko, Adachi, Valkenhayn, and Taokaka please.

Every time one of these characters makes it into the game my excitement for it will increase...
ZoronMaro
(07-17-2017, 08:20 PM)
The only relation Undernight has with ArcSys is they published it right? Cause then all I can think about is how they also published Chaos Code, Arcana Heart 3, Skullgirls (in Japan at least), and freeking Melty Blood.

Man, I don't care about HD assets put in a bunch of Morrigan sprites I want 80 characters from a dozen franchises.
randomhugs
(07-17-2017, 08:36 PM)
Monty Oum got noticed for making a series of crossover fighting shorts featuring Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive characters. Now, his own anime inspired creation is in a crossover anime fighter. He would be so proud.
sixteen-bit
(07-17-2017, 08:42 PM)
I fell off the Blaz train years ago, but I always liked Hazama. I hope he makes it in.
A.J.
(07-17-2017, 08:45 PM)

If you enjoy an idiot ball plot, quantity over quality characters and Ruby being a mary sue chosen one deus ex machina then more power to you.

To be fair at least Ruby has something going on with her now rather than just being team leader for no reason and losing fights.
Slamtastic
(07-17-2017, 09:02 PM)

Originally Posted by A.J.

To be fair at least Ruby has something going on with her now rather than just being team leader for no reason and losing fights.

RWBY would be a much better series if they fused Ruby and Jaune into one character.

You might think that the girl who skipped a grade ahead would be the one who didn't know things and had them exposited to her for the audience's sake, lagged behind the rest in fighting skills and had to train and grew as the series progressed, and got bullied.

But then our main character wouldn't be amazing cool 100% of the time, and we couldn't have that.
Last edited by Slamtastic; 07-17-2017 at 10:50 PM.
A.J.
(07-17-2017, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Slamtastic

RWBY would be a much better series if they fused Ruby and Jaune into one character.

You might think that the girl who skipped a grade ahead would be the one who didn't know things and had them exposited to her for the audience's sake, lagged behind the rest in fighting skills and had to train and grew as the series progressed, and got bullied.

But then our main character would be amazing cool 100% of the time, and we couldn't have that.

I 100% agree. Jaune pretty much has all the characterization that the main character should have while Ruby has the main character mantle and her quirky nerd dialogue.
BackwardCap
(07-18-2017, 12:15 AM)

Originally Posted by WarRock

Having a few broken characters isn't going to save the rest of the roster when almost all of Uniel is rediculously powerful.
WarRock
(07-18-2017, 12:19 AM)
You should play UNIEL, and maybe crossover fighters in general.
Dr. Kitty Muffins
(07-18-2017, 12:22 AM)
English voices? I'm in.
BackwardCap
(07-18-2017, 12:28 AM)
I'm just going to pretend/assume that isn't directed towards me.
sir_bumble_bee
(07-18-2017, 12:30 AM)
I hope this game ends up being busted but insanely fun in the vein of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. ASW has a lot of character sprites to pull from so I'm expecting a giant roster.
Blu(e)
(07-18-2017, 01:13 AM)

Having a few broken characters isn't going to save the rest of the roster when almost all of Uniel is rediculously powerful.

I don't know. Amane from BlazBlue and Margaret from P4U2 seems OP to me.

I guess posting a full meter combo and saying how powerful they are based on that seems a bit disingenuous to me though. They're all very powerful.
Last edited by Blu(e); 07-18-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Slater
(07-18-2017, 01:25 AM)

Yesssss this is what the story mode needs to be
Last edited by Slater; 07-18-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Rutger
(07-18-2017, 01:27 AM)

Have you played UNIEL? It really seems like you've just seen a video of Grim Reaper and are judging everything off of that.

The characters are not ridiculously overpowered, not any more so than the average Arcsys game. Hell, they'll probably need those massive attacks in order to keep up if they keep their very limited air mobility options compared to the Arcsys characters.
cj_iwakura
(07-18-2017, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Slater

Yesssss this is what the story mode needs to be

If they really wanted to be clever, both BlazBlue and Persona revolve heavily around the Izanami/Izanagi mythos.

If they wanted to be clever.