• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

nillapuddin
(07-17-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Servbot24

What does fitness have to do with puffy cheeks? Go to the gym, fit people have all sorts of faces.

Also this has no relation to Andromeda, those faces looked terrible due to botched execution, not an attempt to sabotage the good looks of a character that they themselves designed. Lol.

There is a relation to Andromeda, you and i are not talking about the same thing.

I'm early versions of the game the female main character was much "more attractive" looking, then somehow before launch her face morphed and became less angular and more round. She also now bares no resemblance to her source model, yet the male character looks the same. Peebee also somehow between prerelease and final had the same chubby cheeks protocol applied to her.

Dude ryder looks identical, female ryder was apparently too hot. There's no denying it.
Last edited by nillapuddin; 07-17-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Irishonion
(07-17-2017, 05:52 PM)
You can not like the current design of Aloy, but calling it ugly is a bit much.

Not that I'm on the bandwagon of hating The Tidus we have. Fits the athlete that he is in that time line. But that early design of him is really good
Servbot24
[CIA SLOWLY TAKES OFF HOOD]
(07-17-2017, 05:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Chao

Loish did the concept art for Aloy? Cool!

Some of it, a lot of artists contributed. But yes it is cool :)
Winston1547
(07-17-2017, 05:53 PM)
Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil

edgefusion
(07-17-2017, 05:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Duxxy3

Douchebag cole from Infamous 2.

I will never forget the utterly ceaseless bitching and whining GAF did over this (imo far superior) redesign of Cole. Pages and pages of moaning over it, crazy.
The Albatross
(07-17-2017, 05:55 PM)
Not completely different, but the original Corvo Attano designs for Dishonored had a much more Thief-like element. His iconic mask is replaced with just a shroud that covers his face, and the more setting-appropriate outfit is replaced with just black robes.

OmegaX0

Originally Posted by Rexatality

I think it's fair to say that people who prefer early Aloy designs is because the final design ain't fap material for them

Then it's just as fair to say that people who prefer the final Aloy design is because it is fap material for them.
Kinyou

Originally Posted by Rexatality

I think it's fair to say that people who prefer early Aloy designs is because the final design ain't fap material for them

That's not fair to say at all
ShadowSwordmaster
(07-17-2017, 05:56 PM)

Originally Posted by The Albatross

Not completely different, but the original Corvo Attano designs for Dishonored had a much more Thief-like element. His iconic mask is replaced with just a shroud that covers his face, and the more setting-appropriate outfit is replaced with just black robes.

That is interesting.
Dec
(07-17-2017, 05:57 PM)
That Gordon Freeman would have been great. I want to be the crazy bearded man hitting things with a crowbar while people are having serious conversations.
Radogol
(07-17-2017, 06:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DemWalls

Geralt in TW 2

I'd post the first version from the first game (when he was simply a witcher, not Geralt), but it's a bit harder to find.

Here you go:

Last edited by Radogol; 07-17-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Servbot24
(07-17-2017, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by nillapuddin

There is a relation to Andromeda, you and i are not talking about the same thing.

I'm early versions of the game the female main character was much "more attractive" looking, then somehow before launch her face morphed and became less angular and more round. She also now bares no resemblance to her source model, yet the male character looks the same. Peebee also somehow between prerelease and final had the same chubby cheeks protocol applied to her.

Dude ryder looks identical, female ryder was apparently too hot. There's no denying it.

Seems like you're jumping into conspiracy theory land way too fast. Many male models are already muscular. Many female models are not that muscular. Therefore in an action game, a female character may require more deviations from the reference material than the male character. And it is only that - reference material. A few games specifically want to feature the actor, but most games want their own identifiable face for the series rather than a notable actor, so the face receives some modifications. Not to mention the reference material is chosen to support pre-dev concept art, not the other way around.
Crossing Eden
Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
(07-17-2017, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by UnemployedVillain

I found this kind of funny considering how braided her hair is anyway. That poster just has a preference for a different hair style, but let's not act like the one she has is any more practical and wouldn't take a long time to style as well

It absolutely is practical. It's not braided in a way that looks perfect or very direct, and has a ton of split ends and loose strands. It looks like an effort made over the course of a few years.

Originally Posted by Radogol

Here you go:

CD dodged so many bullets goddamn.
Pilgrimzero
(07-17-2017, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by HellforLeather

WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR FFFAAAAAACCCCCEEEE?

This Gordon listens to metal and rides a Harley. He doesn't use guns just a tire iron that he wields like a modern day Viking.
Lemonte
(07-17-2017, 06:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Llyrwenne

Journey

I love these. I can see why they chose that one. It fits the theme and gameplay. The bigger ones would fit in more combat focused game.
UnemployedVillain
(07-17-2017, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Crossing Eden

It absolutely is practical. It's not braided in a way that looks perfect or very direct, and has a ton of split ends and loose strands. It looks like an effort made over the course of a few years.

And if someone preferred a different hair style that one would somehow be less "practical" or require a professional styling when her current one didn't?
Crossing Eden
(07-17-2017, 06:09 PM)

And if someone preferred a different hair style that one would somehow be less "practical" or require a professional styling when her current one didn't?

I'm saying I disagree with the idea of removing it since it's absolutely crucial to her design. I think people also miss the point where these designs have to be translated into 3D. For instance, young Aloy has some similar elements to this piece of concept art with the bangs and such.

it would look incredibly goofy on her as an adult.
Last edited by Crossing Eden; 07-17-2017 at 06:15 PM.
OchreHand
(07-17-2017, 06:10 PM)
Had no idea Loish did art for Horizon. Those drawings are freakin beautiful.
UnemployedVillain
(07-17-2017, 06:11 PM)

I'm saying I disagree with the idea of removing it since it's absolutely crucial to her design.

You thinking it's crucial doesn't make it crucial.

Also, those Witcher designs remind me of Mike Mignola's art style, so naturally I approve
DemWalls
(07-17-2017, 06:12 PM)

Here you go:

👍

CD dodged so many bullets goddamn.

I think they all look pretty cool and unique, with the exception of the last one's hairstyle. But yeah, that artist whose name is worse than a tongue twister has a very particular style, I understand not liking it.
Adaren

Originally Posted by Golnei

Also, look at all these initial Bayonetta designs.

Glad these made it on the first page. It's crazy how many varieties of "fashionable witch" Mari came up with before they settled on a final design.

Here's a video of one of the early Bayonetta models in action.
zoukka

Here you go:

Damn if only Witcher looked like that.
Kinyou
(07-17-2017, 06:13 PM)

Here you go:

Can't imagine the Witcher games without Geralt, let alone with one of those meatheads
FloatOn
(07-17-2017, 06:15 PM)
Vega from Street Fighter 2 originally looked like a sword wielding knight

UnemployedVillain
(07-17-2017, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by FloatOn

Vega from Street Fighter 2 originally looked like a sword wielding knight

Golnei
(07-17-2017, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Adaren

Glad these made it on the first page. It's crazy how many varieties of "fashionable witch" Mari came up with before they settled on a final design.

Here's a video of one of the early Bayonetta models in action.

That one also remained in the files of the released game. I wonder why they never made it available as an alternate costume, considering it was fully functional?
FloatOn
(07-17-2017, 06:19 PM)

fixed
DodgeDusk
(07-17-2017, 06:22 PM)
Roy - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade

Not a great deal of change.
Crossing Eden
(07-17-2017, 06:24 PM)

You thinking it's crucial doesn't make it crucial.

Considering how prominent her unkempt long hair is in literally every piece of key art you can find of her in the artbook and the stuff posted online by the concept artists, yes, pretty sure it's safe to say that it's crucial to her character design.

Originally Posted by DemWalls

I think they all look pretty cool and unique, with the exception of the last one's hairstyle. But yeah, that artist whose name is worse than a tongue twister has a very particular style, I understand not liking it.

They look so obviously like video game power fantasies and nothing like how Geralt is described, (like why would his hair be spikey?). Not to mention look very antithetical to his dancer like fighting style.

Originally Posted by zoukka

Damn if only Witcher looked like that.

They made the right choice in the end:

mmmmm
ProgenitorCastle
(07-17-2017, 06:28 PM)
Elza Walker, a character in Resident Evil/Biohazard 1.5 that in the final version of Resident Evil/Biohazard 2 ended up becoming an entirely different character, Claire Redfield. Despite being two different characters, their designs still share several similarities:

Elza Walker:

Claire Redfield:

Also, here's a handy image that compares the in-game models for both:

Wanderer5
(07-17-2017, 06:29 PM)
Not quite protagonist I suppose, but Genji and Hanzo being split from one character is really intriguing.

Last edited by Wanderer5; 07-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.
careksims
(07-17-2017, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Jawbreaker

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn.

Damn. Rather have this. Stylized >>>>> realism. Ugh if I wanted realistic, I would just go outside.
Souldestroyer Reborn
(07-17-2017, 06:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Jawbreaker

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn.

Looks awesome. Loved looking through the artwork that came with the game.

I think she looked too good in these though, and what we got was a more realistic Aloy.
Lunarwhale
(07-17-2017, 06:34 PM)
geralt as anything other than a foxy grandpa is just wrong to me
LinkSlayer64
(07-17-2017, 06:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Winston1547

Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil

It would be amazing to see Dan go up against some of these designs as some sort of rivals in his goal to save Gallowmere/the world. He can't be the only hero who needs redeeming.
Jocund
(07-17-2017, 06:37 PM)

They look so obviously like video game power fantasies and nothing like how Geralt is described, (like why would his hair be spikey?). Not to mention look very antithetical to his dancer like fighting style.

A poster said he wasn't meant to be Geralt at that stage, so those more off-kilter designs really aren't that bizarre. I'm glad they did go with Geralt in the end, though.
BkzUzi
(07-17-2017, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Duxxy3

Douchebag cole from Infamous 2.

Huh, is it because he has hair he's a douchebag????
First it was beanies and now it's hair.
Toxi
(07-17-2017, 06:39 PM)
Metroid Prime's original Samus design seen at Spaceworld was pretty rough. The worst part by far was the stubby arm cannon.

Last edited by Toxi; 07-17-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Gin-Shiio
(07-17-2017, 06:39 PM)
It is precisely because Aloy just looks like an everyday woman that she is beautiful. You guys admit it yourself when you say what we got ended up being more realistic. She's not meant to be a barbie on display.
Crossing Eden
(07-17-2017, 06:41 PM)

Originally Posted by careksims

Damn. Rather have this. Stylized >>>>> realism. Ugh if I wanted realistic, I would just go outside.

Anyway....I find the concepts of Connor from AC to be interesting because they were constantly trying to find a balance between the influence of the colonialism of the era and his native American culture:

Originally Posted by Jocund

A poster said he wasn't meant to be Geralt at that stage, so those more off-kilter designs really aren't that bizarre. I'm glad they did go with Geralt in the end, though.

Oh ok. Still doesn't fit the aesthetic of The Witcher imho. But then again the aesthetic of that series didn't hit it's stride until the second game.
Servbot24
(07-17-2017, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Toxi

Metroid Prime's original Samus design seen at Spaceworld was pretty rough. The worst part by far was the stubby arm cannon.

Dear god that is ugly, lol

The way Metroid Prime turned out seems like such a complete miracle. Still can't comprehend how it happened.
Ahasverus
(07-17-2017, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by BruceCLea

This is Hannah Hoekstra, the model for Alloy. She's drop dead in my opinion.

Then they fucked up.

it's not that Aloy is ugly, it that she looks blaaaand.
KillLaCam
(07-17-2017, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Clockwork5

TIL if you are thin and good looking you aren't a real person.

You can be thin. You just have to have a really wide face to be real.

S

Delsin before he got Troy Bakered:

I know it's not THAT big of a change but I would have preferred this by far
Last edited by KillLaCam; 07-17-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Fuchsdh
(07-17-2017, 06:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Toxi

I don't get the idea of muscle armor that doesn't actually conform to human anatomy.
Deft Beck
(07-17-2017, 06:52 PM)
This is a great thread, but please stop bickering about Aloy and retreading the same arguments about female character designs found in every other terrible thread about character designs. It's getting very tiring.
Crossing Eden
(07-17-2017, 06:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

Then they fucked up.

What game characters look like Aloy?
Garlador
(07-17-2017, 06:54 PM)

Then they fucked up.

I don't see too many women that look like her where I'm from. She'd turn more than a few heads.

Back on track... Link on N64.

Last edited by Garlador; 07-17-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Servbot24

Then they fucked up.

Seriously? If Aloy walked by in real life every head in the room would turn to her. Maybe y'all are hanging out with Victoria's Secret models all day, but in most settings Aloy would be stunning compared to most people.
Ahasverus

What game characters look like Aloy?

Who cares? They still made her look blander than her real counterpart.

Originally Posted by Servbot24

Seriously? If Aloy walked by in real life every head in the room would turn to her. Maybe y'all are hanging out with Victoria's Secret models all day, but in most settings Aloy would be stunning compared to most people.

The real actress? Sure. Game Alloy? Eeh.
Man Called Aerodynamics
(07-17-2017, 06:56 PM)
I wouldn't even call it a different design for Aloy (apart from the hair), it's the same character just rendered in a different style. Compared to those sketches, her final look in the context of the game is slightly older, slightly less waifish-- less of the cartoon princess vibe. It's entirely appropriate to the game and people saying that they deliberately "made her ugly"-- just yikes.